TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The NFL Offseason/Pre-Draft Thread

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindeale...08106749990.xml

Garcia concluded the interview by fantasizing about a return to San Francisco, which recently hired Mike Nolan as coach.

"If [the Browns] decide to toss me aside, maybe I'll come ask coach Nolan if there's a position for me here," Garcia said. "Hell, I'll even play special teams."

*INSERT OWN GARCIA/SAN FRANCISCO JOKE HERE*

Well I guess I'll address the Eagles offseason plans now:

1) Free agents - UFA's this year include Trotter, Mayberry, Burgess, and Simon. Trotter will get resigned I imagine, I doubt Mayberry will be back with Shawn Andrews returning, I think they'll resign Burgess, and Simon will want more than he's worth so they'll let him go. Westbrook is a RFA, but they'll put a big tender on him.

2) Cuts - Mitchell is gone, his whole act during the last 2 weeks along with Greg Lewis' performances throughout the playoffs probably is going to send FraudEx packing. Hopefully they cut Simoneau.

3) Free agency - T.J. Houshmenzadah(sp?) would be a great pickup as a #2 WR depending on how much money he wants.

4) Draft - They've got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, so they can really improve some positions. One of the picks, preferably the first one, should be on a DT to replace Simon. I like Anttaj Hawthorne from Wisconsin for that pick. They also need to grab a power back as a complement to Westbrook, Ciatrick Fason comes to mind there. Also some LB and OL depth is needed.

Guest Vitamin X
Packers: Farve now expected to return

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Monday, February 7, 2005

News

Less than a week after Packers wide receiver Donald Driver opined that Brett Favre was headed for retirement, sources close to the Packer quarterback have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Favre is likely to return for the 2005 season. Former Green Bay GM Ron Wolf chimed in with his two cents, indicating he believes Favre will return as well.

Views

We haven't heard from Favre's pharmacologist, Warren Jensen, or the guy whose lawn Favre used to cut as a kid yet, and there's only a month left for random speculation before Favre is expected to announce his decision. Consult your favorite magic eight ball for more details.

I know Brett's had a tough past year and a half... Imagine your dad dying, your mom falling ill, your wife receiving news of having cancer, your brother-in-law dying, AND having to work away from your kids half the year and missing them growing up during the whole ordeal. But he said it himself that he would stop playing when he felt that he couldn't do it anymore, which is clearly not the case with him having only his 3rd 4,000 yard, 30+TD season in his entire career. You can see it in his throws. I honestly believe he has at least another year or two left in him.

Farve and the Packers would be fine if the real Ahman Green would please stand up.

He fumbles too much and a crippled ground game just forces Farve into bad situations where he is trying to do way too much. Forcing throws, bad decisions cause he's thinking big play.

Fix that defensive secondary up and figure out what the hell is wrong with Green then Green Bay will be fine. He gets good yardage but his fumbles come at the worse times and he doesn't break the tackles he used to break.

Perhaps Green Bay looks for another running back in the second or third round in case Green continues to have problems?

Guest Vitamin X

They already have two other quality running backs in Fisher and Davenport, Davenport is a starting quality, Ricky Williams (without the hippie marijuana smoking) style running back. They bring Davenport in to run between the 40's, and Fisher on third downs since (here's something interesting) Ahman Green has asthma and needs a back to spell him from time to time because of it. This is also why he tends to run harder when the weather is getting colder towards the end of the season, and also fumbles much less.

I think what happened last year is the Packers found themselves in a hole too early too often in games against good teams like the Eagles or Jags, or as you could see, the Vikings in the first round playoff game. You need to have at least a decent defense to get your running game going and to comeback from early deficits. This is usually why defense wins championships, since with a team that has a great offense and no D, they have to put points up on the ball first AND get the ball at the beginning of the second to win in shootouts.

Fix that defensive secondary up and figure out what the hell is wrong with Green then Green Bay will be fine. He gets good yardage but his fumbles come at the worse times and he doesn't break the tackles he used to break.

