TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

Rock leaving WWE?

Guest Trivia247

The word going around is that there may be some issues between Vince McMahon and The Rock. According to one source, The Rock is upset that Vince has yet to offer him a contract renewal. Although Rock is working in Hollywood filming movies, he's still under WWE contract.

The Rock's ability to use his name in movie credits is one of the items covered in his contract, so if both sides are unable to come to an agreement, Rock would be forced to use his real name.

Rock is also hinting to Vince that his appearance at WrestleMania 21 may not be a sure thing as originally thought, unless this dispute can be taken care of.

I'll be sure to post more details as they become available.

Reported by Steve Fox on 01.21.2005

Guest The Shadow Behind You

He should go the warrior route.

Legally change his name to The Rock.

He knows that all he needs is to be given a good role with some great dialogue and he'll be a star. He's already a star but he knows he can get to the next level if he is given the right material.

Good for him but a big blow for the WWE if the Rock cuts ties with them. Not that I can blame him.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

HOP is right on.

Why should Rock go out of his way to make appearances for the WWE? He did great business for the WWE while he was there, he put over everyone the WWE asked him too, he wasn't a bitch like Austin, Hogan, HBK and just about every other top guy that has come through the WWE. So where's the beef?

Like HOP said, the guy is extremely busy, if he does have any down time, why does he automatically have to jump on a plane to help out WWE?

And in terms of him failing and coming back, I just dont see that. If you look at his schedule, he still has like 5 pictures that he's tied to. Even if his career died after those movies (which it obviously wont), he still would have way more money than anyone in the history of pro wrestling. So why would he need to come back to get hurt and kiss HHH's ass?

I mean there's always the "mark for TV factor" that a lot of people in the spotlight suffer from, but I just dont see him ever coming back for anything more than a show here and there, no matter how his movie career goes.

I thought Rock purchased the trademark "The Rock" from Vince McMahon a few years back....I think it was in 2003 when I read that from 1 Wrestling.com....

Anyways if he does lose it...not a big deal.....he goes by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in some credits and during advertisments for his films....not all the time but sometimes..

He should go the warrior route.

Legally change his name to The Rock.

Or he could go the Meatloaf route and use initials along with his real last name.

Guest netslob
Rock is never on WWE shows. He hasn't contributed anything, ever. Who cares if he's gone? His time is over.

edited for accuracy.

but otherwise, right on, brother.

Guest cosbywasmurdered
Rock is never on WWE shows. He hasn't contributed anything, ever. Who cares if he's gone? His time is over.

edited for accuracy.

but otherwise, right on, brother.

The irony of you editing his quote is great considering past drama.

And the statement that Rock has never contributed anything is not only false but laughable.

I geuss all the millions of $$ that Vince made off him don't help the company at all, no siree. And he certainly didn't entertain the fans or make people want to buy tickets. I don't think he ever sold a single tshirt.

Guest netslob

yeah, except i didn't use my mod power to break into his post to do it...i just quoted it and edited it from there. see the difference?

And the statement that Rock has never contributed anything is not only false but laughable.

I geuss all the millions of $$ that Vince made off him don't help the company at all, no siree. And he certainly didn't entertain the fans or make people want to buy tickets. I don't think he ever sold a single tshirt.

i won't deny any of that is true. i'm saying, from my own personal stand-point, he's not entertaining and i do not enjoy the (rare) occasions on which he appears. that's all i am trying to say. it wasn't a personal slam on anyone who thinks otherwise. because that is only my opinion, i wasn't trying to state it as fact. it was just meant as a joke. my apologies if anyone was offended.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

yeah, except i didn't use my mod power to break into his post to do it...i just quoted it and edited it from there. see the difference?

i won't deny any of that is true. i'm saying, from my own personal stand-point, he's not entertaining and i do not enjoy the (rare) occasions on which he appears. that's all i am trying to say. it wasn't a personal slam on anyone who thinks otherwise. because that is only my opinion, i wasn't trying to state it as fact. it was just meant as a joke. my apologies if anyone was offended.

