TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

I've seen the Roots live too. They were okay, but had no real rhythm to their show. Set list was very poorly arranged and they had some weird "jam sessions" going on. They're a good hip-hop backing band, but that doesn't make them a good live band overall when no one's talking. "You Got Me" was great, though.

One of those two times was at an MTV taping!

Anyway, in my experience, their live shows expose Black Thought. Granted, up until what I assume is recently (I haven't seen them since 2003), he had to handle both his and Malik's parts on stage. Rapping that much—especially with a less than perfect backing band (they can be a little sloppy)—isn't easy, but that doesn't mean he should get a pass just for trying.

As I file the new Arcade Fire album closer and closer to mediocrity, I think I'm coming around on the new Bloc Party album. Kele Okererekekereke's vocals are annoyingly wispy and twee a little too often, but the music itself has me coming back repeatedly. This, despite the fact that I think a few of the tracks sound like Postal Service b-sides at first. "Waiting for the 7.18," for example, comes close to driving me nuts, but then they get the wall o' guitars just right. Good show.

I like "Hunting for Witches," but that's about it. The keyboard-heavy instrumentation on the new one doesn't suit them well; of course, I didn't think the more guitar-heavy approach on the debut did great things from them, either, but hey, that one, for all its faults, had hooks. Not so much this one.

I feel the same way about the new Bloc Party. I filed it away in my head as an album I don't like but everytime one of the songs comes up randomly on my iPod I find myself getting into it subconsciously. I don't know.

Maroon 5 has a new album coming out mid-May. I first heard of Maroon 5 for the first time on this board in 2002 (!) and really, REALLY enjoyed This Love and She Will Be Loved. Well, those ended up being the 2nd and 3rd singles on the CD and the songs that catapulted them to megastardom amongst teenage girls.

So yeah... I'm torn. I mean - I can see where people are annoyed by Maroon 5 but I liked them very much before they were popular. But either way - these guys were on the road for FOUR YEARS promoting Songs About Jane. This better be a good album.

Speaking of 2007 in Indie, I really like the new !!!, Myth Takes. Never cared much for them before, so I guess I'll have to reinvestigate their previous output now.

!!! is great. by the two albums of theres i've heard. they're more of a background music band. but like a serious drunk as shit dancing like an asshole background music. its actually a nice blend of rock & house. which is sorta that "____" genre that took off a few years ago. that produced lots of garbage.

Pitchfork fest in Chicago will be July 13/14/15.

Fri- 15$

Sat or Sun - 25$

Sat & Sun - 25$

3 days - 45

Bands so far

girl talk

ken vandermark's powerhouse sound

cat power

clipse

grizzly bear

professor murder

jamie lidell

of montreal

iron & wine

Full lineup might be out on the morrow.

Guest Eagle Man

Shit, there's a Professor Murder? Outta sight. I'm not impressed by that lineup, to be honest. I wonder if the Flaming Lips will play at that farm in Twin Lakes again. I could've ridden my bike to go see the Flaming Lips.

I'm only interested in Iron & Wine off that list.

i dont think the Hedgpeth site is even up anymore. Did you go Czech?

Guest Eagle Man

No. I didn't get into the Lips till September. What a shame. ON MY BIKE! I can't imagine why an indie festival would fail in the Lake Geneva/Genoa City/Wilmot/Twin Lakes area. SAVE A HORSE RIDE A COWBOY.

I think Hedgpeth might have been held at the same locale as 'Country Thunder'

Hopefully it returns this summer but, yeah, Walworth County is a weird place for such a lineup.

Guest Eagle Man

It is at Country Thunder. For a while, there was both Country Thunder, AAAAAAAND--you guessed it--Country Lightning, which I think was held at the racetrack by my house. Country Lightning is long gone, and the racetrack is now gone as well, which means that finally I can have my windows open without the sweet sounds of cars driving in circles until 11 at night. Good selling point if the house goes on the market.

Back on !!!: got the new album, and like it a ton. I always enjoy their stuff ("Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard" was a ridiculous but extremely fun way to spend 10 minutes), but this is the first album of theirs that I think is really really really good. I don't think any of the songs on Myth Takes are too long/repetitive, which has been a significant flaw in some of their work till now, even if it is primarily dance music.

Been listening to that Deerhunter album, too. Very fuzzy, and I like fuzz. It has one claw in me right now, and I'm waiting to see if the rest of it sinks in with time.

Got my tickets to B.B. King in the mail today. $50 with $11 service charges. Yeesh! I think I can justify it by realizing he's probably going to die soon and I haven't seen him before.

I'll tell you this. Half of the show will be music, the other half will be stories throughout his career.

That's the kinda concert I'd like to go to, especially with someone like B.B. King. I imagine listening to him tell stories will be nearly as entertaining as hearing him play. I always enjoy when I go to see singer/songwriter types like Willie Nelson or Jeff Tweedy, etc. and they spend half the show playing and th other half talking and stuff.