TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Toys R Us may stop selling toys?

MSN Money Article

Toys R Us, a toy retailer slammed by intense competition from discounters such as Wal-Mart, may sell its toy business and focus on its fast-growing Babies R Us unit, the company said on Wednesday.

Toys R Us plans to take about $150 million in markdowns in the second quarter, primarily to liquidate selected U.S. toy store inventory. It said it would not make a decision to close any of its stores between now and the conclusion of the 2004 holiday season.

Another piece of my childhood ripped away. I used to love going to TRU, mainly for their video games. I used to love picking 2 or 3 slips and then trying to decide what game I really wanted. They also had a pretty big Lego selection, which I used to be really into at the time.

Of course, I just realized that the current store is nothing like the old one (its not even in the same place here) and TRU has basically sucked for the last 2 years + (I did get NFL/NBA 2k3 fo $9.99 ea a while back).

I loved the store as a kid, but there are too many palces to get toys now. Their high priced worked before WalMart, Target, and everyone else stocked up on toys and could sell them cheaper. But even shopping last year for my sisters it was fun to just walk around the place/

Guest Staravenger

Toys R' Us and KB Toys were my places. Now there's nothing. Last time I went to a Toys R' Us I bought like a box of baseball cards and got Star Wars Episodes 2 DVD for $10 the day it came out.

I was a Children's Palace kid too. That place has been replaced by some craft store or some such. What a waste.

It's not a locan chain, since I was in Charleston, SC.

The TRU here has stayed relatively the same for the endless amount of time it's been around. It would suck to see it changed though.

Guest Vitamin X

Last time I went to a Toys R Us, my friend and I got kicked out for building a ramp in the bicycle section and launching off it using the interesting rides they had.

I go there to poke around sometimes, but their lack of competant employees and incredibly high prices keep me from buying anything.

I do Wal-Mart and Target for my toys...

Guest El Satanico

I was also a Children's Palace kid, but all of my local Children's Palace stores closed and became Media Play stores 10 or more years ago.

Funny thing is that my nearest Children's Palace was about 100 feet from one of my area's TRU stores and about 500 feet from one of my area's malls containing a KBtoys store.

Meh it sucks that Toys R Us might do that but honestly the stores suck now. Everything are on pillers now. I always liked the aisles better and more than less they sell novlety stuff that aren't toys, like mini fridges or lighting stuff. But even through the stores suck a bit now, I would want Toys R Us to stick around.

Toys R Us is running a 50% off sale on some of their games, making them $10-20. Not as great as the CC deal, but I see SC2 and SSX3 for $10 for the Gamecube which would be a good deal.

The 50% off games list from cheapassgamer.com

----

Updated: August 13, 8 pm PST

Dreamcast:

Bomberman Online - $7.50

Carrier - $10

NFL 2K2 - $10

Unreal Tournament - $3.45

Virutal Tennis - $2.50

N64:

Earthworm Jim 3D - $10

MegaMan 64 - $25

Paper Mario - $5.30

Perfect Dark - $5

Pokemon Snap - $10

Playstation:

Arc The Lad Collection - $35

Dragon Warrior VII - $15

Final Fantasy Tactics - $7.50

Front Mission 3 - $20

SaGa Frontier 2 - $15

Time Crisis - $10

Torneko: The Last Hope - $6

GameBoy Advance:

Boktai - $5

D&D Eye of the Beholder - $10

Demi Kids: Light - $15

Munch's Oddyssey - $10

Onimusha Tactics - $10

Pinball of the Dead - $10

Phantasy Star Collection - $10

Star X - $5

Super Dodge Ball - $10

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -

Virtua Tennis - $5

WWE Road To Wrestlemania X8 - $7

GameCube:

Bloodrayne - $7.50

Bloody Roar -

Eternal Darkness - $20

Freedom Fighters - $10

Gladius - $25

Harry Potter Quidditch Cup -

Ikaruga - $20

Lost Kingdoms 2 - $10

LOTR: Two Towers - $10

MegaMan Network Transmissions - $15

Namco Museum - $10

Pacman Vs./World 2 - $10

P.N.03 - $10

Rogue Ops - $10

Sega Soccer Slam - $10

Simpsons Hit & Run - $20

Sims -

Sphinx - $6.50

Spy Hunter -

Soul Calibur 2 - $10

SSX3 - $10

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III - $10

Summoner 2: A Goddess Reborn - $10

Super Monkey Ball - $10

Tony Hawk's Underground - $10

Wario World - $15

PS2:

