TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

Lockdown Comments

Wow. READ THIS SHOW!

Toxx, the end was dog-gone awesome. Much kudos for that. Also, obvious props go to the winners...two in particular, but all the winners. Even Sacred. One hell of a way to start the year guys.

Sorry to Maddix and Sacred and everyone, for not being around to mark - I was supposed to back home on the 4th, but horrendously horrendous plane delays (amounting to about 28 hours) kept me from getting home until midnight last night.

Anywho, I finally have some free time. Will check out the show right about...

NOW~

Congrats to Wild and Dangerous. Sarah failed to turn in anything for me by tuesday evening so I went it alone, but to be fair I was finished with time to spare so I don't have much of an excuse. And now another bit of history has been made - Toxxic has lost twice in a row. Guess I'm more burned out than I thought.

I'll read the rest of the show soon, but for now I'm probably going to sleep.

Wow. READ THIS SHOW!

Toxx, the end was dog-gone awesome. Much kudos for that. Also, obvious props go to the winners...two in particular, but all the winners. Even Sacred. One hell of a way to start the year guys.

Yeah, I know you love us.

J/K

Congrats to W&D for the 3peat, and OMG IT'S DACE F'N NIGHT

Definitely congratulations to everyone. Landon did a great opening promo. Sacred wrote a BRILLIANT match which excellently captured the tension of the clock running down (and I liked the brief reappearance of COmet and Riley). Congrats to Clark and Cortez, and Manson's EWR 'match' had me in hysterics. That's some funny shit right there.

Johnny and WIldchild - good match. I am upset about one small thing; Toxxic choking someone with the tag rope. He doesn't do it, because he DOESN'T cheat. The only thing he'll do is go to the eyes if he's in REAL trouble - that sort of prick heel cheating isn't what he's about. Nonetheless, congratulations on becoming three-time Tag Champions... and when's our rematch, bitches? ;)

Now I need to work out what's going down between Toxxic and your NEW Number One Contender, Sacred.

Toxxic, you come across as a swell guy, and I think you're a pretty talented writer... but you've made your character very un-fun to write in a lot of ways; I can understand your irritation, and I apologize for mis-representing your character, but a heel that doesn't cheat is just a face who's stuck up... and it's bad enough that your character essentially has a glass jaw. It's hard to write a winning match against a heel who doesn't cheat and can't take any punishment without making the character look bad, especially when that character is a former World Heavyweight Champion.

For some reason it amuses me very much to see that Martial Law are coming out to Stabbing Westward. I'm not sure why. :P

Much congrats to Sacred for his win, and hail the return of the High Priest of Horrorcore.

*shambles back to the retiree home*

a heel that doesn't cheat is just a face who's stuck up.

Don't you think that's a little bit simplistic? In my eyes, cheating is not what makes you a heel - otherwise Landon would still be heel. Being is a heel is due to the majority of the crowd not liking you, and THAT'S why Toxxic's a heel. People hate him because yes, he's stuck up, but also because he has one-by-one faced, beaten and in some cases retired several crowd favourites. And then bragged about it.

Personally I don't understand the problem - how would you write a winning match against a non-cheating face without making them look weak? Or conversely, how does Landon write a match as a cheating face without making himself look weak? Think of it this way; when facing Toxxic, you can either write him as wrestling clean and beat him. Or you can (going against my wishes) write him as cheating... and still beat him. In one scenario he stuck to the rules and got beat, in the other he broke the rules and still couldn't win. Which one makes him look weaker?

For some reason it amuses me very much to see that Martial Law are coming out to Stabbing Westward. I'm not sure why. :P

Much congrats to Sacred for his win, and hail the return of the High Priest of Horrorcore.

*shambles back to the retiree home*

Short story: They are/were my favorite band.

I had two very difficult decisions to make.

Neither tag match was perfect, of course, but Wild & Dangerous did what I thought was a great job telling a story about themselves without using their opponents as cardboard cutouts to bounce their story off of. Toxxic and Davis wrote a great match, but W&D's just had that feel to it that I'm so fond of invoking as a reason for making my decision. The Rev-0 match just felt like another match to me, while the W&D match felt like something special.

