TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The NFL Offseason/Pre-Draft Thread

Shipp was supposedly in Denny Green's doghouse anyways for something.

Probably not liking that Green announced Smith the starter before training camp even started.

Then announcing to the press that he would not be a back-up anymore in Arizona, meaning either start me or trade me.

They should send him to Cinncinati for a fourth round pick or something.

only good QB can last in Buffalo. Buffalo has quite possibly the worst O-Line I have ever seen.

Well...

Did you know that Bledsoe was sacked less times last year than any year in his career?

AND...

that Willis guy ran for 13 TDs and 1100 yards despite not getting the starting job until week 8 (The Bills 7th game).

So they weren't that bad...

In fact...the emergence of a running game with Willis, Lee Evans catching 9 TDs as a rookie and a bunch of bombs, A Top 5 D in turnovers, sacks and yards, the best Special Teams in the league and for the first time in years...prodution from the TE position...

It kind of makes you think of how bad the QB position had to be to have all that...and still not make the playoffs.

Guest Vitamin X

I think Buffalo choking against Pittsburgh's JV squad in Week 17 had a lot more to do with that.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, and today's been a rather exciting newsday for the sports I'm interested in, at least.

Gibbs walks away from coaching again

February 23, 2005

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- Alex Gibbs has walked away from coaching again, giving up his job with the Atlanta Falcons.

The team announced Wednesday that Gibbs, 64, would become a consultant after serving this past season as assistant head coach and offensive line coach on Jim Mora's staff.

Gibbs will be replaced by Jeff Jagodzinski, who last season coached the tight ends. Clancy Barone, assistant offensive line coach under Gibbs, was promoted to tight ends coach.

Gibbs, one of the most respected line coaches in the game, previously left his job with the Denver Broncos because of exhaustion and depression. He coached the line on the team that won two Super Bowl.

After three years in semiretirement, Gibbs got back on the sideline last season. He joined Mora's staff in Atlanta.

This is significant because it could heavily impact Atlanta's offense next year. I have to admit the headline was a bit misleading at first, but it's still significant.

Guest Vitamin X

And in yet more news-

Dolphins release QB Fiedler, three others

February 23, 2005

MIAMI (Ticker) - Jay Fiedler succeeded Hall of Famer Dan Marino as quarterback of the Miami Dolphins. He won't get a chance to impress new coach Nick Saban.

With Saban starting to deal with life under the salary cap, Fiedler was among four players released Wednesday.

The Dolphins also released starting free safety Arturo Freeman, safety Shawn Wooden and reserve defensive end Jay Williams.

Saban left Louisiana State to become coach of the Dolphins and has control of personnel decisions. Inheriting a team more than $15 million over the salary cap limit, Saban has until next Wednesday to make the moves necessary to get the payroll at or under $85.5 million.

Fiedler, who had the daunting task of trying to replace Marino, who retired following the 1999 season, guided the Dolphins to three playoff appearances.

Fiedler, 33, lost his job as the starter to A.J. Feeley after struggling in last season's opener. He later regained the job, but then missed the final eight games of the season with a herniated disc in his neck.

In 75 career games, Fiedler has completed 1000-of-1704 passes for 11,737 yards with 68 touchdowns and 66 interceptions.

Freeman, 28, tied for the team lead with four interceptions last season, but was slated to make $3.3 million in 2005.

Williams, 33, spent the last three years with Miami and was to make $1.35 million in 2005.

I think Buffalo choking against Pittsburgh's JV squad in Week 17 had a lot more to do with that.

Who do you think did most of the choking?

The Bills would win games by like three TD's when Drew had like four interceptions. He was just bad, I'm surprised that people are seriously considering him for the HOF. He played very poor in that last game, they deserved to not make the playoffs, ditto with the Jags who had it all and dropped the ball at home to the Texans.

