TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

What was the plan for Wrestlemania XX if Angle couldn't make it? I know they almost had him drop the title to Brock on Smackdown! a few weeks before, until Angle decided he'd wrestle and so they did a bait and switch with Eric Angle. I remember hearing rumors of Cena/Brock at the time, anyone have any idea?

The plan that I heard was for Brock to win the title off Angle on SD (the episode where Angle retained instead by using his brother Eric as bait and switch ala SSeries 2000) and defend it against Benoit, who would turn heel.

Guys, I think Kotz was joking.

Spanks, Bob.

I was reading an older thread in here about Lesnar, and I started thinking about what lead to him leaving, which lead to remembering that HARDCORE HOLLY was given a title shot out of the blue at one of the big PPVs.

I was greatly amused to read in an old PWI from March 88 that Sam Houston and Danny Davis got to take their opening bout fued to new heights by meeting in a cage match main event. Houston had Savage and Strike Force as partners while Davis had the harts and Honky.

WWF @ Toledo, OH - Sports Arena - March 4, 1988

Dino Bravo defeated Ken Patera

Demolition defeated Jacques & Raymond Rougeau

WWF Women's Tag Team Champion Itsuke Yamazaki defeated Judy Martin

WWF Women's Tag Team Champion Noriyo Tateno defeated Leilani Kai

Jake Roberts defeated Ron Bass via disqualification

The Ultimate Warrior pinned King Harley Race

Randy Savage, Sam Houston, WWF Tag Team Champions Rick Martel & Tito Santana defeated WWF IC Champion the Honkytonk Man, Danny Davis, Bret Hart, & Jim Neidhart in a steel cage match

Re: Mind Games 1996.

I heard that Vince changed the finish to the match after the table bump (he takes off his headset and talks to Earl and Shawn). What was the original finish and why was it changed so close to the end?

I didn't mind Holly having a feud with Brock, since it made sense in terms of the injury. I also think if a guy injures another worker, they should have to put them over in some way when the injured wrestler returns. However, it really didn't make sense to have Holly be in the title match at the Royal Rumble.

I heard that Vince changed the finish to the match after the table bump (he takes off his headset and talks to Earl and Shawn). What was the original finish and why was it changed so close to the end?

Where did you hear this bit of 'news' from?

Where did you hear this bit of 'news' from?

That was a debunked Scott Keith rumor.

I didn't mind Holly having a feud with Brock, since it made sense in terms of the injury. I also think if a guy injures another worker, they should have to put them over in some way when the injured wrestler returns. However, it really didn't make sense to have Holly be in the title match at the Royal Rumble.

That's flawed logic.

Plus, Holly's injury was his on fault.

So what was going on with Vince talking to Hebner midmatch? Was he just giving the signal to go hom early?

Okay, myth on the finish nonsense. But yeah, I'd like to know why Vince actually gets out of the announce booth and talks to Earl and Shawn. Obviously in kayfabe they played it up like Vince was checking on them after the bump.

Guest sebbeh65

Regarding Holly vs. Brock: The Royal Rumble sells because of the Rumble Match, so it doesn't matter which matches they have otherwise, the important thing is the Rumble. So why book a strong main event in - say - Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg (just an example) when that match can be booked and draw money at Wrestlemania?

But I agree, the Holly/Brock match was boring. I just try to think like Vincent K. :D

A few questions:

1. Who was booked to win the Blue Blazer vs Godfather match at Over the edge 99? What were they going to do with Owen afterwards?

2. How many times has trish stratus won the Women's title? I want to say at least 5 times.

3. Who's idea was it to reform the Hart Foundation? I'm guessing Bret Hart after being booed during before the Austin Fued.

4. I know before Brian pillman died, their were plans to have Marlena turn on goldust and join Brian. Any plans after that?

This is a great post. Good stuff guys.

1. I believe Blue Blazer was booked to win the match and the title.

2. Six times (the most ever).

3. ?

4. Aside from the obvious blowoff at Survivor Series, I don't know.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

From the WON website: Sept. 5 1986 : Rumors are Terry Funk to dethrone Hogan as WWF champ to allow surgery

From the WON website: Sept. 5 1986 : Rumors are Terry Funk to dethrone Hogan as WWF champ to allow surgery

As weird and cool as that would've been, probably best it didn't happen for WWF in the long run.

Guest Vishnu

Howdy.

My first post here, so I'm excited. I just stumbled across the site and have been enjoying this particular thread.

Anyway, I've always wondered what the deal was with the Warrior/Goldust match from that '96 IYH PPV (I believe it was "Good Friends, Better Enemies")?

Anybody know if there was any particular reason why what happened was booked? I mean... was it that important to the parties involved to do "THAT" instead of you know, having the typical Warrior match?

Always wondered about that little piece of history.

Goldust was injured and couldn't actually wrestle a match - even a Warrior Squash match as it would have aggrevated the injury

Plus there was no point in putting the IC title on Warrior at this point.

As to WHY it happened at all then - lord knows.

As weird and cool as that would've been, probably best it didn't happen for WWF in the long run.

The rematch probably would have drawn a hell of a lot more money at WrestleMania 2 than Hogan-Bundy did.

This may have been mentioned before, I read the other day the early plans for the UPN show that turned out to be smackdown was all divas/women wrestling.

Was there ever any explanation behind British Bulldogs promo at Royal Rumble 1997? "Tonight, I'm goin to win the Royal Rumble because I'm BIZARRE!" wtf was that all about?

Guest Super Leather

Let's talk about the Tonga Kid for a second, and the fact that there were two of them.

I've been watching the old Roddy Piper's Greatest Hits video, and apparently there was an angle in which Piper broke Snuka's neck. This prompted his cousin, the Tonga Kid, to make an appearance on Piper's Pit. The original Tonga Kid was the guy that later was in the Samoan SWAT Team as Samu...but when it gets down to actual matches, he's been replaced by the future Tama of the Islanders. Quite a big difference between the two, and at least on the video, it was never explained. Anyone know why there were two Tonga Kids, and why it was never explained?

This is probably an obvious one, but if so, the answer slips my mind.

What happened to The New Foundation and specifically The Anvil in 1992? He and Owen won the opener at the Rumble and got a great reaction throughout, yet I can't remember them ever doing anything else together until 94. Next thing, Owen had Koko as his partner, with the same attire the New Foundation wore. So, what happened?

Also, how far in advance was Backlund's 94 title reign planned? It always seemed like a reaction to the similiar story that was going on in the boxing world, which again slips my mind.

Anvil left the WWF in 92 and went to WCW for a very short and forgettable stint. he used the Million $ Dream as a finisher (Anvilizer - which is 10 kinds of lame for a name) and had a few squash matches, mid-level matches at best.

I don't know if there was a specific reason for him leaving or if his contract was just up and the WWE had nothing in mind for him.

I guess he did indies after that until returning at KOTR to turn on Bret and help Owen win the crown.