2. "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Soloist: Gary Rossington, Ed King, Allen Collins

Album: Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd

Year: 1973

1. "Let It Rain" by Derek and the Dominos

Soloist: Eric Clapton

Album: Derek and the Dominos In Concert

Year: 1973

I think we can safely agree that Pitchfork does not know what they are talking about.

Guest PlatinumBoy

That's actually quite old and ties into my biggest point of disagreement with Pitchforkmedia. I agree with their reviews, but sometimes their anti-guitar solo/anti-guitar player mentality they seem to have can be annoying. Like when they talk about how Clapton solos suck, or how Vai and Satriani are worthless, etc. etc. I'm not saying all their reviewers do it, or it's 100 percent of the time, but the times when you read someone on their for example saying how Eddie Van Halen sucks, and then talking about how tight the guitars are on some new indie release, it makes them lose a little of the old guitar cred. However, haven't they pretty much said this list was made to stir up the shit--making metal/guitar fans that they hate the whammy bar, etc. etc.

43. "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd

Soloist: David Gilmour

Album: The Wall

Year: 1979

Right here is the real reason that this list is a fucking JOKE. "Comfortably Numb" is one of the finest solos of all-time, and is probably David gilmour's most well-know guitar work. It's not my favourite solo of his, but it's an outstanding solo none the less.

They should have found some way to include the entirety of the Rock And Roll Animal album, considering that it's basically just one incredibly long and tedious solo with snippets of old Velvet Underground songs occasionally thrown into the mix. Gotta love that album cover, though.

Sorry, but the solo to "Ace of Spades" is great. Also, how is "(Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth" a guitar solo? That's where they IMMEDIATELY lost all credibility to me.

Guest Temet

Right here is the real reason that this list is a fucking JOKE. "Comfortably Numb" is one of the finest solos of all-time, and is probably David gilmour's most well-know guitar work. It's not my favourite solo of his, but it's an outstanding solo none the less.

What redbaron didn't post was their reasons for choosing the list.

The Comfortably Numb solo was apparently pieced together from several different takes because Gilmour couldn't get it right, hence its inclusion.

For the record it's my favourite PF solo. Pitchfork have no idea with this list.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
11. "Willie the Pimp" by Frank Zappa

Soloist: Frank Zappa

Album: Hot Rats

Year: 1969

This is by far the biggest travesty on this list.

Guest PlatinumBoy

What redbaron didn't post was their reasons for choosing the list.

The Comfortably Numb solo was apparently pieced together from several different takes because Gilmour couldn't get it right, hence its inclusion.

For the record it's my favourite PF solo. Pitchfork have no idea with this list.

However, what a piece of hate mail/critique said was true--no matter how Gilmour made it, he plays it the RIGHT way, like on the album, when he's playing live. Just because he pieced together various solos to make a good one doesn't matter, since he actually can play the final product. It would be different if he couldn't. I also love the Skynyrd hate that list has in their descripition. They've probably never delved deep into Skynyrd's playlist of more bluegrassy, low key stuff--this guy's heard Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird and that's it most likely.

Guest PlatinumBoy

See.... once again I like Pitchfork but as for guitar stuff--"a stiff, awkward, atonal, and utterly humorous body of work nearly as caricatured as Tom Morello's clown-alley guitar solos."

Tom Morello was, in my opinion, the best and most inovative guitarist to come out of the 90's--hell one of the only great mainstream ones to come out of the 90's. His solos defintely aren't shit.

Pitchfork seems to exist only to see who they can piss off by being too elitist for elitists.

Their reviews aren't impartial either--it almost seems like they made their decision whether to praise or can the album before they've even heard it. On some days it seems they pan an album because they're in a particualrly grouchy mood.

Even when they begrudgingly admit that an album is basically flawless, instead of heaping praise, they'll find that one thing to nit-pick on and spend at least one paragraph on it.

The worst examples of reviews are the types where they write them as little skits which only offers bits of information and doesn't tell you anything about the album at all.

I hated that Pulling Teeth "song" and agreed with their reasoning behind putting it on the list. I mean, they made an exception for it, and even pointed out that the bass is still a guitar. You could be technical and say that ruins the credibility of the list, but really, it is just a way of sticking on another crappy solo on there.

Either way, the list is just talking about how solos are most of the time unnecessary and are just used as a bit to show off. They have no place and are just a bunch self-mastorbatory riffs with no place within the structure of the song. Sometimes, a solo can really lift a song and serve as a catalyst, but a lot of times guys just use it to fuck around.

