TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Guest Anglesault
David Wells is no longer solid and dependable.

He didn't have a bad year by any stretch.

I'd seriously rather have Milton than him

Well, yes, when given the choice between a proven big game pitcher with years of experience and the proven abaility to pitch in New York, and a guy who has never in his career been good, is a home run machine (and yes, I realize Wells has a small problem there as well, but he has qualities to offset that) and can't get righties nor lefties out, I pick Milton in a heartbeat.

Wells on a stretcher is better than Milton.

I'm kind of jaded, after two straight years of "he's not THAT bad" biting me in the ass.

I don't want "not that bad" or "so-so" or "eh" I just want solid and dependable.

Sometimes you need to buy low. Look at how the Yankees built their team in the first place. Paul O'Neill slugged a meager .373 in Cincinnati before the Yankees traded for him. Scott Brosius hit 203/259/317 the year before in Oakland, when the Yankees traded for him. David Wells compiled a gaudy 5.17 ERA when the Yankees picked him up the first time. Darryl Strawberry came off of three years of batting .237, .140, and .239, respectively. You can't always have players who are 100% reliable. But if you are willing to overlook the warts, you can find some gems.

Guest Anglesault
I'm kind of jaded, after two straight years of "he's not THAT bad" biting me in the ass.

I don't want "not that bad" or "so-so" or "eh" I just want solid and dependable.

Sometimes you need to buy low.

If you have some reason to believe that the stock is going to go up. You don't just buy low for the hell of buying low.

David Wells is no longer solid and dependable. I'd seriously rather have Milton than him. It sounds like you just want the big names, whether they are good anymore or not, which is exactly what has gotten your team in the trouble it is in right now. Signing Wells is something your crosstown rivals would do.

Wells was better in 04 than Milton. Wells is older and his back is a measurable risk, but I'd take my chances with Wells over Milton.

Guest Anglesault
David Wells is no longer solid and dependable. I'd seriously rather have Milton than him. It sounds like you just want the big names, whether they are good anymore or not, which is exactly what has gotten your team in the trouble it is in right now. Signing Wells is something your crosstown rivals would do.

Wells was better in 04 than Milton.

Not an entirely fair guage. I was better in 04 than Milton

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?i...TC-DT9705204233

TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays agreed to buy SkyDome, the team's ballpark, for about $21.24 million.

The 50,000-seat stadium, which opened in 1989, cost about $375 million to construct and was mostly funded by taxpayers. The Blue Jays, who are owned by Rogers Communications, will acquire the ballpark from Sportsco International LP, a Chicago-based group of investors who bought SkyDome out of bankruptcy court in 1999 for about $74 million.

"This will enable us to measurably improve the efficiency of our business operations," Blue Jays president Paul Godfrey said.

The sale is expected to close in December, the team said Monday. The Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts plan to move from SkyDome, which has a retractable roof, to a new 25,000-seat outdoor stadium in 2006.

The Blue Jays, who finished last in the American League East Division with a record of 67-94 this past season, won the World Series in back-to-back seasons beginning in 1992 but have not finished higher than third in their division since.

SkyDome is a retractable roof stadium with artificial turf and 110 private boxes.

Apparently, they want to re-name it Rogers SkyDome, which would be stupid, since no one's going to call it that.

I remember a big to-do when it first opened, that the name was just "SkyDome," not "The SkyDome." Obviously, shunning articles is a sign of sophistication in Canada...

And isn't $21m really fucking cheap considering how much the bloody place cost to build in the first place?

Guest Anglesault
Perhaps. The problem is that AS is bringing up Milton AGAIN without adding anything to the topic or conversation. This is a discussion forum, not one member's personal bitchfest.

Forgive me if I haven't found our post season pitching implosions of the last three years nearly as hilarious as everyone else.

In other, news, the Yankees are close to resigning John Flaherty.

I like John, but the Yankees priorities at this point are so fucked that I have almost zero faith in this team doing any better than last year.

