TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Does Bischoff add anything to the show?

Does the WWE need Eric Bischoff? Once you get past the shock of "whoa, Eric Bischoff in the WWE..." where does it go from there?

Every week it's the same show.

HHH: "I want something."

Eric: "You're the man! You got it! Blah blah beat up my nephew and get rid of him forever."

HHH: "Make me #1 contender...sorry that I don't have a good reason for it. I mean I haven't really done much lately"

Eric: "You got it! I'm rewarding you for beating up my nephew again!"

Face Champion: "Hi, I'm the face champion."

Eric: "TONIGHT YOU WRESTLE KANE!!!!"

Face Champion: "Ok...why?"

Eric: "...because."

Face Champion: "Hi, I'm still the face champion."

Eric: "Then tonight the title's on the line...IN A HANDICAP MATCH!"

Face Champion: "Ok...why?"

Eric: "I'm kind of a bastard."

It's more or less the same thing every week now. The Evil GM is compeltly tired and there is nothing new to add to it. Why do they keep going along with this? I know Vince just can't break from formula, but these shows are just getting worse with this.

The wwe blew its chance long time ago with PROPERLY using Bischoff. What happened to Shane's warnings to his dad about hiring Eric Bischoff. Bischoff's potential has been squandered. The former arch rival of the wwf is nothing more than a generic gm now. Really sad, but did anyone really believe Vince would make him into an elite part of his company in storylines?

Bischoff's debut should have been hugging Vince, and then immediately attacking him seconds later. This would have kick started a huge storyline that would have drawn in viewers.

Of course, Vince's ego doesn't allow for anything GOOD to happen these days.

You mean you think Vince would allow himself to get his ass kicked by Eric Bischoff? This same Vince Mcmahon that for some odd reason went toe to toe with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin(the toughest s.o.b.), Hulk Hogan(the man who defeated immortal legends such as Andre the Giant), and Undertaker(who is still dominating). The same man who got his job back from Ric Flair on live television? I think that might have been asking too much of the boss don't you think? :D

Guest whitemilesdavis

I'm really tired of the whole GM character anyway. I honestly think Bischoff is as good as anyone in that role, but it's just so played out.

My big problem is the constant sucking up to HHH. This goes for Evolution too. The guy has been getting his ass beat for months now and spent all summer trying to take care of a retard, while Orton got one shot at Benoit and beat him clean. Wouldn't it make sense for the heels to side with the winner, especially if he isn't much of a face to begin with such as the case with Orton?

HHH: "Make me #1 contender...sorry that I don't have a good reason for it. I mean I haven't really done much lately"

Eric: "You got it! I'm rewarding you for beating up my nephew again!"

:lol: So true.

Guest SteveyP93

If they had brought Bischoff in with the nWo in February instead of all by himself in June or July or whatever, I think it would have been huge.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that the nWo were booked to look like chumps, so...yeah. It probably would have been hot for two weeks.

This is really the same argument that fans have been making all along about the InVasion angle, that Vince should have busted out the wallet for the big names back then that he wound up signing 1-2 years later anyway. The company was coming off of a huge success (WrestleMania X-7), a properly executed InVasion angle could have more than covered Vince's investment in Flair, Goldberg, etc.

It pisses me off just to think of what the InVasion angle with the right WCW and ECW guys and no Steph or Shane could have been.

Just think about this dream scenario: remember when ECW re-formed out of nowhere, and joined forces with WCW to invade the WWF? That was a great RAW. Now imagine if the next week, the WWF is on the ropes, and all of a sudden Bischoff and the nWo come in to stake their claim. A three-way war between WCW/ECW, the WWF and the nWo. Now that would have been a memorable Survivor Series blow-off.

Guest Shoes Head

The "evil commissioner/owner/GM" is so horrendously also-ran. And, of course, it will remain a fixture in WWE until the next wrestling boom and beyond.

Guest SteveyP93

It will remain a fixture until the WWF stumbles upon (they definitely won't come up with it in creative meetings) the next big angle that will spark the new wrestling boom. And then they'll drive THAT into the ground.

