TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

The survey was conducted by some major survey company, so they talked more than just 'hardcore' fans. They talked to casual WCW fans, hardcore WCW fans, the works. It wasn't just a small section they talked to.

The Vampiro squash to Disco was meant to be about 10 minutes, then as Vampiro was going out he was told it was cut to 3 minutes, and then when he got to the ring, the referee said it was now 45 seconds.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

The Screaming Eagles (WCW)

Why did the Freebirds go by this name? When did this go down and what was the story?

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Masked Men Who Attacked Hulk Hogan In 1994 Arn Anderson, Bunkhouse Buck, Steve Kiern, and Brutus Beefcake

The only 2 incidents I recall are Clash and Havoc. When did the other 2 events occur?

There was a live Main Event special where the masked man attacked during a tag match between Hogan/Dave Sullivan vs. ?Kevin Sullivan/Ric Flair?. Then, as Hogan was going to unmask him, another masked man came in to attack Hogan. In kayfabe terms, one of these could have been Brutus since I believe he left ringside during the match.

Is Great American Bash 1990 a good show at all?

# Doug Furnas pinned Dutch Mantel (11:18).

# Mike Rotunda pinned The Iron Sheik (6:46).

# Brian Pillman pinned Buddy Landell (9:29).

# NWA Tag Champs Doom beat The Rock-n-Roll Express (15:40) when Reed pinned Gibson.

# Paul Orndorff, Junkyard Dog, & El Gigante beat Sid Vicious, Arn Anderson, & Barry Windham (8:53) via DQ.

# Harley Race pinned Tommy Rich (6:32).

# Big Van Vader pinned Tom Zenk (2:16).

# Rick & Scott Steiner beat The Freebirds (Garvin & Hayes) (13:45) when Scott pinned Hayes.

# NWA U.S. Tag Champs The Midnight Express (Eaton & Lane) beat Tracey Smothers & Steve Armstrong (18:14) when Eaton pinned Smothers.

# NWA U.S. Champ Lex Luger pinned Mark Callous (12:10).

# Sting pinned Ric Flair (16:06) to win the NWA World Title.

And what was the storyline in the Luger/Mean Mark match?

Guest MikeSC

# NWA Tag Champs Doom beat The Rock-n-Roll Express (15:40) when Reed pinned Gibson.

# Paul Orndorff, Junkyard Dog, & El Gigante beat Sid Vicious, Arn Anderson, & Barry Windham (8:53) via DQ.

# Rick & Scott Steiner beat The Freebirds (Garvin & Hayes) (13:45) when Scott pinned Hayes.

# NWA U.S. Tag Champs The Midnight Express (Eaton & Lane) beat Tracey Smothers & Steve Armstrong (18:14) when Eaton pinned Smothers.

Two of the matches are bloody great.

They're bolded for you. The rest is rather blah (with Luger v Calloway probably being one of the better ones of the rest. R'R v Doom was horrible).

I'm not sure there really was much of a story, as Callous was only a solo for a little while before this match. It was Luger v a big dude, far as I remember.

The commercial tape is a good show as it cuts out all of the following matches:

There are the two good matches that Mike mentioned as well as a rare WCW PPV appearance for Taker and Vader's WCW debut. Sting's first World Title win probably makes the show worth checking out if you are a completist.

Guest MikeSC

Only plus of the Tommy Rich v Harley Race match is that Rich is the only guy I ever see sell a piledriver by bouncing off his head directly up to his feet before falling down again. I thought it was a cool looking bump.

-=Mike

Looking over old GAB cards, I saw this:

The Great American Bash 1987

July 4, 1987 in Atlanta, GA

The Omni drawing 13,500 ($250,000)

1. Kendall Windham pinned Gladiator #1 (Gary Royal) (4:59).

2. Sting pinned Thunderfoot #1 (Joel Deaton) (5:40).

3. Lazertron pinned MOD Squad Spike (7:00).

4. Jimmy Valiant pinned MOD Squad Basher (5:10).

5. UWF Western States Champ Barry Windham pinned Rick Steiner (5:00).

6. Ronnie & Jimmy Garvin beat Vladimir Petrov & The Barbarian (6:00) when Ronnie pinned Barbarian.

7. UWF Tag Champs Tim Horner & Brad Armstrong beat Angel of Death and Bubba Rogers (6:00) when Horner pinned Angel.

8. Chris Adams beat Black Bart (4:35) via DQ.

9. The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes, Gordy, & Roberts) beat Ivan Koloff, Manny Fernandez, & Paul Jones (3:58) when Gordy pinned Jones.

10. NWA Tag Champs The Rock-n-Roll Express beat The Midnight Express (Eaton & Lane) (4:00) via DQ.

11. Steve Williams beat Dick Murdoch (8:00) in a "Texas death" match.

12. The Road Warriors, Nikita Koloff, Dusty Rhodes, & Paul Ellering beat The Four Horsemen (Flair, Arn, Luger, Blanchard, & Dillon) (26:00) in a "wargames" match when Dillon submitted to the Road Warriors.

