TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nl5xsk1

Why do you hate ... who you hate?

Guest Failed Mascot
Yankees and Red Sox.

It's tough for the O's to compete in a division with the equivalent of the US and USSR having an arms race during the Cold War...

This scenerio makes the Orioles into North Korea. Lead by a crazy bastard spending all kinds of money on inferior weapons just to say he has some.

NBA:

Sacramento Kings (Lakers big confernce rivals)

Utah Jazz (Chokers)

Detroit Pistons (Lakers achilles heel)

Boston Celtics (Lakers whipping boys now)

MLB:

San Francisco Giants (Barry Bonds, nuff said)

San Diego Padres (Tony Gywnn made the Dodgers his HR dummies for a decade)

New York Yankees (It's a love-hate relationship)

NFL:

Kansas City Chiefs (Only AFC West team that holds a winning record against the Raiders)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (I don't need to explain)

Guest Failed Mascot
Boston Celtics (Lakers whipping boys now)

I think the Celtics actually have a good record against the Lakers the past few years.

A-Rod: Little prima donna bitch.

Kobe: big prima donna bitch.

Yankees: I wouldn't mind if they spent all that money and were loyal to their players, now if someone has a bad season, they can't unload them fast enough. Speaks to no team unity.

Cowboys: Just don't like 'em.

Patriots: don't really HATE them, but they often make for boring games.

NFL

Chicago Bears - Because I'm a Packers fan.

Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons, St Louis Rams, Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints - Dome teams are a bunch of pussies. Real football is played outdoors.

NHL

Toronto Maple Leafs - The constant blowjobs that the media gives them wore on my by about the time I was 3.

Gary Bettman - No explanation needed here.

NBA

Kobe Bryant - Managed to drive away arguably the best and certainly the most popular player in the league and a legendary coach to keep him happy, and rewarded management by almost jumping ship on them anyways.

MLB

New York Yankees - Same reason as everyone else.

Bud Selig - Ruined the game as far as I'm concerned.

Jeffrey Loria - Forgot about him. But I fixed it. I hate him most of all. The scumbag who killed baseball in Montreal.

The 2002 San Francisco Giants, specifically Kenny Lofton, Barry Bonds, and Dusty Baker. Amazingly, Lofton's on the top of my list, after blowing a gasket Stephen Jackson-style when he got hit by a wayward pitch in Game 1 of the series.

The 2003 Chicago Cubs, for having two out of the three assholes listed above and for turning their own media and fanbase into an annoying bastard-child of the Red Sox Nation.

The Philadelphia Eagles, primarily for their fans' reaction to Michael Irvin's career-ending injury. I was smiling like the Cheshire Cat when karma swung around and snatched Terrell Owens from them for the playoffs this year.

The Los Angeles Lakers for Kobe Bryant. I don't think I need to go any further.

The New York Yankees, specifically the Mussina era. Three straight World Series titles made up for a lot of hype, but I only became really annoyed when they started deliberately exploiting the lack of a salary cap. The only thing that holds the Yankees back from dominating the league is that they are probably the worst team in the league at scouting talent.

The Denver Broncos, for Mike Shanahan, cut blocking, and Mike Shanahan.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' super bowl team, just for the nauseating amount of hype that they got, even though Dungy built them from the ground up. Warren Sapp's clipping of Chad Clifton is still one of the dirtiest plays that I've had the "pleasure" of watching live.

I respect Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzone for being arguably the best coaching tandem in baseball

They can turn shit into gold...I'm jealous

Yeah, your team turns gold into shit

HAHA fuck you. :P That's because Shea Stadium sucks ass (and it may have been built on an ancient Indian burial site? I don't know...)

I'll do mine

MLB

- Florida Marlins (I'm from Montreal and I cannot stand Jeffrey Loria after what he did to our former Expos, but I still fear the worst for the team)

- NY Yankees (again, the hate is for the team's higher-ups and their way of winning the pennant every year il the AL East)

- Bud Selig

NHL

- NJ Devils (lousy trap... but Brodeur is one of the best ever at his position)

Guest Vitamin X

The very same thing everyone says about Kobe is the exact same way I feel about Shaq. The man has an ego to match his size, while I always felt Kobe is a seriously misunderstood guy whose taken a lot of media flak for the rape trial and for everyone mistaking rumor for fact when it came to the Laker soap opera.

