TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

The Da Vinci Code

I am about 1/3 of the way done and I just can not get enough. Any one else yet read this sure to be classic.

I started to read it, got about 1/3 of the way through, and though it was full of crap.

Guest The Last Free Voice

I finished it last week. I liked it alot. Apparently the writer passed off some artistic lisence as being fact, but it still is good.

Apparently the writer passed off some artistic lisence as being fact.

Yeah, that was my problem. Having a degree in history, I was truly bothered by the liberties he took with historical facts and historical fiction.

I just got done with Angels and Demons. Which is the "prequel" but not quite, but it was the first book I've read by my own choice for a while.

I read it in one day... a long ass car ride. I was amazed, though I did read it in a very fictious, yet 'what if' way. I wasn't taking everything as fact, but just putting thoughts into some of the scenarios he brings up, no matter how false they are.

Yeah, it's just a fictitious book...I think people get too antsy about it.

I've read Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, and I gotta say - DAMN are they similar in style. It's like, the same friggin' book only with a different conspiracy to deal with.

That said, they're still good books. I perfer Angels and Demons myself, because there seems to be more action to it, and I found the Illuminati stuff much more interesting.

Guest SP-1

I want to read it, but haven't had the chance to. And yes, I find the people who think it's intended to be biblical/historical fact annoying because it's just a fictional book. A pastor's wife I know reccommends it so hopefully soon I'll get to check it out.

Guest BDC

While Angels and Demons is WAY better, I have to say a few things.

It seems like Brown almost has an ax to grind in Da Vinci. Catholics must have eaten his dog when he was a kid or something.

As for his style... it's formulatic. BIG SCARY THING, meet chick, guy you assume is the villian, etc.

Secret orders, religious cults, historical conspiracy theory.

It's quite well plotted and quick moving, but the characters have no depth.

It's like a popcorn movie, enjoyable while you're watching it, quickly over with, but not memorable upon completing.

In Angels and Demons, Robert Langdon, an symbolligist, is called to a research facility to examine a dead man who's been branded with a symbol of the Illuminati. In addition, he learns that this same dead man actually created particles of anti-matter, a highly explosive material, which is now gone.

That's the basics of the story. From there of course, he goes to find said Illuminati, and lots of crazy stuff happens.

In The Da Vinci Code, Robert Langdon is called to the Louvre to examine a dead man who left some sort of secret code behind. The code eventually leads Langdon on a trail towards the most important secret in the Catholic Church.

but not memorable upon completing.

That's debatable.

I read it a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a very quick read, and while some historical liberties may have been taken, the story is very compelling.

I finally got around to reading this... and I found it to be ridiculously entertaining, and a fast breezy yet interesting read. I won't pretend to know what is or isn't true.. i'm not a christian and i really dont two shits about whether the stuff is true or not (the same way I dont give two shits about whether the gov. is REALLY hiding aliens when i watch x-files)... but for the purposes of the story, it was great.

By the by, it was clear to me that this was written with a movie in mind... it just has that sort of movement and pacing. Lift out some of the diversions and background info, and you have a pretty solid blueprint for a historical thriller movie... a la National Treasure but with a better script, better director (Ron howard?) and a better actor (Tom hanks I'm hearing).

Anyone want to give me some more info on Dan Brown's other books? I know Angels and Demons is supposedly very similar to DaVinci Code... what about any otehr books he's written, how do they stack up?

Guest theanswer1824

i heard that ron howard is directing and tom hanks is the lead role. haven't seen anything on the net, hear it on local radio.