TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

So, whats going on?

So, it's been quite a while since I've said anything to anyone and I feel really bad about it too.

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up as to what's going on in my life and hopefully re-integrate myself onto the board.

So, as I'm sure most of you know, I'm living on my own now and it's really not as easy as it seems. Not necessarily because it's hard, but because more or less...I'm just lazy. Since I work from 10 - 6:30 at a job which can be VERY stressful at times, I normally spend the next couple of hours at my friends place, just relaxing. I don't get home until about 8-9pm on most nights and by that time, I'm either watching something on TV or I just don't feel like moving off my couch. But this morning, I finally got up and cleaned this place up for a change. Having crazy ass dreams all morning about being in Dawn of the Dead doesn't help, especially since I haven't seen the fucking movie! (It's all improv up there, baby.)

Did some laundry, watched some TV, etc. and now I'm actually got nothing to do.

Now here's a story that's going to make you laugh. I had my car for all of ONE DAY before it broke down on me and got towed away.

The night of the Mayorga-Trinidad fight almost a month ago, I drove to my friends place (which is another hilarious story that I won't get into now) to watch the event. I headed back at about 2:00am as I stayed to watch a replay of the Klitchko fight on Showtime. On the way home, NO ONE was on the road and since I had my license for less than 24 hours at that point, I decided to give it a spin, try and learn the area.

After about an hour of driving, I decided I was going to call it a night...and I broke down going up a hill less than a mile away from my place. So, let's check it...

It's 3:00am. It's cold, I JUST got my license...and I don't know much about car maintenance since this is my first car. (It's a POS 15 year old LeBaron) Anyway, I didn't have Triple A yet, since I've had the car for ONE DAY and I didn't have any roadside plan...and who the hell am I going to call at 3:00am? So...I didn't freak out until about 4:00am when a cop rolled by and told me that I had to move the car since I was on a road. He called in a tower and took the car away...and the cop gave me a ride home, but made me sit in the back.

Now, even though I was only less than a mile away from home, I live practically on the town line between Bristol and Southington and I was technically in another town at that time, so since I didn't have much cash on me, they towed the car to a lot in Southington and I had to pay over a $100 to get it back.

I finally got it back and I've FINALLY got the damn thing running again, but I blew a fuse the night I broke down since I kept trying to start the car. So, basically I've got no headlights right now, which makes the car useless. That's being repaired this week, but this past month has been horrible in terms of that.

On the flip side, I'm doing GLORIOUS at my job as I finished the month standings in the top 10 out of 200 Sales Agents, top 3 on my team and made a $1000 commission in my FIRST MONTH out of training! My manager loves me and I'm getting a great reputation at work.

I've recently discovered the beauty of Bit Torrent and combine that with the fact that I'm getting DVR installed in two weeks and I'm never missing a show again.

I haven't been home in over a month and I've got the afro to show for it. For those of you who ask why I don't just cut my hair up here forget that I don't have a RUNNING VEHICLE and two, I don't trust anyone in CT with a pair of scissors and a buzzer.

I've been catching a TON of shit at my job for being a Yankee's fan this postseason as it's 70% Sox there. I was STILL talking shit when the SOX were up 3-0 on the Cardinals! I wasn't saying much during the ALCS, but after the Yanks lost and I got taunted for days...AngleSault had nothing on me.

I FINALLY subscribed to the Wrestling Observer after years of procrastination and it's been worth it so far.

I haven't been to the movies in months, but I do want to check out Saw.

Lost RULES and I want to confirm once again my hatred for fullscreen. I'd rather download the HDTV rip and watch it on the comp that watch it on TV.

Smallville's been great so far this season, but TV isn't the same without any Buffy or Angel and making me wait so damn long for 24 & Alias.

Finally got through Season 2 of the Shield and THAT was awesome. Can't wait to get the 3rd one on DVD.

Don't know what else to say for now, but I am still watching...

Dames

Guest Brian

If you were white, the cop would have let you sit on the front and toy with the shotgun. :D

"I agree. What was that beane... uh, gentleman, doing here anyway? Darling, would you like some caviar?" ;)

Saw sucks ass, Dames. The acting is horrid. Go see Ray if you want to see a great movie.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Why are you driving that old car? You'd spend more money trying to repair the goddamn thing then you would buying a realtively new used car.

Why are you driving that old car? You'd spend more money trying to repair the goddamn thing then you would buying a realtively new used car.

The honest to God truth is that I'm a horrible driver since everyone crashes their first car, I just wanted a beater for about a year or so, while I can save money and gain experience.

Dames

Eaten any good or interesting food's you'd care to share with us, Dames?

I've pretty much had every pizzaria and chinese take out place in the area deliver to my apt.

In the town over, there's a strip with every single fast food chain, a Denny's and several cultural restaurants. Lots of options.

But...I'm a picky eater so I haven't ventured into exotic foods here.

Dames

Well, I wouldn't say that I'm horrible...I'm just not confident, but that comes from lack of experience. I got my license and since then, I've only driven the damn car 3 times. The car has given me trouble ever since I got it and to be honest with you, the guy who sold it to me is a friend and he's been putting in all of the money to fix it. I still haven't even paid him for the car.

I just can't wait to get back on the road.

Dames

I had the Death Boat break down on me twice (hence the name), luckily I was near my uncles for one time and was able to get it to his house (he worked for Chrysler), and another time was the middle of the night and I was able to flag down a passing tow truck. 80 bucks for the tow and he told me that if you ever needed a tow truck, call the police and report that you've been in a car accident and you'll have several trucks comin by to choose from and you'll be able to haggle your way down. Never tried that out cause it sounds retarded, but hey.

