TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MikeJordan23

Which former WCW really benefited from going to

I'd say Benoit and Eddy are the clear winners, for switching promotions, and maybe Chris Jericho.

Dean Malenko was probably worse off, same with Saturn.

*should say which former WCW WRESTLER

Austin, Foley, Undertaker, Nash, Hall, HHH, this list could go on for hours.

Nash and Hall are unique examples because they benefited most by going back to WCW, but their WWE work was what really made them.

I'd have to put Austin at the top of the list. A midcarder going nowhere with WCW, then quickly put into the main event scene of WWE where he became arguably the biggest star in history.

Guest Loss

Definitely Kevin Nash. Austin's talent would have catapulted him to superstardom eventually. Nash becoming a star in the WWF changed the business, and not exactly in a good way.

Definitely Kevin Nash. Austin's talent would have catapulted him to superstardom eventually. Nash becoming a star in the WWF changed the business, and not exactly in a good way.

Interesting take. A lot of people areof the opinion Austin would never blow up in WCW, with the thought Hogan wouldn't allow another wrestler to reach that status. I'm not sure about that. Though I'm not sure he'd be a big star in WCW either. I would suspect he would be world champion or maybe the biggest contender, but never the biggest star in wrestling history (One of the two anyway...)

I was thinking of starting a thread on this recently, but really, my choice would be to the non-wrestlers. I think that Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler are the two from Invasion era at least that benefitted the most. Most actual wrestlers dropped down the card, however Torrie and Stacy have been in mainstream magazines, among other things, getting much more exposure than they ever would have in WCW.

Mark Calloway, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Steve Austin and Paul Levesque. All but Austin were B show midcarders in WCW, yet Vince helped mold them in to superstars. Austin, while very successful and over, hit the ceiling once Hogan and his buddies started taking over. His was more a case of necessity rather than Vince finding a diamond in the rough. Same goes for Foley.

Guest Rrrsh

If we are speaking due ot WCW sale, then I would say Rey simply due to him getting back his mask. Lesser ones would be Mark Jinjrak and Torrie Wilson

Before the sale, HHH takes the cake. He is so average in so many ways that he woudl have never have been noticed at all if he wasn't part of the clique.

Guest krazykat72
Jericho.

Never would of been a star in WCW and has been a pretty big one in the WWE...even though he could of been bigger than Austin and Rock in late 99, but they kind of messed it up.

Jericho would have *never* been as big a star as either.

Along with Hogan, They (especially Austin) are the biggest stars of

the last 50 years (since the Georgeous George era).

Jericho could have been a bigger star, but it's fantasy to think he'd have made as

much money or been as big a star as those two.

-Paul Jacobi-

Guest Loss

I agree with Paul. To say Jericho could have been that huge isn't really fair to him. I don't think it's a stretch to say he could have done every bit as well as HHH has done, though.

I listed Nash because Nash's rise to stardom in the WWF and subsequent jump to WCW, jumpstarting the NWO, an angle that took off and eventually gave him enough backstage power to start booking. It was his booking that killed WCW's momentum dead for good and the company never rebounded. His departure ended up working to the WWF's advantage in the long haul, as they had a reformation in approach and the locker room became a better place. The impact of Nash jumping ship in 1996 was astronomical, and we're still feeling the peripheral effects nearly 10 years later.

Wrestling would have been totally different without Kevin Nash.

I don't think it's fair to say that he never would of been as big of a star as Rock or Austin either. Actually, that's pretty absurd to be perfectly honest. On what grounds do you think Jericho never could of been a major superstar, moreso than he is right now? I think it's safe to say in his prime Jericho had better wrestling matches than Hogan and more outgoing chrisma than Austin.

When he debuted on Raw, he didn't get an upper midcard ovation or reaction in his promo with Rock...he got a main event, superstar push all the way to the moon. He instantly could of taken Austin's place on the roster as a new big superstar since Austin was on his way out for surgery. If they only kept it up instead of going from Rock to Road Dogg to Chyna, we wouldn't even be having this converstaion because Jericho would be selling out movie theatres right now and being on TV talk shows across the world. And Triple H still could of been fucking huge, but he just would of had to sharen some of the big heel heat with Jericho and obviously that wasn't in the plan. Basically replace Big Show in early 2000 with Jericho. And I KNOW that would of gotten more interest.

Do I think Jericho would of made more money then Hogan and Rock have? I never said that. And I don't know if he would, but we can't sit here and say "No, never". Anything's possible.