If you develop characters that people care about, they'll tune in no matter what. I think they are giving way too much credit to the evil boss character for the ratings in 1998-2000. I think people would have tuned in to see Steve Austin no matter who he was feuding with.

I have zero confidence in the writing team. Until they kick out all the TV writers and hire more people like Heyman, nothing will change. Somebody go get Jake Roberts out of detox.

You mean you think Vince would allow himself to get his ass kicked by Eric Bischoff? This same Vince Mcmahon that for some odd reason went toe to toe with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin(the toughest s.o.b.), Hulk Hogan(the man who defeated immortal legends such as Andre the Giant), and Undertaker(who is still dominating). The same man who got his job back from Ric Flair on live television? I think that might have been asking too much of the boss don't you think? :D

Well, Bischoff does have a black belt ;)

Besides, would it be any worse than when Lita beat Spike Dudley in a match on Heat, and then later that week Spike challenged Rhyno for the Hardcore title and was well on his way to beating Rhyno before Edge and Christian interfered?

With that logic, Rhyno would be no match for Lita, so I could buy Vince being beat up by Bischoff :D

Just to add to the Invasion topic I remember someone having a column that would have worked. You know when Flair came on board? The guy stated that Flair could have been the man to bring back the wcw with the likes of the nWo. The wwe even messed that up. The nWo came in February and Flair fought Vince at the Royal Rumble. Vince got the big guns eventually and they could have still pulled it off, but the better choice would have to sign them to begin with. I wasn't saying it was not believable for Bischoff to beat Vince, but that Vince in his infinite wisdom would use kayfabe reasoning to not job to Bischoff(that is another botched "match" in terms of Invasion). Spike jobbed to Lita? :huh: This creative staff is smoking some of that weed Rock was talking about a few weeks back.

Spike jobbed to Lita? :huh: This creative staff is smoking some of that weed Rock was talking about a few weeks back.

Yes, this happened on a Sunday Night Heat in 2001, I forget when exactly. It was during Rhyno's time as Hardcore champion, so I think that would be in the months following WrestleMania X7. Spike had not been in the WWF all that long and wasn't too established yet.

I've been sick of the whole GM authority figure concept for a long time now. I wish we could go back to the time where matches were made off camera, things are settled just amongst the wrestlers and say, Vince shows up only on rare occasions, so you know when he does its a really big announcement...

Guest bigm350
I've been sick of the whole GM authority figure concept for a long time now. I wish we could go back to the time where matches were made off camera, things are settled just amongst the wrestlers and say, Vince shows up only on rare occasions, so you know when he does its a really big announcement...

I agree. Hell, put Vince back at the announcer's desk with JR and King. I miss the days of Vince and his candid commentary.

Vince back as an announcer will be terrible. I really don't want to hear him commentating every two count pin fall as -

"One, TWO, THREE!!! He got him! Wait no he didn't get him? Did he get him?"

The only way it would be entertaining would be if he is a heel commentator and argues with Jim Ross and pisses off Jim Ross.

I think it might be interesting to see Bischoff and Heyman trying to be co-general managers of raw. That could be a little original. It shouldn't be like Austin just constantly throwing beer on Bischoff. Bischoff would continue to suck up to triple h and Heyman would probably cater more towards the ecw type guys and big monster hosses.

Guest bigm350
Vince back as an announcer will be terrible. I really don't want to hear him commentating every two count pin fall as -

"One, TWO, THREE!!! He got him! Wait no he didn't get him? Did he get him?"

The only way it would be entertaining would be if he is a heel commentator and argues with Jim Ross and pisses off Jim Ross.

I think it might be interesting to see Bischoff and Heyman trying to be co-general managers of raw. That could be a little original. It shouldn't be like Austin just constantly throwing beer on Bischoff. Bischoff would continue to suck up to triple h and Heyman would probably cater more towards the ecw type guys and big monster hosses.

I don't know; I always like Vince's commentary. Yeah, it could be annoying at times, but I prefer him over JR and King.

And yeah, the days of the evil GM are beyond stale. If they're going to have a GM he should be impartial. I'm sick of hearing Bischoff say to a random face " and your punishment will be facing KANE TONIGHT!"

