TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

Is LOST trying to drive away people away from the show this season or something? I mean fuck, boring episodes, and then a THREE WEEK break this early into the season? Weak.

It is Shannon.  Episode 9, or at least after she and Sayid "do" it.

Good call, professor, but I'm rather sure that the next episode isn't 9.

And maybe I'm a sucker for Jin/Sun and their backstory, but I really enjoyed this episode - especially the ending. I mean, granted, there wasn't much going on, but I still was satisfied.

And what a preview. Dead character in the next episode? Way to get people to tune in.

Decent episode but felt padded. Show's still good but this isn't season 1 quality at all. Five eps in and 2 have bored me (Michael's episode and this one). By episode five last season I was going nuts because the show was so fuckin good.

I really am impressed with the guy who plays Mr. Eko. He's pretty kick ass and I hope his character stays around. I thought the backstory of the episode with Jin/Sun was just filler stuff. It was another chapter in the book of LOST, but this certainly didn't catch the world on fire.

I do agree with the person who said this season is so-so, compared to last season which had us going crazy constantly. The first and third episodes were really good stuff. Awesome stuff. Hurley's was solid enough. But this one was probably the worst one yet. I thought Michael's was a little bit better because it explained the whole raft deal. This was just total filler. Jack, Locke, and Kate all had little parts. Ditto with Hurley. Claire's character has done nothing this season. Charlie, Sayid, Shannon are all nowhere to be seen. Rose seems like she's come and gone after one episode.

I really, really hate how the whole Hatch deal has been pretty much dropped. That was the main thing going into the summer and the beginning of the fall, and they just stop talking about it. That drives me crazy. There's so many answers they could find in the Hatch, but they haven't done anything with it. And who the hell is running it? Sayid, I'm assuming? I just hate how everyone's like "okay, good enough by me. We'll push the button..." and don't even research into the place...or ask questions about all the equipment down there. And what about the whole deal with the radio tower by the Black Rock? That never got explained near the end of last season.

Anyways...this was really a bad way to go into a 3 week hiatus. Hopefully they blow us away again.

Oh, and I think one safe assumption to make is that the radio the other survivors had was the radio used to talk to Boone when they said "We're the Survivors of Flight 815!"

And Kate wants Sawyer.

Is LOST trying to drive away people away from the show this season or something? I mean fuck, boring episodes, and then a THREE WEEK break this early into the season? Weak.

Game 4 of the World Series is next Wed. Not sure what the other 2 weeks are for.

I just hate how everyone's like "okay, good enough by me. We'll push the button..." and don't even research into the place...or ask questions about all the equipment down there.

Where do you propose they find out that info? The only guy they know of who might know anything about the equipment is Desmond, and he took off. Sayid & Jack went exploring a bit, but other than that, it's not like they can ring up tech support to get some info.

You _need_ filler episodes when you are writing for the long term. A second season and a first season are (and should be) handled differently. The first season had them introducing the characters and keeping us on our toes. The second season is trying to enhance the characters and lulling us into a false sense of security cause the bomb will be dropped. That bomb is The Others, which this episode helped get over and build towards. If you expect them to blow their wad in the first few episodes, then I'd hate to break it to ya, but it's not going to happen.

I am happier with them going into a break without a cliffhanger because they did that way too much last year and it got frustrating.

As a fan of both Sun and Jin, I enjoyed this episode. Jin showed strength, Sun showed weakness. Play it backwards and watch their other episodes and think of why Jin went on the raft and Jin becomes a sort of tragic character. It also showed how coincidentally (or not?) lucky the survivors were to have a guy who could catch fish. To have a guy who could catch boar. To have a doctor. To have a lifeguard. To have a guy who could build a raft. Meanwhile, the other survivors didn't have any of that. They're all pretty useless, it seems. They seem to be made up either very strong willed people, or very weak willed people. I would love to see how that group got widdled down from 23 to about 4 or 5.

Plus they're totally building Mr. Echo (I prefer "Echo") up for something. I'm betting he gets killed by an Other to help establish that other as el totale badass (Which Jack must fight and beat, of course.) They also allude to Echos wife dying on the island, which will probably come into play (light spoiler)

In the episode where they focus on the other survivors. Which I am really, really, REALLY looking forward to.

Lockes coversation with Sun was also very revealing. It showed how Locke is viewed by people who aren't Jack. It also showed that Locke is keeping up a facade because he clearly has broken down in the past while on the island. Kate knows about the bottle, sorta revealed her feelings about Sawyer.

And it also brought some light on Michaels desire to find Walt - it's not just because Walt is in danger, it's because Michael failed in his primary duty as a father, which is to protect his child. Michael coming to terms with not being able to save Walt quite yet is a good hurdle to clear, because one of these days Michael will get Walt back and he won't be acting so irrationally. Which means that bomb will 'splode somethin huge.

This episode may haven't given everyone the answers they were looking for, but it wasn't useless by any stretch of the imagination. It set things up, it furthered things, it developed things. It let things breathe. These small episodes are just as necessary as the big episodes.

