TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

The latest twist in the Schiavo case.......

Guest Crazy Dan

The main reason why I wish that she would be allowed to die is because she is a shell of her former self. I feel that the damage in her brain is so severe that all her memories are gone. She is not aware of anything. After looking at the Cat scan and hearing the majority of the examing doctors, I have to agree that Terry, barring a miracle of Biblical porportions, will never be able to function as a normal human being. I am sorry that this has happened. No parents should ever outlive their children, but it happens. I understand and respect her parents for not giving up hope. Unfortunately, that hope will always be a pipe dream. It is just that sometimes our love will blind us to the reality of certain medical conditions that leave someone as vegtable or in a condition that can not be fixed. Sometimes you tend to take movements and sounds as signs of someone there, but in reality, those signs have always been apparrent and you don't realize that there have not been any other improvements. Would therapy have helped? I am inclined to believe that it wouldn't, because the damage of that is done to her brain is so severe that she probably would only move with others help, not being able to register what the therapist have done. For 15 years, this woman has shown no signs of recovering. Sometimes people pull out of their vegatative states, but in Terry's case, I don't see this happening.

Now, the issue here and the cause of the legal mess and political grand standing, is the fact that Terry left no living will. Her husband has continually claimed she mentioned that she would want to have the plug pulled if she ever fell into her state. Her parents and brother and sister claim that there is no way she would ever want this. It is obvious to me that on this side, they definately would never leave a living will saying to pull the plug and if they were in Terry's condition, they would want to be kept alive. On the other side, Michael has never waivered in his insistance that Terry would want to move onto the next life. Some have offered him money to give up custody, in the millions, and of course her parents have said they want to take care of her. Michael has refused and insists that he is carrying out his wife's wishes.

So who is correct? On one hand, Michael would make many people happy if he gave up custody of Terry to her parents. If they are willing to take care of her and can handle the sadness of never seeing their daughter regain consciousness, then he could make many people happy doing this and come out as the good guy. But what has me interested is that even though many are calling for everyone to save Terry and get her custody moved to her parents, Michael, for all of his knocks and apparent sleaziness (great loyalty having two kids with his girlfriend), appears to me that maybe he really is carrying out Terry's wishes, because he refuses to waiver. As our children get older, go to college for the first time, get their first apartment, and begin a family, they become their own person. Beliefs change and feelings on certain issues which might have been evident while the child was growing up, change. Maybe Terry before would have never wanted to have the plug pulled, but as she entered her twenties, this changed. Husbands and wives have many discussions that parents don't know about and they might be shocked to hear that their sons/daughters now share different viewpoints than what they were taught. So it is very possible that Terry told Michael to pull the plug. Maybe becuase Michael has not been willing to give up custody is because he made a promise to Terry and he is making sure he keeps it.

There are no winners here and this sad case has become exploited by politicians who are looking to grandstand and take a side that makes them look strong in front of the people. This case should never have gotten to the media levels that it has become. With so many more important issues out there that deserve to be covered, our media tends to always find these insignificant stories to cover, which will be forgotten by next year. Heck, Hannity and Colmes has become the Terry Schiavo hour, as they are inviting first grade classmates to talk about the case. So I am hoping that Terry passes away and is able to go to a better place, where she is not shown constantly in her bed with her mouth open and only being able to move her eyes (which has been attributed to reflex actions in the brain stem). I know many want Terry to live because her life is precious even in her state and without any living will, we will never know what Terry would have wanted. But, as I look at her videos and pictures, I definately feel that she has been made to look like one of those sideshow freaks, that people come to see and either mock or feel sorry for. That is why I dislike the media coverage of this, because they constant coverage creates that feeling of the sideshow. Worse, she doesn't know this is going on. When the brain is damaged to the point where you are in PVS, the person dies as result, even though the body still is able to function. This is the reason why I would want the plug pulled.

