TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

I like Exit Planet Dust, Dig Your Own Hole, and Surrender, while Come with Us has it's moments.

Underworld is much better though. Dubnobasswithmyheadman is one of my favorite albums of the 90's. Also, Meat beat Manifesto is great (he's supposed to have a new album out this year), and I love Fluke's Risotto album.

The only Crystal Method album I like is Vegas, though Tweekend has it's moments (and Name of the Game has such an awesome video.)

Tweekend is my favorite Crystal Method album actually. I love everything they put out, though. It's just so obvious.

I also really like Meat Beat Manifesto, he used my favorite sample ever (Thrill Kill Kult also used it, in "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan"), where the chick is saying "I live for drugs. It's great. I can't afford drugs, I would never buy drugs. My friends turn me on." I don't even know what movie that's from, but I love the shit out of the quote.

I also really like Bomb the Bass, who is basically just into sampling, but it's so awesome. Just really, really obvious, like Crystal Method, too. Using like "Kid DYN-O-MITE!" samples and shit. My favorite song of his is Megablast, which uses the bassline from the theme to "Assault on Precinct 13" For just outright sampling, I also love Cassette Boy, who are so illegal it's not funny. They did a great one about 9/11 using Rat Pack samples. They also have the classic track "Di and Dodi Do Die".

Let's see, I also love kid606, I've mentioned him here before. He can be sort of hard to get into, he's basically electronic grindcore, but he is capable of legitimately beautiful shit, for example the Soccer Girl EP. It's amazing. From his same label, there's Cex, who is halfway between digital and being a rapper. He can work a crowd, too, I've seen him be like "Give it up if you don't like torture! Yeah, throw ya hands in the air if you think motherhood is awesome!" His concept rap album Tall Dark and Handcuffed is great.

Kid 606 is pretty aweosme, especially Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You and The Soccergirl EP. He's also supposed to have anew album out this year.

If we're talking MBM, get Subliminal Sandwich, especially the 2-disc version. It's excellent.

Also, I recommend Venetian Snares.

do we want to put Junior Senior in the same grouping as the Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, etc.? I liken them more to 80s Pop/New Wave, not unlike Duran Duran.

The Go! team have a new album coming out.

Also, good to see B. Brian Brunzell has returned.

I'm not really a rap expert - probably the furthest thing from it.

But I really like Graduation... Kanye's new CD.

Nothing too irritating, except maybe the bonus track w/ John Mayer and most of it is a good listen.

Again - if you're looking for a good opinion on this I'm the last person to ask.

But it's leaked if you're looking for it.

Kanye is far from mature, but my first impressions of Graduation is a more sophisticated production style from West. Lyrically, he matches up with it on most tracks, although there are some clunkers in there. "Barry Bonds" may be the worst song to ever grace an official Kanye LP. It's low-grade mixtape junk. Ironically, Lil Wayne, who seems to release a new mixtape weekly, is featured on the song.

Perhaps the biggest difference between this and his previous two efforts is the absence of the insipid skits. I understand they were designed to reiterate a running theme with each album, but they were irritating after the first couple listens and really broke up the flow of the overall product.

It's tough to rationally grade such a hyped release this early, especially since it's still over a week from being "out." For now, this is looking like Kanye's best album and one of the best mainstream hip-hop offerings in some time.

I don't know who I hate more. Hatebreed or 3 Inches of Blood. They are both irritating.

Edit:

Actually 3 Inches of Blood could be a lot better if they got rid of the douche growl singer. I mean this band has a Judas Priest type sound, with a horrible second singer who should be axed.

I listen to a lot of neoclassical, but actual classical is... difficult. I listened to a lot of Beethoven when I first saw Clockwork Orange, though.

Amadeus made me love Mozart, and actually I probably do listen to more Mozart than any other composer. (I know the movie isn't very accurate).

I also like opera. I should go to one sometime.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Tweekend is my favorite Crystal Method album actually. I love everything they put out, though. It's just so obvious.

