TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

Astros/Cardinals NLCS thread

This is not happening...

The Cardinals are experiencing a meltdown at the worst possible time. I know Backe's not a slouch, but one hit? That's ridiculous. They had to do something to make sure that they saw someone; anyone in there between Backe and Lidge. Thank god there aren't any more games in Houston as far as this series goes; it's becoming clear that the Stros are unbeatable in that bandbox of horror.

Tony La Russa has 2,100 more wins than me, but for the life of me there is NO WAY I walk somebody with a 2-2 count. Have enough faith you can strike Berkman out. Once you do that there's 2 outs os it doesn't matter if Beltran is on third.

I thought the Cardinals were very impatient at the plate at bad times, as in the sixth inning, Backe had given up his first hit in a long at-bat to Womack and had just walked Larry Walker, and Albert Pujols hacks away on the first pitch.

St. Louis has not lost at home yet, so they still have to be confident, but they better try to jump on whoever is starting Game 6 quick to give Matt Morris a bit of cushion, because lord knows his pitches like landing in the seats.

The worst thing about the walk is the message that it sent to Isringhausen - "I don't feel like you can get one more strike on Berkman." And, considering the pitch he grooved for Kent, it's pretty obvious that Izzy was affected by it.

Just an insane move...but that's how things have swung in Houston. I'm still perplexed how a team that survived on "tough at bats" all season is now all of a sudden morphing into the Anaheim Angels, swinging at pickoff throws to first. When it's all said and done, if the Cardinals lose, it'll be hard picking a goat between Matt Morris, Jason Marquis, Julian F'n Tavarez and everybody in the lineup except for Larry Walker and Albert Pujols.

Just get the team the hell out of Texas, for the love of all that's holy. Away from the singing and clapping and the most annoying stadium in all of stadium-dom. And I'll be praying for sunshine on Wednesday.

Julian Tavarez scared me when he was flipping the fuck out after the Beltran homer. He looks like a drug dealer as it is, but when he was spazzing out, I thought he was going to shoot Beltran.

I get off of work at 5, so I'll miss a little bit of the NLCS, which sucks because this series has been competitive the entire way through. I find myself cheering for neither team, but I guess favoring the Cards. Pujols rules.

Pete Munro is starting Game 6. Good choice imo. Clemens hasn't been effective on 3 days rest. Better to risk a Game 7 with Clemens/Oswalt/Lidge.

Not only that, but would the Astros really want to have to rely on Oswalt in a game 7 if his arm is as tired as he indicates it might be? He didn't pitch well at all in game 4 on full rest...could they expect him to pitch well now on short rest?

Munro is the right choice for game 6.

Yeah, I'll be cancelling that scheduled rain dance now.

Honestly, I'm kind of torn on this decision. On one hand, it puts the Astros in a great position for the World Series if they steal one with Munro. Even if they lose tonight, they get a fresh Clemens for Game 7 and a rejuvenated (?) Ozwalt takes the mound for Game 1 of the World Series.

The bad news is that, by not pushing all of your chips in, you're inviting the Cards to get back into this series. Munro was serviceable at best in Game 2 and, if the Cardinals remember to be patient, they'll be breaking into the bullpen early (Munro's longest start of the year was a seven inning affair against Milwaukee in July), which means that Houston will have even less room for error in a potential Game 7.

Guest Wart

I would settle for 6 good innings out of Munro. Maybe even 5. Or 4 great innings. Im not expecting much from him, but I am glad they arent gonna make Clemens pitch on 3 days rest again, although what are the odds that if it goes to extra innings(or in any scenario where Lidge has pitched) that Clemens would possibly be used out of the pen?

what are the odds that if it goes to extra innings(or in any scenario where Lidge has pitched) that Clemens would possibly be used out of the pen?

Zero, because the Astros are not in a must-win situation today. Neither Oswalt or Clemens will pitch today in any capacity. Backe would be a possibility however.

Well this is Backe's regular day to throw on the side, so I think he could probably gear up for an inning or 2 if necessary.

Hmm...1/2 an hour to game time. Everyone does know there is another game to play before "THE GREATEST AND MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF ALL TIME!!!" (/media mode off), right?

*listens to the crickets chirp*

*wanders off*

Bagwell ties it in the top of the 9th.

Interesting question...what does Fox do if this game goes to extras and is still on when the Sox/Yanks game comes on?

Stros/Cards will go to FX like Sox/Yanks did Monday.

Bagwell ties it in the top of the 9th.

Interesting question...what does Fox do if this game goes to extras and is still on when the Sox/Yanks game comes on?

Stros/Cards will go to FX like Sox/Yanks did Monday.

Except Sox/Yanks was on the main network the entire time. I watched it.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Larry Walker sure has cooled.

I think its more of Lidge being Un-Hittable.

In the series in general, I said this before the last at-bat

Well shit, I was hoping this would be over tonight just for the sake of being over

Plus I warmed to the possible idea of Fat Rodge returning to Fenway