Aside from Jeffrey Loria, I wouldn't say I hate any team or figure in sports. I can't even say that I really hate my favourite team's 2 biggest rivals.

NHL:

-Ottawa: I was cheering for them in '97 when they played Buffalo, I loved it when they upset the Devils in '98, but I obviously can't cheer for them anymore. I like seeing them do well in the regular season (well, not too well), though, and am glad they finally have a competent owner who doesn't need to whine about moving to Portland any time he thinks he needs the government to give him some money.

-Montreal: Even though it gave me the opportunity to rag on some family members, when they were at the bottom of the league a few years ago, I didn't like it. I was upset when they lost to Carolina in '02, since we lost a chance to see a Toronto/Montreal Eastern Conference finals.

-Philly: Hmm, this one's bordering on hate. Probably mostly because they keep beating the Leafs. And Bob Clarke's an asshole, so that makes it easy.

-Rangers: I love watching them lose.

MLB

-Loria: Yeah, I hate him.

-Yankees: It's frustrating playing in the same division as them when they spend about 4 times as much money on players as your team does. In terms of enjoying watching them lose, I think the shit kicking that the Angels gave them in '02 tops anything, and my dislike for them has gone down a lot since.

-Roger Clemens: I hated him for a bit after he forced his trade from the Jays (especially since they have pretty much nothing to show for him), but that's pretty much gone now, especially since he helped out my fantasy team big time last year.

Does anyone only really hate a team when they are winning? And when they aren't you're just kind of indifferent to them?

Like the Patriots. I knew they were going to take it all last year so I didn't like them, that is until those damn sneaky Panthers injured Donovan McNabb and I had to cheer for the Patriots to gain me some retribution.

But this year.....I'm very indifferent to the Patriots b/c I don't think they'll take it all. God damn this team flies under the radar, even when they're one of the best.

Guest Vitamin X

The Pats thrive off of being the underdog.

Just ask any Pats fan if they ever get any respect. They'll vehemently defend their underdog status so as to maintain their team's integrity, or so it seems.

NFL- Packers (Favre, div rivals), Vikings (Moss, div rivals), Lions (div rivals), Cowboys (because they used to be a dynasty), Giants (Eli, Coughlin, New York), Jets (Pennington's a whiny little biatch, New York), 49ers (I can't remember why, honestly, I've just always rooted against them), Dolphins ('85 Bears), Bucs (obnoxious), Ravens (Lewis boys), Rams (ghey)

NBA- Pacers (Artest), Lakers (Kobe, dynasty), Nets (Carter, Kidd), Knicks (FUCK new york, and crawford)

MLB NL- Marlins, Cardinals, Astros, Reds, Brewers, Pirates, Braves, Mets (Pedro, newyork), Padres, Giants, Nationals, D-Backs

MLB AL- Yankees (everything about them), White Sox (their fans for the most part are obsessed with the Cubs, and reside in places such as Joliet)

NHL- whatever teams are in New York, I don't even watch hockey

Just ask any Pats fan if they ever get any respect. They'll vehemently defend their underdog status so as to maintain their team's integrity, or so it seems.

The Pats - as a team - get respect. Their players - for the most part - do not. If this is me being a 'homer', so be it. But it's really the way that I feel.

And, redbaron, the only two really lucky things that have gone the Pats way (that I can think of) are the "Tuck Rule" incident and the game a few years ago where Patton got knocked unconscious and fumbled the ball, but since part of him was out of bounds and another part of him was still touching the ball it was deemed that New England kept possession. I'm not saying that they don't get lucky, but I will say that they don't get more luck than any other team.

Also it's kind of hard to say that they're lucky when they force fumbles in the red zone, get INT's there, etc. To me, that's just playing well and creating turnovers like any other team does. I agree with nl in that the team gets respect but you rarely hear announcers rave about guys like a Teddy Bruschi, a Eugene Wilson, or a David Givens. I'd say the three "stars" of the Patriots in terms of being talked about are Tom Brady, Corey Dillon, and Ty Law with Richard Seymour slowly climbing up there.

I still want to know what percentage of this board is made up of Patriots fans that were fans before their recent success. It seems that you see more and more Pats fans now that they're a dominant team.

Fuck the bandwagon jumpers, if you didn't root for them during the Carroll era, you shouldn't be able to root for them now. (and I'd normally include the earlier crap-tacular eras, but too many people on TSM are too young to remember the Rod Rust-era, let alone the earlier horrific periods.)