What was the deal with all the short matches? The tag title match going four minutes and ending in DQ? WTF?

Well, you've got to keep in mind that all the Great American Bashes prior to '88 were house shows, not PPV's. From '85-'87, there wasn't just one Great American Bash event, it was a tour which ran shows in stadiums and arenas all over the south throughout the summer.

Was watching this last night actually.

The Midnight Express vs. The Southern Boys is amazing, probably the best NA match ever. Amazing tag match, the show is worth it just for this match.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

01/08/92

1. Cactus Jack & Abdullah the Butcher defeated Brad Armstrong & Tom Tenk when Abdullah pinned Armstrong. Cactus & Abdullah brawled with each other during and after the match.

Aired on 1/25/92:

3. Ron Simmons & Abdullah The Butcher defeated Cactus Jack & Mr. Hughes.

ABBY was A FACE in WCW???!Q!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

. Johnny B. Badd pinned Richard Morton at 3:20 with a roll-through of Morton's flying bodypress.

7. Vinnie Vegas pinned Thomas Rich in 56 seconds with the "Snake Eyes" (jaw-first overhead drop into the top turnbuckle

WHY are heels facing heels at the Jan Clash of Champs??? (92)

The Wrecking Crew Jan 1993 Who were these guys in WCW?

One was Al Greene, who teamed with Kevin Nash as The Master Blasters back in 1990. The other was Florida indy worker The Terminator, who is actually the brother of Road Warrior Animal and Johnny Ace.

Wow this thread is a beast. I'm trying to read it all at work, i have 10 hours to do so, i'm on page 12 i think. So If these questions have been asked on the pages I haven't read yet, I'm sorry.

1) Wasn't there a rumor going around that Lenny Lane died in a boating accident? And did WCW actually address it on TV when he return? I seem to remember Shiavone saying something about it during Lenny's entrance.

2) Were there any long term plan for the Insane Clown Posse? I remember there being a tag team battle royal or tournament for the titles and they were gonna be in it, but they dissappeared before then. Also did they have heat with everyone backstage, like people say they did?

3) Was Ralphus really the truck driver for the semi that carried the ring?

4) Was there ever a plan for a Disco push, other than his Wolfpac days? And whats with the rumors that he wanted to retool his gimmick to be called "Ali the Elephant Boy" and he wanted to debut an "Alien" gimmicked tag team?

5) Speaking of wierd tag teams, who were the dudes that debuted on Nitro in either 99 or 00 and squashed some guys. They wore pantyhose on thier head and looked like they came straight outta WWF War Zone for the PS1.

6) When was the Bret Hart angle when he knocked out Goldberg and took him to the desert and kept asking him if "he liked to end careers"?

7) So the BATB00 shoot was suppossed to cause a brand extension? So was JJ laying down for hogan a work and then russo took the comments too far. Cuz in Hogan's book he tells a different story.

thanks in advance

4) Was there ever a plan for a Disco push, other than his Wolfpac days? And whats with the rumors that he wanted to retool his gimmick to be called "Ali the Elephant Boy" and he wanted to debut an "Alien" gimmicked tag team?

5) Speaking of wierd tag teams, who were the dudes that debuted on Nitro in either 99 or 00 and squashed some guys. They wore pantyhose on thier head and looked like they came straight outta WWF War Zone for the PS1.

6) When was the Bret Hart angle when he knocked out Goldberg and took him to the desert and kept asking him if "he liked to end careers"?

7) So the BATB00 shoot was suppossed to cause a brand extension? So was JJ laying down for hogan a work and then russo took the comments too far. Cuz in Hogan's book he tells a different story.

thanks in advance

1) Indeed there was. It was lightly acknowledged on Thunder. From another site: "I just don’t see why some of these younger superstars with LOSING RECORDS deem it neccisary to showbaot and totally turn their backs on their opponents to get noticed by the crowd."

3) Don't know if you nailed the specifics, but yes.

4) There's part of me that hopes he was joking, but I'm relatively sure he wasn't. It was Babar The Elephant Boy, though.

5) Wow. You've stumped me. I should know this.

6) End of August into September. It lasted very briefly, as Bret's last appearance in WCW was an interview that setup Scott Steiner beating Goldberg down if I remember correctly.

7) No way was a brand extension going to happen. JJ laying down for Hogan was a work. Everything that happened after that wasn't.

Someone said Mike Modest pinned The Artist in a match when he was Cruiser champ. Was the match non-title? Or was modest ever considered champ?

Also i seem to remeber Regal on WCW Sat. Night with the TV. Was the TV title exclusive to Sat. Night for a period of time? Where there any title changes or matches?

Man, re-reading this thread, it's pretty obvious just how little good WCW actually did in its existence, especially after 1997. Most of it was crap, with a good match here and there. They deserved to go out of business. I'm surprised no one has murdered Bischoff and Russo over their incompetence.