The seven-minute challenge was odd because of how Landon chose to end it. I'd like to encourage him to post his losing match, if only to illustrate that despite being an excellent match it lost a lot of points for not using the stipulation the way it could have been used. Also, Sacred's match didn't just go on the prior psychology, it developed it and furthered it in what I felt was a simple but important step. Want to know what it was? Read the match.

Don't you think that's a little bit simplistic?

No. Because being a prick, in itself, does not a heel make; not in the post-Attitude era... there's a world of difference between not needing to cheat, and not cheating EVER! Good heel's don't cheat because they need to cheat; they cheat for the hell of it... for shits and giggles. As Jesse Ventura used to say, "win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Personally I don't understand the problem - how would you write a winning match against a non-cheating face without making them look weak?

I don't; I've never been able to pull it off. Whenever I have to write a face/face match, I always either end up making them look weak... or else, I lose.

... Or conversely, how does Landon write a match as a cheating face without making himself look weak?

You'd have to ask him that.

... Think of it this way; when facing Toxxic, you can either write him as wrestling clean and beat him. Or you can (going against my wishes) write him as cheating... and still beat him. In one scenario he stuck to the rules and got beat, in the other he broke the rules and still couldn't win. Which one makes him look weaker?

It would be different if you were content with him being one or the other, but you want him to be both; if the heel could take shots, then you could just put him over as a badass, and if he can't take shots, you can usually put him over as a conniving, cheating bastard... but you want to have your cake and eat it, too, and that makes writing your character difficult.

But look at the other matches Toxxic's been in that he's won. The reason is wins is not either because he's a badass tough guy, or because he cheats - the reason he wins is he's a) smart, and knows enough about his opponents to work a strategy, and b) is quick and agile enough to avoid a lot of the opponent's offence. Now obviously, against Speed 10 Wildchild he'll be avoiding a lot less... but you don't hit very hard, either. In a singles match between us Toxxic would fall back on his reasonable brawling ability to soften you up for a head drop. Against Johnny Toxxic would lose out on the striking element since Johnny knows martial arts, but not by all that much and he would be able to use his speed advantage.

And if you can't write a match against a face without making him look weak, doesn't that say more about you as a writer than Toxxic's character?

:: shrugs ::

Can't recall that I ever referred to myself as a good writer...

I disagree with WC not hitting hard; he might not "hit" hard, relative to his strength level, but relative to his moveset, he hits pretty damned hard; I'd venture to argue that a 215-lb man dropping onto your chest cavity from eight+ feet in the air hurts at least as much as a run-of-the-mill signature move by a guy with strength 5.

The seven-minute challenge was odd because of how Landon chose to end it. I'd like to encourage him to post his losing match, if only to illustrate that despite being an excellent match it lost a lot of points for not using the stipulation the way it could have been used. Also, Sacred's match didn't just go on the prior psychology, it developed it and furthered it in what I felt was a simple but important step. Want to know what it was? Read the match.

I'll be honest. I hated the stip.

The only plausible endings were the draw, or someone winning with four or five seconds left. And the latter seemed far too predictable to me.

My original idea was to write a draw because to be honest, I couldn't think of a way of writing Landon to beat Sacred in under seven minutes. I actually spent a whole day trying to work out an ending that wouldn't make Sacred look weak. Couldn't really find one. So in the end I just said to hell with it, rushed through the match in an hourand a half (legit), tacked on a LON to end it and sent it in incase Muzz no-showed or sent in a rush-job. Which, thankfully he didn't.

Oh yeah? Well you're ugly.

I'd also like to commend Frisco on a delightfully silly visual of Carnage buying Candace a teddy bear, as well as Dace Night making a return while staying useless to me in the booking arena.

I'm sorry man. Just couldn't handle writing with the fact I've moved back to Uni today. But you know I around for your next show booking.

As well as Dace Night making a return while staying useless to me in the booking arena.

I've been looking for a way to do that. Another congrats to Dace for frustrating Mr Flesher. ;)

Dace and Mak reminded me in chat that Flesher is booking a more 'pure wrestling' show. I told them that I therefore looked forward to having every Flesher show off. It's working so far! ;)

-being an annoying spot-monkey since Feb '04