TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

I saw Guster play a free show at the annual Springfest in college. They were lame. Other past luminaries of this event include Nickel Creek and Sister Hazel. Of course, the year I'm out of there they go and get Ben Folds, who I don't love, but is a massive step up.

Suckaaaa

I often get Guster and Gomez confused. I don't care enough to tell them apart, so don't bother trying to help.

Oddly enough, they were both mentioned in the latest issue of Rolling Stone as having really lame tracks on the new The Band tribute album *shrugs*

The tickets for the show had the highest convenience charges I've ever seen! Damn TicketBastard! $14 worth of charges per ticket! I paid less convenience charges when I bought U2 tickets in '05!

The setlists for this show better be unique and the special guests better be special.

Speaking of Ben Folds, he's one of the rumored special guests. I might be seeing him in March in Worcester or in May in Boston with The Boston Pops.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Edwin, what don't you like about Guster? They're not one of my favorite bands or anything, but Goldfly and Lost and Gone Forever are fairly enjoyable albums. I like listening to them on warm and sunny days.

Anybody wanna buy some vinyl? Anybody have a good idea how much vinyl is worth? I bid on an auction with a couple boxes of records and, after going through them, I've found a buncha Talking Heads LPs, a couple Residents, and a few Kraftwerk. I have little to no knowledge of how much any of it is worth, so does anybody have any idea (all of the records are in G to VG condition):

Talking Heads:

More Songs About Buildings and Food

Speaking in Tongues

Little Creatures

Fear of Music

Songs from "The Catherine Wheel" by David Byrnes

The Residents:

George and James

The Residents Commercial Album

Kraftwerk:

The Man Machine

Radio-Activity

Exceller8

Autobahn

Yeah, so those are the interesting records that I found. I have a shitpot more, mostly like...mid 80s New Wave (Oingo Boingo, Wall of Voodoo), etc. and a buncha movie soundtracks-most James Bond movies, a buncha Monty Python records, and a double Pink Floyd LP (Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets), and an original Pac-Man Fever LP.

Yeah, so that's most of what I acquired. Anybody know if it's worthless or not?

Edwin, what don't you like about Guster? They're not one of my favorite bands or anything, but Goldfly and Lost and Gone Forever are fairly enjoyable albums. I like listening to them on warm and sunny days.

I have never made the effort. I found them very boring when I saw them at said free concert, and they just seem generally inconsequential and incapable of holding my interest. The cotton candy I got that day was way better than the show.

Saw the Klaxons last nite in Belfast, really don't see what the fuss is about. Sounded like any other by the numbers Indie band really.

Had support from CSS, who played a really great set, and while their not the most groundbreaking band, they played with with so much energy and put on such a good show that you can overlook their faults.

New Young Pony Club were first on, like their songs but hadn't heard them live, so was worried they might not be all that live. They were really good however, played with a shit load of energy, and tried their best, even with a fairly dead crowd.

just re-listened to rage's debut album for the first time in 6 years. boy, its one fist pumping motherfucking party album. forget their faux revolutionary lyrics, this is a dance party bitches.

Live hiphop from Madison, Wisco last Thursday night.

It’s a motherfucking tour…TOO-ER…not a tore, not a towah…tour. This is the Midwest. Goddam.

The Feb First hiphop show at the Annex in Madison was to be co-headlined by P.O.S. of the Cities and Mac Lethal from Barbecue Land with support from some of the Doomtree crew and a few locals. All of that worked out right but, in a XmasMorning-esque surprise, SIMS showed up to replace an absent Cecil Otter. Fine by me. With SIMS taking the stage with Turbo Nemesis churning out the beats from his digital butter machine behind it was like déjà vu from the ‘Ruining My Life’ tour (Too-Er) last year…the only difference, for me, was this time it was locals from Ed Gein country in lieu of the Educated Consumers of B-more.

The local contingent consisted of El Guante (a Madison poet in the Saul Williams vein) & DJ Pain with an appearance from a Figurehead. They rocked a few songs & shared some power lyrics to get the growing crowd moving. Good people.