Green Bay really needs a shut-down corner to handle the Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Lavaerneus Coles, and Torry Holts of the conference. Harris can be a decent #2 corner, but I think they really missed McKenzie last year.

They definitley should take a shot at Ty Law, he'd be a great corner to cover those elite WRs in the NFC. Someone like Carlos Rodgers or Justim Miller could fall to them in the draft, I think they also need to address DT, because I don't think you can really depend on Grady Jackson for a full year.

Guest Failed Mascot

Best corners available in the draft are (in no particular order)

Adam(Pac-Man) Jones, Marlin Jackson, Carlos Rogers, Corey Webster, and Justin Miller.

FA CBs are

Charles Woodson, Gary Baxter, Ken Lucas, Fred Smoot, and most likely Ty Law will be cut as he probably won't restructure.

Patrick Surtain is also available via trade. Green Bay could probably get him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick as he costs somewhere near $9mill against the cap next year for the Dolphins. He's only 28 too.

Guest Vitamin X

Only problem is that I don't think Sherman wants to give up on the Ahmad Carroll project so early. He did do a hell of a job in the Rams Monday Night game as some of you may remember, but has sucked all the PI penalties away from Al Harris and added some more of his own. Harris is solid, but he doesn't have the speed to match up with a lot of the receivers in the conference.

The defensive line is of a larger concern to me, as Jackson is getting on in age, Hunt has been a tremendous underachiever, Kampman is a very average end, and most of you should know how I feel about KGB by now. I wish they could be rid of him since the ONLY thing he can do is pass rush, and usually gets manhandled by the more athletic tackles in the league, yet makes the second or third most money on the team behind Favre and either Sharper or Green (Hunt is also inexplicably up there- wonder why cheeseheads were so desperate to get rid of Sherman as GM?).

Guest Failed Mascot
Adam(Pac-Man) Jones, Marlin Jackson, Carlos Rogers, Corey Webster, and Justin Miller.

Antrell Rolle?

I knew I forgot one. Again, flu meds...flu meds.

According to John Clayton on ESPN.com, the Eagles will try to get a new deal with Corey Simon in the next few weeks. If they can't get a deal done, they'll franchise him. Simon reportedly told friends that he will not hold out if he is franchised and instead accept the one-year deal and participate in offseason workouts.

Guest Vitamin X

By the way I know we don't give a shit about the Pro Bowl, but the festivities around it could be fun. There's going to be a "Legends" flag football game to go with it, with:

Marcus Allen - Kansas City Chiefs

Steve Atwater - Denver Broncos

Blaine Bishop - Tennessee Titans

LeRoy Butler - Green Bay Packers

Mark Clayton - Miami Dolphins

Bryan Cox - New England Patriots

Roger Craig - San Francisco 49ers

Darrell Green - Washington Redskins

Michael Irvin - Dallas Cowboys

James Lofton - Oakland Raiders

Dan Marino - Miami Dolphins

Andre Reed - Buffalo Bills

Mike Singletary - Chicago Bears

Steve Young - San Francisco 49ers

Here are the Skills challenge participants:

Fastest Man

Ahman Green - Green Bay Packers

Joe Horn - New Orleans Saints

Andre Johnson - Houston Texans

Allen Rossum - Atlanta Falcons

Best Hands

Antonio Gates - San Diego Chargers

Tony Gonzalez - Kansas City Chiefs

Marvin Harrison - Indianapolis Colts

Chad Johnson - Cincinnati Bengals

Muhsin Muhammad - Carolina Panthers

Javon Walker - Green Bay Packers

Hines Ward - Pittsburgh Steelers

Kickers

David Akers - Philadelphia Eagles

Adam Vinatieri - New England Patriots

Strongest Man

La'Roi Glover - Dallas Cowboys

Shaun Rogers - Detroit Lions

Takeo Spikes - Cincinnati Bengals

Jeremiah Trotter - Philadelphia Eagles

On The Mark (QB Accuracy)

Drew Brees - San Diego Chargers

Peyton Manning - Indianapolis Colts

Michael Vick - Atlanta Falcons

More players could be added with time.

