TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

Paul Heyman Released

According to "rumors" on 1wrestling.com, it's quite possible Paul Heyman is completely gone from WWE.

As has been covered pretty well the last few weeks, Heyman is no longer part of the writing team, nor does he travel on the road to work as Heidenreich's manager. In addition to that, it was recently discovered that his bio page on the SmackDown! superstar listing has been removed completely.

With rumors of an ECW pay-per view (the talk is a June PPV in New York City), one would wonder how it would be authentic enough without the touch or input from Paul Heyman. This is what many ECW loyalists were afraid of when hearing the rumors of WWE considering reviving the brand name under their umbrella.

Heyman has kept his contractual status with WWE relatively private, so no one knows for sure where he stands with the company right now. One would assume TNA will be jumping all over him if he is in fact completely removed from any WWE obligations

Guest The Shadow Behind You

It's amazing to watch the ECW dvd where it's basically a blowjob session for Heyman "Genius this and genius that" and then McMahon goes "you're fired" because he was doing what he did in ECW.

coming up with ideas and storylines.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Do you guys just choose to ignore the fact that heyman has been known to be a scumbag with an abrassive personailty?

A scumbag in a sea of scumbags is hard to detect.

Paul Heyman makes it noticeable. I like him, don't get me wrong. But he isn't the easier person to work with, I'm rurpised it took this long.

Guest BillyTheStud

This is all Brian Gerwitz's fault. Someone needs to take that fucker out, he has no business writing wrestling shows.

This is all Brian Gerwitz's fault. Someone needs to take that fucker out, he has no business writing wrestling shows.

you're so pretentious

If heyman was released, the ECW dvd may be his resume to get a tv station to start a promotion with him.

Guest LooneyTune

Big Deal. Heymans idea of a good show is telling 2 workers to have the same match every week on TV for 3 months. The only thing I'll miss of Heyman is him being the mouthpiece for a hoss who couldn't cut a better promo than El Gigante.

At least this scumbag booked entertaining wrestling.

WORD!

If Paul really is gone, well, thanks to him for at least trying to improve the product.

Seriously people. Ms. Piggy really has no idea what she is doing. Ah well. The suckage will go on in the Dubya Dubya EEEEEEEEE!!!!

Well, this is what happened after WM19, isn't it? They won't let him go, if only because he could help TNA if he went there.

He'll get the same disrespect and deal with all the same bullshit if he went to TNA.

Guest LooneyTune

TNA can't be helped. They are dead in March because Panda Energy either wants them to cut costs on everything to the point the company would barely exist, or will give up on the company and stop giving them money.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Heyman basically has to hope that his old buddy Gabe lets him take over ROH and that's unlikely.

However, they could team up and Heyman has the name and the clout to work with and Gabe can say "I'm in charge of the business so dont be afraid".

In reality, Heyman will be back come summer.

Hopefully it's ok to post this here, but I thought it was a dead on article on this situation. It's by Jason Powell from this week's Pro Wrestling Torch http://www.pwtorch.com:

Paul Heyman has really done it this time. The manipulative, Kool-Aid pushing, compulsive liar actually had the nerve to listen in on one of Stephanie McMahon's private phone calls. Or was it one of Brian Gewirtz's private calls? Oh wait, that's right it was a conference call between the members of the Raw creative staff. Only it wasn't really private, it was a conference call among the Raw writers. The same writers that Heyman has assisted at various times throughout his nearly four-year run in World Wrestling Entertainment.

We know this because while Stephanie and her writers were going over their top secret plans for Raw, an uninvited guest made the mistake of hanging up during the middle of the chat session. Fearing that an ace computer, er, phone hacker had penetrated the WWE conference call system, Ms. McMahon immediately did what any good kindergarten teacher would do by taking roll call.

One by one, she went down the list. Wrestling genius Brian Gewirtz, who got into WWE based on his writing work on "The Jenny McCarthy Show," "Big Wolf on Campus," and "Claude's Crib," was there. New managing editor Tom Chehak, the mastermind behind such amazing pro wrestling angles as "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.," "Hunter," and "Alien Nation," was also in attendance. Wait, those weren't wrestling angles. I guess I was just thrown off by seeing the names "Brisco," "Hunter," and "Nation (of Domination)" in his list of credits.