Its better to sign people now than it is later.

i.e the Beson deal absolutley forcing us to give Lieber more money than we would have if we had resigned him before the Benson deal was announced. I'm doubting that were going to sign Lieber, and it sucks.

Perhaps.  The problem is that AS is bringing up Milton AGAIN without adding anything to the topic or conversation.  This is a discussion forum, not one member's personal bitchfest.

Forgive me if I haven't found our post season pitching implosions of the last three years nearly as hilarious as everyone else.

In other, news, the Yankees are close to resigning John Flaherty.

I like John, but the Yankees priorities at this point are so fucked that I have almost zero faith in this team doing any better than last year.

Awwww......poor wittle AS......you need some more cheese with that whine

Guest Anglesault
....poor wittle AS......you need some more cheese with that whine

It's not whining to state that the Yankees are completely sleepwalking through the off season up until this point. They're making a kind of half assed attempt at Pedro Martinez, but appear to have absolutely no plan B should that (as it probably will) fall through, have totally been spinning their wheels on a Randy Johnson trade and, have to the best of my knowledge, not even given Jon Lieber a token offer. We're no closer to a centerfielder-any centerfielder than we were a month ago. It's ungodly frustrating to watch this team make progress only in areas that can wait a while.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

is there, honestly, anyone who doesn't think Beltran will go to the Yanks? Anyone?

You can't expect any big signings before the Winter Meetings in December. Rest assured that there are alot of free agent and trade offers floating around, but the GMs don't go running to the press every time they've placed a phone call. A good 75% of rumors are bunk, and never amount to anything.

And isn't $21m really fucking cheap considering how much the bloody place cost to build in the first place?

That's why the Jays are really, really happy today...

The word on the street is that Armando Benitez has reached a 3 year, $21 million dollar contract with the San Francisco Giants.

Why would the Giants want to add that lead weight upon themselves?

And it's being reported that the New York Mets have offered Pedro Martinez a 3-year, 38-million contract, which surpasses the Red Sox offer so far. The Mets aren't going to actually sign Pedro, but it's nice to see them trying anyway.

Mets Top Red Sox in Offer to Martínez

By LEE JENKINS and JACK CURRY

Published: November 30, 2004

The team that almost always showed up a few days late and a couple of million dollars short has pulled up the first seat at the high-stakes table. In recent years, the Mets were too late to land Mike Mussina. They were too cheap to bid for Alex Rodriguez. They were too cautious in the competition for Vladimir Guerrero.

But under a new general manager, Omar Minaya, the Mets may be changing the way they do business. The Mets have submitted a contract proposal to Pedro Martínez that is more lucrative than the one offered by the Boston Red Sox, according to a major league executive with knowledge of the discussions.

To this point, baseball's off-season has mostly been marked by everything that has not happened. No prominent free agents have switched teams and no blockbuster deals have been announced. There probably have been as many unreturned phone calls as substantive conversations, as many empty promises as actual negotiations.

In making a run at Martínez, the Mets are among the first teams to put their cash on the table for a premium player. The Red Sox have offered Martínez a two-year guaranteed contract worth $25.5 million with an easily attainable third-year option. The Mets countered late Sunday with a three-year guaranteed contract worth approximately $38 million with a vesting option for a fourth year. Neither the Mets nor Martínez's agent Fernando Cuza would confirm or deny the offer.

With the offer, the Mets have conveyed that they are serious about signing Martínez and want to make an impact in the 2005 season. Although there is obvious skepticism as to why Martínez would leave a World Series champion to play for the Mets, who barely avoided finishing in last place for the third year in a row, there are also indications that he is considering the idea. Martínez has previously had success in the National League, coming up with the Los Angeles Dodgers and establishing himself in Montreal, where he won the first of his three Cy Young awards.