I also really like Meat Beat Manifesto, he used my favorite sample ever (Thrill Kill Kult also used it, in "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan"), where the chick is saying "I live for drugs. It's great. I can't afford drugs, I would never buy drugs. My friends turn me on." I don't even know what movie that's from, but I love the shit out of the quote.

I also really like Bomb the Bass, who is basically just into sampling, but it's so awesome. Just really, really obvious, like Crystal Method, too. Using like "Kid DYN-O-MITE!" samples and shit. My favorite song of his is Megablast, which uses the bassline from the theme to "Assault on Precinct 13" For just outright sampling, I also love Cassette Boy, who are so illegal it's not funny. They did a great one about 9/11 using Rat Pack samples. They also have the classic track "Di and Dodi Do Die".

Let's see, I also love kid606, I've mentioned him here before. He can be sort of hard to get into, he's basically electronic grindcore, but he is capable of legitimately beautiful shit, for example the Soccer Girl EP. It's amazing. From his same label, there's Cex, who is halfway between digital and being a rapper. He can work a crowd, too, I've seen him be like "Give it up if you don't like torture! Yeah, throw ya hands in the air if you think motherhood is awesome!" His concept rap album Tall Dark and Handcuffed is great.

Hey, did you ever check out 1000 Homo DJs? I can't remember if it was you I mentioned that to or not, though. I think it might've been during a short Ministry discussion.

I don't know who I hate more. Hatebreed or 3 Inches of Blood. They are both irritating.

Edit:

Actually 3 Inches of Blood could be a lot better if they got rid of the douche growl singer. I mean this band has a Judas Priest type sound, with a horrible second singer who should be axed.

3 Inches of Blood is pretty awful.

I've grown to like Hatebreed over the years, propably due to the fact that I've unintentionally wound up seeing them so many times.

I hate the band Paramore. I fucking hate them. Their album sounds like if evanescence and kelly klarkson had an unwanted lovechild. They are shitty. Mediocre guitars over pedantic lyrics, and even shittier drums.

Slug put out a new CD...Sad Clown, Bad Summer. Strange piano beats. Pretty interesting stuff, all in all.

Atmosphere is headlining a really good tour in support of that record...Mac Lethal, Grayskul, & Luckyiam (of Living Legends) on the bill. Gonna be awesome.

Guest shoryuken007

I just found out that two songs I thought were by Stevie Wonder aren't. Everlasting Love (originally by Love Affair, but I get down on the Smokey Robinson version) and More Today Than Yesterday (Spiral Starecase). Huh.

So is Andrew WK too busy taking acid and partying to bless my ears with more songs about acid and partying? For pure comedy values and getting wrecked off my face without leaving my office hair, he's awesome.

So is Andrew WK too busy taking acid and partying to bless my ears with more songs about acid and partying? For pure comedy values and getting wrecked off my face without leaving my office hair, he's awesome.

Think he's focusing on the motivational speaking now.

Neil Young will be releasing a new cd, Chrome II, next month. He will tour for 7 weeks on it.

I'm happy.

Edit-

October 18: Boise, ID (Morrison Center)

October 20: Spokane, WA (Opera House)

October 22: Portland, OR (Keller Theater)

October 23: Seattle, WA (WaMu Center)

October 30: Los Angeles, CA (Nokia Live)

November 5: Denver, CO (Wells Fargo Theatre)

November 8: Minneapolis, MO (Northrop Auditorium)

November 10: Detroit, MI (Fox Theater)

November 12: Chicago, IL (Chicago Theater)

November 13: Chicago, IL (Chicago Theater)

November 15: Washington, DC (Constitution Hall)

November 18: St. Louis, MO (Fox Theater)

November 26: Toronto, ON (Massey Hall)

November 27: Toronto, ON (Massey Hall)

December 2: Boston, MA (Orpheum Theatre)

December 3: Boston, MA (Orpheum Theatre)

December 5: Wallingford, CT (Oakdale Theater)

December 9: Philadelphia, PA (Tower Theater)

December 12: New York, NY (United Palace)

December 13: New York, NY (United Palace)