So Terry will more than likely pass away in the next few days. Is her starvation causing her pain and suffering? Some will say yes. And they have a point, this way of pulling the plug is creating a slow death. Starvation brings on a slow and agonizing death, anyone who has seen shows which show starving people in third world countries, can get a clear picture without having starved before. As for Terry, I am inclined to feel that she is not feeling anything that her brain would even comprehend. Do I feel that this was the best way to do this, hell no. But the feeding tube was keeping her alive and that was the way they were going to pull the plug. The only positive that has come from this is that living wills have seen a huge jump in numbers, so that we can avoid more situations such as this from happening.

I know I wrote about this and I was all gung ho about having her feeding tube pulled so that she could die, but after thinking about this, I wanted to come at this from a more objective viewpoint. This really was situation that brought out the worse in everyone, from the media, all the way to the politicians. I hope that married couples make sure their wishes are on paper, so that there is no second guessing of what the person would want. This is what this case was all about, "he said/they said." The sad thing is that once this over, the media will move onto its next "big story," and a whole new group of people will be exploited in the name of a story which will score huge ratings, but have no real significance in the grand scheme of things.

I'd like to say Mike is wrong about people taking pleasure in Terri's death, but then I saw this.

What's the over / under?

Guest Crazy Dan

That is in very poor taste. I have feeling that those who started this and are participating in that pool are trying to make fun of the situation, but that is not appropriate. Even though we tend to make tasteless jokes out of tragedies. I remember all the Challenger Explosion jokes we heard and told when I was in fourth grade. So this doesn't suprise me, but I definately think sometimes you need to draw the line. This situation doesn't really have that much humor in it. So if you find that funny, more power to ya, but just to let those who are a part of thread, that really was not funny.

I remember all the Challenger Explosion jokes we heard and told when I was in fourth grade.

Why is NASA drinking Coke?

Because they can't get 7 up. HAHAHAHAHA!

What did the sharks eat that day?

LAUNCH meat. Bwahahahaha!

What color were Christa McAuliffe's eyes?

Blue -- one blew this way, one blew that way. HAHAHAHA

Ok, I'll stop now. But there are plenty more...

Guest Crazy Dan

One I remember is:

How do you know the astronaughts had dandruff?

They found their heads and shoulders on the beach.

Even though we tend to make tasteless jokes out of tragedies.

Terri Schiavo is far from a tragedy, especially one on the scale of the Challenger Explosion.

Guest Crazy Dan
Even though we tend to make tasteless jokes out of tragedies.

Terri Schiavo is far from a tragedy, especially one on the scale of the Challenger Explosion.

Yeah you are right, that was a poor comparison. I think though that anytime someone has a medical condition, disability, and such that it is still in poor taste to make jokes at their expense. I was just bringing up the Challenger Explosion because it was the first thing that came to my mind. That was a sad day for the country as the Space Shuttle exploded, killing the crew and civilian who was going to be the first non-astronaught in space. But, being in fourth grade, we begin telling those jokes and laughing at them, even though now I would never do that because it just is so low to make fun of something that might be causing those who knew the victims much pain and grief. The Schiavo case is not to be confused by the Challenger explosion, but at the same time, there are those who are feeling sad and grief over this and it making bad jokes is not appropriate.

Just in case anyone was feeling burned out with this and needed something juicy to perk their interest back up, your saviour has arrived! JESSE JACKSON is now on the case:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/29/schiavo/index.html

PINELLAS PARK, Florida (CNN) -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson arrived Tuesday at Terri Schiavo's hospice and called on Florida lawmakers to have the brain-damaged woman's feeding tube reinserted.

"This is one of the profound moral, ethical issues of our time, the saving of Terri's life," the civil rights leader said. "And today we pray for a miracle."

Schiavo, 41, hasn't had water or nutrients since March 18 and is likely to die by week's end, doctors have said.

Jackson said he contacted Schiavo's husband and legal guardian, Michael Schiavo, to request a visit with her, but "he said he thought no."

I suppose he was just waiting for "camera saturation" to reach an appropriate level.