Game 4 of the World Series is next Wed. Not sure what the other 2 weeks are for.

I just hate how everyone's like "okay, good enough by me. We'll push the button..." and don't even research into the place...or ask questions about all the equipment down there.

Where do you propose they find out that info? The only guy they know of who might know anything about the equipment is Desmond, and he took off. Sayid & Jack went exploring a bit, but other than that, it's not like they can ring up tech support to get some info.

Look around and see how all the appliances he has are brand new. Hmm...that's...weird. What exactly is on the murals? I'm talking more than a glance. Have a segment with them specifically looking and trying to read what the fuck it all means. Not ask questions to anyone particular, more so to themselves. Explore the place...look through the books he had and see what exactly is down there. Notice how some of the books down there are modern time.

I just hate the iffy logic sometimes that if we see and notice things, we don't know if the character does either...we just kinda have to assume.

And I love this show. Obviously. It's just sometimes you just wish the show was 2 hours every week instead of one. My main concern is they are digging themselves too deep into something they can't answer. But I've got faith...

Random thought I just had...

It seems they are trying to turn Sawyer from a badass who doesn't care about anyone, to someone who starts little by little showing more compassion for people. I predict Mike will be killed saving Walt, and Sawyer will act as a "father figure" to Walt.

Last week, Charlie was asking Locke questions about the hatch and asked about Desmond. He said, "He just ran off? Where did he go?" Lock replied, "Don't know. I tried to track him, but he didn't leave much of a trail."

This week, Mr. Echo said on two separate occasions that The Others do not leave tracks, and won't be found if they don't want to be.

Is this just a coincidence, or is Desmond one of them? That was the first thing that came to my mind this week when Echo mentioned that.

You _need_ filler episodes when you are writing for the long term.  A second season and a first season are (and should be) handled differently.  The first season had them introducing the characters and keeping us on our toes.  The second season is trying to enhance the characters and lulling us into a false sense of security cause the bomb will be dropped.  That bomb is The Others, which this episode helped get over and build towards.  If you expect them to blow their wad in the first few episodes, then I'd hate to break it to ya, but it's not going to happen.

I am happier with them going into a break without a cliffhanger because they did that way too much last year and it got frustrating.

As a fan of both Sun and Jin, I enjoyed this episode.  Jin showed strength, Sun showed weakness.  Play it backwards and watch their other episodes and think of why Jin went on the raft and Jin becomes a sort of tragic character.  It also showed how coincidentally (or not?) lucky the survivors were to have a guy who could catch fish.  To have a guy who could catch boar.  To have a doctor.  To have a lifeguard.  To have a guy who could build a raft.  Meanwhile, the other survivors didn't have any of that.  They're all pretty useless, it seems.  They seem to be made up either very strong willed people, or very weak willed people.  I would love to see how that group got widdled down from 23 to about 4 or 5.

Plus they're totally building Mr. Echo (I prefer "Echo") up for something.  I'm betting he gets killed by an Other to help establish that other as el totale badass (Which Jack must fight and beat, of course.)  They also allude to Echos wife dying on the island, which will probably come into play (light spoiler)

In the episode where they focus on the other survivors.  Which I am really, really, REALLY looking forward to.

Lockes coversation with Sun was also very revealing.  It showed how Locke is viewed by people who aren't Jack.  It also showed that Locke is keeping up a facade because he clearly has broken down in the past while on the island.  Kate knows about the bottle, sorta revealed her feelings about Sawyer.

And it also brought some light on Michaels desire to find Walt - it's not just because Walt is in danger, it's because Michael failed in his primary duty as a father, which is to protect his child.  Michael coming to terms with not being able to save Walt quite yet is a good hurdle to clear, because one of these days Michael will get Walt back and he won't be acting so irrationally.  Which means that bomb will 'splode somethin huge.

This episode may haven't given everyone the answers they were looking for, but it wasn't useless by any stretch of the imagination.  It set things up, it furthered things, it developed things.  It let things breathe.  These small episodes are just as necessary as the big episodes.

RRR I agree with you 110% on this one. They just did so damn much in the first season, they needed to slow it down in this season.

RRR had every point I wanted to make, so nothing more from me.

Last week, Charlie was asking Locke questions about the hatch and asked about Desmond.  He said, "He just ran off?  Where did he go?"  Lock replied, "Don't know.  I tried to track him, but he didn't leave much of a trail."

This week, Mr. Echo said on two separate occasions that The Others do not leave tracks, and won't be found if they don't want to be.

Is this just a coincidence, or is Desmond one of them?  That was the first thing that came to my mind this week when Echo mentioned that.

Desmond had clothes, guns, and the like. Those OTHERS that Echo and the Bunnyman saw didnt look well clothed and had guns.

I doubt Desmond is an OTHER, but he is an other.

Anyways, here were my key take-aways

1) They're really building up the Others. But geez, you'd think theyd have shoes and all, walking around in a Jungle. Sickness causes uber-violent behavior?

