TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

Astros/Cardinals NLCS thread

This one is ALL on Phil "Genius" Garner.

Oswalt should have been in the game, period. The only way he doesn't come in is if he couldn't get loose or something.

EDIT: Oh, and double-switching out your second hottest hitter? Genius, indeed.

LaRussa needs to call up Dave Stewart to pitch against Clemens tommorrow.

Stewart v. Clemens was the "Roadrunner v. Wily Coyote" back in our day.

I'm actually much more interested in the NLCS game 7 than I was in tonight's ALCS. To me, either the Yanks or Sox in the World Series is quite acceptable. However, in this case the Astros in no way are an acceptable team to make the World Series. It's not just that I hate them (hey, I'm a Cubs fan), but they finished 13 GAMES behind the Cardinals. You can at least say the Yankees and Sox were the two best teams in the AL, but the Astros? They finished 13 games out in their division...yet could get to the World Series??? It's disgusting, and if it happens it's the best argument I can think of for scrapping the current playoff format.

I'm actually much more interested in the NLCS game 7 than I was in tonight's ALCS. To me, either the Yanks or Sox in the World Series is quite acceptable. However, in this case the Astros in no way are an acceptable team to make the World Series. It's not just that I hate them (hey, I'm a Cubs fan), but they finished 13 GAMES behind the Cardinals. You can at least say the Yankees and Sox were the two best teams in the AL, but the Astros? They finished 13 games out in their division...yet could get to the World Series??? It's disgusting, and if it happens it's the best argument I can think of for scrapping the current playoff format.

But if the Cubs had not choked and were in the position the Astros are in now, then it would be fine and dandy right?

It's not just that I hate them (hey, I'm a Cubs fan), but they finished 13 GAMES behind the Cardinals. You can at least say the Yankees and Sox were the two best teams in the AL, but the Astros? They finished 13 games out in their division...yet could get to the World Series??? It's disgusting, and if it happens it's the best argument I can think of for scrapping the current playoff format. 

Um...why? If we scrapped the format, then the Red Sox(a team you just called one of the Top 2 teams in the AL) wouldn't be in the playoffs, while either Anaheim or Minnesota(both finished 9 games behind the Yankees) would. By that same token, both Atlanta(9 games behind St. Louis) and Los Angeles(12 games behind St. Louis) should also not be in the playoffs because, by your logic, they finished too far behind St. Louis to merit consideration as a World Series team.

Playoffs go both ways. Some years you will have four infinitely qualified teams who deserve to be there. Heck, Boston had the third best record in baseball, but was a wild card team this year. Other years, you will have teams that are nothing more than first round fodder in the wild card spot.

Besides, at the beginning of the year, Houston was certainly among some people's picks as a possible World Series contender, and they added Carlos Beltran to that. On paper, at least, they seem like they would fit right in as a World Series team, certainly moreso than the Dodgers and the Braves.

You know, people forget that Jimy Williams probably single-handedly cost the Astros five or six games with his love for Orlando Palmeiro, the sacrifice bunt, and other various managerial fuckups.

The Astros are very deserving to be in the postseason - considering that they won the NLDS and had the lead in this series, I don't think it really requires much explanation past that.

You know, people forget that Jimy Williams probably single-handedly cost the Astros five or six games with his love for Orlando Palmeiro, the sacrifice bunt, and other various managerial fuckups.

What about Phil "whoops, gimme my lineup card back, I forgot how to do a double-switch" Garner?

I can't really vouch for him, since I didn't catch many regular season Astros games. But I will say that he probably cost the Astros the opportunity to clinch at home by his inexplicable refusal to pitch Dan Miceli in Game 2...and that's bad enough.

I just think of how people laud him as a managerial genius, Jack McKeon '04, and then remember how he had to call time out in a game against the Cubs and take the lineup card back from the umpire because he made the wrong change. I forgot exactly what he did wrong but it was pretty asinine.

The worst part was they LET him.

Let me add some to my previous post. If the Cubs were in the Astros place I would certainly be rooting for them, but deep down I'd realize it's still wrong to even get a shot at someone you finished 13 games behind. I guess my point is that I'd like to see them scrap this current bullshit and go back to something similar to pre 1995 playoffs. Except to prevent something like the 1993 fiasco where the Giants won 103 games and didn't get in, I'd have them take the top 2 teams of each league and have the NLCS and ALCS. So in other words you'd have had the Yankees and Red Sox still in the AL (appropo since they are the two best in the AL) and in the NL it would have been St. Louis vs. Atlanta.

I think this is probably the best way to go about it. It elminates undeserving teams who fuck around for most of the regular season thinking they'll still get in the playoffs (what is this, the NBA?), and doesn't penalize someone for having the misfortune of being the 2nd best team in the league when the best team is in their own division.

The Astros during the regular season were NOT the 2nd best team in the NL, and I don't care what kind of late season run they made.

But your plan means that divisions are pointless and the Twins and Angels get nothing for being the best in their league-sanctioned divisions.

One Wild Card per league is acceptable. I have a problem with the people who want five per league.

Guest Smues

I saw keep it as it is. DO NOT add more wild cards as has been talked about, and for the love of god don't expand the DS round to 7 games like has been discussed. The system works as is, leave it alone.

It's not just that I hate them (hey, I'm a Cubs fan), but they finished 13 GAMES behind the Cardinals. You can at least say the Yankees and Sox were the two best teams in the AL, but the Astros? They finished 13 games out in their division...yet could get to the World Series??? It's disgusting, and if it happens it's the best argument I can think of for scrapping the current playoff format. 

Um...why? If we scrapped the format, then the Red Sox(a team you just called one of the Top 2 teams in the AL) wouldn't be in the playoffs, while either Anaheim or Minnesota(both finished 9 games behind the Yankees) would. By that same token, both Atlanta(9 games behind St. Louis) and Los Angeles(12 games behind St. Louis) should also not be in the playoffs because, by your logic, they finished too far behind St. Louis to merit consideration as a World Series team.

Playoffs go both ways. Some years you will have four infinitely qualified teams who deserve to be there. Heck, Boston had the third best record in baseball, but was a wild card team this year. Other years, you will have teams that are nothing more than first round fodder in the wild card spot.

Besides, at the beginning of the year, Houston was certainly among some people's picks as a possible World Series contender, and they added Carlos Beltran to that. On paper, at least, they seem like they would fit right in as a World Series team, certainly moreso than the Dodgers and the Braves.

Let's also not forget that even though the Astros were 13 games behind St. Louis they beat the Cardinals more times than the Cardinals beat them during the season. The Astros can more than hang with St. Louis and they have won their way through the playoffs to get to this point, which means beating teams that had better records in those playoffs.

I don't think it's disgusting if the Astros make it to the World Series because they worked their butts off to get back into this position.

Guest cpac

COME ON ST LOUIS, I dont want to see Fat Roger and Loser Andy make it to the World Series. Fuck both of those traitors.