TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

The Ultimate Fighter

THAT was a face turn right there.

No matter how much of an ass Leben can be, you just don't push someone like that and not expect something to happen. The only reason he rampaged like that was because he didn't know where the fuck he was. All he knew was someone dumped water on him, he knew who it was, and he was going to find them and kill them.

This fight is going to freakin RULE.

Looks like Dana wasn't blowing smoke when he said these next few shows were going to blow us away. I was wondering how this episode would deliver without a fight, but goddamn, I can't wait for next week.

Actually, I knew this fight was coming eventually, but to have it come like this is still a suprise. I'm stoked.

Man, after the first 2 lackluster episodes this has become my favorite show. Leben and Josh did a huge double turn there. I can't wait until next week, and want to see Leben go all the way now.

KosCheck was at UFC 51 and Leben wasn't....DOES THIS MEAN ANYTHING?!?!?

:ph34r:

That was a billion times of awesome.

I'm more excited for this fight more than anything on Raw next week....and that's saying something considering the Batista turn is scheduled for Monday.

Dames

That was a billion times of awesome.

I'm more excited for this fight more than anything on Raw next week....and that's saying something considering the Batista turn is scheduled for Monday.

Dames

Batista heel turn? AND a Koschek/Leben fight? PLUS Jack Bauer?

What football?

Speaking of the Batista turn, being how I waited for TUF I had to catch the end of Raw, it was might suspicious for there to be a pile of garbage in the EXACT place where they fell. But hey, probably just a coincidence. It just looked funny is all, combined with Batista's reaction once he got up. For a big man who looks angry he doesn't have a very angry voice.

But enough of that.

....Did you forget that Batista technically already is a heel?

*'Tista spinebusters a PUPPY*

Dames

I thought it was a Rock deal, where there wasn't any official point where he turned face - he just did.

Whataver... just imagine I put "Official Batista face turn?" there instead...

Somehow, someway, Forrests bedroom window will be broken and his bed will break while he's asleep and he'll just snap and take out the whole house.

Count on it.

Forrest Griffin is the Zen Master. The Grin couldn't be miracled away.

F_griffin_profile.jpg

YPoV, this has remotivated me to post some impressions of the guys I know about.

So if Leben doesn't win, the show is over, right? I mean, he HAS to win. Leben kills Josh, it's the only way.

Yeah, well, we keep saying that about HHH...

Guest Jimmy Saint

I might rewatch the show tommorow but I dunno first thoughts on this episode were meh. None of them came across that well including the judges this week except for the guy on crutches. Leben had that coming he has been a fucking annoying cunt for the whole shows duration. Why should I start to feel sorry for the tool now ? they way I saw it Southworth went out there to ask them not to talk shit about Diego and Leben told him to go fuck himself and put his fists up, he then continued to over react from there. Southworth and Koshack both sunk down to his level when they poured the water on him though.

That shit could have been summed up in half an hour then given us the fight instead of dragging the thing out for a whole episode. Still liking the show but its faults are still glaring. Dana White himself just gets even more cringe worthy whenever on camera. Has he been compered to David Brent from The Office yet ? cos thats what I see with his desperate attempts to be down with the emplyees.

Hopefully the fight itself lives up to a two hour hype job.

Chris Leben - anti hero. You hate him cause he's an asshole. He follows his own path, he raises hell. He loves to fight, and that's why you can't totally hate him. He'll throw down with anyone at any time.

Josh and Bobby are two sides of Bret Hart. Josh is the clean-cut babyface. He did the right thing with Bobby in the weight cutting episode. He's a good guy... for the most part. Tonight we saw the other side. He's not 100% "good", as he'd like to portray. Leben challenged him and he turned it down. He's a bit of a coward in that regard.

Bobby is the whiner. He complains about everything. He'll talk trash, lie to your face, and try to smooth talk afterwards. This is something that Leben does, but Leben is upfront about it. He said the first night he'd try to stir shit up. Bobby (and Josh to an extent) is more insidious about it.

This brings us to WM 13 and the I Quit match. Which was the equivalent of tonights episode. Before this, Bobby and Josh were good guys. We saw hints of the "bad" side in the last episode, but I for one didn't dislike either guy. They didn't do anything to push it over the edge. Leben we've (or at least I) grew a lil more fond of for his willingness to lose the challenge so he can fight cause he's a strong fighter. He's still a cocky bastard and is abrasive, but there's something to admire about him. Tonight with the "Fatherless Bastard" from Bobby, that's the sharpshooter. He got Leben good. Leben got what he arguably deserved. He got told. The water was Bret leaving the hold on after the match was over. Completely unnecessary, it was only for their own personal pleasure. Leben going outside and leaving it be rather than giving into the taunts was akin to Austin not tapping out. He showed vunerability, but he also showed he was a man there. Josh and Bobby were cowards by pushing it. Double turn.

Yeah, but the benefit of watching real fights is having real emotions invested in it. If it was worked, we know that Leben would win because that's the way it's booked. So when he does win, there is no real surprised. The "real" puts the outcome in doubt, so there is a heightened sense of "oh shit". Each exchange is a possibility for the fight to be over. A work doesn't have that, the ending is structured.

Yeah, but the benefit of watching real fights is having real emotions invested in it. If it was worked, we know that Leben would win because that's the way it's booked. So when he does win, there is no real surprised. The "real" puts the outcome in doubt, so there is a heightened sense of "oh shit". Each exchange is a possibility for the fight to be over. A work doesn't have that, the ending is structured.

This is true, but a good wrestling match will still make you mark out...

I don't think its the same type of excitement. There is a bit more of a rush from watching a good MMA fight. It's primal.

You're right. Different kind of rush.

Lodune was at UFC 51 too, so that's a relief.

Just out of curiousity, did anyone side with Bobby and Josh in this one? I have been reading over at Sherdog, and many of them have. They're not particularly bright though, so whatever.

I think there's more hype for this fight than PRIDE 29.

Some more intelligent guys at UFC have sided with Koscheck & Southworth to the extent of saying Leben had bad karma coming to him for the BS he pulled towards Thacker, Swick & other guys on the show, as well as his overall selfish attitude ("I feel like I could be going home because I was cursed with a shitty team.").

Oh, quick profiles for:

Josh Koscheck

As far as wrestling credentials go, few have the collegiate achievements of Koscheck. A 4 time Division I All-American (4th in 1999, 2nd in 2000, 3rd in 2002 after sustaining a back injury, and a national title in 2001) at 174lbs. Relatively new to MMA with a 2-0 record, with a 3rd round submission win over Cruz Cachon and a unanimous decision over undefeated (yet equally untested) Luke Cummo. As has been hinted at on the show, Koscheck is uncomfortable with strikes both standing and on the ground, often coming across as a pure grappler. Also due to this, he's shown something of a problem finishing opponents, though his wrestling skills have translated to MMA well.

Chris Leben

Part of Team Quest, Leben doesn't have the wrestling pedigree of many of their members, which is especially evident with a pretty weak takedown defense. However, his heart & punching power alone often make up for those deficiencies. Was successful before againstjourneyman fighters, yet his biggest wins were his last 3: KO's over AKA's Mike Swick (also on TUF) & Victory Atheltic's Justin Davis, and then a TKO stoppage over former training partner Benji Radach (both Swick & Radach fancying themselves strikers). In between was a thorough decision loss to recent UFC vet Joe Doerkson. However, in both the Doerkson loss & Radach win, he showed tons of heart, fighting out of Doerkson's submissions & Radach's notoriously heavy hands.