Anyways, I'm hoping Losman lives up to the hype. This team could be anywhere from 6-10 to 12-4 next year, all depending on the status of the QB, and of course, key injuries.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Tim Dwight was released by the Chargers - he wants to go to GB or Chi-town

Guest Vitamin X

By the way, just to further prove my point at how terrible Sherman's GM skills were, here was a ditty on the Chiefs releasing Vonnie Holliday and how he came to KC in the first place..

The Kansas City Chiefs released former Packers defensive end Vonnie Holliday after an injury-plagued season.

In two seasons with Kansas City, Holliday tallied only 5.5 quarterback sacks. Holliday, who missed seven games last season due to groin and abdomen injuries, failed to record a sack last season.

That's a far cry from his Green Bay days. While never a premier pass rusher, Holliday at least was a presence. In his final season in Green Bay, 2002, Holliday recorded six sacks. Amazingly, five of those came in one game, against Buffalo. In his five years in Green Bay, the 1998 first-round pick dropped the quarterback 32 times.

Green Bay decided against re-signing Holliday because of big investments in fellow defensive ends Joe Johnson and Jamal Reynolds , plus the impending free-agency a year later of pass-rushing defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila . Keeping Holliday would have tied up too much money at end. Meanwhile, defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt also was a free agent.

Jamal Reynolds was a tremendous first round bust, an underweight speed pass rusher like KGB, Joe Johnson had back to back season ending injuries before finally being released and gone from the NFL, and Cletidus Hunt has been a tremendous underachiever for the money paid to him. Seems like the only good thing that have come for the d-line in Green Bay has been Grady Jackson, and even his time is running out. Aaron Kampman hasn't been too bad, either.

Guest Failed Mascot

supposedly a Santana Moss for Laverneaus Coles deal is suppose to be done or close to done.

Guest Vitamin X
Seahawks release Jerry Rice

February 25, 2005

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) -- Jerry Rice was released by the Seattle Seahawks on Friday, perhaps signaling an end to the career of greatest receiver in NFL history.

The release was announced in a short statement from the team, which acquired the 42-year-old Rice from Oakland in a trade last season.

``We are grateful to Jerry and the role he was willing to fill for the Seahawks last year,'' coach Mike Holmgren said in the statement. ``He is one of the greatest players in the history of our game and we wish him nothing but the best.''

Rice is the career leader in receptions with 1,549; total yards with 22,895; and receiving touchdowns with 197, all far ahead of the closest pursuer. He also leads in total touchdowns with 207, 32 more than Emmitt Smith, who announced his retirement earlier this month.

Rice indicated after the Seahawks were eliminated by St. Louis in the playoffs last month that he still was interested in playing.

``I still feel like I have football left in me, a lot of football in me,'' he said.

However, it remains to be seen whether there is a team who might be interested in signing a 42-year-old, who began his career with San Francisco in 1985 and was on three Super Bowl winners with the 49ers, winning the Super Bowl MVP in 1989.

Rice's possible return to San Francisco has been a hot topic in the Bay Area, but new 49ers coach Mike Nolan has mostly discouraged such speculation. Earlier this week, Nolan acknowledged the club had discussed signing Rice so he could retire with San Francisco, but Nolan doesn't believe Rice would be able to play regularly with the Niners.

``It's my understanding in our discussions that Jerry still wants to test the market and see if someone is interested in having him on the team as a full-time participant,'' Nolan said Tuesday. ``If he wants to retire (with the 49ers), that is certainly something that we would be very open to, but it's my understanding that those aren't his desires.''

Rice was traded by San Francisco to the Raiders after the 2000 season and dealt to Seattle at the trading deadline. Last season, Rice had 30 catches for 429 yards, by far the lowest totals of his 20-year career other than in 1997, when he missed most of the season with a knee injury. His three touchdown receptions last season and two in 2003 were the lowest of his career for any full season other than his rookie year, when he also had three.

Among the other records he holds is receptions in 274 straight games, a streak that ended last season while he was still with the Raiders.

Just give it up, old man.

