TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The NFL Offseason/Pre-Draft Thread

He's going to NFL Europe first.

I don't know if the Bucs should cut him, Smith was never given a chance with the Bengals at all.

I mean, how can you draft a quarterback and not even give him a season or two at quarterback to learn?

Guest Failed Mascot

Akili couldn't pick up the Blitz or read NFL defenses. Monty Kiffin would need to work a miracle to make him a legit QB.

Guest Vitamin X

Monty Kiffin is the defensive coordinator. How would he have an impact on Smith being a better QB or not?

And by the way, Smith showed flashes of potential when he was given a chance, but was cut short by injury and the Bengals utter incompetence at running an organization (What? The team had a losing record again? LET'S DRAFT ANOTHER QUARTERBACK!)

Guest Failed Mascot

I just realised I put Kiffin and came in to edit it. I'm not going to do it now though

Guest Failed Mascot

From Len Pasquerelli's newest article

The Miami Dolphins already have informed two defensive starters from 2004, end Jay Williams and free safety Arturo Freeman, that they will be released once teams are able to make roster moves on Feb. 22. Both players, essentially, will be salary-cap casualties.

Hey Pats, feel free to sign Freeman and move Eugene Wilson back to his natural position of CB so he stop killing himself in SBs

Guest Frank_Nabbit

The Packers are looking to sign Sammy Knight since he started for Jim Bates and the Packers are cutting Mark Roman and possibly Darren Sharpner

The Chiefs could use a CB, so could the Vikings. Vitamin X already mentioned how the Pack could use Rolle. Who else? The Colts have enough cap space for him?

I'm not sure why the Jets would want Mason, he'd be a third option behind Moss and McCairens. Mason is old and busted, unless he takes a big pay cut I would stay away from him. Meaning the Raiders or Bucs will probably sign him.

Guest Vitamin X
The Packers are looking to sign Sammy Knight since he started for Jim Bates and the Packers are cutting Mark Roman and possibly Darren Sharpner

This wouldn't be too bad of an idea... I'm not too happy with them releasing Sharper though, definitely. He does seem to get the most useless few INT's a season, though.

I'm not sure why the Jets would want Mason, he'd be a third option behind Moss and McCairens.

1. Moss would fit in at the slot.

2. Mason used to play with McCareins.

3. Mason would the #1 in terms of traditional receivers. He'll take the focus off of McCareins and a slot Moss just by being out there.

4. In terms of yardage, Mason WOULD be their #1 receiver, regardless.

Guest El Satanico

If they get Mason S. Moss could move to the slot, where he'd probably make a bigger impact.

EDIT: Damn I was beat

Guest Failed Mascot
The Chiefs could use a CB, so could the Vikings. Vitamin X already mentioned how the Pack could use Rolle. Who else? The Colts have enough cap space for him?

No, since they keep spending all their cap on the Offensive side of the ball. Especially if they do end up franchising Edge. Nobody should be willing to give up 2 first rounders for a running back that has had 2 knee operations and is I believe on the wrong side of 30.

No, since they keep spending all their cap on the Offensive side of the ball. Especially if they do end up franchising Edge. Nobody should be willing to give up 2 first rounders for a running back that has had 2 knee operations and is I believe on the wrong side of 30.

Anyone would if it involved a 26-year-old running back who has had nearly five 1,000-yard rushing seasons, and is a three-time Pro Bowler in only six seasons.

EDIT: ...and if the Colts don't franchise Edgerrin, they'll likely trade him to the Dolphins for Surtain. Sure, they may not look too lovingly at the deal now, but it'll benefit them tremendously on the defensive side of the ball.

Guest Failed Mascot

I wasn't going to check his age, which is why I said "I believe". Still, he's had 2 major knee injuries and a damn good O-Line to work behind. Would you be willing to give up 2 first round picks for him?

Still, he's had 2 major knee injuries

He played a full season this year.

Would you be willing to give up 2 first round picks for him?

Not if they can get him in a trade, after the Colts realize Edgerrin is the weakest piece of their trio of cap-eaters. No one would use their picks (i.e. Dolphins and their 2nd pick) on James if the Colts "franchise" him, which to me is the only reason the Colts are doing it in the first place.

Guest Failed Mascot

The teams that need a good RB this season can grab one in the first few rounds of the draft this year or nab Shaun Alexander who it appears won't be franchised because Matt Hasselback will be.

Guest Failed Mascot

according to the Washington post Laveranues Coles is expected to be released tommorow. Looks like the WR market is going to be over crowded this year.

It's a shame Bradway hates giving money to recievers. He has to pick up one, whether it'd be Moss through trade, Burress, Mason, Coles, Houdskfjslkfjsd, Porter, or Patten (is he the FA or is it Givens)? This team needs one more reciever.

Guest Failed Mascot

Both David Patten and David Given are FA. Only thing is that David Patten is an UFA whil David Givens is a RFA who will most likely be offered the medium tender...meaning if another team wants him they have to give up their first rounder this year to get him.

Guest Failed Mascot

I don't know. Patten is one of Brady's favorite recievers but the Pats have such a deep WR core that they really don't need him and could use the cap space towards other areas. Who knows really.

I thought Cena would be all over this Coles thing. Coles had built a great rapport with Pennington before he jumped to the Skins. Coles/McCairens/Moss, that's pretty solid. Plus what you guys mentioned about putting Moss back in the slot.

Coles is damaged goods unless he gets his toe fixed. When washington signed Coles in '03 he was unbelievable for about 6-8 games. Then he injured his toe and lost speed, accleration, and the ability to get seperation, and became just another receiver. At the end of the season Coles had the option to get surgery on the toe to get it fixed, but he opted to use rest instead, and predictably the toe injury remained and stayed with him for the entire 2004 season. According to Coles, his doctor told him that with the surgery needed, it is a 50/50 chance he will never be as fast or have the acceleration he once did if he gets the procedure done, that is why he opted for rest instead of surgery. With that being said, if he just chooses not to get the toe fixed he will never be the same WR he was with the Jets and early part of the '03 season with the Skins.

Coles and Pennington had great chemistry, but the way he left, I'd rather pickup a TJ H, Porter, or Mason. He talked trash when he left, and left us high and dry without a true number one reciever. If he does decide to comeback though, it would be a nice acquistion, but he's not number one.

Any reciever that we pick up out of the ones I mentioned with the exception of TJ Hdfslfjdkslfj, will be the number one reciever, so this needs to be done so Santana can go back to the slot and be even more dangerous.