TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

His live show is always worth going to, but I've never *loved* him on record. I still don't think it's justifiable to hate the guy, but I like where this board trend is going.

Agreed. His stuff on record is decent and from time to time, brilliant but he really shines live.

Songs for Silverman was pretty awful though.

I don't dislike Ben Folds. I don't like him either. He's hit or miss, I think. He does some good stuff and some bad stuff, some stuff I like and other stuff that I don't care for, some stuff that makes me feel warm and fuzzy and other stuff that makes me feel embarrassed to be listening to Ben Folds. Mainly, I just like giving Czech shit. Wusssssssssy!!!!!!!

Guest Eagle Man

We've probably been over this before, and I was probably the one who brought it up, but Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: the quintessential greatest-hits band?

Sounds about right.

Theyir show at Bonnaroo last year (presumably the same as everything else on their tour) sounded pretty much like a 2 disc hits compilation straight from the stereo. With the exception of Stevie Nicks' appearance for a handul of songs anyway.

I'm sure everyone knows at least a few of the hits.

Guest Eagle Man

I can't ask for more than Free Fallin', American Girl, The Waiting, You Got Lucky, Mary Jane's Last Dance, Refugee, Won't Back Down, I Need To Know, and Breakdown all in one place. I mean, I'm sure one or two of Tom's albums are really good, probably Wildflowers and Damn the Torpedoes, but with this trusty greatest hits compilation, I don't feel like I need anything else by Tom Petty. I want this to be it. I wonder who else I can say that about. The Cars?

I'm agreeing with the Petty choice. Not a big Eagles fan

But, judging by the record sales of the Eagles' two Greatest Hits releases (and the amount of familiarity many people have with many of their hit songs) it would appear rather obvious that there are plenty of people who would choose them as the 'quintessential greatest hits band'.

Guest Eagle Man

more like greatest shit band, ha ha, cuz they were really popular but they were shitty

I think I hate "Life in the Fast Lane" even more than "Hotel California." They're both so bad.

Guest Eagle Man

What about the Stones? I'd be happy with their greatest hits, but I've made it well known here that I'm not really that into them.

EDIT: No wait, I kinda want Between the Buttons.

Guest Eagle Man

Journey is like a step below greatest hits band, they're a "few MP3s in your miscellany folder" band. (I made up that designation just now, obviously.) Any Way You Want It, Don't Stop Believin', Worlds Apart, and you're set. Not even enough to flesh out a whole CD.

There's about 8-10 songs on their Greatest Hits that range from solid-to-great; the rest is definitely mediocre. (I'd rank them here, but it's been awhile since I've listened to it; I don't feel like sussing out the wheat outside of the few obvious ones.)

Guest Eagle Man

What good is an ELO compilation without "Fire On High," anyway? I checked Wikipedia, and of all their compilations (there are like five), I don't see it on there anywhere.

It's on the radio a lot, and turns up on TV here and there. (Not "Do Ya," though!) Probably a know-it-if-you-heard-it.

It'll always be known as the song they play on the AstroSphere at Funtown ( Ride at Maine's #1 theme park)....the song and the lasers are the only cool part of that ride though.