TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

who exactly has had the most worthy remaster treatment? i don't follow these matters at all, so i have no answer. i'm just curious what people have to say.

I might go to the Govt Mule show in Madison next Thursday, depending on how much I spend on Xmas crap this weekend. I doubt it will dissapoint if I do go.

Go.

They are playing great right now. I just saw them in Philly and it was the best I've heard them sound (not my favorite show of theirs I've been to, but overall sound and playing it was the best). They tore through Cortez the Killer for about 20 minutes in the encore.

They are playing a lot of the new album at shows (which is appropriate I guess) so you might want to give it a few spins before going.

who exactly has had the most worthy remaster treatment? i don't follow these matters at all, so i have no answer. i'm just curious what people have to say.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I love the Dylan remasters. They sound fantastic, and the fact that they were all released at once was great.

I also like the Elvis Costello remasters that Rhino did, though the platooning of those kind of made it hard to maintain my interest in him. After I heard My Aim Is True and This Year's Model I wanted everything else from that period, but it only gradually became available.

Conversely, I don't like the remaster of Sam Cooke's Live at the Harlem Square Club as much as the original. One of my friends picked it up, and Cooke's voice and the band are pushed a little too much to the front, deemphasizing the crowd at a concert with one of the best, most perfectly participatory crowds ever.

It's just a bunch of stupid mash-ups. Why do I need to hear Penny Lane, Because, and Strawberry Fields Forever spliced into one big morass of psychedelic bastardy? I feel bad knowing that George Martin is associated with this sad excuse for a Beatles-related novelty. My mom almost bought this until she actually heard a sample.

I agree with this. There's maybe one or two songs worthwhile hearing in something other than their original form. Otherwise it's just a one hour random nostalgia trip. If you really want to enjoy the Beatles, buy the original albums.

But it gives people a chance to hear various Beatles' songs in a slightly different context! Yeah, I listened to it twice today and it was enjoyable enough, but probably nothing that'll be listened to anytime again.

I found a couple of the tracks on an MP3 blog. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" blows. Whoever was responsible just added some irritating noodling on the chorus, tweaked some of the bass plucking, and layered on some crap. Sound quality is better than ever and separation is much more pronounced, but whoever mixed this just made it too active and too consciously "psychedelic."

Then there's the mashup of "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," and "Helter Skelter." It's also stupid. It accents all the most overblown, climactic parts of the songs in question and sounds like it was done by a bored college kid in Garageband. The "different context" is one of sucking ass.

Guest Felonies!

The video for the U2/Green Day "The Saints Are Coming" cover is something rotten. First of all, the mere unification of washed-up U2 with the not-washed-up-enough Green Day was a bad idea. Second of all, the video itself is mock CNN coverage of Katrina, in which Bush heroically redeploys the troops from Iraq to New Orleans to help with the disaster. Planes fly overhead, boxes are dropped, the world is a better place.

BUT WAIT

At the end, there's a big red sign that says "AS NOT SEEN ON TV" in the style of Ronco products, tacked to a telephone pole. Now obviously, it's supposed to really make you stop and think, really comprehend that This Was The Way It Ought To Have Been. Even if the premise of the video was logistically possible and strategically viable, the whole thing is just hamfisted and dopey, and I wouldn't even want to sit around for The Big Moment at the end knowing that it entails hearing

THE SAINTS! ARE COMIIIIING! THE SAINTS! ARE COMIIIIING! SOME-THING-SAID-THAT-I-CAN'T-HEAR-BUT-IT-IS-JUST-STRAIGHT-QUAR-TER-NOTES THE SAINTS! ARE COMIIIIING! THE SAINTS! ARE COMIIIIING!

like three or four times at the end. I guess if proceeds are going toward the relief funds or whatever, good for them, but if Bono wanted to raise money for Katrina, he'd have been better off robbing a liquor store or two than collaborating with a trio of mascara-donning middle-agers.

(Alternative question to ponder during The Big Moment: "which nickname is dumber, The Edge or Tre Cool?")

Alternative question to ponder during The Big Moment: "which nickname is dumber, The Edge or Tre Cool?"

Tre Cool by an edge

Guest Felonies!
I fail to see how the premise of the video is bad.

Like I said, my gripe had more to do with the execution. I'm not entirely certain what the ramifications of this plan would be, but I have a feeling there's more to it than just uprooting the military from a warzone out of the blue and BANG problem solved, as the video suggested. Besides, trying to make a serious commentary on disaster mismanagement is hobbled by the fact that it's being done as a clip for this horrible song, and the director is about a year or so late to the party with "we sorta fucked this up."

I'd imagine the idea was that if we weren't in Iraq, the military could have been used to actually help America. I agree that bringing them all home to save the day would have been impossible. The point was probably that because Bush was focused on nonsense there was no possibility of actually helping the homefront at the time of real need.

They should have put the video behind an old U2 song. And not done it more than a year later. And not involved the new Kiss.

Spinal Tap. He's a fan of that movie, but who isn't?

Guest Felonies!

14 User(s) are browsing this forum (12 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

Que la fuck?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Dying Fetus-"Kill Your Mother, Rape Your Dog"

set to kids' shows:

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Don't know if I've posted this in the thread yet or not-

The incomparable Flo Mounier going batshit at a drum clinic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHUoullSXhc

That is insane. He moves his arms like lightning fashion.

That last bit where he attacks his cymbals is impressive, but the thing he does that gets me is how he gradually releases his grip on his left hand into a one-handed drum roll, speeding up his blast to match on everything else. That's technical as all hell. Guy plays like he has separate brains controlling each limb, working together.

Why does Anthony Kedis hate Mike Patton?

Still? Way back in the early 90s, I remember hearing about this. Patton, circa '89, did bear a resemblance to Kiedes, what with the hair, clothing and onstage antics, but that's where the comparisons ended, generally. Once the Patton-era, starting with The Real Thing, rolled in, Faith No More never sounded much like Red Hot Chili Peppers—something you couldn't say about its predecessor, Introduce Yourself—aside from maybe Patton's "rap" vocals sounding somewhat like Kiedes's. (Though, and this is very important, Mike Patton, unlike Anthony Kiedes, was never tone deaf. He could actually sing, as opposed to the latter's marble-mouthed warbling.)

Guys, I was a pretty big FNM fan back in the day. Sometimes I still put on Angel Dust for some dewy-eyed nostalgia.

As entertained as I was by the RHCP show last night (enough to pay good money to see them again in the future), Keidis really blows in the vocal department. Mike Patton? Doesn't blow.

Dying Fetus-"Kill Your Mother, Rape Your Dog"

set to kids' shows:

Ah, an oldie, but a goodie.