TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

The Rise and Fall of ECW

Who cares about Shane?

Because he was a major player during the early days of ECW and was the one who gave the famous "Extreme" promo that christened the company with it's name?

Douglas doesn't?

He was the one talking about "This is how wrestling was meant to be: ass-kicking, beating the hell of whoever is in front of you."

But this DVD is going to be interesting.

I read in a recent Observer that McMahon was trying to coax the former ECW guys they interviewed for the DVD to bury Heyman as much as possible. I wonder who complied.

I read in a recent Observer that McMahon was trying to coax the former ECW guys they interviewed for the DVD to bury Heyman as much as possible. I wonder who complied.

Foley says in the trailor Heyman was one of the greatest minds in the wrestling biz.

They probably didn't want it to be a Paul Heyman ass kissing contest. They more than likely encouraged people to the truth when it came to his mismanagement, bad checks and bad ideas. They probably figured others would hold off on discussing the negative due to Paul being somewhat involved with the creative process or the chance of him returning to a major creative role.

I love how they put "Available Now" on every trailer, whether it is or not, instead of the actual release date.

Probably because by the time this will be shown on TV, the DVD will have been out for a week.

Guest JMA

Wow. This DVD looks fantastic. I'm definitely getting this.

I did think that the genre being listed as "action-adventure" was kind of funny, though. It reminds me of when Michael Cole used to refer to RAW as "action-adventure" when he was the lead play-by-play man. Hell, Linda McMahon STILL calls it that.

Guest Big Daddy V1

It looks to be a good buy, especially since I was big on the hayday of ECW (after the Dudleys and Tazz left). It will be intresting to see how they do this.

I love how they put "Available Now" on every trailer, whether it is or not, instead of the actual release date.

Probably because by the time this will be shown on TV, the DVD will have been out for a week.

Actually, they often put trailers on DVDs that come out weeks before the advertised item itself. I doubt this 90 second trailer makes it onto TV.

Actually, they often put trailers on DVDs that come out weeks before the advertised item itself. I doubt this 90 second trailer makes it onto TV.

Right, sorry. I didn't have the time to download the trailer, so I assumed it was just a TV spot.

Guest Real F'n Show
It looks to be a good buy, especially since I was big on the hayday of ECW (after the Dudleys and Tazz left). It will be intresting to see how they do this.

:D

95-99 was the heyday of ECW. Everything went downhill after Taz and the Dudleys left.

Just for statistics sake:

AL SNOW

CHRIS BENOIT

CHRIS JERICHO

JAZZ

LITA

MICK FOLEY

RHYNO

RODNEY MACK (I think he has, right?)

STEVEN RICHARDS

TAJIRI

That's 10 Raw guys.

BUBBA RAY DUDLEY

D-VON DUDLEY

DAWN MARIE

EDDIE GUERRERO

NUNZIO

PAUL HEYMAN

REY MYSTERIO

ROB VAN DAM

SPIKE DUDLEY

TAZZ

That's 10 Smackdown guys.

So 20 people in WWE were employed by ECW at some point. That's an impressive number.

OWNAGGGGGEEEE!!!!!!

And who cares about Shane? Well, ECW fans do, considering he was the company's biggest star from 1994 until late 1995 when Raven and Dreamer became the top guys. Douglas has a pivotal part in ECW's success, so just leaving him out would be like saying "oh, Bret Hart meant nothing to Steve Austin's career."

OWNAGGGGGEEEE!!!!!!

And who cares about Shane? Well, ECW fans do, considering he was the company's biggest star from 1994 until late 1995 when Raven and Dreamer became the top guys. Douglas has a pivotal part in ECW's success, so just leaving him out would be like saying "oh, Bret Hart meant nothing to Steve Austin's career."

What percentage of the years of the company's existence did Shane hold a belt? Let's not forget his long ass World title reign either, that may have been more then a year before Taz ended it.

Guest Sturgis
OWNAGGGGGEEEE!!!!!!

I'm an ECW fan, andI for one do not give a shit about Shane Douglas. He has done nothing piss on the legacy of ECW ever since he left, and there are a lot of fans that feel the same.

Guest JMA

I care about Shane Douglas. I always liked him, both in-ring wise and character wise. Douglas is forever tied with the creation of ECW and was a good champion in my book.

Just for statistics sake:

RODNEY MACK (I think he has, right?)

He was there for the last couple months as a nothing character. He was in Da Baldies if I remember correctly.

Rodney was Redd Dogg in ECW. He was brought in on his own, and would work openers against Chilly Willy, Nova, and the like.

Da Baldies at one point or another consisted of Vic Grimes, Big Vito (as Skull), Angel (not to be confused with XPW's Hardcore Homo Angel) and DeVito (former journeyman turned ROH badass Tony DeVito).

Oh, and Douglas BETTER get some recognition, dammit. The Franchise, love him or hate him, was the cornerstone of that company for years.

Guest W_Hillard

Mark me down as another one who thinks Shane Douglas deserves some credit.

I'm a big Douglas fan. I thought he was one hell of a heel. And I loved the entire run of the Triple Threat.

I'd say ECW started going downhill in the ME department once Raven left, since he was basically "GOD" and was part of the most heated rivalry in the companies history. However the decline didn't really start caving in for a couple years afterwards.