.hack 3 - $15

Amplitude - $15

BofF: Dragon Quarter - $10

Devil May Cry - $10

Disgaea - $25

DDR Max 2 - $20

Dynasty Tactics 2 - $15

Dynasty Warriors 2 - $10

Fantavision - $7.50

Finding Nemo -

Freaky Flyers - $10

Frequency - $7.50

Gallop Racer 2003 - $25

Guilty Gear X2 - $15

Haven - $5

ICO - $15

King of Fighters 2000/2001 - $15

Kya -

Mark of Kri - $7.50

Need For Speed: HP2 - $10

Okage -

Primal - $15

Ratchet and Clank Going Commando - $20

REZ - $12.50

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - $15

Savage Skies - $6.50

Secret Weapons Over Normandy - $15

Silent Hill 3 - $10

Skygunner - $25

Street Fighter (?) - $10

Terminator: DofF - $20

Tokyo Extreme Racing 3 - $10

Unlimited Saga - $7.50-$10

Virtua Fighter 4 (non-GH) - $10

Warhammer 40k - $10

World Rally Championship - $15

Zone of the Enders 2 - $10

X-Box:

007 Nightfire - $10

Beyond Good and Evil - $10

Buffy - $15

Chase - $8

Deus Ex: Invisible Wars - $10

DDR Ultramix (w/Pad) - $35

Fatal Frame - $25

Freedom Fighters - $10

Gauntlet - $15

Gladius - $15

Hunter: Redeemer - $10

Jedi Knights - Jedi Academy - $15

Kelly Slater Pro Surfing - $10

Kill.Switch - $20

Madden 2002 - $10

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - $20

Matt Hoffman - $10

MGS2: Substance - $8

Midnight Club 2 - $10

Morrowind GOTY- $15

Moto GP2 - $20

Need For Speed: HP2 - $10

Otogi - $15

Panzer Dragoon Orta - $15

Prince of Persia - $10

Roadkill - $10

Seablade - $5.50

Secret Weapons Over Normandy - $15

Sims - $10

Speed Kings - $10

Sphinx - $6.50

Star Wars: Obi-Wan - $10

Superman: Man of Steel - $10

Tao Feng - $10

Timesplitters - $10

Transworld Surf - $10

UFC: Tapout 1 - $10

UFC: Tapout 2 - $10

Unreal Tournament - $10

Voodoo Vince - $10

Wallace and Grommit - $20

Whiplash - $15

Whiteout - $5

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions - $10

XIII - $10

Miscellaneous:

PS2 Bundle Pack - $115

X-Box Game Case - $2.50

Children's Palace ruled my childhood. I remember buying my first SNES game at the one in Monroeville plus countless Transformers and Star Wars figures when I was younger.

Guest El Satanico
Children's Palace ruled my childhood. I remember buying my first SNES game at the one in Monroeville

Monroeville Mall...aka zombie movie fan mecca?

Yes Sir. I used to shop there all the time as a kid. Never knew about the movie until last year when it was recommended here on the boards.

Walking the mall these days after seeing that flick makes me mark out everytime.

I've rarely stepped foot into my local Toys R Us ever since the mall was built a half mile away from it. Even then, I only go in to look in the video games section.

I'll probably go in before work this week to see if I can snag a few good marked down games.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I used to always go there as a kid. It was always the best place for Video Games and Wrestling Figures. I have to admit though, I always have a good time there everytime I have to go shopping at Christmas and for birthdays though.......I guess I am kind of still a kid at heart......or I'm fucking retarded.

There are some good deals on the games, there. Rogue Squadron III for only $10... I'm there. I might pick up Simpsons Hit & Run, too. I never got the chance to play these two games.

Guest syncer55

Time to get those killer bargains coming up. Hope they have a bunch of blowout sales soon.

I worked for the Toys R Us in Augusta, GA for about 5 months in 2001. It amazes me that the stores have managed to stay open for as long as they have. It is easily one of the most poorly-run stores I have ever worked for. No one in management there seemed to know what they were doing, much less how to efficiently run the store. Though, when items went on clearance, you could get them for next to nothing. I was able to pick up several wrestling figures while I was there for between $1.99-$2.99. Also, I remember getting the old Titantron Live Entrance Stage (the one that came with a Vince McMahon figure) for $4.99. I think if the company had focused more on selling TOYS, instead of clothes, things may have went better for them.

I worked for the Toys R Us in Augusta, GA for about 5 months in 2001.

Augusta?!?! My parents are from there. Which ToysRUs? Was it the one that's not too far from the Bobby Jones Expressway?

You're right about it being poorly run, though. I have a friend who worked there briefly part-time just to raise some extra cash for the holiday shopping season. He quit after only a couple months because he couldn't deal with the bullshit.

Yep Vyce, thats the one. About 3 months after I left, there was a massive walk-out on the store manager where all but 3 employees left. Finally, some folks from TRU corporate came to the store, releaved the manager of his duties, and now there is an even bigger jackass running the place.

Guest Greg Valentine

Wow I'm from Augusta too! That TRU is terrible, with a minimum 15 min. wait whenever you wanna check out for the most part. Still go look at wrestling figures every once in a while for nostalgia :) .