TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Saw the Bob Dylan/Elvis Costello show last night. It managed to be a pretty good show despite the main portion being the worst of the three Dylan concerts I've gone to (It still had its share of moments but the first half hour of the set was dullsville U.S.A.) and Elvis Costello playing for only 45 minutes. Costello deserves at least an hour.

Here's Dylan's setlist in case anyone's curious;

Portland, Maine

Cumberland County Civic Center

October 4, 2007

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Bob on electric guitar)

2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob on electric guitar)

3. Watching The River Flow (Bob on electric guitar)

4. Chimes Of Freedom (Bob on electric keyboard and harp)

5. Rollin' And Tumblin' (Bob on electric keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin)

6. Workingman's Blues #2 (Bob on electric keyboard)

7. Cry A While (Bob on electric keyboard, Donnie on banjo)

8. When The Deal Goes Down (Bob on electric keyboar and harp)

9. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on electric keyboard and harp)

10. Spirit On The Water (Bob on electric keyboard)

11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on electric keyboard)

12. Ain't Talkin' (Bob on electric keyboard)

13. Summer Days (Bob on electric keyboard)

14. Masters Of War (Bob on electric keyboard)

(encore)

15. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on electric keyboard)

16. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on electric keyboard)

Surprisingly the stuff from Modern Times were some of the best songs of the night. Workingman's Blues #2 and Ain't Talkin' in particular stood out.

The new Wu Tang song, 'Heart Gently Weeps' (you know the sample), is fuckin' nice.

I'll give it a listen...these guys have really dropped off, IMO. 36 Chambers will always be a classic album, Wu-Tang Forever was good but bloated like most double albums, but after that they hit the shits pretty hard to the point of being flat out boring.

I wish Send More Paramedics would've done one US tour before calling it quits in approximately 26 days. I think that, with enough word-of-mouth, they'd have at least gotten a solid following, roughly the size of Municipal Waste's if not a little bit smaller. Gimmicked to the fucking max, but they make up for it with solid thrash.

I've tried to DL their albums off torrents but there's never any seeders.

I'd seen albums by the band Tilly and the Wall in record stores, but never heard anything by them. One of my friends said "listen to this track!" last night, and I listened, and thought it sounded weird and not particularly good. I looked them up, and instead of using drums, the women in their band tapdance for percussion. There's video on youtube of them doing this shit on Letterman, standing on little tap boards and making like Riverdance. It's terrible. Terrible! They should go on tour with the Decemberists and call it the Ultimate Cute Gimmicky Terrible High School Drama Club Bullshit Tour. And I like the Decemberists!

All the Boxer talk in the AOTY thread got me listening to Alligator again and I like more of the songs on the album then I remember.

I remember thinking a lot of the songs were fantastic and there were some clunkers, but "Karen", "Lit Up", and "Friend of Mine" have snuck up on me as quality songs to go along with all of the ones I already really liked.

Boxer is good and it gets better with successive listens but I don't think it really holds a candle to Alligator.

Autonervous

That's just a band I've been listening to lately. San Franciscan/German female no wave vox/sax/electronic duo. Sounds like ambient Detroit Techno with jazz influences. Pretty good.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Not heard of T.I. ever. Moz's recent tour set seems to focus on his 90s stuff more, and is being billed as his last tour for a while, so it should be pretty special. Not seen him since last Xmas but at least 'National Front Disco' had already crept back into his set by then.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Seen anything involving Peter Steele lately? Interviews and shit, that is? Guy's fucked. He looks sixty, and acts all wounded because his sister called the cops on him because of his drug problem. Their last album has some reeeeeeeeallly awkward honest moments that totally fuck over the tongue-in-cheek sense of humor that makes them good.

I haven't seen anything recent. Not surised, though. I'm confidant I'll be entertained in some fashion, whether it be laughing-at or laughing-with, on Saturday.

After finally seeing "Stop Making Sense", a great film, I'm really getting into Talking Heads. I just think they're awesome.

Tom Tom Club are pretty good too.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Is he not totally ripped anymore then? Can't imagine that.

Pretty sure Pete's pushing fifty.

Nas has announced that the name of his next album will be Nigga.

Seriously? I guess thats one way to stir up the "controversy" to either sell more albums, or to blame if the album does not sell well.