TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Sable was going to begin appearing on WCW TV, but her deal fell through when Mero wouldn't go along with Bischoff's wife-swapping activites.

Acutally she did appear on WCW. It was during her lawsuit with the WWF and she was seating in the front row on Nitro. Eric (I think) made a comment about her but, he didn't say her name.

Teddy Long managed Sid Vicious and Dan Spivey when they teamed as the Skyscrapers circa 1989. If I recall, Spivey then left the team (later to be Waylon Mercy in the WWF) and Mean Mark was brought in. Not too long after that, Mean Mark left WCW and went to the WWF as the Undertaker.

Actually Sid got injured, so Mark was brought in as a replacement. Then Spivey left and was replaced by a masked Mike Enos. Then the team was disbanded and Mark was sold to Paul E., while Sid returned to action as a horseman.

So I'm looking at picking up a full season on DVD of old WCW Nitro episodes, either from 1996, 1997, or 1998. I know each year has plenty of stupidty and bad matches, but I know there's a ton of great stuff in there too. Which season would be best to get from an overall standpoint of good angles, great matches, and so on?

I know 1996 has the great nWo stuff and cruiser invasion, but the first part of the year still has stupid Dungeon of Doom crap.

I know 1997 is where the nWo stuff really took off, but how are the matches?

1998 I really have no clue about.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I'd say 1996 is the way to go. If you already own BATB from that year, you have a very historic year of wrestling in your hands.

Personally, though, I'd love to get the 2000 season set for the unintentional comedy.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I just watched Starcade 96 and GA Bash 98. Eddy's matches get shit on by the crowd both times. "Boring" and "DDP!" got chaneted in 96 and in 98 it was "boring" and "We want Flair"

Funny thing: Prior to Hogan/Bret vs Savage/Piper the crack camera crew scans in on a sign that lists those 4 and under it it says "Welcome to Jurassic Park" and the sign gets displayed for like 10 seconds....

I just watched Starcade 96 and GA Bash 98. Eddy's matches get shit on by the crowd both times. "Boring" and "DDP!" got chaneted in 96...

Well, the DDP chants might be because his opponent was DDP. Not to mention Page was at least a tweener after turning down the NWO and would become a full fledged face after the match.

The Nitros in the first half of 1996 aren't that bad. Bear in mind before the NWO stuff took off there was also the awesome Flair/Savage feud. It was that stuff, not the NWO, that really revived WCW's business. Certainly in terms of house shows anyway.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I just watched the clipped version of Superbrawl 2

Terry Taylor cuts a promo for his match with bagwell...but they don't show the match

God Bless WCW!

I went to a WCW Houseshow in 96'.

All the big names were the, the entire nWo, and all thguys against them, Flair...

And the opening match was Terry Fuckin' Taylor vs. Some Dude.

After a few seconds chants of "Rooster Rooster!" Rand through the areana, and at fist you could tell it was really bugging him bad.

The match awas still fantastic though. I want to say that Some Dude was Kanyon, who I don't think awas Mortis yet.

Anyway, half way through the match, Terry's in the dreaded.....I don't remember, but it was one of them fucked up moves Kanyon would debut each week.

But erry's arm drops..ONE!

TWO!!

THRE--OH MY GOD, HE GOT 'EM... NO HE DIDN'T.

And the crowd goes nuts for Taylor.

He starts hamming it uop with us, doing that Rooster strunt thingy, and finished the match as a mix of WWF Red Rooster/NWA Terry Taylor.

It's one one of my top 5 matches I've seen live, and I really have seen some fucking good shit.

Anyway, yeah Terry Taylor is one of my favorite wrestlers from on match at one house show, and if WCW would have taken that accidental story tat was made there, Taylor could have been a nice adition to the uppercard for a minute.

Sting allegedly had a secret affair with Scott Steiner while on the road in the early 90's that went sour. This led to the Steiners leaving for ther WWF.

What :huh:

I also doubt that these two had an affiar. Also, I pray that it never did.

I heard this too. Isn't that where the line 'I'm the Stinger and I'm gonna sting ya!' came from?

Harlem Heat 2000 was Stevie Ray and the former Ahmed Johnson (Big T) - They were managed by the former Clarence Mason known as J.Biggs. However reading some old WCW results - they also had a member called Cash - who was he?

Also around this time Ernest Miller "The Cat" was hanging aroung with a Mr Jones - Who was he - any pictures or feuds that he was involved in.

Thank You

Also around this time Ernest Miller "The Cat" was hanging aroung with a Mr Jones - Who was he - any pictures or feuds that he was involved in.

Thank You

The cat actually hung out with Ms. Jones, who was in a Stacy Keibler situation. She came in as a Nitro Girl and then they gave her a role with the Cat similar to Jillian Hall to JBL, only she was on the mic a bit more and a bit more involved.

6c_1_b.JPG

Cash (first went by the infinitely better name 'Cassius') was the large black guy that used to hang out with the No Limit Soldiers. Not Swoll, but the other bigger one.

I'm kind of surprised WWE never picked up Ms. Jones as a diva or something. I seem to remember her being half decent on the mic.

Neither do I. My knowlege of WCW gets pretty hazy after '99. That sounds like a storyline Russo booked where it happened on an episode of Thunder, and was forgotten by that Monday.

It was actually post-Russo and took place leading up to Greed. I don't remember exactly what happened but I do know Kanyon attempted to attack Jones in the hospital. Not sure if he was tryin to kill her though.

April 12 2000 edition of thunder with Sting vs 3 villanos and JJ ended up being one of them. Did WCW fuck up and show the "replay" of Jarrett unmasking before the match even took place? I just watched a mpg of this and I was wondering if thats the way it aired.

Also Fall Brawl 2000, Goldberg vs Scott Steiner, Scott was wearing a protective mask, was that a legit injury? i dont remember.