TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Did anybody get a PSP?

I'm astounded at how many people rush to fellate and defend the PSP and in the same breath have a desire to see DS fail when frankly neither of them really have the edge on their game lineups

Nintendo encourages the use of them, but it's something developers can skip using if they really want to.  Nothing is being sacrificed to provide the extra monitor/touchscreen. 

Of course, you ignore that the PSP has gimmicky shit you don't need, and most of it isn't even related to actually playing the games. 

Aside from the use of a Memory Stick product to hold savegames, none of the PSP's extras don't have any kind of an impact on the gameplay experience. They're just simply there in the background. Just like how PS2 DVD playback.

I'm rather amused that you're such an adamant defend of the PSP, JotW, yet seem to have zero interest in actually buying one.  You saw the list of games I posted in the other thread, showing the releases in the works for both systems, right?

Well, I'm going to own both eventually, I believe. I'm simply not buying one until a game I want to own is sitting on the shelf. With the last generation of consoles I was so awestruck by new hardware that I bought all the systems so I could bask in the greatness of their awesomeness and then noticed it would be at least six months until I saw something I wanted to own. I'm not doing that this time.

I've expressed interest in DS titles in the post above, and I've heard some good things about a couple. I'm generally not a big fan of Nintendo's franchises, so those are non-issue with me. And I believe that Iwata and the other Nintendo suits are slowly going insane by calling online play a fad and going on in artistic terms about how the game industry is dying from innovation stagnation so the DS is the Gaming Jesus that will save us.

Hell, they're beginning to do the same song and dance on the Revolution, which is, well, I mean, look at the codename. Sheesh.

You aren't taking up for your posistion. You said:

By the way, my prediction is that DS will be the next Virtual Boy,...

And that is pure bullshit, it's already been proven false. It was proven false the day the DS was released. There are good-great games already out for the DS, in MY opinion. I have Mairo 64 DS (which I actually like more than the original because of more stars, more characters to play as, and mini-games that are fun as hell), Wario Ware Touched, Feel the Magic, and Touch & Go, and they will more than hold me over until the next good or great game comes out.

You have to understand that for the DS, it will be slow the first year for games to be released. It's a new system with features that have never been done before on a mainstream handheld system from a major company. The game developers are not adjusted to what the system can handle or even feature yet, but it's coming along, slowly but surely. Just within the next month we have the following comeing out for the DS:

-Egg Monster Hero (I hear different dates for this, sometime in April or early May)

-Pac 'N Roll

-Polarium

-Pac Pix

All four of those games are supposed to be pretty damn good, and as far as I know all four of them use the exclusive features of the DS.

It's a rocky road, but as the year fades away you are going to see more and more released for the system. The "hook" here for the DS is the touchscreen and the mic, obviously. The main reason that people will buy a DS is because games will be available on it that are simply not possible on other systems, especially for people who love handhelds. Where else are you going to be able to play Pac-Pix? It's also a system that looks like developers will enjoy making "non-games" for. Games like Electroplankton and Nintendogs.

I've also got to mention Kirby Touched, just check all of this out:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/598/598798p1.html

I really don't know what else to say other than the DS is going to be around for a while, it's going to have great games for it, and they will be quite different from things we've seen before.

The PSP or DS isn't going to "win", there is room for both. I'm glad we have both. It'll possibly force both Sony and Nintendo to push the limits of their handheld machines.

If nothing that is available right now interests you, and you don't see any games coming anytime soon that you want, that's fine. It's not good for you, but I understand it. It's how I feel about the PSP right now. Just don't let that blind you into thinking that the DS is a stinkbomb, a current day Virtual Boy, because that just isn't true.

Guest MikeSC

Nintendo's problem, though, is that the handheld market is where they tend to make their money --- and that has been the case for years. If PSP knocks Nintendo's handheld market share down to about 50% --- which is not a stretch to imagine --- that will put Nintendo in a world of trouble. Nintendo, without the ridiculous handheld market percentage it wields, might be in serious financial problems.

-=Mike

These lists of "great" DS games are really unimpressive. It's all C list stuff. Where's the big games? Feel the Magic, Egg Monster Hero? Come on. If that's what you can come up with to defend DS then I'm not looking at a bright future for it.

