TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Greatest openings to songs?

Guest theanswer1824

any song from radiohead always builds to a great climax: national anthem, motion picture soundtrack, no surprises, etc.

any radiohead fans here?

The Krist part at the beginning of "Territorial Pissings"

Gen Xers "pissing" all over the boomer hippie dreams. Beautiful.

The drum and swarm on "Born To Run".

The snare at the beginning of "Like a Rolling Stone"

Chuck D, Can't Truss It..."Here Come The Drums..."

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Another good metal intro is Cryptopsy's "Cold Hate, Warm Blood."

A clean bass and acoustic guitar breakdown that reaches critical mass almost as soon as it starts.

I've always loved the way Pink Floyd's Money starts.

Don't get me wrong, it's the worst track on Dark Side Of The Moon. But I think it really has a great introduction, with the sound effects and then the bass line kicking in.

I've always liked the intro to The Pogues' Fairytale of New York as well, with Shane McGowan crooning "It was Christmas Eve babe... In the drunk tank".

I also greatly enjoy the intro to Portishead's Wandering Star. I really like the way the drums enter into the song.

Also, the organ that leads off The Small Faces' Tin Soldier.

Agree wholeheartedly on the Pogues love. That's one of my favorite seasonal tunes, along with "Do they know it's Christmas".

I know it's overpayed, but nothing puts a hop in my step quite like the opening to "Welcome to the Jungle". At a sports event, that opening riff just sets me off.

Don't get me wrong, it's the worst track on Dark Side Of The Moon. But I think it really has a great introduction, with the sound effects and then the bass line kicking in.

Not that it's on DSotM, but it's criminal to name a Pink Floyd intro without mentioning One of These Days.

Not that it's on DSotM, but it's criminal to name a Pink Floyd intro without mentioning One of These Days.

I love the guitar solo in "Money", though.

Or "Astronomy Domine."

Stating Horses as the best album of 75 earlier today reminds me that "Gloria" has a pretty cool opening, to the song, and the song itself is a pretty good opening to the album.

Guest Anticrombie
"All along the watchtower" comes to mind immediatly.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Sadly, I wish I liked the rest of the song as much as the very first part of it.

Which one do you dislike, Dylan's version or Hendrix's version?

AC/DC- Thunderstuck, great opening riff by Angus...

Muddy Waters- Mannish Boy, Muddy picking on the guitar, singing the intro with Johnny Winter yelling in the background...good stuff.

Guest macheteofodin

Humanity's Folly by Brutal Truth

The build up is awesome.

I Feel Free by Cream

Bum Bum Bum BumBumBum. Very recognizable. I dig it. I could have gone with Sunshine of Your Love, but that's too easy.

Fortunate Son by CCR

Simple riff used effectively.

Call Upon Your Gods by Dark Lotus

Violent J's intro to the song adds to the sinisterness of the rest of it.

Electric Uncle Sam by Primus

Great build up to Les yelling "YEAHHHHHHHHH HEYYYY!"

Suicide's An Alternative by Suicidal Tendencies

Crazy laughing = over.

It was already mentioned but the beginning of Ye Entrancemperium gives me chills everytime I hear it.

I think that's the first positive thing I've ever read about ICP or any other Psychopathic artist on this board.

I think that's the first positive thing I've ever read about ICP or any other Psychopathic artist on this board.

Esham is one of my favorite rappers, although when he signed with Psychopathic it was a sad, sad day. I prefer to pretend that his career ended the day before he did that.

I do like Twiztid, except for those fucking clowns being all over their records. It's god damn frustrating.

well this would please Brian, but Faith No More Midlife Crisi has a groovy intro.

Also The Zoo by The Scorpions.

Yeah, "The Zoo" rocks. You know a Scorpions song that is really good that no one ever talks about? "Sails of Charon." I love that song.