TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

I think they probably exaggerated a lot in the flashfowards for dramatic effect: Jack saying Saywer chose to stay behind, when its very clear he didn't choose to stay behind

That's just completely wrong. I don't see how him making a choice to jump out of the chopper to save everyone else was anything other than him choosing to stay behind.

Jack made it sound like a completely different sitation to what it was though.

And was Sawyer supposed to do? Kick Hurley or Kate out of helicoper? Jack wasn't going anywhere, so Sawyer had to sacrifice or they would all die. He didn't have much of a choice at all. For Jack to turn around and say 'he choose to stay behind' is pretty dickish.

Season 1 or 2 Sawyer would have said "Take a swim, Garfield" and then kicked Hurley out

I think they probably exaggerated a lot in the flashfowards for dramatic effect: Jack saying Saywer chose to stay behind, when its very clear he didn't choose to stay behind

That's just completely wrong. I don't see how him making a choice to jump out of the chopper to save everyone else was anything other than him choosing to stay behind.

Jack made it sound like a completely different sitation to what it was though.

And was Sawyer supposed to do? Kick Hurley or Kate out of helicoper? Jack wasn't going anywhere, so Sawyer had to sacrifice or they would all die. He didn't have much of a choice at all. For Jack to turn around and say 'he choose to stay behind' is pretty dickish.

If Jack was so serious about getting everyone off the island, he should have been the one that vacated the chopper.

And for all the shit that I give the writers, I will give them credit for one thing: they didn't just make the male protagonist a 100% altruistic angel. If anything, he was the one that was portrayed as being the least likely to listen to reason, or the least likely to go along with what other people wanted. It added a tinge of reality to the character. Then again, it adds fuel to the fire to those of us that hate him.

While I agree with Perrineau on some things (it was absolutely idiotic to bring him back for such a small role in a handful of episodes) I have to laugh at his attempts to make it a race thing. To paraphrase someone from the fark boards: evidently in Perrineau's world, Hispanic Hugo & Middle Eastern Sayid are "white".

But even though Michael's role was small this season, it totally made sense and had purpose into what he did before he bailed from the island, and what he felt he needed to do to "make up" for abandoning the rest of the crew prior. Sure, I also would have liked to see more with him and Walt, but I think its' supposed to be bittersweet for a reason. Think of Michael as some sort of ass backwards prophet of sorts.

Going back again to the Locke stuff, my assumption is he leaves the island because he knows it needs help, and somehow he finds out (more than likely via Richard) that this is what he MUST do to save the island.....leave, and only being able to return IF he brings back everyone who left AND he dies. Whether that means Walt and Desmond as well is completely up to speculation, but I would assume so. Keep in mind if Locke left via the Orchid (which seems totally what will happen since he moreless only knows about it, other than Ben) as Ben stated, he CANNOT return to the island. So this may explain why Locke PERHAPS kills himself, kind of a self fulfilling prophecy that he has to kill himself, to be able to return back to the island and then within such, become a spirit akin to Charlie, Jack's Dad, etc. That's the only way he can get back and help, of course with the rest of the crew. I would assume the Jeremy name tagged to Locke is in fact his real name in some capacity, or he changes it when he finds his real father? I could be way off there, but who knows.

I'm still a little skeptical if Sayed actually kills Locke via some manipulation by Ben (who's main deal seems to be to get revenge on Whidmore by trying to locate Penny and killing her) or what occurs exactly there. Also, very curious where is this safe place Sayed tells Hurley they must go to. I'm thinking its all just bait by Ben to get what he wants, but we'll see.

While I agree that 3 years would be a long enough time to cool people's perceptions of these survivors being celebrities, it isn't necessarily the case. In the season 3 finale, Jack was acknowledged as famous or a savior or something by a guy behind him in line at the pharmacy, roughly the same time frame as he went to the funeral. I imagine that there were books written, and perhaps a movie made, and it is not out of the realm to think that 3 years later would be around the time that such things would be published or produced. These 6 people were given a group name, got massive payouts from Oceanic, and had a lot of publicity. I am willing to bet that they are still recognizable, and people would at least talk about two of them showing up for a funeral that no one else went to. That funeral director would have sold the story to the tabloids in a heartbeat.

