TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The NFL Offseason/Pre-Draft Thread

Guest sek69

Memo to Burress: When you miss half the season with an injury then drop almost everything thrown at you in the playoffs, don't bitch about not feeling part of the offense.

The Steelers are focused on signing Ward to a long term deal, and they're deep enough at WR to afford to let Plax be someone else's team cancer.

I was just chatting with a friend about the Randy Moss rumors. I was listing a bunch of teams that were supposedly after them, and he said Moss should go to the Eagles. We both had a laugh about that. Then I thought about Moss going to the Pats.

Randy Moss. On the Patriots. This thought terrifies me.

Patriots would never hire Moss, period. A)Not a team player and B)Would ruin the team chemistry they've built since 2001. That and guys like Troy Brown, Deion Branch, David Patten, and David Givens have all performed solidly.

Patriots would never hire Moss, period. A)Not a team player and B)Would ruin the team chemistry they've built since 2001.

Isn't that what people thought about Corey Dillon. All he did was set team records and broke his own personal best mark. With Brady, Dillon, Moss, Bellicehck and that D, the Pat's could win the next 3 or 4 SB's. If he did go to NE it would be a very scary thought

Isn't that what people thought about Corey Dillon. All he did was set team records and broke his own personal best mark. With Brady, Dillon, Moss, Bellicehck and that D, the Pat's could win the next 3 or 4 SB's. If he did go to NE it would be a very scary thought

Corey Dillon was a malcontent but not one that was beyond repair. I think Moss's actions late in the season pretty much typify who he is and after seven years in the league, I dont see him changing.

Corey Dillon acted like a jerk on a losing team. Moss acts like a jerk on a team that is in the playoffs and winning.

Dillon had hope and was more interested in just winning than stats by this point. He was very much like Harrison, just wanted to prove he was still useful.

What does Randy have to prove that will effect him? Teams don't seem to mind his attitude so it's not like he needs to change it.

Guest Smues

I just heard that Erik Crouch signed with the Chiefs. They said he's going to be a safety, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm fully expecting him to ask to play qb, be refused, and retire again.

RB Tatum Bell looks to be the potential starter in Denver.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...2672122,00.html

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson said QB J.P. Losman could be the starter next season.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...330/1007/SPORTS

WR Eric Crouch was signed as a S by the Kansas City Chiefs but will likely be sent to NFL Europe.

CB Marcus Trufant had surgery on his right shoulder. Seahawks Director of College Scouting Scot Mcloughan could head to San Francisco to head the Team Personnel Department.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seah...698_hawk25.html

New England Patriots waived S Antwan Harris.

Guest Failed Mascot
New England Patriots waived S Antwan Harris.

Should have kept him and waived Poteat going into the Super Bowl.

Goodbye, Plaxico.

So, hopefully the Steelers can find someone in the draft or in FA to replace him, because for the love of God, they're not gonna be able to do it with ARE and Ward alone. If they're content with just those two, welcome to Philadelphia Eagles territory. We should just pick up Freddie Mitchell and be done with it.

Guest Vitamin X

I bet Mike Williams will fall in the draft pretty far. I have a feeling that NFL coaches aren't going to be too keen on taking a receiver that's been a full year out of football. Maybe the Steelers could take a look in trading up and getting him and developing him?

Anyone know who looks to be a FA in this upcoming offseason? I know Green Bay has both tight ends and starting guards set to become FA's, might be some more on the defensive side of the ball I'm not aware of. I'm just waiting for that wonderful day KGB's contract will expire and can get rid of him. Stupid move on Sherman's part to let Vonnie Holliday go and to sign KGB to a big money contract. Thank goodness he isn't GM anymore.

The thing is, the Steelers moved up to take Troy in 2003, and that was the first time they've ever moved up in the draft. I can't see them going more than 10 spots, which puts them at 19; even that is a stretch. It'd be nice for them to franchise Plax and trade him for the 19 spot if Mike Williams fell, however.

I bet Mike Williams will fall in the draft pretty far. I have a feeling that NFL coaches aren't going to be too keen on taking a receiver that's been a full year out of football. Maybe the Steelers could take a look in trading up and getting him and developing him?

I believe he's kept himself in playing shape, so it's not like he took the Maurice Clarett route in his down-time. The dude's a stud, so I can't see him tumbling down the board much.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah one thing is keeping yourself in playing shape, it's another altogether to actually be on the field and with the team during practices, workouts, and team meetings. Tons of players stay in shape but come back and need a lot of time to get adjusted to the level they were at before, and this would be adjusting to a whole other level, so who knows.

Why Mike Williams?

Plenty of other very talented wide outs in the draft with size and speed. Not to mention many who will be sitting around in the second/third round to be selected.

Is wide out the Steelers primary need?

Plenty of other very talented wide outs in the draft with size and speed. Not to mention many who will be sitting around in the second/third round to be selected.

Who, for example? Honest question, I'm not as knowledgeable about college football as I'd like to be.

As I see it, the Steelers need ILB, MAYBE RT (but they have Max Starks, who should at least be given a chance before labeled a bust), maybe NCB, but definitely reciever. If Burress is gone, they need a deep threat to compliment Ward, and I don't think Randle El is that guy.

Taylor Stubblefield is a sleeper WR IMO. Very solid college numbers(similar to Braylon Edwards and Mark Clayton in yards and had 18 TD. I'd call him a late 1st(at best) but more likely early 2nd to mid 2nd round pick. Chris Henry is another solid option but is known as a somewhat immature person.