I'd like to see him go back to the Niners for one final year and then retire. If he wants another year, no point saying he shouldn't go.

The Niners could use a third wide receiver anyway and it would be more fitting to see him retire in that jersey than any other.

The Steelers are supposed to make some decision about Jerome Bettis this week. I think they want to go with another $1 million deal like he had this year or just cut him. Currently they are competing with ESPN for his services.

Guest Deadbolt
Seahawks release Jerry Rice

February 25, 2005

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) -- Jerry Rice was released by the Seattle Seahawks on Friday, perhaps signaling an end to the career of greatest receiver in NFL history.

The release was announced in a short statement from the team, which acquired the 42-year-old Rice from Oakland in a trade last season.

``We are grateful to Jerry and the role he was willing to fill for the Seahawks last year,'' coach Mike Holmgren said in the statement. ``He is one of the greatest players in the history of our game and we wish him nothing but the best.''

Rice is the career leader in receptions with 1,549; total yards with 22,895; and receiving touchdowns with 197, all far ahead of the closest pursuer. He also leads in total touchdowns with 207, 32 more than Emmitt Smith, who announced his retirement earlier this month.

Rice indicated after the Seahawks were eliminated by St. Louis in the playoffs last month that he still was interested in playing.

``I still feel like I have football left in me, a lot of football in me,'' he said.

However, it remains to be seen whether there is a team who might be interested in signing a 42-year-old, who began his career with San Francisco in 1985 and was on three Super Bowl winners with the 49ers, winning the Super Bowl MVP in 1989.

Rice's possible return to San Francisco has been a hot topic in the Bay Area, but new 49ers coach Mike Nolan has mostly discouraged such speculation. Earlier this week, Nolan acknowledged the club had discussed signing Rice so he could retire with San Francisco, but Nolan doesn't believe Rice would be able to play regularly with the Niners.

``It's my understanding in our discussions that Jerry still wants to test the market and see if someone is interested in having him on the team as a full-time participant,'' Nolan said Tuesday. ``If he wants to retire (with the 49ers), that is certainly something that we would be very open to, but it's my understanding that those aren't his desires.''

Rice was traded by San Francisco to the Raiders after the 2000 season and dealt to Seattle at the trading deadline. Last season, Rice had 30 catches for 429 yards, by far the lowest totals of his 20-year career other than in 1997, when he missed most of the season with a knee injury. His three touchdown receptions last season and two in 2003 were the lowest of his career for any full season other than his rookie year, when he also had three.

Among the other records he holds is receptions in 274 straight games, a streak that ended last season while he was still with the Raiders.

Just give it up, old man.

why just give it up? he can still play football and can still be a #2 WR. i could see the niners maybe taking him back

Guest Vitamin X

When you were the best there ever was, and the best there probably ever will be at one point, and you can't even manage to make the cut after playing in the #3 position on the fucking Seahawks nowadays, it's a sign that your time is probably over.

I would have been happy to never have seen Rice leave the Niners though. If he does a retirement tour with San Fran this year, it'd be nice. Otherwise he should do the old sign and retire with them.

So they unretired Steve Largent's number for Rice to play half a season? That's tough shit, man.

Wow, he looks nice and plastered doesn't he?

I hope that wasn't his only beer on the night, cause getting drunk on one MGD would be rather pathetic.

The girl is cute, despite the fact the red eye makes her look like a scheming she-demon.

Anybody watching the combine? I saw parts of it, it's a pretty interesting look at what goes on in coaches' minds while they're assessing the talent of the soon-to-be rookies.

Is Clarett there?

He said he was going to WOW everyone.

Is he even there or has he decided he'll WOW them with a video tape, slightly edited?

Guest Deadbolt
When you were the best there ever was, and the best there probably ever will be at one point, and you can't even manage to make the cut after playing in the #3 position on the fucking Seahawks nowadays, it's a sign that your time is probably over.

I would have been happy to never have seen Rice leave the Niners though. If he does a retirement tour with San Fran this year, it'd be nice. Otherwise he should do the old sign and retire with them.