Guest Failed Mascot
There's going to be a "Legends" flag football

Michael Irvin - Dallas Cowboys

I'll laugh if he breaks his neck.

Guest Vitamin X
LeRoy Butler is a legend?

Absolutely. Only modern safety I can think of that could qualify more would be Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson. He was definitely up there, I believe he was selected to the NFL All-90's Team as well.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/211126_moore08.html

Go 2 Guy: Leaf's media class -- too little, too late?

Tuesday, February 8, 2005

By JIM MOORE

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER COLUMNIST

Because I still believe in him, the Go 2 Guy refuses to find irony in the fact that Ryan Leaf is enrolled this semester in a sports management class at Washington State called "Media Relations."

In one of the more memorable video clips from his NFL career, Leaf yelled at and got in the face of a San Diego Union-Tribune reporter.

Since then, aside from one article in "ESPN The Magazine," Leaf has not talked to the press.

Last year, when contacted by the Union-Tribune, Leaf said to the reporter: "Man, what the (bleep)! How'd you get my number? If the San Diego Union-Tribune calls me again ... Man, you fools are stupid."

Poke fun if you want, but for leading the Cougs to the Rose Bowl, Leaf gets a lifetime pass in this space.

Leaf's No. 16 jersey still hangs in a prominent place in my closet. I am able to overlook his being the worst bet I've ever made -- the Go 2 Guy actually wagered $50 that Leaf would be chosen No. 1 overall in the '98 NFL draft ahead of Peyton Manning. I was a little wide right with that one.

Leaf has returned to WSU, presumably hoping to meet NCAA requirements to be a graduate or student assistant coach. Leaf is also taking Glenn Johnson's Broadcast Management 481 class.

In the Media Relations class, taught by sports information director Rod Commons, Leaf is learning how to take control of an interview.

"There are things you do and don't do," Commons said. "You want to develop a reputation of being dependable and setting aside time for the media. We want to teach people how to make themselves look good, and how to get maximum positive exposure."

I suppose a cynical Dawg would say it's a little late for that, and his cynical Dawg friend would say that Leaf must be getting an F-minus in the class.

Commons talked about the course curriculum but would not comment about Leaf. So I have no idea if he's a model student or easily distracted by co-eds like I was, but either way, my Coug cap's off to him for coming back at 28 and pursuing his degree.

Chargers are expected to franchise tag Drew Brees according to CBS Sportsline.

Personally this is the right move, IMO. Drew still needed at least another year of proving himself before having the club commit to him long-term over Rivers.

Browns just released Jeff Garcia according to the radio.

Umm...ok, why?

So who is their quarterback? Do they have one?

If they sign Akli Smith and Ryan Leaf, I'll run out and buy a Browns hat.

Browns just released Jeff Garcia according to the radio.

Umm...ok, why?

So who is their quarterback? Do they have one?

If they sign Akli Smith and Ryan Leaf, I'll run out and buy a Browns hat.

I guess they got their eye on one of the rookie QBs coming out for the draft.

Guest Vitamin X

Or maybe they'll just try the Kelly Holcomb experience again.

Considering Garcia was the only good thing that came out of Cleveland's offense this year, this was somewhat silly but I guess it had to do with an attitude problem. Maybe the Dolphins would be interested in getting a look at him?

Or maybe they'll just try the Kelly Holcomb experience again.

Considering Garcia was the only good thing that came out of Cleveland's offense this year, this was somewhat silly but I guess it had to do with an attitude problem. Maybe the Dolphins would be interested in getting a look at him?

Like an earlier tidbit stated, Garcia wants back in San Francisco though Miami and some other teams (Maybe Arizona) have inquired about his services.

Well, they may make a run at Matt Hasselbeck or Drew Bledsoe.

Or perhaps even Kurt Warner.

Course I think Bledsoe might end up in Dallas until Romo is ready. But if Mularkey has his way, Bledsoe won't be going anywhere so that is getting interesting.