Guest sek69

Who, for example? Honest question, I'm not as knowledgeable about college football as I'd like to be.

As I see it, the Steelers need ILB, MAYBE RT (but they have Max Starks, who should at least be given a chance before labeled a bust), maybe NCB, but definitely reciever. If Burress is gone, they need a deep threat to compliment Ward, and I don't think Randle El is that guy.

The Steelers have Lee Mays who's pretty good but he's been stuck on special teams detail as the #4 WR on the chart.

I don't even know why anyone would even consider Max Starks anywhere near bust territory. He didn't play much because none of the OL missed a play until the Buffalo game. They had Starks in the Fat Guy Formation in goal line situations so they found a way to get his 6'8 frame in the offense.

I'm figuring the Steelers are going to lose Burress and Bell, and maybe a few other scrubs, but the Rooneys always find a way to sign people for less money than they are worth.

Burress is pretty much gone, but I have a feeling Kendrell may come back because nobody else will sign him.

I don't really like Lee Mays, however. He's always seemed gutless to me; always avoids contact and short arms a lot of balls. However, perhaps if forced into duty, he'd be serviceable.

Zamir Cobb also could be a surprise, but I'm really hoping they draft someone anyways. I'm worried about Mays and Cobb's deep threat capabilities, and that's what we need; Hines is the best posession reciever in the NFL, but we need a deep threat to compliment him. Burress doesn't realize that, clearly. 4-5 deep balls to him a game isn't enough.

A mock draft I enjoyed had Brandon Browner (CB, OSU, 6'4", 202, 4.4) going to the Steelers - receiver may be a priority, but the Steelers are strapped by a lack of options and should move to shore up another position.

I may not understand the way NFL Europe works, but if a team was worried about Mike Williams being away from football for a year couldn't they just draft him, have him play overseas for the summer and then bring him back in time for training camp? Granted he would be a little tired, but maybe just have him play for half the year there or something like that to get in "game shape"?

Miami just hired both the O-Coordinator and the WR Coach from Minnesota, anyone think it might be a prelude to some Moss to Miami rumors?

Guest Vitamin X

I think if anything Moss would probably want to be as far away from his old coaches as possible. He needs a totally unfamiliar environment to revitalize his attitude.

In October, Warren paid more than $130,000 in back child support. But he has failed to make the $5,000 monthly payments since then, said Emily Langlie, a spokeswoman in the U.S. attorney's office.

Prosecutors wanted continued payments as a condition of Warren's release, but his attorney, John Wolfe, said Warren is unemployed and not capable of earning enough to stay current on child support.

Oh boo-fucking-hoo, get a job you sack of shit.

Guest Vitamin X

Man, no matter how you look at it, the child support system in this country is FUCKED. I won't go on a rant about it (at least not yet), but $5,000 in monthly payments is quite a lot to make, especially with a job with as little security as the NFL.

Just out of curiousity....what kind of child needs $5000 a month anyway?

More like Mommy needed a new big screen tv and a fur coat.

I dislike him for not paying a dime. Kid needs something for crap sake.

Guest Vitamin X

Lewis sent to federal assraping prison for 4 months..

ATLANTA (Ticker) - Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis was sentenced in federal court Wednesday to four months in prison for using a cell phone to try to set up a drug deal.

Lewis had reached a plea bargain agreement with federal prosecutors in October, allowing him to serve a short prison sentence of no more than six months after the NFL season was complete. Prosecutors agreed to drop more serious drug conspiracy and attempted cocaine possession charges.

Lewis, 25, also will spend two months in an Atlanta halfway house and complete 500 hours of community service following his prison term, which could begin as early as Friday, February 4.

"I'm truly sorry for what I did," Lewis said to U.S. District Judge Orinda Evans.

Lewis' lawyer spoke briefly to reporters after sentencing.

"We believe this is a fair and just resolution both for the government and Jamal," Garland said.

After the plea agreement in October, Lewis was suspended two games without pay and fined an additional two weeks by NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue. Lewis forfeited $761,000 as a result of the suspension and fines.

Lewis, who in 2003 had the second-best single-season rushing total in NFL history, was accused of conspiring to distribute cocaine for a childhood friend in June and July 2000. He was indicted on one count of conspiracy to intentionally possess with the intent to distribute cocaine. A second count charged Lewis with using a cell phone to carry out the conspiracy.

Lewis was the second star player of the Ravens to face serious charges in Atlanta. In 2000, perennial Pro Bowl middle linebacker Ray Lewis (no relation) was charged with two other men in the murder of two men in a street fight.

Ray Lewis pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice in exchange for the murder charges being dropped. He was fined $250,000 by the NFL.

The charges on Jamal Lewis date to two months after he was selected by the Ravens following his junior year at Tennessee. He played for Tennessee from 1997-99 after graduating from Douglass High School in Atlanta.

Jamal Lewis was suspended four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy in 2001.

In 2003, Jamal Lewis became the fifth running back in NFL history to run for 2,000 yards in a season, falling 39 shy of Eric Dickerson's record of 2,105 yards set in 1984. He eclipsed the single-game rushing record with 295 yards against Cleveland on September 14.

As a rookie in 2000, he rushed for 1,364 yards to help the Ravens to their first Super Bowl title. He missed the entire 2001 season with a torn right ACL suffered in practice.

Well, that'll teach me to use cell phones again when setting up drug deals. Any non-NFL player would more than likely receive a much worse sentence.