So they unretired Steve Largent's number for Rice to play half a season? That's tough shit, man.

I can understand not wanting to tarnish a good career, however the guy still has the desire to play. And as long as HE wants to play, can play and someone wants him, why not keep going? There's older players then him in hockey, baseball and basketball. As long as he can produce why retire?

Anybody watching the combine? I saw parts of it, it's a pretty interesting look at what goes on in coaches' minds while they're assessing the talent of the soon-to-be rookies.

Is Clarett there?

Is he even there or has he decided he'll WOW them with a video tape, slightly edited?

Clarett was there. I think they said his 40 time unofficially was a 4.7 and earlier he had run a 4.8. I don't know when they put out official times.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2000397

The Oakland Raiders made the first step in helping their cap situation by restructuring the contract of quarterback Rich Gannon, taking his $8 million salary to the NFL minimum.

Gannon probably will retire this summer because of neck problems. By helping the Raiders, he can stay on the active roster until June and then be released. His new base salary will be $765,000, saving the Raiders $7.35 million.

With that deal, the Raiders are now $10.9 million over the cap. Charles Woodson's signing of his $10.5 million franchise tender did limit some of the Raiders flexibility after March 2 when they'll put in the Randy Moss trade. Moss has a salary of $7.25 million. Unless they restructure his contract, the Raiders will have to be more than $7 million under to put in his salary.

The Raiders can save $8 million by releasing veterans such as Frank Middleton, defensive tackle John Parrella, Ron Stone and tight end Roland Williams. They can also restructure some contracts to get under the salary cap.

The biggest challenge is getting that additional $7 million to fit in the Moss contract.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Perhaps frustrated by the continued inability to strike a long-term contract agreement with Orlando Pace, the St. Louis Rams have discussed with New York Giants officials a trade involving the perennial Pro Bowl left offensive tackle.

The talks have not yet moved to the substantive stage and it remains a long shot that the Rams would deal Pace, who they selected with the first overall pick in the '97 draft. But trades are back in vogue suddenly in the NFL, even deals including high-profile players such as Pace, so the Rams-Giants dialogue could eventually produce results.

New York is attempting to upgrade an offensive line unit that has been a problem area in each of the last two years. Dealing a player the stature of Pace would be a hard swallow for the Rams, who are also in the rebuilding stage on the offensive line, but could mean an end to some of the offseason headaches the premier tackle has provided in the past.

This marks the third consecutive year in which the Rams designated Pace a "franchise" player, and he failed to participate in organized offseason activities the first two years, and missed virtually all of training camp. Pace ended up signing the one-year qualifying offer for a "franchise" tackle each of those years.

The "franchise" marker this year carries a price tag of $8.4 million and St. Louis, as was the case in 2003 and 2004, would prefer Pace sign a long-term contract. But Pace does not have an agent, appears to be in no hurry to retain new representation, and could well boycott offseason workouts again this spring.

Representatives from both teams, here for the annual predraft combine sessions, declined to address the trade talks.

It is uncertain what kind of package the Giants could offer that might interest St. Louis management. Some league people have suggested that current New York left offensive tackle Luke Petitgout might be included. Others contend that the Giants would like to retain Petitgout and move him to right tackle if Pace was acquired.

Even coming off an uneven 2004 performance, Pace, 29, is universally regarded as one of the premier left tackles in the league.

Is Clarett there?

Clarett was there. I think they said his 40 time unofficially was a 4.7 and earlier he had run a 4.8. I don't know when they put out official times.

A 4.7 or a 4.8?

Usually running backs have times between 4.3 and 4.5...cornerbacks get at least 4.6.

Hell, there were some 304 pound linemen who last year ran a 4.7. Terry Johnson from Washington to be exact.

That certainly doesn't WOW me, except maybe, "Wow, that is very unimpressive."

He better do well in the shuttle drill or he will easily become the last running back on the whole board of 18.