TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

putting to bed one of the most freakish frankenstein rock groups of all-time. wow. they were awful. one of the worst ever. but they did show me how to live.

After their debut album, it was all downhill.

putting to bed one of the most freakish frankenstein rock groups of all-time. wow. they were awful. one of the worst ever. but they did show me how to live.

After their debut album, it was all downhill.

i'm sorry. it was a ridiculous upon their inception. just a horrible combination. in fact anything with that weasal cornell is a bad idea.

That first song they released, "Cochise", I believe, was alright. It actually tricked me into going out and buying their CD. After buying it, I promptly regretted it. It was almost like they wanted to fool people into thinking they were a rock band, when in all actuality Chris Cornell just wanted a backing band for his ballads.

Sweet. Maybe I'll see ya there. I got tickets to see Brooks and Dunn on the 17th and am currently working on ZZ Top tickets for the 18th. I don't care what nobody says, the rodeo is awesome.

I know a lot of people here like FutureSex/LoveSounds

I've haven't ever been able to get Justin Timberlake's music and still don't, but he has had one song on each of his albums that I'm absolutely addicted to.

On his first album it was "Rock Your Body" and on the new one I just realized it's "What Goes Around.."

I'm listening to Jeff Tweedy solo acoustic show I just dl'd and I'm loving it. Making work not so terrible.

I'm going to Wilco on the 21st of April (or some date thereabouts). Can anyone else vouch their studio awesomeness is carried over to a great live show?

I'm going to see Maximo Park on the 23rd of April. I've only heard that one song, Apply Some Preasure. Art Brut are supporting though I love them, I couldn't miss them, especially as the gig is in Cardiff.

I'm listening to Jeff Tweedy solo acoustic show I just dl'd and I'm loving it. Making work not so terrible.

I'm going to Wilco on the 21st of April (or some date thereabouts). Can anyone else vouch their studio awesomeness is carried over to a great live show?

Yes. And if you need a little primer, you should pick up their Kicking Television double live album.

I've been to two Wilco concerts, one in Houston and one at Austin City Limits. At the one in Houston, Jeff Tweedy had just quit smoking, so he was a dick to the crowd the whole nite. At ACL, however, he was quite jubilant. Both concerts were amazing. The level of musicality that they bring to a live setting is just amazing. They might be the 'tightest' sounding live band I've ever heard. And the live rendition of "Via Chicago" blows shit outta the water.

The best part of it was they had this frat guy in the front row that was just...shitfaced drunk and through the whole set he kept screaming out "Play "Dreamer in My Dreams"!!!!! Play "Dreamer in My Dreams!!!!!"". In the middle of their last song "Reservations", during the quiet part, he was just screaming for "Dreamer in My Dreams", and Jeff Tweedy just like...stopped the whole band and got right up in dude's face and said, "I heard you the first time! "Dreamer in My Dreams!" "Duely fuckin' noted!" "Now shut the fuck up before I fuckin' kick your ass." or something like that. Then they picked "Reservations" back up like they hadn't missed a note. That concert was like...a month after Jeff had gone into rehab for his painkiller addiction (and had to cancel their show in Austin I was gonna go to), so I imagine he was in a surly mood. His surliness was nothing compared to Stephen Merritt's surliness. Stephen Merritt was just a total dick at the Magnetic Fields' show. He has a Napoleon Complex or something.

One thing I like about Wilco live is that they go back to more of the organic composition of the songs, instead of deconstructing them like they do on the albums. It makes seeing them live a completely different experience from putting on an album (if that makes sense). I hate when bands just play and sound like their albums live.

I just found out today that Ok Go and the All American Rejects are playing at my school on April 22nd.

This actually made me excited. Who's surprised?

Add that to The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, and the Format at Ithaca College and it's been a good year for Mik's Picks in the Ithaca, NY area, no?

The beards of Mastodon own all other fashion statements. Especially the beard + mullethawk.

I can't think of any tours this year I'm too excited about. Sounds of the Underground's bill hasn't been made/released yet...OzzFest will suck, as always, though it'll be interesting to see who the "old school" band on the main stage will be (I'm hoping for a White Zombie reunion, but that'll never happen since J and Sean hate Rob). Uhhh...yeah. Misfits gotta tour sometime this year, Municipal Waste/The Haunted are in Europe for most of the year (the fuckers), Slayer already came around and left (and left me with a fat lip and a BAD bangover)...yeah. Unless Billy, Charlie, Scott, and Dan put their differences aside to make some money and do another S.O.D. reunion tour (it's been fucking 7 years already), I have no idea.

Here's the lineup for Sasquatch at the Gorge, Memorial Day weekend (no, Corey Lazarus, this doesnt pertain to you)

Saturday, May 26:

Bjork

The Arcade Fire

Manu Chao Radio Bemba Sound System

M.I.A.

Citizen Cope

Neko Case

The Hold Steady

Grizzly Bear

Ghostland Observatory

Electrelane

Two Gallants

The Slip

Loney, Dear

Aqueduct

The Thermals

Viva Voce

The Blow

Gabriel Teodros

Sunday, May 27:

Beastie Boys

Interpol

Michael Franti & Spearhead

Spoon

Bad Brains

Ozomatli

Dandy Warhols

The Black Angels

Mirah

Tokyo Police Club

Money Mark

St. Vincent

Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter

Smoosh

Common Market

Helio Sequence

Minus The Bear

One of the times I saw Wilco, Tweedy was being a little cranky, too. He threatened to extend the noiser feedback jams of certain songs, telling chattier members of the audience that they'd (Wilco) "make you wish you brought some fucking earplugs."

Must've been the same tour.