Guest Corino 1000
My big problem is the constant sucking up to HHH. This goes for Evolution too. The guy has been getting his ass beat for months now and spent all summer trying to take care of a retard, while Orton got one shot at Benoit and beat him clean. Wouldn't it make sense for the heels to side with the winner, especially if he isn't much of a face to begin with such as the case with Orton?

Actually Orton is pretty good with the crowd and he in fact makes superb face. The crowd really seems to like him he has good feud going so whats the problem? Ortons actually improved alot since he first started and well he starting to earn his spot.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Bischoff once actually had a purpose on RAW, but that has changed drastically since his debut. Now he generally serves no purpose except to let Evolution get away with everything(which IMHO, everytime they do an angle like this in wrestling it comes off as really stupid and pointless booking)and it just really comes off as shitty, uninteresting television. SO basically, no Bischoff doesn't serve ANY purpose on RAW anymore.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think he added quite a bit to the show when he was doing the 3 minute stuff, etc. but now he's nothing more than a yes man for Evolution. They might as well just cut out the middleman and make Triple H the GM.

Guest bigm350
I think he added quite a bit to the show when he was doing the 3 minute stuff, etc. but now he's nothing more than a yes man for Evolution. They might as well just cut out the middleman and make Triple H the GM.

Yeah, they might as well make HHH the GM. Kayfabe's dead anyway.

I think he added quite a bit to the show when he was doing the 3 minute stuff, etc. but now he's nothing more than a yes man for Evolution.  They might as well just cut out the middleman and make Triple H the GM.

Yeah, they might as well make HHH the GM. Kayfabe's dead anyway.

Plus it wouldn't be too much different from HHH's role during late 1999/2000.

Guest JRE

Uh...Bischoff is barely on TV anymore, he just buts in now and then to make big matches. I always thought a lot of smarks wanted it that way. I do. He does have a purpose, mind you, or half of the Eugene/HHH matches wouldn't have happened.

They're also doing a subtle buildup to a "Bischoff just favors Evolution." I heard rumors of an "election" for GMs in November, so they might be building to that angle.

When the show is an utter trainwreck, his presence often gets amusing.

God only knows how the hell the guy managed to come to work each week working through Katie Vick, HLA, the gay marriage minister, hitting on Linda, Kane unmasked, and now Eugene.

Otherwise, when the wrestling actually commands the show and wrestlers who can cut their own promos are being pushed, he stays out of the way more.

Then they mentioned Slamboree 1998 and wasted it on an Eric/Vince match that ended in an SE finish. They were getting very WCWish there, as WCW isn't above letting people like Leno and Arquette main event, so they should have just gone full-out down the WCW path and put the guys in there with a couple wrestlers in a tag match.

When Eric Bischoff first came to run Raw against Smackdown and Steph, there was sort of a weird thing going on: Steph was supposed to be the face and Eric the heel, but since Steph was so annoying, Bischoff actually got some face pops. See, I think his original character was, believe it or not, pretty complex by WWE standards: he was a heel, but he'd do what was best for making Raw better than SmackDown, so even though he was a smarmy asshole, he was committed to running a good show. Then they just watered him way down.

When Eric Bischoff first came to run Raw against Smackdown and Steph, there was sort of a weird thing going on: Steph was supposed to be the face and Eric the heel, but since Steph was so annoying, Bischoff actually got some face pops. See, I think his original character was, believe it or not, pretty complex by WWE standards: he was a heel, but he'd do what was best for making Raw better than SmackDown, so even though he was a smarmy asshole, he was committed to running a good show. Then they just watered him way down.

BINGO.

Bischoff's character in the first three months was awesome. He was a classic tweener and a true impartial authority figure. He didn't really give a shit about anybody on his roster- his only concern was what was best for his show.

The WWE banked on him coming across as an uncaring asshole, making him the perfect contrast to Princess Stephanie. What they didn't realize was that people would LIKE Bischoff's character and the way he handled business. But because God forbid WCW's ex-head honcho goes over Princess Stephie, they had to water him down (perfect choice of words, Czech), and he turned into Generic Heel Authority Figure No. 103.

Now, he's just a parity of himself for all the reasons listed above.