It doesn't seem like Nintendo is really behind it. It's not even the next generation Gameboy, that's still coming sometime in the future.

Feel the Magic is a great game in my opinion. It's use of the touch screen is just awesome, I love it. That is where the DS will really shine: how it allows games to use that feature. I'm not saying all games need to do that though. Mario 64 DS would be just fine even without the touch screen and mini-games. I am very impressed with how good that game plays and looks.

The DS isn't a new GameBoy, it's a totally new section of Nintendo products. Come next year we'll have the DS, the new GameBoy, and the new home console maybe, but I really have no clue on that one.

Nintendo is just fine, this is just a way for them to expand more, and I'll make a prediction of my own:

The DS, by the end of the year, will not only still be around, but sales will still be going strong, it'll have a strong library of games, and there will not be an end in sight for the system.

If the list of upcoming games for the DS, for the rest of the year, does not excite you, then I have nothing more I could possibly say. If you don't care about what's coming, then you seemingly already have a grudge against the system and you'll never accept it.

I don't have a grude. The lineup is just bad. If something good comes up, I'll buy it. So far Castlevania is the only thing interesting.

I do not see Nintendo supporting both DS and a new Gameboy. Does not seem likely at all.

I've resigned myself to hold off on buying systems at launch and waiting for the game rosters to flesh out and prices to drop before even making a decision to get one.

I got my hands on a returned PSP with a dead pixel. Honestly, it doesn't really even bother me while I'm using it, though but at the same time I'm not going to plunk down the cash to buy one while knowing about the flaw. My impressions are fairly positive on it as a unit but nothing on the current game line-up is a must have for me.

On the other hand, the DS just doesn't really appeal to me right now aside from the backwards compatibility. Of course that means nothing since I already have a GBA.

As for the comparison of the DS to the Virtual Boy, considering that the third parties seem much more comfortable releasing games for the DS in contrast to the Virtual Boy, that comparison doesn't hold much weight. Virtual Boy is more like the e-Card Reader; they're gimmicked to the point that it constrains their usefulness and ultimately dooms them to failure.

The DS isn't a new GameBoy, it's a totally new section of Nintendo products. Come next year we'll have the DS, the new GameBoy, and the new home console maybe, but I really have no clue on that one.

I really hope they don't come out with a new Game Boy that soon. If Nintendo is working with three devices which all have 3D capabilites, they will be stretching themselves REAL thin. Keep in mind, while the features of the DS like touch screen and mic look cool, a lot of people and developers are just interested in it because it's the cool new high-tech device, and once Nintendo releases a more powerful handheld, companies like EA and Activision will ditch the DS in favor of the new Game Boy. So I would like Nintendo to hold off for a couple of years on a new Game Boy. The problem with this is the fact that, since the GBA is almost dead now, they can't let the Game Boy brand stagnate, lest the public forget about it. From a purely business standpoint (without regard for the "innovation" Nintendo constantly preaches about), were I running Nintendo I would have forgone the creation of the DS in favor of a new Game Boy which would have been released in November 2005. While I understand Nintendo's eagerness to launch a pre-emptive strike against Sony, I can't help but think they're falling into one of the same traps Sega fell into (releasing too much damn hardware). Despite this, I think the DS's features look really promising, but I don't think there have been any games released so far which really take advantage of the system's potential.

By the way, how well do you people see the PSP selling? It's been outselling the DS for a while in Japan, but I'm not sure about its fortunes in the US. Sony basically held off on advertising it on TV until this week, which I think was a pretty dumb move considering how much of a huge deal it is to their corporate resurgence.

You aren't taking up for your posistion. You said:

I don't mean in terms of numbers, I mean in terms of being a rotten egg. My guess is it will have a short lifespan as Nintendo will introduce a new Game Boy that keeps the traditional one-screen setup shortly down the road.

I guess I was simply using VB because it's Nintendo's only real notable bomb. I guess to be more accurate I should say Sega Dreamcast instead.

I have Mairo 64 DS

Rehash. It might be good, but nobody's going to pay $150 for it.

Wario Ware Touched

Semi-rehash.

