TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cerebus

The OaO Presidential Debate II Thread

Guest Cerebus

Figured the VP Debate thread was already moving to talkinga bout the new debate so might as well open it up now.

Guest MikeSC

Hmm, odd. I received an e-mail from Terry McAuliffe, informing me that Pres. Bush wet himself during the debate and that, and I quote, "KERRY RULZ!"

Weird.

-=Mike

Considering the route that the polls are taking right now, both popular and electoral, Bush really needs a hugely good performance on Friday night...

If not, any lead he might have right now will probably be completely gone by Monday morning....perhaps he should take Friday off entirely from campaigning?

According to my watch, the second debate is tonight...

Who plans to watch it live? Who intends to spend Friday night in a more interesting fashion and tape it/watch a replay?

It's not a true town hall debate since the people asking questions have been pre-selected.

In previous presidential town hall debates (notably 1992) the audience came to the mic and asked whatever the hell they wanted. Hilarity ensued.

Now if one of the people speaking tonight lied to the screeners and goes off on a tangent about communism or something, it has the potential to be legendary.

Guest MikeSC
It's not a true town hall debate since the people asking questions have been pre-selected.

In previous presidential town hall debates (notably 1992) the audience came to the mic and asked whatever the hell they wanted. Hilarity ensued.

Now if one of the people speaking tonight lied to the screeners and goes off on a tangent about communism or something, it has the potential to be legendary.

I still hope somebody took that pony-haired guy from Richmond and just beat the high-holy living hell out of him.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
ok.. how about a bit more background on that guy from Richmond

Dorky mutha who asked this gem:

"The focus of my work as a domestic mediator is meeting the needs of the children that I work with, by way of their parents, and not the wants of their parents. And I ask the three of you, how can we, as symbolically the children of the future president, expect the two of you, the three of you to meet our needs, the needs in housing and in crime and you name it, as opposed to the wants of your political spin doctors and your political parties?"

Anybody who'd ask such a moronically childish question NEEDS a savage beating.

-=Mike

Guest Nanks

I read that through 3 times and can't quite figure out exactly what it is he's asking...

Perhaps INXS could translate it.

on checking the transcript.. you left out the punchline

SIMPSON: So your question is?

and then..

AUDIENCE QUESTION: Can we focus on the issues and not the personalities and the mud? I think there's a need, if we could take a poll here with the folks from Gallup perhaps, I think there's a real need here to focus at this point on the needs.

SIMPSON: How do you respond? How do you gentlemen respond to --

CLINTON: I agree with him.

BUSH: Let's do it.

SIMPSON: President Bush?

BUSH: Let's do it. Let's talk about programs for children.

I read that through 3 times and can't quite figure out exactly what it is he's asking...

Perhaps INXS could translate it.

I'll give it a shot:

Original

"The focus of my work as a domestic mediator is meeting the needs of the children that I work with, by way of their parents, and not the wants of their parents. And I ask the three of you, how can we, as symbolically the children of the future president, expect the two of you, the three of you to meet our needs, the needs in housing and in crime and you name it, as opposed to the wants of your political spin doctors and your political parties?"

Translated

"I'm a social worker and I want a lighter workload. Make it happen bitches."

Guest MikeSC

Again with the blue tie? Jesus, Bush. Color-co-ordinate with the "color" of your states.

-=Mike

Guest GreatOne

Uh oh, Kerry has to answer the wishy-washy charge to start....................

Bush is coming off MUCH better this time around. He's like me, it seems; he has to move around when he speaks.

edit: Excellent defense of the tax cut.

We've lost 1.6M jobs? It's actually 500,000.

-=Mike

Well, we did--but that's not counting jobs gotten back or anything.

Factcheck.ORG, you know...

Guest MikeSC

Bush tying his position switch to Dean. Cheney set him up nicely with that one.

-=Mike