Jack was also drunk, angry, and jealous when he said that to Kate. So analyzing his comment as being kind of rude and untrue seems like a logical one. He and Sawyer don't like each other. Sawyer left him to die at least twice and Jack once tortured him. They both love the same woman and Jack once had his heartbroken when he discovered Kate slept with him. He was pissed off that his girl was keeping secrets about her ex, who just happened to be a bad dude he had history with. Toss in that Jack is probably harboring some major guilt about the events of that day from leaving Jin on the boat to leaving Juliette and the others behind to Sawyer jumping and them having no idea if he made it back before the island went away.

I don't think Kate's reaction to Locke is unrealistic. I think we the viewers sort of lost track of how much reason the Survivors have to distrust and hate Locke. He's kept important secrets from them, he's endangered them with his missions. He was partly responsible in Boone's death and he killed Naomi when she was trying to get them off the island (which is what Kate wanted). Under his watch dozens were murdered and Claire was lost. He kidnapped Hurley at gun point. He exiled Kate from the Other's town. He made the island disappear stranding dozens who wanted to get off and leaving the 6 to die if it wasn't for Penny's boat. That seems like plenty to not consider Locke a friend or someone you like. He also nearly blew up Hurley in the S1 finale and dropped Kate down into the hatch against her wishes in the S2 opener. He also tried to kill Mikhail in cold blood after stupidly letting him go freely, blowing up his bunker, and lying about it all. Oh, he also blew up the sub that was going to get Jack off the island. Miss anything?

And none of that is addressing whatever happened when he came to Kate and Jack that led Jack to leave Kate and Aaron "for their safety." Locke told them something that Jack believes and Kate doesn't and which destroyed their "family." That's a good reason to hate a man even if you discount all that other stuff where he was a lying, manipulative killer and kidnapper who did everything he could to keep them from getting off the island.

Kearny wasn't actually at the helicopter, was he? He went chasing Kate and Ben through the forest and then he and Sayid tumbled down a hill. Presuming they left his body where it fell he wouldn't have necessarily been all that close to the chopper or the Other's camp. Also, while he might have known about the elevator all along he also just might have noticed it because Locke and Ben didn't clean up after themselves. Didn't Ben have to move a shelf of flowers to get to it? If it doesn't move back on its own, there you go. The thing that was concealing the elevator was no longer concealing it.

While I agree that 3 years would be a long enough time to cool people's perceptions of these survivors being celebrities, it isn't necessarily the case. In the season 3 finale, Jack was acknowledged as famous or a savior or something by a guy behind him in line at the pharmacy, roughly the same time frame as he went to the funeral. I imagine that there were books written, and perhaps a movie made, and it is not out of the realm to think that 3 years later would be around the time that such things would be published or produced. These 6 people were given a group name, got massive payouts from Oceanic, and had a lot of publicity. I am willing to bet that they are still recognizable, and people would at least talk about two of them showing up for a funeral that no one else went to. That funeral director would have sold the story to the tabloids in a heartbeat.

Cmon, lets stop getting our broad generalizations muddled with common sense here. The funeral was for a virtual nobody that, for whatever reason, nobody would even sign away his body for. The funeral was in a very urban and "who gives a fuck" area of wherever this was supposed to be. Jack even went so far as to break into the funeral home with ease. If we want to be REALISTIC, realistically nobody is going to care if so and so went to so and so's funeral. And the funeral director didn't know who Locke really was, so what's your point?

Regarding Perrineue: I've read its actually quite frustrating to be an actor on lost if you aren't one of the major characters (locke, kate, jack, sawyer). Because its such a large ensamble cast, the pay isn't terrific and they don't get that much air time. I think that was why Harold left the first time. I remember Dominic Monaghan saying a lot of the cast just hang out with nothing to do for days on end and it was quite frustrating. Look at Emilie De Ravin: Her character's been doing nothing for the past 2 years and now she's doing even less with this whole claire gone AWOL storyline. But she's still under contract so she can't do anything else. When you get episodes centred around Jack and his tatoos, I could understand why the rest of the cast feel under appreciated, like Perrineue does.