St. Louis Rams- Mike Martz b/c he is Satan, Marshall Faulk b/c in 2000 he took a swing at one of the Saints players in week 17 and was NOT ejected. The league said he should have been. He would then proceed to rush for some stupid # of touchdowns forcing the Saints to play them in the Wildcard round instead of getting a bye. (we would then be blown out by the...Vikings) (note: Kyle Turley is exempt from this hatred as I feel he is really a Saints spy sent in to get secrets in case the divisions get realigned again)

Minnesota Vikings- They beat the Saints in the 2nd round of the playoffs in a total football massacre. Randy Moss got of easy when he hit that cop with his car. And his recent antics come to mind.

New York Yankees- I think this has been covered by other members. Plus I lost too much money betting against them in the 90s.

Florida Atlantic University- They gave our QB a concussion a few years back, and they celebrated with things like "bring in the body bag" and all sorts of other madness.

University of South Florida- They too had some seriously rude fans. They were constantly throwing stuff at us and not once was anyone of them admonished by security.

Northwestern State of LA- Bunch of pompus North Louisiana Bible Belt wanna be types.

North Texas- Their coach is too pompous considering the level his team plays at.

On scheduling a I-aa team "I wanted to play a team so we could beat them 150-0 and gain some confidence." He was about 127 points off of his prediction.

Well, recently I seem to be adding more and more teams to my NFL hate list (especially the Packers lately, mainly due to the overhype and praise of Favre. He's not the second coming tv folks.)

But for my whole life ever Sunday I was raised to root for two teams, The Eagles and whoever was playing the Cowboys. Whoever is playing the Giants has been added to that list, so I'd say that I hate those two teams. I almost get as much pleasure watching them lose as I get watching the Eagles win. And it doesn't matter how good or bad they are.

My sister is a big Pats fan, so I tend to cheer for them when the Packers are gone. She is far from a bandwagon fan though. She started liking them DURING the Caroll era because they stunk so much and she wanted to support a team that had the potential to go from last to first within the next few years. She was right.

On another note, I had picked them to win the AFC East in 2000, the year before they actually did get good then picked them for last when they won the Super Bowl. I'm still bitter over that.

What I'm wondering when you say to be a true fan of someone you had to like them during a certain era when they were doing badly......what if you didn't watch football during that era? What then?

What I'm wondering when you say to be a true fan of someone you had to like them during a certain era when they were doing badly......what if you didn't watch football during that era? What then?

Good question. I never even watched football before 1993. Green Bay has never had a season below .500 since I started watching, although they certainly weren't among the elite when I first started like they were from 1995-1997. I became a fan of them because I admired the idea of them being owned by the community, rather than some faceless corporation or some jackass you can't stand (see Jerry Jones).

Seattle Seahawks fan since the early 90's.

I've seen many leaf fans jump ship to like the Sabres in the mid 90's, then switch back when CuJo and Quinn brought the Leafs back to potential.

The Pats - as a team - get respect. Their players - for the most part - do not. If this is me being a 'homer', so be it. But it's really the way that I feel.

I'm eating my words ... Boomer Esiason all but washed Brady's balls on Sportscenter last night. So, at least some of the Pats get the ~love~ that 2 time SB champs deserve.

As long as you still root for that team after the glory years have passed, you're a true fan. If you conveniently change allegiances when the team starts to fall apart, then you're not.

"It takes neither courage nor intelligence to cheer for a team only when that team wins. The true test of a fan's mettle is the same as it is for a player: Were you there when you were needed?" - Ian Wilson

NFL:

A. 49ers, my oldest brother has been a fan for as long as I can remember.

B. Jets, my other older brother has been a fan for as long as I can remember.

MLB:

Braves, see A.

White Sox, see B.

NBA:

Celtics, see A.

Anyone who has siblings, especially older ones, can understand the hate. Also as far as the Jets go, I'm also a Dolphins fan so yeah there's added reason right there. Been a rough few years on that one...

Guest The Gecko
-Red Wings - beat the Flyers for the Cup, and have the nerve to call themselves "Hockeytown" (you'd think Montreal would claim that)

Canadian announcers always refer to it as Hockeytown, USA, which can be justified in my opinion.

But I agree with you, Montreal is the real Hockeytown, and this is coming from a Red Wings fan.