TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

Here's your blockbuster trade

Awesome, I will now spend the week in search of a Nomar Cubs jersey. Its world series time. If the world series ends up Red Sox/Cubs and Nomar gets the game winning hit, it would be the most unbelievable moment in baseball history.

Awesome, I will now spend the week in search of a Nomar Cubs jersey. Its world series time. If the world series ends up Red Sox/Cubs and Nomar gets the game winning hit, it would be the most unbelievable moment in baseball history.

I totally agree that it will be the most unbelievable moment in baseball history. :D

I actually think Dave Roberts is a more interesting pickup *shrugs*

Fuck Dave Roberts. Fuck Terry Adams. Fuck Jeff Suppan. Fuck Scott Sauerbeck.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I think it's mighty unlikely they resign Clement, given all the other pitchers and pitching prospects they have. That's why I wouldn't be suprised if he was traded somewhere.

Even thought the reds are my home town team I would play for the Cubs over any team in baseball. Who would not want to play for the Cubs. You would get to play in front of sellout crowds in a beautiful stadium. There is a certain romantic quality that comes with the cubs, the white sox just come off as a boring team.

Personally, I think only the Twins came away from this deal poorly. The Cubs got a big boost, both offensively and defensively. The Red Sox got rid of a guy who simply wasn't happy there and was bringing down the club because of it. They also get a decent replacement at shortstop. The Expos get some talented prospects that will surely help them out a bit. The Twins, however, didn't do anything to improve their biggest weak spot: starting pitching. The Benson deal not going their way hurt, but being a part of this deal and not getting any starting pitching that can help right now doesn't seem like the wisest deal.

they got a damn good prospect for a guy who's been benched. I'd say they made out alright.

Murton goes to Chicago....

I will NEVER stop laughing if the Cubbies win the World Series this year, that would just kill the Red Sox Fans. The Curse 2004 :D

Murton goes to the Cubs.

There is literally no reason for the Sox (uh, Red Sox) to make this trade. It boggles one's mind.

Yes, Murton goes to the cubs.

This is an EXCELLENT trade for Boston if you ask me.

Nomar missed most of this season and without him their offense was still in the top 5 in baseball. With the defense INSANELY improved thanks to Cabrera and Meint-whatever, and the addition of Dave Roberts into right field replacing injured Nixon.

I love this deal because it adds the small ball speed nature to the already potent power of Manny/Ortiz.

Defense is the ONLY reason the sox are so far behind the Yankees. Look at the unearned runs the Sox have given up compared to every other MLB team. I have watched TONS of poor errors ruin games for this team this season. I'm extremely excited to watch my Red Sox again, especially when Pokey reese comes back from his injury giving them 3 Gold Glove infielders and a very reliable Mueller at 3B too.

if you don't mind my saying so, I think you smoke crack rocks.

Man...I'm not sure if I'm happy with this trade(esp. considering we dealt Hanley Ramirez for Dave Roberts as well). I'm pretty high on Matt Murton and losing him really stings. Cabrera isn't much of a hitter despite his 2003 season(.297/.347/.460) and I do love the pickup of Mientkiewicz(hit .300/.393/.450 in 2003 and .306/.387/.464 in 2001 and is also a good defense minded player).

Guest Brian

They needed to improve their defense and they got two gold glove calibre infielders, plus Reese in the wings. They picked up Roberts who's like 33/34 in SB, which is something they needed, They filled some holes that they had, and Nomar was literally not happy, not going to get resigned, and was injured most of the year.

Cabrera's playing well below what he should be, and hopefully hitting in Fenway with a home park will help.

I've always thought that it'd take one curse to break another curse......

I like this trade. I wanted Nomar run out of town as soon as I found out his feelings were hurt by the ARod talks. I was like "Ah fuck.....I know how people play when they're pissed at the team."

I will admit that I thought Douggie D was a natural target for Boston, but I certainly didn't think they would trade Nomar for him.

I like the additions of Roberts/Douggie but I'm unsure of Cabrera. Looking at Nomar, he had a F% of .971, .965 and .971 with 20, 25 and 18 errors. Cabrera had F%'s of .975, .962 and .986 with errors of 18, 29 and 11.

Looking at the two, I'm starting to feel better with Cabrera coming in(41, 43 and 47 doubles over the past 3 years which bodes well for Fenway).

Guest Brian

Nomar also hit .243 on the road last year and Cabrera is a double hitter, which should work well in Fenway. What's the projected line-up with the acquisitions?

First of all it was henri Stanley that we traded for roberts...NOT Hanley ramirez...that would be just retarded.

Second I don't smoke crack I watch every Red Sox game every year and I know what this team needs to win.

Nomar was not part of this team at ANY time this season and wasn't adding anything productive on or off the field to this team this season. He was 100% gone to free agency after this season ends, so whats wrong with picking up some players who can play fundamental baseball without having the bitching and moaning the god damn superstar retards always have here in Boston.

I would much rather watch a team like the Florida Marlins with their good defense and good speed with timely hitting and good pitching that watch a team that only thinks about OBP and doesn't pay any attention to Defense. We already have good pitching, especially when Williamson comes back this week. This team needed defense BADLY!

Thank you Theo for making this a better team and making sure the future looks brighter at the same time.

Nomar also hit .243 on the road last year and Cabrera is a double hitter, which should work well in Fenway. What's the projected line-up with the acquisitions?

I'm assuming Millar will be in RF so long as Trot is injured. Ortiz will DH or alternate with Mientkiewicz at 1B/DH during the season. Cabrera will probably be the starting SS.

I'd place Cabrera at 2nd(leaving Ortiz, Manny and Millar behind him) and I'd maybe slide Doug in the #5 spot and push Millar back to the #6 spot. Roberts...uhm, is he going to RF or is Millar staying there? If Roberts gets into the lineup, I'd put him at the 8 spot maybe or switch Cabrera to the 8 hole and Roberts to the 2nd spot. *head explodes*

Right now I think when Pokey comes back the lineup should be...

Damon CF

Cabrera SS

Ortiz DH

Manny LF

Varitek C

Meint-whatever 1B

Mueller 3B

Roberts RF

Reese 2B

So wait

The Cubs kept the starting rotation intact AND they grabbed Nomar?

.....how the hell did they pull THAT off???

According to the AP, this is the trade:

Cubs get:

Nomar

Matt Murton

Red Sox get:

Orlando Cabrera

Doug Mientkiewicz

Montreal get:

Francis Beltran

Brendan Harris

Alex Gonzalez

Twins get:

Justin Jones

Right now, that seems to be it.

Daaaaamn the Cubs bent Boston over and gave it to them with no lube on this one. How do you trade a freaking All-Star SS for essentially.. depth? You've got to get Clement in that deal. They trade Nomar for average players, don't get rid of Lowe, and don't get a starting pitcher. How can Boston consider this good?