Nobody edited your post. I said it so you'd be quiet. But this isn't the place to discuss that.

Your comment just wasn't clear that it was your opinion and not something you were attempting to pass off as a fact. It's coo'

Guest netslob

Nobody edited your post. I said it so you'd be quiet. But this isn't the place to discuss that.

Your comment just wasn't clear that it was your opinion and not something you were attempting to pass off as a fact. It's coo'

ok, fine. just so we're clear.

we'll discuss the post-edit in private, via PM.

I thought Rock purchased the trademark "The Rock" from Vince McMahon a few years back....I think it was in 2003 when I read that from 1 Wrestling.com....

It was an interview with the Rock which turned out to be fabricated by one of their writers.

Thank god we have 1Wrestling.com.

If Rock leaves, I'll miss him, but in away, good riddance. He hasn't done anything of note in WWE in over two years. WWE was stupid for pushing him into movies in the first place. Now they don't have him as a draw. At least if Rock leaves the WWE might finally wake up and elevate someone new into that upper echelon of babyfaces that is vacant in WWE right now.

I think the biggest mistake was when Vince told Rock to just use WWE as "his backyard."

Obviously for financial reasons he's not going to bother with the WWE, but I dunno. If I was in that situation (and I'd probably stay single cause a good portion of relationships in entertainment and sports turn to crap), I'd probably be true to where I came from and try to still make movies and work with the WWE.

Again, as much as everyone loves him here, Triple H was able to do that in late 2003. It's just a matter of where your passions are...and Rock's passion isn't certainly wrestling anymore.

Guest Fook_Theta
Again, as much as everyone loves him here, Triple H was able to do that in late 2003. It's just a matter of where your passions are...and Rock's passion isn't certainly wrestling anymore.

Let us all be honest and say this is a reasonable thing for him to be. Just looking at the last couple months of threads spirited discussion has dropped a peg. I think more people are realizing discussing wrestling, a past-time that could easily play to the audience both online and elsewhere, just isn't going to get that kind of attention it so rightfully deserves. Not to say that all the internet marks could book at the level WWE should be booking at, but it does hurt things when just a few simple things could change the shows entertainment value by a tremendous way.

Anyway, Rock doesn't have the pull that I think everyone thinks he has. Even if he did it is possible that he is busy with other things, and being on tv at a worst shape than in years past could delute his standing as an Icon.

Edit: Oh and I forgot the fact that from everything I've heard, OVW is putting on better feuds and technical matches than WWE TV. Not least to mention Velocity is probably the best hour to spend watching WWE.

Guest Hass of Pain

It's funny that even after this situation where WWE pushed The Rock into movies and he left, they are now pushing John Cena, Kane and HHH into movies as well and if any of them generate any interest whatsoever at the box office (Which I highly doubt but I could see Cena having the most potential), then Hollywood is going to come knocking on the wrestlers doors and they'll bolt.

It seems like what WWE is trying to do is be prepared for when the next Rock breaks out so that instead of the star signing with a studio, they'll be forced to do a bunch of shitty WWE Films projects so that WWE can be the ones raking in all of the money from their stars' box office success.

I think people are a little tough on The Rock. His act was starting to get a little stale before he left wrestling, and if he would have stuck around for another few years he'd probably just be in the same role Austin was as a parody of himself fighting the same opponents year after excrutiating year.

I think they should keep The Rock off of TV except the occassional appearance until his acting career dries up as Arnold and Sly's did and then bring him back full time if he's up for it. That alone would be enough to get the gears in motion for a wrestling boom if the rest of the young stars are built up enough, and his return could be along the lines of Hollywood Hogan's breakout in WCW once he turned heel.

Rock was stale in 2002, but when he came back in early 2003...it revolutionized his entire character. People went from booing him back to cheering him again just because he did such a good job.

I can see Rock coming back for one last big run in about 10 years after movies, and then going back to movies again. It would be logical.

I think that the wrestling business is going to get worse over the next 5 years, but I think that by 10 years from now that it's back in a boom period. I think that has a lot to do with Rock...he'll be around if its' good, but if it's bad...fuck that shit.

