TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Dead Like Me Cancelled?

From what I've read on that board, it's pretty much a done decision. "It cost too much" is the reason that was given. But, hey, they've "Fat Actress" (w/ Kirstey Alley) and some other show called "Weeds" (or something like that, about some woman needing to sell weed) to take it's place :rolleyes: To quote Tony Schiavone, "yeah, that'll put asses in the seats". DLM was getting good ratings, and I doubt these other shows will be able to make up for the loss of DLM viewers who will not watch out of spite. These other shows (Huff, Fat Actress, Weeds) are "in-house" developed programs, while DLM was not, so that's probably another factor in the decision.

The least they could have done was order 1 more season, tell them to wrap it up, and advertise the hell out of their other shows, since DLM seems to be the only "draw" for the network (aside from movies).

For what it's worth here's an online petition (yeah, yeah, they very rarely work, but what could it hurt to sign it?):

Online Petition

Maybe Sci Fi grabs up "Dead Like Me" if they can get their hands on it.

The last show they grabbed from SHOWTIME was STARGATE SG-1 and that has spawned a successful spin-off for them. And "Dead Like Me" has a loyal audience and critical acclaim to go with it.

I could see them finding a way to make it part of their Wednesday night line-up with Proof Positive and Ghost Hunters...possibly moving Scare Tactics to anchor a new night.

Preferably, I'd like to see HBO pick it up, but that probably won't happen. They'd have to clean up the language for it to air on Sci-Fi, and I can't imagine Mason or George without the swearing.

Season 2 finale:

-Supposedly the dead can be seen as their true selves on Halloween. Daisy is sceptical, but then an older guy recognizes her from when she was alive. Also, Roxy dresses up (as a princess), which prompts Daisy to get dressed up (as a cop).

-George & Mason stop by Happy Time (George needs her sneakers). Crystal is also there dressed as the Grim Reaper (hmm...), unbeknownst to G & M. Crystal may/may not have seen George before George his her face. Behind Crystal a computer screen showed a map of the area, w/ ghost icons on certain locations (hmm...). Mason thinks the map may be prime candy locations. G & M leave, and Crystal does a search in the company database for "Georgia Lass" (hmm...).

-There's a couple flashbacks to George trick-or-treating as a kid. At 1 house, the guy left the candy outside. George yells that she knows he's home, and the guy peeks out of his curtains as they walk away.

-There's a serial killer loose in town, who kills at :59 past the hour. Everyone has a reap to get, each of which is a victim, each of which were home alone. George accompanies Mason for his reap, which turns out to be a child. George has the last reap, which turns out to be the killer. The killer is also revealed to be the creepy guy from the flashbacks. They both recognize each other.

-They tried to hint at maybe Reggie being a victim of the killer. Joy & Reggie were invited to a neighbor's Halloween party. Reggie didn't want to go, and said she'd stay home alone to hand out candy. Joy went to the party w/out her. I wasn't buying the tease, though.

-Reggie & Joy stay overnight by George's grave. George shows up the next morning & leaves some candy for the 2 of them, who were sleeping. George starts walking away, and Reggie wakes up & sees her. The last shot is George looking back @ Reggie, and then George walking off.

Guest Miss Indy Queen

The rumors are true! Tvguide.com has a blurb about it:

DEAD AND BURIED: Showtime's Dead Like Me has officially been laid to rest. The network confirmed Monday that the low-rated cult fave would not return for a third season. To help fill the void, Variety reports that Showtime is turning the Barbershop film franchise into a TV series. The net is also set to produce a remake of the cheeky drug musical Reefer Madness.

Just what we need, kill a great show, to fill Showtime up with a tv series from the movie Barbershop!

Ugh...is it just me or do stations seem to be really axe happy? This was a great show that would likely have gained more viewers next season but instead it gets axed because it wasn't getting ratings now.

To replace it, they also have a show about a woman selling weed...*sigh*

Damnit. Why do these people have to cancel shows before they give any kind of resolution? There's still tons of stuff that needs explaining, but who cares, it's Barbershop!

Guest Flyboy
Does anyone know where to get ratings for cable shows like this?  I was always under the impression DLM did fairly well ratings-wise for Showtime.

I don't know where you can find ratings (I've been looking for a place online myself), but I know that DLM was one of Showtime's most highly-rated shows (read magazines and such).

Well...my favorite show on TV is gone. Oh well...life goes on...maybe HBO could pick it up and put it on the same night as Six Feet Under, if that thing is still on the air.

Time to buy some DVDs...and fuck Showtime...yeah.

Guest Flyboy
Well...my favorite show on TV is gone.

Man, you're not the only one. Oh well... now Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me must console me. *sniff*

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/gofuton....ewswire&id=6790

Here's a little blurb concerning ratings from the above link:

Ratings may have also been a factor in the decision as the show's second season finale was seen by 622,000 viewers, down 22% from its June 2003 debut (797,000 viewers). The series nevertheless topped the much-hyped premiere to "Huff" last month, which scored a meager 456,000 viewers. Week two of the Hank Azaria-led drama, which was given a second season order before it ever premiered, fared even worse with 297,000 viewers tuning in (a 35% decline).

Guest Flyboy

That's sad considering that season two was way better than the first season and that's saying a lot since the first season was excellent. I definitely think moving it from Friday night to Sunday night could have hurt them ratings wise.

The rating for the Huff debut was HORRIBLE considering Showtime did a free weekend with a media blitz to promote the fact that HUFF was debuting that weekend and people could watch it even if they didn't get Showtime.

I've been getting Showtime for free for 6 months (up in February) and I can safely say that I would not spend the $12 a month directv wants for it.

Guest Flyboy

There are rumors swirling around that MGM has contacted the WB about them picking up the show and the WB is STRONGLY considering it.

Eh.. I guess having DLM and better than having none at all if it goes down.