I think most everyone from the cast of Lost can still do other side projects while still being under contract, man.

I think most everyone from the cast of Lost can still do other side projects while still being under contract, man.

During the hiatus they can, but I don't think they can do anything during filming which is like 9 months of the year. Or that's how most tv shows work.

I think Harold was always angry because he was probably the most famous actor when the show started, but he never had anything that good to do.

He was in the Matrix sequels and was Mercutio in Baz Lurhman's Romeo + Juliet. Which is probably more high profile than anything else anyone had done at least in terms of box office movie hits . He was the only one I recognised in the pilot.

My point was that Lost has a great cast, but a lot of the actors are under utilised while some of the cast are overexposed. I think Jack, Kate, Sawyer and possibly even Locke have had more flashback episodes than they really need.

HP turning this into a race thing is stupid.

And with Sun confronting Whitmore...is she going after Ben, since he has to take some blame for the ship blowing up?

And the funeral director didn't know who Locke really was, so what's your point?

The funeral director not knowing who Locke really was had no bearing whatsoever on what I was talking about. I said that he would question who this nobody was, that two survivors of Oceanic 815 came to his funeral and they were the only two. Or perhaps there would have been more than two. I am thinking as Kate here: If I go to his funeral, and the other survivors are there, how would that compromise our story and thus, my life.

I didn't say this is what happened, RedJed, I just said that was an avenue that I was thinking to explain why she said "Why would I" go to his funeral." It is likely that something did happen where Locke left the island and pissed Kate off, but this is no less likely. These 6 people are very recognizable, I would say, and considering that Jack was the only one to show up to the guy's funeral, it would have been highly suspect if the only others to show were also 815 survivors. How is that hard to believe?

I can see both sides of the argument. Widmore brought the freighter to the island which, you can argue caused Jin's death via the C4. Having said that it's very possible that Locke visited Sun along with the other O6 and during their conversation mentioned that Ben stabbed Keamy even though he knew it spelled doom for the people on the freighter.

I think Vincent would still be on the island. That dog is awesome when you think about it. Shows up at all the right times, always lending a helping hand...VINCENT IS THE NEW LASSIE!

Sun said she blamed two people for Jin's death, one of them being her father, but we still haven't found out who the second person is yet. It could be Whitmore, Jack, or Ben, hell even the helicopter pilot.

(I forget his name. I seriously can't remember any person who came off the boat's name other than Miles and Daniel and I recently started rememinger Faraday's name.)

Did anyone else feel like Sawyer did what he did more for Hurley than anyone? I mean you're on a helicopter with all those people and you gotta lose weight, everyone's gonna look at the fat dude. I can see a moment down the line in the show where they make mention of that.

And Vincent is the best character on the show. Never in unneccesary drama, always around when shit get's good, always has good dialogue....

I think Vincent would still be on the island. That dog is awesome when you think about it. Shows up at all the right times, always lending a helping hand...VINCENT IS THE NEW LASSIE!

Sun said she blamed two people for Jin's death, one of them being her father, but we still haven't found out who the second person is yet. It could be Whitmore, Jack, or Ben, hell even the helicopter pilot.

(I forget his name. I seriously can't remember any person who came off the boat's name other than Miles and Daniel and I recently started rememinger Faraday's name.)

LOL.

Miles Straume, Daniel Faraday, Charlotte Staples-Lewis, Naomi Dorritt (deceased), Frank Lapidus, Martin Keamy... captain was something Gault, and there was George Minkowski. The rest, I don't know their names. Oh yeah- Omar.

I can't remember the first names of people I meet half the time, but I remember the first and last names of these people. Go figure.

Did anyone else feel like Sawyer did what he did more for Hurley than anyone? I mean you're on a helicopter with all those people and you gotta lose weight, everyone's gonna look at the fat dude. I can see a moment down the line in the show where they make mention of that.

I didn't think about it like that. Sawyer has seemed protective over both Claire and Hurley this season. He's becoming more and more like Jack, which is probably intentional. I also think Sawyer might prefer it on the island, anyway.

3 years is a long time for breast improvment. :0)

Sign in to follow this