Feel the Magic

One good game.

Touch & Go

Ehh.. Supposedly, it started life as a tech demo and shows it.

You have to understand that for the DS, it will be slow the first year for games to be released. It's a new system with features that have never been done before on a mainstream handheld system from a major company. The game developers are not adjusted to what the system can handle or even feature yet, but it's coming along, slowly but surely.

Bullshit. The day they announced the thing they had a video with representatives and some programmers from various companies all talking about the thing and how exciting it will be and how they're making games for it. All that time to make the game and so far, nothing. Even the damn Metroid game is still a demo and they've been showing that off since trade shows before the system is released.

The "hook" here for the DS is the touchscreen and the mic, obviously.

What? Those are the most gimmicky features of the system. At least the vertical two-screen setup allows for something even the laziest developer can use, such as having a minimap on one screen. The touch screen and the mic are the next SNES mouse or NES Power Pad. Goofy little tricks that will be forgotten about except by the nostalgic in 12 years.

If you think that voice games are the future, go play LifeLine for PS2 and you'll quickly change your position.

The main reason that people will buy a DS is because games will be available on it that are simply not possible on other systems

So far, the touch screen has not proven to be anything other than a novelty and both Xbox and PS2 have microphone support.

a system that looks like developers will enjoy making "non-games" for. Games like Electroplankton and Nintendogs.

And those have always sold so well.

Well, I played my brother's Ridge Racer game for it. Not bad at all. I certainly wouldn't fork over what Sony is asking for the system but I can see why others would. It also came w/ Spiderman 2 the movie which looks incredible on it. No dead pixels from what I could tell.

Guest DVD Spree

Pac Pix is fucking awesome.

JFYI, there are a lot of people at work with both PSPs and DSes, who've had them since Japanese release and have had to write very in-depth reviews and critiques of both machines as well as their software.

The general consensus is that the PSP, while an incredible and beautiful and flashy piece of kit, is just a PS2. Once you get over the initial awe of having all that power in your hands, once you get down to it it's just the same old stuff as before (although RR and WipEout look fantastic).

When it actually comes down to gameplay, to a man they all agree taht the DS is not only the most fun to play, but is the only one that actually offers something new and different.

At lunchtimes, it's as common to see a tableful of guys sitting down scribbling away at DSes as it is to see the inter-mag SFIII tourneys, Halo 2 Live sessions or anything else. And anything piece of current technology that gets the thumbs up from our retro editor who hates everything except 8-bit classics has GOT to be good.

But asking people to get over the ingrained and justified Nintendo prejudice ain't going to be easy...

If PSP knocks Nintendo's handheld market share down to about 50% --- which is not a stretch to imagine --- that will put Nintendo in a world of trouble.

Considering they appeal to disparate markets, and we're hardly in an economic boom right now, where are all the buyers willing to fork out that much money for a handheld and 50 bucks for games going to come from?

By the way, how well do you people see the PSP selling? It's been outselling the DS for a while in Japan, but I'm not sure about its fortunes in the US.

Japan is brimming over with tech-heads who have to have the latest little gadgets. We've got our share here, naturally, and I suspect that will be most of the early adopters. It really depends on how many games make it here and how well they're marketed.

Aside from the use of a Memory Stick product to hold savegames, none of the PSP's extras don't have any kind of an impact on the gameplay experience. They're just simply there in the background. Just like how PS2 DVD playback.

Yet, it's gimmicky shit you don't need, correct? And oh joy, a memory card for a

handheld. Delicious.

Are there any plans for good movies to be on UMD? I see crap like Resident Evil Apocalypse out now. Oh, it's getting Charlie's Angels Full Throttle. Hooray.

And I believe that Iwata and the other Nintendo suits are slowly going insane by calling online play a fad

I seem to recall them backpeddling on that and saying the Rev will include online play. Although to be fair Sony's support of online play is spottier and spottier these days. Only MS seems to be heavily embracing it.

and going on in artistic terms about how the game industry is dying from innovation stagnation

It is, though. For every Katamari there's at least 10 sequels, remakes, upgrades, retrofits, etc. Of course, Nintendo's largely been the pot as far as that goes. The number of actual *original* GBA titles is extremely low. It'd say that the number of truly original PSP games and DS games slated for release now is equal or greater than any of the ones on GBA.