The Red Sox indicated that they would not change their initial offer to Martínez until they knew there was competition. Now, the 33-year-old Martínez has something to take back to Boston, whether the Mets are just a bargaining chip or a legitimate destination. For everything Boston can promise - a clubhouse accepting of Martínez's somewhat unpredictable ways, a rabid fan base and another chance at a World Series - he knows that he would start next season behind Curt Schilling in Boston's rotation. With the Mets, he would become the team's ace.

During interviews this off-season, Martínez said he was open-minded about leaving Boston, where he has spent the past seven seasons. More than anything, he said, he sought respect and would judge teams by the way they treated him. Minaya accelerated the courting process when he took Martínez to dinner on Thursday night in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, the country where Minaya and Martínez were born. A couple of days later, Minaya began drawing up an offer for Martínez.

By contrast, the Yankees' principal owner, George Steinbrenner, met with Martínez on Nov. 16 in Tampa, Fla., and has still not offered him a contract. Despite Steinbrenner's sense of competition with the Mets and the Red Sox, one person in baseball who has spoken with him said Steinbrenner was not rattled by the Mets' pursuit of Martínez. Steinbrenner could always change his mind, but as of now, he appears willing to let Martínez relocate to Queens instead of the Bronx.

Instead, Steinbrenner and the Yankees seem more focused on acquiring Randy Johnson from Arizona. The Yankees and the Diamondbacks have had discussions about Johnson, 41, but the talks have not advanced far, and a trade would be difficult to complete.

Because the Yankees acknowledge that they may fail to land Johnson, they have expressed interest in a handful of other pitchers. They will play host to Florida's Carl Pavano this weekend, and according to Pavano's agent, Scott Shapiro, Pavano will meet with General Manager Brian Cashman and the pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre, along with Mussina and Javier Vazquez, Pavano's former teammate in Montreal.

The Yankees have also continued talks with one free-agent left-handed pitcher, Philadelphia's Eric Milton, but have been hesitant to pursue another, Al Leiter, because of his allegiance to the Mets. The Yankees' stance may change now that the Mets have made an aggressive offer to Martínez, which would seem to be one more indication that the Mets no longer want Leiter. Nevertheless, Randy Hendricks, one of Leiter's agents, wrote in an e-mail message yesterday that the Yankees and the Mets remained viable options for his client. "We don't consider anything exhausted at this point in time with either team," he wrote.

Meanwhile, Minaya's priorities for this winter are becoming clearer. He hopes to sign Martínez and then find a first baseman and a corner outfielder. The Mets have not made an offer to Richie Sexson, the free-agent first baseman who played last season for Arizona, but they have had extensive communication with his agent and appear as interested in Sexson as he is in them.

The 6-foot-8 Sexson would be a steadying influence for a young infield and could reduce the number of throwing errors the Mets had last season. Besides his above-average defense, Sexson, 29, would provide plenty of power, having hit 45 home runs for Milwaukee in 2001 and 2003. He had shoulder surgery last season, but the operation was not to his throwing arm, and some teams are even looking at him as a left fielder.

The Mets still seem eager to fill one outfield spot with Sammy Sosa. They would be satisfied to trade Cliff Floyd for Sosa, but Minaya and Chicago Cubs General Manager Jim Hendry are going back and forth on the financial particulars. Minaya recently submitted a counter proposal in which the Cubs would assume more of Sosa's salary.

Minaya has already been waiting on Hendry, and now he is waiting on Martínez. No one, however, is waiting on the Mets.

And why wont the Mets sign Pedro? Omar is DYING to make a big splash this off season for whatever reason.

Guest Anglesault
Why would the Giants want to add that lead weight upon themselves?

And it's being reported that the New York Mets have offered Pedro Martinez a 3-year, 38-million contract, which surpasses the Red Sox offer so far. The Mets aren't going to actually sign Pedro, but it's nice to see them trying anyway.

Does that mean Pedro's washed up?

is there, honestly, anyone who doesn't think Beltran will go to the Yanks? Anyone?
Who the hell knows at this point. Maybe the Yankees will miss out after spending 5 strenuous weeks negotiating with Ruben Sierra.