Michael Hayes, who actually did wrestle and later went on to embarrass the McMahon family and the entire company by choosing to relive his Fabulous Freebird days during Stephanie's wedding, sat in on the conference call. As did Dave Lagana, who was able to list "coffee boy on the set of 'Friends'" and "former ECW fan" on his resume. Even Ed Koskie, whose list of writing credits includes several stints of sitting in the front row at the ECW Arena, was in on this big meeting. After Steph crossed off all of the names on her list, she realized that there was still one person who was unaccounted for.

Could it be that Ted Turner had hired a spy to sit in on the WWE creative team meetings? Was Billionaire Ted planning to take the information obtained during the conference call and pass it along to Eric Bischoff? Would Uncle Eric then take the stolen information, pick out the best material, and use it for his own wrestlers during the first hour of WCW Nitro?

Oh wait, Bischoff is under WWE contract, and Daddy bought World Championship Wrestling, so that couldn't have been it.

Maybe Jeff Jarrett got access to some of the old WWE conference call numbers through his old pal Vince Russo, who once headed the Raw writing team. My God, if Jarrett recorded all of the information discussed during the meeting, he might air a tape of the creative team's conversation during the next TNA pay-per-view. Of course, TNA would go belly up by censoring any audio that contained a WWE employee actually speaking. But there is a chance that they might actually have the guts to air a clip of Jarrett clearing his throat in between all of the beeping sounds they would use to mask the sounds of WWE officials speaking.

No, that couldn't be it, either. WWE didn't have a slew of Hollywood rejects when Russo was around, so there was no need for conference calls, and thus Russo couldn't have had access to the numbers.

So who could it have been, Steph must have thought to herself. Who was this diabolical fiend and what did he or she plan to do with the information that was stolen? Why, if the details of that conference call were to leak to the internet, then the word would spread that Hunter would be regaining his, I mean, the World Hvt. Title sooner than later. If that storyline leaked, WWE would be without the ace they've been hiding in their sleeve for nearly three weeks.

Eventually, Stephanie used the tools of modern technology to uncover the shocking truth. The person who sat in on this conversation wasn't a competitor, it was actually another member of the WWE creative team. How dare a team member sit in on a conference call between other creative team members?

It's bad enough that Heyman earned his stripes in the professional wrestling business rather than on the set of a critically maligned sitcom or a box office bomb. I mean, what could he possibly do to assist Triple H in his Hollywood aspirations? The McMahon family even tolerated the fact that Heyman was a better general manager than Stephanie. They even went so far as to reward him for his hard work by screwing him out of a WrestleMania payoff. The McMahons were so kind-hearted that they brought Heyman back to the creative team even though he had the nerve to speak out against the angles and storylines he didn't care for, such as Triple H defeating everyone on the Raw roster.

The fact of the matter is that Stephanie McMahon had to draw the line somewhere. Heyman should have known that as a Smackdown writer, he had no business sitting in on a conference call between Raw and Smackdown writers. After all, this is the same company that insists that there not be any competition between the two brands. They've even taken it so far that Lagana, the lead writer of Smackdown, now turns in his Smackdown script to Chehak, who sends it to Gewirtz, the Raw lead writer, for fine tuning. Never mind that the process doesn't play out in the same fashion when Gewirtz finishes his Raw script. There is no friction between the two staffs. They are all one big happy family under the direction of Stephanie McMahon.

Or at least they were a happy family until that meddling Heyman disrupted the peace and harmony that existed between the two teams by daring to listen to a conference call. Just imagine what might have happened if Heyman had identified himself as a participant in the call and then suggested an idea that didn't go along with the way Hunter, er, Stephanie felt about a Raw storyline. Suddenly, Mama McMahon's big happy family might not share the same brain, er, go along with whatever Vince and Stephanie tell them to like, er, peacefully coexist.

Thankfully, Stephanie has responded by hitting Heyman where it hurts. His punishment is that he no longer gets to be part of the WWE creative team. Thanks to Steph, the other writers never have to worry about someone on the staff daring to voice a differing opinion. Now they can all just nod their heads or shoot down storyline ideas when Vince or Steph give them the appropriate cue. So what if the Smackdown ratings increased when Heyman returned to the writing staff? It's not as if WWE is just a few months away from having their television contract expire.