I think it's done well for Helms. He got a push near the end of WCW...but nobody watched. As soon as he hit with The Hurricane he got huge face pops and got over, even though he was a heel.

Sure he's burried in the midcard, but a big fan favorite with good merch sales I imagine.

Guest Rrrsh
and more outgoing chrisma than Austin.

No. Austin had the charisma that could relate with everyone.

Well, relate to the WWE demo. Not everyone.

I think Jericho's potential before as a main player will alwyas be a what if due to his ridiculouly over persona despite never being pushed seriosuly at all.

Ditto with RVD.

I don't see how Austin would've been anywhere close to the level he became in the WWF if he'd stay'd in the WCW as it was his bitterness that he used in his ECW promos that gave him that Stone Cold persona..sure he probably was the same guy but staying in WCW he would've still been Stunning with balding blonde hair that was cocky...he probably woud've joined the NWO since most heels ended up there anyway....now if Bischoff was smart then he coulda used Austin in the same fashion...letting him be the heel that just got over because he was a badass and then jumpstarted the Austin vs. his boss(EB) about two years early...it's too bad that theres now way to see an "alternate" vision of what wrestling woulda been like if things like this never happened like in comic books...

Guest LooneyTune

With Eric Bischoff in power, Austin would never get to the main events. He fired him for a shit reason, and WWF used that shit reason to make him a star... and him being a bitter fuck who used foul language really helped too.

I wonder what people DIDN'T benefit by going from WCW to WWF. Vader for 1... wow, what horrible treatment. Dusty Rhodes was treated like a complete joke, and anyone remember Kanyon?

To say Jericho could have been that huge isn't really fair to him. I don't think it's a stretch to say he could have done every bit as well as HHH has done, though.

I think anyone with wrestling ability could get over at major main event status if they were booked to be a 9 time World Champ and dominate the title scene. It's basically the law of averages.

I wonder what people DIDN'T benefit by going from WCW to WWF. Vader for 1... wow, what horrible treatment. Dusty Rhodes was treated like a complete joke, and anyone remember Kanyon?

DDP. He was the only big star in WCW that came over (Booker T was second, DDP was more over) and they buried him completely over the summer of 2001.

I think Jericho's potential before as a main player will alwyas be a what if due to his ridiculouly over persona despite never being pushed seriosuly at all.

Ditto with RVD.

Definately. RVD in 2001 was fucking SET. They could of taken a million dollar angle (WCW vs. WWF) that was botched, and created a huge star out of it in Rob Van Dam.

But we know what happened.

Yah DDP got screwed badly. The angle with the Undertaker, while bad, could of worked, but we all know what happened there at Summerslam... Does anyone remember that cage match?

Kanyon got in some offense, I think DDP hit like 3 punches the whole match. Fuckin' terrible.

Raven of course wasn't given any chance in WWE. Technically he came from ECW, but he only had a short stint there.

Rey-Rey getting his mask back is not necessarily a good thing, (it is aesthetically, of course.) I've heard he can basically never wrestle in Mexico again, since he broke a huge taboo by remasking.

X-Pac probably did better in the WWF. How he's selling a sex vid to make money is beyond me. He must have made a TON between nWo and DX shirt sales.

Steamboat suffered a drop in status in the WWF

Yah DDP got screwed badly. The angle with the Undertaker, while bad, could of worked, but we all know what happened there at Summerslam... Does anyone remember that cage match?

Kanyon got in some offense, I think DDP hit like 3 punches the whole match. Fuckin' terrible.

Then DDP lost to Sara Undertaker the next night on Raw, took off for a month to get dental work, came back with his stupid gimmick, hurt his neck vs. Bob Holly which supposely "ended his career", and now I guess he's back in TNA trying to live a 1998 feud with Raven.

Again...WWE killed that guy's career. No reason either.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Steamboat's an interesting case...

He was tag teamer for early 1980's with NWA...left for WWF and become upper card player who headlined many shows (the b shows while Hogan did the A shows) then got released returned to NWA, headlined a classic series and then was gone by the start of the next year; returned to wwf to be a lowcarder for a few months left that and arrived in WCW to be an uppercard player until his injury retired him.

I guess overall he was better off in NWA/WCW.

Malenko had a decent run in the WWE. It's helpd him more since he's retired though.

From what I see. It seems like Jericho has accepted in place in the WWE.

Guest LooneyTune

I don't remember ever seeing Reigns on a Nitro. Seen him on plenty of the Saturday B-Show (he was Horshu, right?).