TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Spring Training

The only concern was if Bartlett was so bad defensively they didn't want the left side of the IF to be two inexperienced players defensively, with not a great defensive 1B in Morneau, who proved he does an adequate at 1B. Bartlett's been fine at SS, and Cuddyer by all accounts has looked very good at 3B.

The only concern was if Bartlett was so bad defensively they didn't want the left side of the IF to be two inexperienced players defensively, with not a great defensive 1B in Morneau, who proved he does an adequate at 1B. Bartlett's been fine at SS, and Cuddyer by all accounts has looked very good at 3B.

Baseball Prospectus sees Bartlett as an above average fielding shortstop. He has a strong arm, and should handle shortstop well. He will be a better player than Guzman this year, I guarantee.

He didn't play well his short time in majors last year, that was likely nerves though.

I'm glad he won the position, has this has a great chance to be the Twins best offensive team if they can remain healthy.

He didn't play well his short time in majors last year, that was likely nerves though.

I'm glad he won the position, has this has a great chance to be the Twins best offensive team if they can remain healthy.

That was twelve at bats, and 22 defensive innings. Hardly an indicator of anything really.

I don't know much about the minor leagues, so any help on Andy Phillips could be helpful. Hes havin an absolutely great spring, batting .344 with 4 HRs and 14 RBIs. I know its spring training, but hes looked good.

And about Tanyon Sturtze, 14 innings, one run. :D

Phillips has been in the Yanks system for a while now, he's already 28 years old! He had a good year at Columbus last year, good .avg and OPS, easily the best year of his minor league career. I'd like to see him catch on as a util player, they need some infield depth.

And I love Tanyon Sturtze, predicting a big year for him in middle relief with an occasional spot start. His ability to start will come in handy if/when Brown and Wright miss starts.

I don't know much about the minor leagues, so any help on Andy Phillips could be helpful. Hes havin an absolutely great spring, batting .344 with 4 HRs and 14 RBIs. I know its spring training, but hes looked good.

Phillips dominated AAA Colombus last season, hitting .316/.386/.560. He lost most of 2003 to injuries. He's got the goods at the plate, even if he played slightly above his head last year. His primary position is first base, but he can play second in a pinch. He could easily provide a solid platoon partner for Tino Martinez this season.

Unless Tino or Giambi fall off the planet, he won't make the team. Although I'd like to see him as the backup 2nd baseman, as I don't think the Yankees have one.

Speaking of the Twins. Long time PA announcer Boby Casey passed away Sunday morning. He's an icon up here, and will be greatly missed. By all accounts a true gentlemen.

Also, major props to Alex Rodriquez for calling Casey this weekend. In all the talk of selfish players like Barry Bonds, and Mark McGwire. Nice to hear of one of the games best players, taking time to call a man on his death bed.

Guest LooneyTune

Question regarding the Yankees 1st base situation...

Is Jason Giambi going to be starting at 1st now with Sierra and Martinez splitting DH time, or is Tino playing first with Giambi at DH and Sierra in the pinch hitter siutation (or maybe another situation)?

How did A-Rod know the guy?

He had heard Casey do Twins spring training games as a kid, and made a promise to meet Casey when he reached the big leagues.

Question regarding the Yankees 1st base situation...

Is Jason Giambi going to be starting at 1st now with Sierra and Martinez splitting DH time, or is Tino playing first with Giambi at DH and Sierra in the pinch hitter siutation (or maybe another situation)?

Basically, things are over crowded in the Yanks lineup. Bernie is NOT going to play CF every day, so he'll DH about 50-60 games. Giambi and Tino will split time at first, with Giambi DHing when Bernie plays CF. When Tino isn't playing, or Giambi isn't playing, Rube DHs. Thats one of the reasons in my opinion that getting Beltran was near impossible. No room.

Guest LooneyTune

Who's splitting time with Bernie, Bubba Crosby? Damn too many players to juggle.

Eh, He'll get SOME starts, but the option I forgot is Matsui playing CF when Bernie sits, and Sierra can play in left.

It's an option, but I don't see it happening much. Nothing wrong with Matsui in center, but they Sierra in left is a bad idea. The best hope is Crosby hitting well enough to justify a start or two a week.

-Ken Harvey was sent down to AAA Omaha, giving Calvin Pickering the DH job. Look for a monster season from Pickering.

-The Brewers released PH/RP Brooks Kieschnick. Kieschnick has a 4.59 career ERA, and a .444 career slugging percentage. I have to believe he can help a team somewhere.

-The Brewers released PH/RP Brooks Kieschnick. Kieschnick has a 4.59 career ERA, and a .444 career slugging percentage. I have to believe he can help a team somewhere.

I hope it's the Astros, so that he can confound Phil "aw durn I forgot how to do a double switch" Garner

The Devil Rays acquired Michael Restovich off waivers from the Twins. Restovich deserves to start until Baldelli returns, in my opinion.

The Cubs received Luke Hagerty back from the Florida Marlins.

The Phillies sent Marlon Byrd to AAA in an attempt to piss me off, apparently. It's amusing that I'm upset because I get to watch a player live. It's just that when I saw Byrd in 2002, I knew he wouldn't be there for long. I was wrong.

Ryan Howard to AAA, also.

That I saw coming, and since Howard barely played at AAA and Thome's blocking him, that's not too upsetting.

The worst part about this is that Marlon Byrd is at AAA so the Phillies can carry Jose F'n Offerman. Please Ed, if you don't want Byrd, at least send him somewhere like Milwaukee or Baltimore, where he can get a fair shot.

I am amused they are only carrying four outfielders when one is Kenny "I have been healthy for all of 2 days this spring" Lofton.

I am hoping Lofton's hamstring nags him all year so Michaels can get 500 ABs to see what they have there. The whole time they have been talking about Lofton and Byrd competing for the job, it was irritating how they never mentioned the best option in Michaels.

Twins option Terry Tiffee to the minors. Meaning they have 4 players who can catch. Although, LeCroy is about has good as any of us behind the plate.

Mauer's expected to only 2-3 games early behind the plate. Once he's healthy enough, expect Tiffee to on the roster again.

Even though Rube IS batting .373 against Wells, it totally sucks he doesn't get to start tomorrow.

And while I'm at it, I really hope the Yankees totally blow out the Sox early, or the Sox totally blow out the Yankees early, as I REALLY wan't to watch Mania in some way of peace.