I remember back in '99 when WCW was starting to get really crappy, I went on a message board (don't remember the name, but it was a predecessor to this one) and said that we needed to start punishing WCW for their crappy booking. I wanted people to boycott the shows. I also hated Hogan, and wanted people to chant stuff at him like "fuck you Hogan" and stuff. But everyone on the board said "oh, WCW isn't _that_ bad. They have the cruiserweight matches!" Like the cruiserweights were going to carry the company, or that one or two decent matches on Nitro made up for all the terrible storylines.

Then Meltzer said Russo's booking was "retarded" and people got mad at him, saying that Russo was at least being original. What the hell was wrong with people???

It just pisses me off looking back now how some people didn't get how shitty the company was.

. Johnny B. Badd pinned Richard Morton at 3:20 with a roll-through of Morton's flying bodypress.

7. Vinnie Vegas pinned Thomas Rich in 56 seconds with the "Snake Eyes" (jaw-first overhead drop into the top turnbuckle

WHY are heels facing heels at the Jan Clash of Champs??? (92)

Badd was actually a babyface by then, as the split from Teddy Long happened just after the 11/91 Clash.

As for Vegas-Rich, either they wanted Nash to be a face or they couldn't find anyone else to job for him.

Some interesting/funny stuff from Meltzer on the WC board:

Original post: "What was the deal with Hogan burning the sheets at the opening of the first World War 3 pay per view in 1995? Who wrote it and what did it say that made him so mad?"

Meltzer's reply: "Brian Pillman called me up from the show the moment after it happened and we couldn't stop laughing about it.

He said how the dirtsheet said The Giant would win the Battle Royal and it wasn't going to happen. Two weeks earlier in the Observer, it said Giant would win because that was the plan. The problem was, when they changed it to Savage winning, we had that in the week of the show.

He said Savage had been working the boys about a torn tricep and he was fine. The funny thing was one arm at the time was half the size of the other, and the injury was legit, but he was working on it. Pillman called saying Hogan & Sting (it was Hogan's idea but Sting was with him on it) had lost their mind because Savage was going to lose to an armbar on the arm half the size of the other and Hogan killed the match storyline of his selling the arm. Plus,he told everyone Show wasn't winning.

He said, "Observe this" and through it in a fire."

Someone said Mike Modest pinned The Artist in a match when he was Cruiser champ. Was the match non-title? Or was modest ever considered champ?

The Artist was the cruiserweight champ, and it was non-title. Modest was supposedly having his first WCW match.

Also i seem to remeber Regal on WCW Sat. Night with the TV. Was the TV title exclusive to Sat. Night for a period of time? Where there any title changes or matches?

From what I remember, he challenged Duggan to a match for it in 2000 right after Duggan pulled it out of the trash, and then like a couple weeks later he was in the WWF. That's probably wrong, but I remember this happening.

Was the TV title exclusive to Sat. Night for a period of time? Where there any title changes or matches?

Yes, it was from Feb-April 2000. Saturday Night was booked by Jimmy Hart at this time and was pretty much allowed to do its own thing independent of Nitro storylines. Ergo, they decided to give the show its own title in the form of the just-killed-off TV Title. As you'll see below, the title was defended a few times at house shows as well.

Having written the complete WCW TV Title match history, I can say with some authority what all the WCW TV Title matches of that time were. The two-a-day defenses were at Saturday Night tapings.

Jim Duggan

*Declares himself champion on 2/16/00 in Bethlehem, PA.

W-P Robert Gibson 16/02/2000 Bethlehem, PA

W-P Lord Steven Regal 16/02/2000 Bethlehem, PA

W-P Fidel Sierra 01/03/2000 Bismarck, ND

W-P Frankie Lancaster 01/03/2000 Bismarck, ND

W-P Brian Knobs 10/03/2000 Birmingham, England

*Hardcore rules match.

W-P Fit Finlay 11/03/2000 London, England

W-P Fit Finlay 12/03/2000 Manchester, England

W-P Fit Finlay 30/03/2000 Baltimore, MD

W-P Fit Finlay 31/03/2000 Pittsburgh, PA

*Declared vacant by WCW executives Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo on 10/04/2000 in Denver, CO.

Thanks for the TV title info. I just wanted to make sure my history was correct. I thought there may have been some switches when the title was SAT night exclusive, but i guess not.

Guest netslob
3.  Ron Simmons & Abdullah The Butcher defeated Cactus Jack & Mr. Hughes.

Abby was IN WCW?????

3.  Ron Simmons & Abdullah The Butcher defeated Cactus Jack & Mr. Hughes.

Abby was IN WCW?????

Yea, and infact if he hadnt been, Id never would have seen him. The first time I knew of him he was in WCW.

He came in to tag with cactus agaisnt sting and multiple partners of stings choice. Abby and cactus seemed to have broken up around superbrawl 2, but after Ron beat cactus at superbrawl, abby came out and attacked....RON? The Junkyard Dog who was in the audience, made the save.

Guest netslob

actually, i did know that. it always just amazed me that he was ever in WCW. i mean, hell, his schtick wasn't exactly what one would expect in such a "family-friendly" company. this is the same company that wouldn't let the announcers say "FOREIGN objects", but hired an obese black man to stab people with forks and bleed like a fountain. i just don't know...