TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

I'm glad they didn't play that in Minneapolis.

It probably became a hit the same way Gwen Stefani songs do.

That reminds me. I hate that new Gwen Stefani song. It's our own fault, though. We made all of the weird pop songs from her first album big hits. This will probably be a hit too. If Fergie's London Bridges can be a hit this can too. This new song is stupid enough to be a Fergie song, actually. But I hate it, it's awful. Yodelling has no place in modern pop music. And enough with the Japanese girls dancing in your videos.

Whew. I feel better now.

Don't know if I've posted this in the thread yet or not-

The incomparable Flo Mounier going batshit at a drum clinic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHUoullSXhc

That is insane. He moves his arms like lightning fashion.

That last bit where he attacks his cymbals is impressive, but the thing he does that gets me is how he gradually releases his grip on his left hand into a one-handed drum roll, speeding up his blast to match on everything else. That's technical as all hell. Guy plays like he has separate brains controlling each limb, working together.

I love on the comments on youtube that there's no rhythm and its boring and not impressive. I found this much more enjoyable than most of Neal Peart drum solos and anything else. Its awe-shocking.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Dude's good. I saw a clip of him showing off someplace, blasting like nuts and running double bass like that, all while chewing gum and blowing bubbles. Hilarious.

I might go to the Govt Mule show in Madison next Thursday, depending on how much I spend on Xmas crap this weekend. I doubt it will dissapoint if I do go.

Go.

They are playing great right now. I just saw them in Philly and it was the best I've heard them sound (not my favorite show of theirs I've been to, but overall sound and playing it was the best). They tore through Cortez the Killer for about 20 minutes in the encore.

They are playing a lot of the new album at shows (which is appropriate I guess) so you might want to give it a few spins before going.

I went. It was awesome. I'll post a full review in the near future.

Warren Haynes is inarguably America's greatest musician of our generation, a man so cool that thru his veins flows not blood but Cutty Sark. A driving force guitarist & voice for the modern Dead and Allman Bros; on Thursday night, at the Barrymore in Madison, fronting his own powerful team of Southern blues rock masters Govt Mule.

Donovan Frankenreiter opened the show predictably entertainingly well. His music is often described as 'surf rock' because he enjoys the wave. Of course, as with most mindless labels stamped by the Rolling Stone magazines of the world, this one doesnt fit and Donovan sounds absolutely nothing like the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean.

Govt Mule took the stage about 9 and opened 'Blind Man in the Dark', their memorable track (from their huge performance) on the Bonnaroo 2004 dvd. The first set continued with jams for the ages, a scorched earth take on 'Dark Star, and then WOW! a neckwrenching rockage of Humble Pie's old classic '30 Days in the Hole' before taking their 20 minute break.

Set two saw a humble Warren pay emotional tribute to Otis Redding, whose plane plunged deep into Lake Monona in 1967 and whose soul plunged even deeper into the subconcious of all future music, with a cover of 'Ive Got Dreams to Remember'. I remember hoping that Mark David, the Wisco bluesman that carries the torches that fell into that Madison lake and crashed into that Alpine Valley hillside, had made it out to the show.

Warren's politics, a general disgust with the pathetic urchins that somehow find elective success, also permeated the show and reached a crescendo with a cover of Buffalo Springfield's still vital 'For What Its Worth' backed by audience choir. Matt Abts smashed his way thru an incredible 20 minute solo that would have stricken lesser drummers with heart attacks. The show boiled to a conclusion with Mule standards 'Thorazine Shuffle' and 'Soulshine'. Mesmerizing pure rock and roll music.

I've got dreams

Dreams, bad dreams

Dreams, rough dreams

To remember

Don't make me suffer

Dreams, bad dreams

Dreams, rough dreams

To remember

-Otis Redding

They covered Humble Pie and Otis Redding?

Wow, I really have to see them when they come around the Buffalo or Toronto area.

Semi- off topic but Humble Pie is a damn underrated blues rock band. "30 Days in The Hole" is a classic.

They covered Humble Pie and Otis Redding?

Wow, I really have to see them when they come around the Buffalo or Toronto area.

Semi- off topic but Humble Pie is a damn underrated blues rock band. "30 Days in The Hole" is a classic.

Agreed. Some of Peter Frampton best guitar work is with Humble Pie. If you want to get a great live album, get Humble Pie live at the Filmore.

Guest DaGoodz

Note to all rappers: you have 9 months to get your shit together. New video is up on YouTube right now where Dr. Dre says he's releasing "Detox" in September 07.

Note to all rappers: you have 9 months to get your shit together. New video is up on YouTube right now where Dr. Dre says he's releasing "Detox" in September 07.

I still don't think it'll ever come out.

So, Beach Boys are not 'surf rock' and Pearl Jam are?

...are you retarded? Who the hell said anything about Pearl Jam?

Well, if songs based on and about, and that permeate, surfing are NOT surf-rock (as you say above) that would leave the genre as being bands/artists that actually surf as being surf-rock. Eddie Vedder is an avid surfer, does that make PJ surf-rock?

"Beach Boys and Jan/Dean arent surf rock"...but Im retarded, brilliant show Coat & banky.

right. does anyone care about him anymore? he's associated himself & produced such awful artists that its hard to care. i think dre should r.i.p.

and snuffbox continues to amaze with his non-sensical rants about nothingness. surf rock is a style of music. its not pop songs about surfing or rock stars who surf.

Ooook. What are a few examples of surf-rock then?

Wiki lists Beach Boys and Jan/Dean but, obviously, that is inaccurate in this case so as to help banky/Coat's bullshit.

Wiki lists Beach Boys and Jan/Dean but, obviously, that is inaccurate in this case so as to help banky/Coat's bullshit.

Dick Dale maybe? I dunno.

Familiarize yourself with Dick Dale, the Ventures, the Tornadoes, and the Atlantics. Although I fully expect you to dismiss this post in your usual thick headed manner, the stylistics differences should be obvious even to someone as hell-bent on being right as you.

It's been a pleasure, and I look forward to reading your next laughably hyperbolic and poorly written concert review of a mediocre band.

Dale was the other one that came instantly but I left him out figuring few if any of the people that would read that review (in other places besides here) would know him. And maybe Duane Eddy, but that was the same situation.

Next time, I wont hold that gun to your head forcing you to read the review...or post in such a manner as to make you, the inadvertant reader, not know that he is reading about a band that he doesnt like.

wikipedia...the guide to life.

Guest DaGoodz

right. does anyone care about him anymore? he's associated himself & produced such awful artists that its hard to care. i think dre should r.i.p.

That's the same shit people said before Chronic 2001 came out.