2) Whatever was in the Tailers Hatch, it wasn't much. They've got no guns. A crude machete, a pole with a boomerang...not much.

3) Anyone get a little vibe from Echo's inquiring about Sun? You know, its been rumored that Sun's Father had someone on the plane...

4) I get the feeling that the random female tailer (not libby), the asian chick, is not long for this season.

5) It was kind of nice not having an episode full of the main people

6) Michael is a dumbass.

You _need_ filler episodes when you are writing for the long term.  A second season and a first season are (and should be) handled differently.  The first season had them introducing the characters and keeping us on our toes.  The second season is trying to enhance the characters and lulling us into a false sense of security cause the bomb will be dropped.  That bomb is The Others, which this episode helped get over and build towards.  If you expect them to blow their wad in the first few episodes, then I'd hate to break it to ya, but it's not going to happen.
RRR spits the truth on that ... there were arguments on this board in season 1 about how things were moving too slowly, and that there weren't enough answers to the questions ... but that's how they get fans to tune in, give us a little and then leave us wanting more. When people are reading a book, do they read the first 2 chapters, find out the basic hook, and then immediately read the end? Of course not, even when the book has occasional lulls in action. Nothing can sustain non-stop action, especially a full season of TV.

Look around and see how all the appliances he has are brand new. Hmm...that's...weird. What exactly is on the murals? I'm talking more than a glance. Have a segment with them specifically looking and trying to read what the fuck it all means. Not ask questions to anyone particular, more so to themselves. Explore the place...look through the books he had and see what exactly is down there. Notice how some of the books down there are modern time.

Wait ... so you complain about the season being boring, and then say that you want them to show scenes of people reading the book titles?!? Or staring at the walls and trying to figure out what a mural means? I presume that the characters HAVE done both of those things, and the writers are implying that they didn't learn enough to actually show it as part of our view into their world.

I'm starting to have my doubts if Mr Echo was actually on the plane ... he just seems to able (for lack of a better word) on the island. Perhaps he was already on the island and managed to assimilate into the tailers during the post-crash confusion?

Lastly, on a personal note: Jack might have been the one that took down Ethan, but anyone that thinks that Locke couldn't have is fooling himself. Locke just knew that it wasn't his action to take. Locke could take out just about anyone he wanted ... except maybe Mr Echo.

Locke is a badass.

Until we know the backstory of the tail-enders, any speculation on Mr. Eko is fruitless. We'll know that what, in Ep 7, The Other 48 Days? I don't think he is, because he's not like Ethan, he's very helpful.

They DO explore the books, or the ones they want you to know about. The Third Policeman was one. A Wrinkle in Time was another

Until we know the backstory of the tail-enders, any speculation on Mr. Eko is fruitless.  We'll know that what, in Ep 7, The Other 48 Days?  I don't think he is, because he's not like Ethan, he's very helpful.

If I want to say something that I think, I'm going to. To tell me not to share a theory that I had is fruitless. Plus, not all of us come across as knowing-it-all about the show.

EDIT: re-worded with less ferocity. No reason to drag down a good thread with my response.

EDIT 2: I fucked up and put my EDIT as a new post.

Guest Fishyswa

I think this season should slow down right about now. We start off with some questions answered, and then 402832 more new questions, and now we're slowly answering most of them.

I think the most interesting thing was Walt. He was walking with them on his own, he wasn't being pulled or carried or forced, he was perfectly in line with the rest of them. That makes me think if they do find him, they're gonna regret it.

And what happened to Desmond? There's no way that's it with him, I mean this is an island as far as we know, a guy just doesn't go running off for good on an island. I can see him coming back after nothing happened to stay or being caught by the other's.

Don't forget the beauty of this show either, they love to play with coincidence. Is there something to the mural that could give us hints, or is it just what a crazy guy would paint if he's locked under ground for a couple years? Are all the connections between the survivors related to why they're there, or is it just random coincidences that are there for people with a keen eye? I love the fact that anything could be uber-important or completely irrelevant and yet it all comes across as vital information.

I think the most interesting thing was Walt. He was walking with them on his own, he wasn't being pulled or carried or forced, he was perfectly in line with the rest of them. That makes me think if they do find him, they're gonna regret it.

Wait, are we sure that was Walt? I was specifically looking for him and I didn't think I saw him. I figured the teddy bear was something else.

3) Anyone get a little vibe from Echo's inquiring about Sun? You know, its been rumored that Sun's Father had someone on the plane...

Yeah, there will definitely be something in the future between Echo and Sun. Maybe Echo is a bounty hunter, which would explain why he's so good at tracking.

Lastly, on a personal note: Jack might have been the one that took down Ethan, but anyone that thinks that Locke couldn't have is fooling himself. Locke just knew that it wasn't his action to take. Locke could take out just about anyone he wanted ... except maybe Mr Echo.

Locke couldn't have. When the group took on Ethan, Locke was taken out pretty quickly (not shown in the show, but there was a picture on the website that had Locke down and out during this episode). Jack is King of the Island.

Sign in to follow this