TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The 2005 Oscar Nominees

I liked it a lot but found it to be a bit too manipulative.

Apparently Depp, Winslet and Marc Forster worked really hard to make sure it wasn't a CRY NOW picture like Spanglish was.

It's a nice little movie and Depp was great

Yeah, I read in one of the more recent Entertainment Weekly's that they tried their best to keep everything real and not delve into melodrama. Which is awesome, I think, and their effort really showed.

Its a shame there isn't a nomination for Freddy Highmore... that kid was just astounding in Finding Neverland.

And may I just state that No Sky Captain for visual effects or Polar Express for animated feature? Bah!

Murray plays very hard to get. Sofia Coppola tried for a ridiciously long time to get him to do Lost. He's very picky and very demanding- I think he has an inflated self worth of himself.

Where was this during Larger then Life?

Plus there were the reports of clashing on Charlie's Angels- he's never really come off as a nice guy.

He could've looked gracious or applauded rather then looking like his life was over.

Agreed with Yuna on the boy who played Peter- he was good

I'm still confused a little miffed at Foxx getting a supporting nod for Collateral (I would've liked to see Carradine in his spot), but then again, Spacey won his supporting actor Oscar playing Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects, and he was the focus of that movie.

I guess in the latter's case, it was an ensemble cast, so though Spacey was the focus, he 'supported' the rest of the group? I don't know. Foxx was good, but that nomination is bullshit.

Usual Suspects is an ensemble while Collateral is Foxx and Cruise. Foxx and Cruise were both lead actors.

I think it was a shady thing for the people to do and he didn't deserve the nomination anyway

Guest Vitamin X

It's so Foxx can come away with both Oscars, probably. And he can rub it in the face of fellow In Living Color alumni Jim Carrey.

Guest El Satanico
I will give her credit for making sex with Billy Bob seem enjoyable...that's gotta be a hard thing for a woman to do...

That sex didn't seem enjoyable, it was sex between two desperate lonely people trying to make a human connection.

There was nothing remotely erotic or sexy about that sex scene. It was two lonely desperate people with issues engaging in ugly angry sex, and it was more depressing than anything. It was hard to watch not enjoyable.

I will give her credit for making sex with Billy Bob seem enjoyable...that's gotta be a hard thing for a woman to do...

That sex didn't seem enjoyable, it was sex between two desperate lonely people trying to make a human connection.

There was nothing remotely erotic or sexy about that sex scene. It was two lonely desperate people with issues engaging in ugly angry sex, and it was more depressing than anything. It was hard to watch not enjoyable.

That's exactly what I said

"Can you make me feel goooood..."

Plus there were the reports of clashing on Charlie's Angels- he's never really come off as a nice guy.

He could've looked gracious or applauded rather then looking like his life was over.

Agreed with Yuna on the boy who played Peter- he was good

On the Golden Globes, when Aviator won for best picture, I remember Depp helping the director Martin Scorsese out of his seat.. I thought that was just such a nice gesture.

In comparison to these comments of Murray's tantrum, its even more of a kind gesture.

Just thought to throw that out there.

Guest Flyboy
Uma Thurman got robbed.

David Carradine got robbed.

Quentin Tarantino got robbed.

Jim Carrey got robbed.

I'm not surprised by any means, though.

I know others have already stated this, but I feel the need to back their opinions up: Eternal Sunshine got fucked with no vaseline. Why does the Academy hate Jim Carrey so?

Loss and Jingus just summed it up best.

Heaven forbid they nominate an innovative director like Tarantino or Michael Gondry.

What did Hackford do with Ray that merited a nomination over one of those two?

And I haven't heard too much about Vera Drake; I don't think it was ever released here. How was that?

Ewan Mcgregor should have won for Moulin Rouge if not for the "damn...our fault" award to Denzel.

Russell Crowe should have won for A Beautiful Mind if not for the 'Oh Crap! What if he beats up our producer? attitude'. At least I think that was same year.

It cost him a nomination for Master & Commander too.

Guest El Satanico

I love Kill Bill, but other than tech or music awards it didn't deserve to be nominated.

Guest Askewniverse

Somebody actually complained about The Passion of the Christ not getting a Best Picture nod? In my opinion, it wasn't anything special. I wouldn't even consider giving it a Best Picture nomination.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, on the other hand, was a damn good movie and deserved a Best Picture nomination.

the only thing more irritating than watching the oscars is listening to people bitch incessantly about the oscars as if they meant something.

I think Jamie Foxx can shed the comic rap easier than Jim Carrey mainly because he was never THAT well known of a comedian. Carrey is one of the biggest comic draws ever, and that hurts the way people perceive him when it comes to more serious roles. When I saw Foxx in Collateral I had no trouble with his previous funnyman image, whereas when I see Carrey is something like Eternal Sunshine I can't help but think "Why is Jim Carrey in something like this?"

Bob, you are seriously overhyping Mean Girls. It was a nice little teen chick flick, maybe had slightly more to say than others, but it was really just a very toned down Heathers with most of the bite removed for mainstream consumption.

Of all places it was on Cold Pizza that I heard some insight into the Giamatti snub. Woody Paige mentioned his dad was Bartlett Giamatti, the commish of baseball that banned Pete Rose. I was shocked to hear that actually, no idea. Woody pondered if his dad banning Rose had something to do with it. Who knows.

I really don't think enough actors care that a guy's dad banned Pete Rose. I think Woody Paige was trying to tie some sort of sports connection around all this.

I personally have never seen Heathers but I know people said Mean Girls is this generation's Heathers. The director of Mean Girls' brother did Heathers too. The original script by Tina Fey was much darker and was headed for an R but she understandbly had to clean it up. I think Tina should've been able to write something better then Lindsay Lohan's inner monologue when she talks about facing Carolyn Kraft in the Mathlete thing but that's my only real complaint about the movie.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

I refuse to wade through this entire thread to see what I'm about to say no doubt reiterated a million times over.

Closer got fucked. Taylor fucking HACKford over Mike Nichols?! Bullshit! And fuck Ray for Best Picture too!

Eternal Sunshine also got fucked. HARD.

Ewan Mcgregor should have won for Moulin Rouge if not for the "damn...our fault" award to Denzel.

Russell Crowe should have won for A Beautiful Mind if not for the 'Oh Crap! What if he beats up our producer? attitude'. At least I think that was same year.

It cost him a nomination for Master & Commander too.

I like Ewans( I am almost sure that I am spelling his name wrong) better, plus Russell won it for that horrible fucking Gladiator shit, so he should be excluded.

The scene started off as a couple of lonely people just trying to get off, as seen by the way he was fucking her the same way that he fucked the prostitute earlier in the movie, but as the scene went on it became something more. That coupled with the symbolic "bird in a cage" imagery made this scene very pointiant.

And yeah, the movie still kinda sucked.

Rip, I got it!

I personally found Halle Berry's character annoying as all outside, but hey the Academy saw things differently...I still say politics, but whatever...

Rip, I got it!

And if you notice, her left titty only jiggled 19 times while the right one jiggled 31 times, meaning that to doing the "right" thing will happen more often than anything else.

the only thing more irritating than watching the oscars is listening to people bitch incessantly about the oscars as if they meant something.

This is one of the bigger movie award shows though, which award show do you suggest having any credibility?

This is one of the bigger movie award shows though, which award show do you suggest having any credibility?

Teens Choice Awards.