Guest MikeSC
Hi MikeSC,

I feel she should be let go from this world, but I'm not feeling any JOY about it.

You're really losing the ability to make a coherent argument when you resort to inferring other's emotional feelings. Doesn't work, and you should know better, since that's a strategy the Democratic party has used in the past.

The government should have never gotten involved in this affair to the extent that it did. To suggest it should have goes against anything that I used to believe Republicans stood for.

Again, perhaps its best to let the accusations just die. Because otherwise, it's just getting silly.

Stephen, there are two arguments for killing Schiavo. The one you seem to be advocating is the libertarian argument --- that the gov't should not be involved whatsoever in anything like this. And while I disagree, I can understand it. It is a consistent argument made by the Libertarians. I disagree, which is why I vote Republican and not Libertarian.

Then you have the liberals, who wet themselves if a death row inmate doesn't get perfection in a trial, but are almost gleeful at starving a woman to death on some damned shaky evidence. They bemoan the "awful" fate of Mumia Abu Jamal --- but applaud the death of Terri Schiavo. You give Mumia a trial similar to what Terri received in regards to whether he lives or dies and you would have one of the biggest civil rights lawsuits in recent recorded history.

You don't question the unbelievable duplicity in their arguments here?

The liberals who argue that the gov't should override the courts in this regard --- but applauded when the gov't overrode the courts in the Elian Gonzales situation.

That change of heart doesn't seem odd?

he liberals, who have long reminded us that marriage does not remove a woman's identity --- then they turn around and argue that her husband has the right to KILL her.

You see NOTHING wrong with the change of heart here?

So, no, I don't buy the liberals' arguments. They want her dead simply because they think it will "hurt" the "bible thumpers". And to defend their idiotic arguments, they now have Schiavo's lawyer arguing that Terri now looks peaceful (which, if what they're saying is true, should be impossible since she is supposedly oblivious to everything), inventing memos "showing" the Republicans are using this for political gain (despite the press receiving this from a Democratic aide), etc.

The left is gleeful about this because it hurts the right -- and who cares if a woman is killed in the process?

Michael has refused and insists that he is carrying out his wife's wishes.

Again, he waited seven years to carry out her wishes. And since we don't know her wishes --- and since she, according to the left, is feeling nothing, why the urgency in offing her?

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Just in case anyone was feeling burned out with this and needed something juicy to perk their interest back up, your saviour has arrived! JESSE JACKSON is now on the case:

PINELLAS PARK, Florida (CNN) -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson arrived Tuesday at Terri Schiavo's hospice and called on Florida lawmakers to have the brain-damaged woman's feeding tube reinserted.

"This is one of the profound moral, ethical issues of our time, the saving of Terri's life," the civil rights leader said. "And today we pray for a miracle."

Schiavo, 41, hasn't had water or nutrients since March 18 and is likely to die by week's end, doctors have said.

Jackson said he contacted Schiavo's husband and legal guardian, Michael Schiavo, to request a visit with her, but "he said he thought no."

I suppose he was just waiting for "camera saturation" to reach an appropriate level.

In his defense, the Schindlers invited him.

-=Mike

You bastard!

I linked to that story in my post towards the top of the page!

But it got no-sold by some people's TASTELESS AND OFFENSIVE Challenger jokes.

Michael has refused and insists that he is carrying out his wife's wishes.

Again, he waited seven years to carry out her wishes. And since we don't know her wishes --- and since she, according to the left, is feeling nothing, why the urgency in offing her?

-=Mike

They need the bed and chair.

That's about it.

So, no, I don't buy the liberals' arguments. They want her dead simply because they think it will "hurt" the "bible thumpers".

Did the Liberals use a jedi mind trick Bush into doing something that a large majority of people polled was against?

So, if she is dead, the Religious Conservatives would be worse off, instead of having a "martyr". Right.