LOST~!

Guest The Shadow Behind You

The honest to God truth is that I'm a horrible driver since everyone crashes their first car, I just wanted a beater for about a year or so, while I can save money and gain experience.

Dames

I've been driving for awhile and I've yet to crash or even have a fender bender and people consider me a reckless driver with no discernable care for my fellow drivers on the road.

The car has given me trouble ever since I got it and to be honest with you, the guy who sold it to me is a friend and he's been putting in all of the money to fix it. I still haven't even paid him for the car.

How many more times can he fix the car before you finally give back those pictures of him without showing anybody? Have a heart, man.

Dames who?

Having to drive in CT, I'd be scared, too.

The one thing that sucks about living on your own is paying the bills -- not necessarily paying them, but having to write out the checks, figure out what bills have arrived for that month, etc.

Y'all come back now, Dames...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Dames, I'm going to tell you a thing or two about automobiles...since I've had many.

Beater cars aren't even worth it. I kept a junkyard in business for a while, constantly repairing these cars that limp bleeding down the highway with three hubcaps, one headlight, no radio, no ac, a blown oxygen sensor, tricky throttle..all kinds of things, and what I've learned is that such a vehicle makes you more likely to get into a wreck, and they don't protect you when you do. It only takes one real bad one...luckily I'm indestructable so I never came out with much more than a broken nose or some minor cuts and burns.

Fact of the matter is, I too have a job that pays me slightly decently, and can now AFFORD a vehicle with such luxuries as basic features, airbags, etc..your car may have these things, depending on the level of beater it is. Take advantage of your standing, Dames. You might be afraid of wrecking a nice car, and yeah, you could very definitely get in a wreck. I wrecked my first car. You're an inexperienced driver going into a New England winter (hahahaha). Mine was midwestern, but you get the picture.

But look at it this way..say you drive safely, and the car STILL breaks down on...how about Jan 17th on the way home from your buddy's like yours did to you.

Junky old LaBarons break down, Dames. For no reason. Same goes for Cavaliers, S10s, Probes, Bonnevilles, Shadows, Tempos, Astrovans, Celebrities, Eighty-Eights..do you really want me to continue? It's just what they do, and it's a real crapshoot buying 350-850 dollar used cars off of people, or shitty car lots.

Are you prepared to sit in a freezing cold shitbox until either someone rolls by, or you feel like braving the elements? I've done that. More than once, and the thing you'll be saying to yourself is "This fucking sucks," but that'll be after you kick the fuck out of your god damn worthless car stuck in a ditch with the engine killed as semis FLY by on the road flinging slush and wind all over you.

Trust me. Find something nice. Make payments. Build credit, and drive something that isn't going to die on you at the worst possible time.

I bought a car off my neighbor for $300 (only paid $100 of it). It lasted me about a month and a half, had no air conditioning, and took forever to speed up. It was a '90, I believe it was an Oldmobile Delta. It would constantly stall, and one day, I was coming out of the bank and the motherfucker just wouldn't start. Didn't strain, didn't make a noise, I'd turn the key, and there was nothing but silence. Any idea why that happened AOO? Did the old piece of shit just completely quit on me?

Having to drive in CT, I'd be scared, too.

I almost got hit by 2 Metro type buses on I-91 from New Haven to Hamden on Saturday. It's not a great feeling driving someone else's car, following people on a highway in the rain at night and almost getting hit several times. And I thought people in Texas drove badly.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I bought a car off my neighbor for $300 (only paid %100 of it). It lasted me about a month and a half, had no air conditioning, and took forever to speed up. It was a '90, I believe it was an Oldmobile Delta. It would constantly stall, and one day, I was coming out of the bank and the motherfucker just wouldn't start. Didn't strain, didn't make a noise, I'd turn the key, and there was nothing but silence. Any idea why that happened AOO? Did the old piece of shit just completely quit on me?

Yeah, more or less. I've had that exact same kind of car and paid a similar price for it. Probably the fuel pump, since mine did that when it broke. I'm not a car guy though.

get a Honda, Dames

I've had mine for almost 2 years, no problems, just turned over 309000 km (170000 mi)

still runs great, keeps its value, awesome on gas, looks good (black, pop up lights, coupe)

all you really sacrifice is power, but itll beat most cars of its age ('88)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You guys should be getting snow in the next couple weeks, Dames...

I haven't been home in over a month and I've got the afro to show for it. For those of you who ask why I don't just cut my hair up here forget that I don't have a RUNNING VEHICLE and two, I don't trust anyone in CT with a pair of scissors and a buzzer.

Go to Fantastic Sams.

I've been catching a TON of shit at my job for being a Yankee's fan this postseason as it's 70% Sox there. I was STILL talking shit when the SOX were up 3-0 on the Cardinals! I wasn't saying much during the ALCS, but after the Yanks lost and I got taunted for days...AngleSault had nothing on me.

Good.

Smallville's been great so far this season, but TV isn't the same without any Buffy or Angel and making me wait so damn long for 24 & Alias.

Amen to that.

CT is much better than NYC, any day of the week.

How many more times can he fix the car before you finally give back those pictures of him without showing anybody? Have a heart, man.

That took me a couple of reads to get it, but after that I was highly amused. Good work.