With that said, I don't know if the songs on the list fall under that category, since I haven't heard most of them. Most of the music I listen to doesn't involve lots of solos anyway, except for the occasional metal album, none of which are prominent enough to be featured on this list, so I don't really care.

Tom Morello was, in my opinion, the best and most inovative guitarist to come out of the 90's--hell one of the only great mainstream ones to come out of the 90's. His solos defintely aren't shit.

running your guitar through an effects box and making squeal while you do a bunch of slides and shit does not equal innovative. He is...passable on guitar, and it is embarassing that he's listed as a guitar 'hero'

running your guitar through an effects box and making squeal while you do a bunch of slides and shit does not equal innovative. He is...passable on guitar, and it is embarassing that he's listed as a guitar 'hero'

I was about to say the same thing, and in a recent review of the latest Zach De La Rocha single, they ripped on him for his guitar work again. A bit of deja vu there, reading your post.

Guest PlatinumBoy

I was about to say the same thing, and in a recent review of the latest Zach De La Rocha single, they ripped on him for his guitar work again. A bit of deja vu there, reading your post.

I posted the bit about Morello up above--however he has done some acoustic stuff lately, and all the NU-METAL kids want to be like him. Notice though I said guitar player to hit the mainstream in the 90's. Besides Morello most were shit.

Edited to add: Guitar solos don't make a song--insanely good guitar playing isn't needed for a good rock band. Hell, great guitar players can make shit music just as easily as anyone else. If all that mattered was your speed on the frets, than Yngwie Malmsteen would be a whole hell of a lot bigger in the USA then he is today.

I posted the bit about Morello up above--however he has done some acoustic stuff lately, and all the NU-METAL kids want to be like him. Notice though I said guitar player to hit the mainstream in the 90's. Besides Morello most were shit.

Is this an arguement about how innovative or how good?

Edited to add: Guitar solos don't make a song--insanely good guitar playing isn't needed for a good rock band. Hell, great guitar players can make shit music just as easily as anyone else. If all that mattered was your speed on the frets, than Yngwie Malmsteen would be a whole hell of a lot bigger in the USA then he is today.

If you think I care about how fast someone can do scales as a means to judge quality and ability, then you just haven't been reading enough of my posts in this section.

Guest PlatinumBoy

Is this an arguement about how innovative or how good?

If you think I care about how fast someone can do scales as a means to judge quality and ability, then you just haven't been reading enough of my posts in this section.

The Morello stuff there was more about the state of guitar playing today. Also the Malmsteen comment was in agreement with you..... I was saying that just because Malmsteen can play a zillion notes a second like a surgeon doesn't mean his music is better than Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, the Ramones, etc. etc.

I totally agree with you that just doing scales quickly doesn't mean a guitarist is great--it means he can play quickly and is probably good at speed playing, but a solo should fit a song. A blazing fast solo in the middle of a Paul Simon song wouldn't be right, no matter how good it was.

He's not saying that. He's saying that during the 90's, Morello stood out amongst mainstream rock guitarists because he was doing COMPLETELY different stuff. Which I'd have to agree on, as the sounds Morello can make without using synthesizers and a plethora of mixing is pretty amazing. And you know you mark out for the harmonica-like solo in "Guerilla Radio."

Yes, solo's should fit the song. But they should also help fit the music. To say a solo is bad has to be judged both against the "feel" of the song and the style of music the song is in. For example, a metal song is likely to have a solo that is nuts and fast, but just because the content of the song is about, say, depression, doesn't mean the solo doesn't fit, as most metal music is nuts and fast.

It's one thing to say that you don't like a guitar solo because it doesn't fit the song, but to say that the solo is bad because YOU don't like it, regardless of the fact that it fits the music? Bullshit.

That list is a joke...

Freebird? Comfortably Numb?

Anastasia(Pulling Teeth)??? ...at least get the fucking song title right...

Its Anesthesia for gods sake..and its a cool ass Bass solo...

It's one thing to say that you don't like a guitar solo because it doesn't fit the song, but to say that the solo is bad because YOU don't like it, regardless of the fact that it fits the music? Bullshit.

What if it's a bad solo fitting bad music?

Then it's fitting, and can't really be a truly bad solo because it fits the BAD music. Case in point: any of the solo's on Nevermind The Bollocks. The solo's are crap, but they fit perfectly with the music.