Are you waiting for something in particular to happen? Are you waiting for some sort of miracle to happen where we could grow back brain cells? Are you waiting for Miss Cleo to state the 'true wishes' of Terri Schiavo.

Do you wish to give us a preview of your reaction when the autopsy doesn't show anything? I suspect it'll be "Well, we gotta do something else"

At least this thread shows us that MikeSC isn't short for Michael Schiavo

Then you have the liberals, who wet themselves if a death row inmate doesn't get perfection in a trial, but are almost gleeful at starving a woman to death on some damned shaky evidence.

The left is gleeful about this because it hurts the right -- and who cares if a woman is killed in the process?

You found them out! Liberals are waiting w/ baited breath to throw "Hooray Terri's Dead!" parties all over the country. Champagne and noise-makers are mere arms lenghts away.

And all this talk of "liberals...liberals...liberals" in regards to Terri, but you don't even acknowledge conservatives who opposed gov't intervention and who are ostensibly on Michael Schiavo's side.

he liberals, who have long reminded us that marriage does not remove a woman's identity --- then they turn around and argue that her husband has the right to KILL her.

And Terri would have the same rights should her's & Michaels's situations be reversed.

Guest MikeSC
So, no, I don't buy the liberals' arguments. They want her dead simply because they think it will "hurt" the "bible thumpers".

Did the Liberals use a jedi mind trick Bush into doing something that a large majority of people polled was against?

Push polls are irrelevant, and that is what the polls were. Terri is not and never was on life support, contrary to what the poll questions asked.

The pollsters wanted a specific answer and they tailored questions to get it.

So, if she is dead, the Religious Conservatives would be worse off, instead of having a "martyr". Right.

If she is dead, it means the "Bible Thumpers" lost and the left can celebrate one of the few "wins" they've had as of late.

Are you waiting for something in particular to happen? Are you waiting for some sort of miracle to happen where we could grow back brain cells? Are you waiting for Miss Cleo to state the 'true wishes' of Terri Schiavo.

Since YOU don't know her wishes either, then killing her seems exceptionally idiotic.

Do you wish to give us a preview of your reaction when the autopsy doesn't show anything? I suspect it'll be "Well, we gotta do something else"

I'm not accusing Michael of doing anything. Michael Schiavo, while scummy, isn't the issue. The courts sentencing a woman to death by starvation and dehydration is the issue. As I said when I mentioned the autopsy, I doubt they could find any evidence of anything amiss that caused her problems, since it happened fifteen years ago.

And all this talk of "liberals...liberals...liberals" in regards to Terri, but you don't even acknowledge conservatives who opposed gov't intervention and who are ostensibly on Michael Schiavo's side.

Missed the whole discussion of the libertarian view in that post, eh?

It was in the first paragraph.

Try reading.

And Terri would have the same rights should her's & Michaels's situations be reversed.

And it would be EQUALLY wrong and EQUALLY barbaric for her to decide to kill him.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Terri Schiavo was never on life support? What the fuck is a feeding tube?

Not life support.

Life support has ALWAYS been defined as kidney dialysis, heart machine, lung respirator.

Not feeding tubes.

Using THAT logic, when I had to have oral surgery, I was on life support for a few days since I needed a feeding tube due to my mouth being unable to open.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
"I'm not accusing Michael of doing anything." - MikeSC

Well, true. You saying that Michael Schiavo wants to kill his wife isn't technically accusing him of doing anything.

He does want to kill his wife. The whole starving her to death is my proof of that one.

Do I think he abused her? Probably not.

Do I think he caused her accident? Probably not.

Does he want her dead? Unquestionably.

-=Mike

Terri Schiavo was never on life support? What the fuck is a feeding tube?

Not life support.

Life support has ALWAYS been defined as kidney dialysis, heart machine, lung respirator.

Not feeding tubes.

Using THAT logic, when I had to have oral surgery, I was on life support for a few days since I needed a feeding tube due to my mouth being unable to open.

-=Mike

But she sure can't live without that feeding tube, hence, it's life support