TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Hmm, my brother's going to UMass' SpringFest and its a triple bill with Ben Folds, Talib Kwali and OK Go with Mr. Belding himself, Dennis Haskins MCing the concert.

I'd go for Belding alone but alas my concert funds are short and Amherst is way too long of a fucking drive for a school night.

They announced the acts for my college's Slope Day, which is pretty much a last day of class drinking fest w/ a concert. It's TV on the Radio opening for T.I.. Could be worse.

2003 - Rusted Root and Fat Joe

2004 - Kanye and O.A.R. (the best one in my opinion)

2005 - Snoop Dogg

2006 - Talib Kweli and Ben Folds

I was hoping for something different but this will suffice.

TV on the Radio opening for T.I. is like 8 billion times better than any of those. Great combination. I need to see more rap live.

That's the best of the ones I've been to so far. They both put on good live shows.

I didn't include this upcoming one in the best debate because it hasn't happened yet.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty well-versed in Patton, and the only studio version of the song I know is the original. As far as I know, he more or less hates FNM anymore, so I'd doubt the existence of an underground take.

I saw TVOTR a couple nites ago. It was my 6th time seeing them live. I haven't listened to 'Return to Cookie Mountain' in a couple weeks (too much new music going on), but after seeing them in concert, I can't doubt that they are the best band in the world right now. Just an amazing show with so much non-rehearsed passion and energy. The opening act was really great, too. They were called the Noisettes and they're from England. Good three piece band with a chick singer/bass/guitar player who jumps around alot.

I love TVOTR, but I think I'd be hard-pressed to find any band I'd want to see that many times--certainly that many times in such a short timeframe (obviously only the last 4ish years for TVOTR). At some point I think I'd get worn out, or see a so-so show that would kind of disappoint me and drag them down.

You'd think they'd get old, but they really don't. I first saw them in Austin at the end of 2003 about. That was before they were the 'new thing'; only about 60 or 70 people there. The next time I saw them in Houston they were actually opening for that shitty electro-emo band The Faint. They only played for about 30 minutes, so we only stayed for about 30 minutes. Too many emo kids. Then, we saw them at this club in Houston right before 'Cookie Mountain' came out and, although the sound was awful, they were still wonderful. Then I saw them at Austin City Limits where they got a shitty timeslot (2:30-3:15 PM) and a criminally short set. I could've seen them in Austin later that nite, but I didn't, although the drummer did give the head nod. And then I saw them the other nite. The great thing about all the times I've seen them is that I've been able to watch them grow as musicians and performers as they grew in popularity. At the first show I saw them at, they had as much energy and pure love of playing with each other and for the audience that they had two days ago. I love their energy and their honesty and their conviction and the way that they're able to just connect with the audience in such a deep, meaningful way. And plus their songs are melodic and well-written enough that they can fiddle with the arrangments enough to keep the shows fresh. At the first show, the encore was a beatbox version of 'Ambulance'. At the last one, it was a 10 person, Afro-precussive jam of 'Let the Devil In'. Outside of them, there's nobody I'd want to see that many times, though.

Edit: Condescension is hawt!

I saw them open for the Pixies in 2004 and got the "Ambulance" encore, and saw them last October and got the "Let the Devil In" jam (which I actually thought was fairly underwhelming compared to the rest of the show, though still cool). I think I'd see them again once they put out another album.

I'd rather not. I choose not to alter my personality nor my enthusiasm to avoid lame ball-busting.

I didn't intend to strike a nerve. You can express your adoration for something without coming off like a fawning adolescent.

Or I can come off however I come off and not care what people on an internet wrestling message board think of my exuberance. I choose the latter. You didn't strike a nerve. It takes more to strike a nerve than 'ball-bustin'. Try some profanity next time or something.

You were an English major, right? Did you maintain a similar attitude for the papers you wrote for your classes? "Golly gosh, William Faulkner was certainly the best writer to come out of the South, if not the world entire!"

In spite of the shit I've given you, viva, I like you; I realize someone on an internet wrestling message board (omg is that what this is?!?!?!?) saying that means very little to you, but it's true. I'm sorry you've taken so seriously some ribbing that was meant in jest, but hey, if you're that sensitive to faceless criticism, I loathe to think how you made as far in your educational career as you did. Grow up.

Writing an analytical paper and writing about my enjoyment of a concert on a messageboard are two completely different beasts. If I'm writing a paper about, say, Gabriel Garcia Marquez (I use him as an example because I never actually wrote a Faulkner* paper), of course I'm not going to fawn over his use of description and Baroque fillagree; that's not what the assignment calls for. However, if I'm excited about a TV on the Radio concert and I wish to express my excitment to a group of people that share my enjoyment of TV on the Radio to varying degrees, I feel comfortable expressing that excitment in the manner that I did/do. When I'm talking about something as subjective and visceral as music, I'd rather write about how the music connected with me on an emotional level, and, if that means I come across looking like a 'fawning adolescent', it is what it is. I offer opinion and it's up to everyone else to judge.

And I never took offense to any of your faceless ribbing said in jest. I'm in my mid 20s, college educated, and I live in Texas-not under a rock. I know the difference between honest-to-goodness snarky comments and the joking kind. All of my retorts were meant to be taken in kind, I assure you. I'd never be offended by someone with such decent taste.

There, glad we got that settled. Now we can go back to making fun of Czech for liking Ben Folds.

*-By the by, I don't think I'd consider Faulkner to be 'the best writer to come out of the South, if not the world entire!' Depending on the day, I'd take Flannery O'Connor or Cormac McCarthy (whose The Road I've bumped up on my reading schedule based on your and Oprah's recommendation) over him probably.

Guest Eagle Man
There, glad we got that settled. Now we can go back to making fun of Czech for liking Ben Folds.

bring it, bitch

If you like Neil Young, I'd check out his live album from Massey Hall. Simply remarkable and possibly one of the best live albums I've ever heard. Its so weird to hear Old Man performed just on acoustic, and nothing else.

Hot Hot Heat have a song from their new album on their MySpace. I know this will delight Banky to great ends because I know how much he loves them.

I really like it.

Ben Folds rules.