Guest Tjhe CyNick
If Rock leaves, I'll miss him, but in away, good riddance. He hasn't done anything of note in WWE in over two years. WWE was stupid for pushing him into movies in the first place. Now they don't have him as a draw. At least if Rock leaves the WWE might finally wake up and elevate someone new into that upper echelon of babyfaces that is vacant in WWE right now.

But its not like Rock takes up a spot that could be used by someone on the roster. He's just brought in form time to time, and basically now just once a year to actualy wrestle. There's nobody on the WWE roster that can create the type of buzz he can.

I agree they need new stars in a major way, but Rock isn't preventing that from happening. A guy he used to work with every night is however.

Guest krazykat72
I think the biggest mistake was when Vince told Rock to just use WWE as "his backyard."

Obviously for financial reasons he's not going to bother with the WWE, but I dunno. If I was in that situation (and I'd probably stay single cause a good portion of relationships in entertainment and sports turn to crap), I'd probably be true to where I came from and try to still make movies and work with the WWE.

Triple H had a bit part in Blade( well more than a bit part, but a smallish one)

Rock has starred in his last 3 movies, took a supporting role in Be Cool and has several more starring vehicles lined up.

Let's not even compare the two.

The talk about passion is a joke. He has an insane schedule and a family.

Triple H's family is in wrestling. He has no children.

There's a world of difference between the two scenarios.

-Paul Jacobi-

Guest M. Harry Smilac

Triple H had a bit part in Blade( well more than a bit part, but a smallish one)

Rock has starred in his last 3 movies, took a supporting role in Be Cool and has several more starring vehicles lined up.

Let's not even compare the two.

The talk about passion is a joke. He has an insane schedule and a family.

Triple H's family is in wrestling. He has no children.

There's a world of difference between the two scenarios.

-Paul Jacobi-

Yea HHH stuck around because of his passion. :D

Funniest shit i've read all morning!

More like he was worried about hanging on to his spot.

It's funny how the general consensus when Rock is making a movie is ppl anticipating an appearance to promote it.

When HHH was making blade 3 the majority of ppl were looking at it completely backwards thinking we might get rid of HHH for a couple months.Of course I think he maybe took one week off the entire time if that.

I'd actually be glad if Rock was completely gone now because he needs to get out of this piece of shit company before they try to shit all over him any further.

Sure they can do it after he's gone ala Fake Diesel/Razor but it's not like that hurt Nash/Hall.

Get out Dwayne before they ask you to job to Maven or even worse,Orton.

Trips has more passion in pro wrestling than Rock does. You can't lie on that one. You've both said that "wrestling is his life", so I'd say that's his passion.

And actually, Triple H was gone a majority of house shows and sometimes TV for about 3 months or so, but he still was able to mix both into his scheudle.

I'm not surprised Rock is gone for now. It's all about the money.

Guest krazykat72

All my post said was this:

Rock had a far busier schedule than Triple H (very true)

Rock has a family outside of wrestling that is probably a priority of the WWE

Triple H had a relatively small part in Blade

Triple H's family is in the WWE.

Therefore, it is easy to see why Rock's not around and why Triple H is.

Does anyone realize how much money Rock is making doing this?

He doesn't need WWE at all. That's why his drop ins were nice.

It was him coming back to have fun. He's moved on to far bigger things.

Be happy for him.

-Paul Jacobi-

Guest Trivia247

Credit: PWTorch.com

As reported late last week, Vince McMahon and the Rock are currently struggling to come to an agreement about a contract renewal. The Torch is now reporting that the Rock wants to face Sting at WrestleMania and a 'special' card could be on the cards if the issue is sorted out.

With Steve Austin back in the fold, there is speculation that McMahon is showing the Rock he doesn't need him. Right now do not expect the Rock at WrestleMania unless he agrees terms with McMahon. There's no word on if Sting will appear either.

Trips has more passion in pro wrestling than Rock does. You can't lie on that one. You've both said that "wrestling is his life", so I'd say that's his passion.

If Triple H got the same roles and offers The Rock had- I think he'd be doing the exact same thing