TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

Frank Miller. Jim Lee. Batman

The mystery and guessing game is over! Frank Miller, a man who many think defined the Dark Knight Detective with his work on both The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One will be writing the upcoming Batman and Robin for the DC All-Stars line, according to the New York Times.

The New York Times reported:

Mr. Miller has been announced as the writer of "All-Star Batman and Robin," which will be published by DC Comics in July as part of a new group of titles in which top artists and writers will create stories not bound by decades of continuity. (In this case, Batman's partner is Dick Grayson, the first and best-known Robin, not Tim Drake, the third boy in the role.)

All-Star Batman and Robin will be drawn by Jim Lee.

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/pulse.cgi?h...36%26t%3D003277

Fuck yeah. B-)

Man, Miller's asking for George Lucas-type trouble here. People will be expecting The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One, and will scream bloody murder if they don't get it.

And I don't really like Jim Lee's Batman, but that's just me. And if people are expecting The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One, then they'll probably HATE Lee's stuff because he's draws in an "action" style, and they want a darker style more associated with Miller, Janson, JRJR and Seinkiewicz.

Crap, that came off more negative than I wanted it to. So let's wrap this up by saying that despite what I wrote, I hope that ASB turns out well.

Its a great team but alas I still dont like the DC All Stars idea.

Maybe it is just because the two of them are some of my favorite in the comics field, but I think they will be fine. Check out Lee's blog, where he shows blatant fanboy love of Miller. He even mentions that he's been getting art tips from Miller, so I think we'll be fine.

Why do people hate Jim Lee's work? I loved the artwork in Hush.

Hate is a strong word. It's more like his artistic style isn't exactly what fits what we think as "Frank Miller style" - grim and gritty. Lee's style works well with stuff like X-Men or Superman - his characters are strong, powerful, larger than life. His attempt at "grim and gritty" - Deathblow - was hardly a resounding success. Hence, my skepticism for a successful collaboration.

Guest JMA
I'm excited and definitely interested.

Ditto. Teaming up Frank Miller and Jim Lee on "All-Star Batman" is a great move, IMO.

His attempt at "grim and gritty" - Deathblow - was hardly a resounding success.

But the art in Deathblow was great IMO. Now as a book....eh....

Why do people hate Jim Lee's work? I loved the artwork in Hush.

Maybe for the same reason I hate Alex Ross.

Man, Miller's asking for George Lucas-type trouble here. People will be expecting The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One, and will scream bloody murder if they don't get it.

Not if they've read Dark Knight Strikes Again. Despite the fact that I liked DKR and Miller's Daredevil run, I will always keep my standards for him low just in case he pulls out something that bad ever again.

They were both less than average for Miller. Moreso Robocop 2 because that was when Miller could still churn out good work (Sin City a couple years later after RC2 came out). DKSA was like a big joke that no one got.

DKSA was like a big joke that no one got.

That is one of the better desciptions I have heard for it. The story was all over the place. I wonder who the editor was and if they were afraid to question FM.

Guest SpiderFan

To be fair to Miller, I believe Robocop 2 was heavily edited by the studio compared to his script. There's a comic coming out now that's based on his original script, but it doesn't seem to follow any kind of release schedule.

DK2 was atrocious artwork wise, and yes I understood the "subtle" undercurrents of the story and I wasn't impressed. Batman isn't a terrorist.

I also saw his work with a Wolverine graphic novel and I'd say he was at best above average, certainly not worthy of the near worship he receives.