Oops, my bad. I forgot, WWE is nearing the end of its run with Viacom. I also forgot that the ECW DVD was so successful that WWE officials are planning to promote a pay-per-view that will reunite the stars of that promotion - the stars that Heyman created. But that's all beside the point. What's really important is that Heyman pay the price for listening in on a conference call he could have listened to had he identified himself.

After all, WWE has a great track record for zero tolerance when it comes to their wrestlers and writers. Just look at the way they punished Bob Holly for beating up that kid on Tough Enough. And the way they punished Holly for beating up Rene Dupree in front of a house show crowd. It's a good thing Heyman isn't a wrestler or there's a good chance that he'd be doing a job during a dark match at the next Smackdown tapings.

How would it look if WWE didn't punish Heyman given the way they reprimanded Hayes for making a fool of himself at Steph and Hunter's wedding? Heyman is just lucky that he won't be around the office to suffer through the same cold shoulder treatment that Steph and Hunter gave Hayes for about an hour when they all met up at the office for the first time following the nuptials.

And those are just two examples of WWE workers who don't actually make the company money. How much crap did Vince tolerate from Shawn Michaels when he was the top name in the company? Bill Goldberg was always a real pleasure to work with, I'm sure. WWE may not have met his contract demands, but they would have kissed his feet and fed him grapes if he had made as much money for them as he did for WCW during his prime run with the company. Steve Austin walked out on the company a few times, but he'll be back at WrestleMania because of his ability to help sell pay-per-views. Same with Hulk Hogan.

Paul Heyman isn't a money-drawing wrestler, but he is a ratings-generating television writer, which is more than we can say about the vast majority of the current writing team. If he's not a good fit with the creative team, then maybe it's time to let him write television from home. Vince can still edit the scripts just as he did for Russo. Heyman might have made a mistake when he listened in on that phone call or maybe he was pushing his luck in hopes of being fired. Whatever the case may be, it's painfully obvious via the weekly Smackdown ratings that WWE needs to bend the rules in order to make use of Heyman's writing talents.

Guest LooneyTune

Wow, did that article just drag on... that could've easily been done with 1 paragraph maybe instead of constantly bitching about unfair treatment to some, while others get off with barely a slap on the wrist.

Wow, did that article just drag on... that could've easily been done with 1 paragraph maybe instead of constantly bitching about unfair treatment to some, while others get off with barely a slap on the wrist.

You're the "no" dude from the Capital One adverts. I'll bet you wake up and bow to a massive minus symbol every morning 'cause you're so negative.

You're the "no" dude from the Capital One adverts. I'll bet you wake up and bow to a massive minus symbol every morning 'cause you're so negative.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! DAVID SPADE! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Wow, did that article just drag on... that could've easily been done with 1 paragraph

They do have newsletters to fill, you know...I thought it was a good article that summed up my and many others' feelings...

Guest LooneyTune

Seemed too bitter. Heyman was taken off the Writing team for no reason. Thats all it needs to say. It doesn't have to give a history of what the other writers did, becaus eI'm sure everyone who reads the newsletters already knows that the writers are hollywood hacks who couldn't write a good storyline if it bit them in the ass.

Things could get interesting, depending on whatever the stipulations on him working for another promotion are after he leaves. If he and Bisch were to put aside their personal bullshit, they could propably run a hell of a promotion.

Despite Heyman's faults (and yes, he certainly did have a few), at least he recognized that a fed can't just live off a handful of wrestlers forever, that new stars needed to be pushed once in a while. Too bad it didn't work out.

Guest LooneyTune

Bischoff can't run a promotion. Remember when WCW had like 150 people under contract? And how Nash and Hogan kept main eventing against each other and the same people like Savage and Piper? And the fact he fired people like Austin because they were too boring looking...

Bischoff had 1 good idea, which he stole from Japan. The nWo invasion. Nothing else of his was that good.

Woah... I AM negative.

Nitro from 1995-1997 was not merely a television show, it was almost event. I think Bischoff is much smarter than anyone gives him credit for. The undercard was rarely boring during that time, he went out on a limb and gave wrestlers chances, something the McMahons didn't do at that time...and still don't. You saw wrestlers from all over the world. I liked it.

I don't think Bischoff gets enough credit for the stuff he did. To say he had 1 good idea is absurd. Hell, that "1 good idea" itself was more than 1 good idea. When it's all said and done, Bischoff will probably be one of the 20 most influencial men in wrestling history. I would say "10", but I haven't exactly thought this through ;)