SIMS on next w/ Turbo. Fave emcees showing up out of the Nice Guy Eddie blue is the kind of thing worth the 8 dollar admission alone. P.O.S. made it out for a few minutes to grab hold of the second mic. Aside from the mad passionate energy sweat left onstage SIMS brings a flow singular to himself up to the microphone that, wrapped up with the Turbo Nemesis rope, forms songs shaking both brains & legs. The strongest track on his ‘Lights Out Paris’ disc is 15 Blocks (“Thank God for Doomtree/Thank God for Lazerbeak”). Inside that track is a lyric, simple & potent, that equals the original Minnesota Poet, Bobby Z…“My generation is the seeds of Vietnam…” Pure truth.

Mac Lethal up next. Mac seems to be enjoying a steady diet of Cutty Sark and KC barbeque of late, so much so that there hasn’t been time to visit the local barbershop, and now has an appearance weirdo enough to match his music. He explained to the audience that Vh-1 called him to join up the White Rapper Show where he could win 100 grand, the chance to bask in the glow of a real life big time record exec, and a gift certificate to Appleebees. Woah-uh! The hilariously brutal dis flow followed. Somewhere during the set the record machine pooped out & Mac Lethal took the opportunity to rant about his Midwest roots patriotism and fighting terror by watching Fox Newz. After about 45 minutes my arm & neck knew they’d be sore on the morrow. “Throw your souls up.”

We didn’t stick around for much of P.O.S.’ set as we had more than two hours of snowy road in front of us. Turned out, halfway between the Cesspool & Readstown the road almost won, but not this time you bastard. Fuck you road. US Highway 14 probably calls it a ‘too-wah’.

Guest Oedipus Rex

So I've been hearing some cool little snippet of music on an MTVU station ID when I eat lunch. It has a celesta playing, and the only lyric seems to be "I pick up the phone, to talk to you about places I've been" and the singer sounds sort of like Emily Haines. Maybe it is, but a litany of searches has brought up nothing.

I have the weirdest neighbors evor. They're asian, and they listen to, exclusively, Pakistani music, and Gospel. More power to 'em. I'll take it over the nosyass neighbor upstairs.

*Knock on the dour*

Wha?

*(Condescending southern accent) It sounds like yall's burning something.*

It smells like curry. They're cooking curry across the hall.

*Well I just wanted y'all to know it smells like something's burning in here.

Am I the only one who finds the Police to be terribly overrated? I can't be the only one right? I think that they're fine, but I can't get excited at all over a Police reunion.

My dad will be happy when I tell them that Iggy and The Stooges are playing a mini U.S. tour.

Here's the dates if anybody's curious;

Sat 03/17/07 Austin, TX SxSW

Sat 04/07/07 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre

Mon 04/09/07 New York, NY United Palace

Wed 04/11/07 Philadelphia, PA Electric Factory

Fri 04/13/07 Detroit, MI Fox Theatre

Tue 04/17/07 Denver, CO Fillmore Auditorium

Thu 04/19/07 San Francisco, CA Warfield Theatre

Sat 04/21/07 San Francisco, CA Warfield Theatre

Fri 04/27/07 Seattle, WA Qwest Field & Event Center

Oh yea, The Police...are they the ones better than The Doors?

No.

So, I have finally listened to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and !!! for the first time, and I really enjoy both bands.

I'm listening to Antics for the first time in who knows how long. I'm on "Take You on a Cruise" right now, bored by everything I've heard thus far save "Evil." Whether I'm just not in the mood for this right now, or I no longer like it as I once did, remains to be seen. Truthfully, it'll end up being the latter.

Oh hey, "Slow Hands" is on. I still enjoy this song lots.

Man, The Clipse are coming to the local all ages club on March 31st. Tickets are $17 but I'm going to be flat broke due to me buying Guster and B. B. King tickets. Bah!

And who knows when the next time a relatively well known rap act will be coming to Maine?

They quickly grow on you through repeated listens. At first I despised them, then I borrowed the (then) girlfriend's IPod while I was at work one night and listened to As the Eternal Cowboy and got hooked.