TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

Carlos Boozer to the Lakers

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3410834

A crazy season of turmoil and upheaval in Los Angeles might be taking another turn.

Fox Sports Net's Jack Haley is reporting the Lakers will trade Vlade Divac, Caron Butler and Devean George to the Utah Jazz in exchange for big man Carlos Boozer, pending league approval.

Trade rumors swirled around the Lakers all through All-Star Weekend in Denver, particularly forward Lamar Odom. One report Sunday said Odom had been offered to the Kings for All-Star forward Peja Stojakovic. And another said that Odom was dangled to Utah in a Boozer trade.

But the Los Angeles Times reported Monday that the Lakers said Odom had not been discussed in any trade talks.

Trade rumors have swirled around both Carlos Boozer and Lamar Odom. (Lisa Blumenfeld / GettyImages)

The NBA's trade deadline is Thursday.

Butler and Odom, along with Brian Grant, were acquired by the Lakers last July from the Heat as part of the Shaquille O'Neal blockbuster. Divac came to the Lakers in an off-season attempt to help fill the void left by O'Neal's departure, but Divac has been injury-plagued and played only eight games all season.

Boozer spurned the Cavaliers in the off-season to sign a six-year, $68 million contract with the Jazz. He came under fire from the Cavaliers when they claimed he bolted for Utah after reneging on a verbal agreement to work out a long-term deal to stay in Cleveland.

And recently Boozer has also caught heat in Utah, with owner Larry Miller saying that he overpaid for Boozer "for what we expected."

Guest Failed Mascot

LeBron made Boozer better. I wouldn't be surprised to see Odom traded now unless they move him to the SF spot.

What an odd trade for Utah. I guess they figure now they can go Okur-Kirilenko-Harpring-Butler-whoever, I know Sloan had issues with playing Okur-Boozer-Kirilenko-Harpring in the same unit, but I'd think they could get more for Boozer than that. Caron Butler is a nice player, but who knows when Vlade will play, and George just eats salary. It's sounds like they're just trying to free themselves from the Boozer deal to add someone else down the road, but what other free agent wants to sign with Utah after the owner publically disses then trades their biggest ever FA signing? Weird stuff.

As a Jazz fan I'm disgusted, appalled and confused if this does turn out to be legit.

However, Haley does have a reputation for bullshitting, so I'm hoping it is just that.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I think this what is reffered to as "shuffling the deck". Both sides have new players, but are exactly the same team.

I think this what is reffered to as "shuffling the deck". Both sides have new players, but are exactly the same team.

Meh. But Booz is the Jazz' leading scorer/rebounder. I know his defense has been suspect, but the dude's got a hell of a lot of upside.

And it pisses me off that they would trade him off for such utter crap.

Butler's almost good as Boozer but without a hideous contract. George is interesting because his contract is just as bad as his play is good, so it's almost as if he doesn't even exist.

well you do still have Kirilenko.

Look, I'm a Bulls fan. You're getting no sympathy from me.

Guest Failed Mascot

The Celtics should trade Pierce, Blount, and Payton for expiring contracts and draft picks. Then pick up Yao Ming in the off-season just to see if he adopts the Boston accent after awhile. Speaking Chinese with a Boston accent would be awesome.

Guest Vitamin X

This is the same way I feel about it, but the way I look at it, is Divac and George have both been noncontributors and Butler was severely disappointing in relief of Kobe. I think he'll be a great player with time, but I would have been pissed if Odom got traded in this deal.

Crashing the boards on offense I think has been LA's big problem with getting outmuscled inside, and getting Boozer would help with that, as the other forward spot to Odom has been a tremendous weakness so far, with the exception of the occasional LUKE WALTON~ guest appearance. Atkins has stepped up his play at PG, and Vujacic (rookie) is supposed to be a solid backup and PG of the future. I guess they're really happy with Mihm's work so far, but trading Divac would leave them thin... eh, nevermind. Why the hell would the Jazz want him?!

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
And recently Boozer has also caught heat in Utah, with owner Larry Miller saying that he overpaid for Boozer "for what we expected."

Well, that's there fault for giving him what he DIDN'T deserve.

He's way too inconsistent to have a contract worth 68 Million.

Either way, with Boozer, they'll be a 7th place (If that) team. They won't make it pass the 1st round.

By the way, as far as i'm concerned, this is still just a rumor. Nothing is confirmed...yet.

The Celtics should trade Pierce, Blount, and Payton for expiring contracts and draft picks. Then pick up Yao Ming in the off-season just to see if he adopts the Boston accent after awhile. Speaking Chinese with a Boston accent would be awesome.

Would you trade Paul Pierce next year for Tim Thomas' expiring contract (will be expiring next year) and a 1st round pick or something?

Hold up with the dissing on Boozer. Dude hasn't been inconsistant. he got tired. For a long stretch there, he was their ONLY offensive threat and that is not what he was supposed to be coming there for. He played incredibly hard for the Jazz and kinda just gave out. Jerry Sloan was quick to admit as much about them overworking him and making him do things that he shouldn't be responsible for doing.

Guest Vitamin X

So you think obtaining Boozer would do the Lakers any good?

Seems to me LA needs more skill on defense than offense.

Boozer is a good rebounder and can bang down low. that is what the lakers are missing. they are a completely perimeter team, and honestly, he and butler score the same and Boozer rebounds better. everyone else in the deal doesn't even matter as they are basically bench players.

I think he will make the Lakers better, allowing Odem to move to the SF position with a starting line up of Mihm, Boozer, Odem, Bryant, and Atkins. Thats pretty good.

Guest Vitamin X

Boozer is a good rebounder and can bang down low. that is what the lakers are missing. they are a completely perimeter team, and honestly, he and butler score the same and Boozer rebounds better. everyone else in the deal doesn't even matter as they are basically bench players.

I think he will make the Lakers better, allowing Odem to move to the SF position with a starting line up of Mihm, Boozer, Odem, Bryant, and Atkins. Thats pretty good.

You know, watching the All-Star game on Sunday, I think you may really be on to something with saying that Kobe would benefit from the offense flowing through Odom than through him. At first I thought it was a bit funny to see Kobe playing PG, until I saw it was really a benefit to the way the West was being coached. Shame the lower-bench players on that squad weren't able to hit their shots and McGrady hogged the ball.

Vlade is back with the Lakers?...

Yeah, in what was quite possibly the worst free agent signing I'd seen in my lifetime as a fan of my favorite teams, the Lakers outbid the Kings on getting Divac back to make up for the loss of Shaq while Mihm would develop nicely off the bench. I think Vlade barely passed the physical, but had lower back problems during the preseason, and had his lower back operated on during that timeframe as well. He's played maybe a grand total of maybe 20 minutes or so this season.

I think he's getting back at us for the Kings rivalry.

Well, I don't think that the trade is going to go down, as the Jazz' PG Raul Lopez is out for a year with another knee injury. They're down to a backup PG at best in Howard Eisley, and it looks like they are going to effectively become a lotto team.

it looks like they are going to effectively become a lotto team.

You're just saying that now? They've been at .333 for how long?

I blame the uniforms

I know, but there were hopes of being Portland-level sucking, but those are ou the window now.

I blame the new unis as well.

Guest Failed Mascot

I blame you removing the .gif of that purple Shaq thing doing the Big Wiggle from your sig.