The PSP or DS isn't going to "win", there is room for both. I'm glad we have both. It'll possibly force both Sony and Nintendo to push the limits of their handheld machines.

There are plenty of Sony fans who would hate for that to happen. They want Sony to crush Nintendo and conquer the handheld market. Because, you know, Sony's console domination have done them such a world of good.

BTW, I'm interested in a DS but don't really care for a PSP right now. Depending on which releases get confirmed for the US, I may pick one up. The PSP has too many "hits" like Wipeout, Tony Hawk, Need for Speed--stuff I never cared for on PS1 and certainly don't care about now. I'm shocked they get a new Toshinden for it.

But asking people to get over the ingrained and justified Nintendo prejudice ain't going to be easy...

And that is the truth. Have you played Pac-Pix btw? I'm just itching to finally play that sucker.

I've said all I'm going to say about the DS, it's just no use if what is out there in front of you doesn't say that the DS is a success to you. Just mark my words, by the end of the year the DS will be such a proven success that you flat out will not be able to say it is going to die any time soon, unless that's just what you want and you just ignore the facts. Go ahead, bump this thread up every now and then especially at the end of the year. I'll still stand behind everything I've said, because I know that I'm right, and those who don't "get" the DS yet, well, you'll be the one proven wrong. ;)

For now, I'm off to play the hell out of the five games I already have for it. :P

I'm hoping the DS is a failure just because it's funny to see Nintendo becoming more and more irrelevant.

I'll buy a PSP when it has a good game.

It is funny how Gamecube is far and away the best system, yet has the worst sales. Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, F-Zero GX, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Super Monkey Ball 1, Super Monkey Ball 2, RE 0, RE Remake, Mairo Kart.. Nothing on PS2 can compete with that except for FFX and maybe GTA:SA.

And I wouldn't buy PSP if it was $50. Why buy a system so you can play worse games at the same price on a smaller screen?

Just coming back from my local EB--wow, it's amazing the number of riff-raffs and white trash that want the PSP.

I'm terrified to go near the electronics section at Wal-Mart now.

There are swarms of nerds in my local EB as well, I usually only ever go in there once every month or so to see what new shit they have, but there is no way I'm going anywhere near it for the time being. They be scary, scary folk.

I'm hoping the DS is a failure just because it's funny to see Nintendo becoming more and more irrelevant.

I'll buy a PSP when it has a good game.

It is funny how Gamecube is far and away the best system, yet has the worst sales. Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 4, F-Zero GX, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Super Monkey Ball 1, Super Monkey Ball 2, RE 0, RE Remake, Mairo Kart.. Nothing on PS2 can compete with that except for FFX and maybe GTA:SA.

And I wouldn't buy PSP if it was $50. Why buy a system so you can play worse games at the same price on a smaller screen?

That just means it's the best system for you. You evidently enjoy those type of games. But you can't really say that makes it 'far and away the best system'.

I for one don't like the Resident Evil games. I don't really like the Fzero games. The monkey balls IMO are annoying. There are better shooters then Metroid Prime, Halo for instance. I don't find them 'kiddy' but I'm not really into the whole Mario thing, not unless theres like a bunch of kids to play Mario Party with or something, then it's fun but other then that, not really. etc. Plus, I don't like the Gamecube controller.

For those reasons and others.."I" think the Gamecube is the worse system of the three. But of course that's only to me, I can't say it actually IS the worse system.

Except that the DC was ..y'know..good. Just wound up having really bad timing, and drowned in a sea of PS2 overhype.

Not really. Almost all of Sega's first-party titles were disappointing except for sports games and the occasional something like Virtua Fighter. Oh sure, there's a number of hardcore types that will swear up on down to love the qurkiest games like ChuChu Rocket and Shenmue, but they're few and far between.

Plus, Sega really failed at getting broadband adapters even while marketing the SegaNet service like mad, then failed to even produce the DVD add-on when other consoles were making big noise for playing DVDs.

I keep getting the inkling to dub Andrew the MikeSC of the Games folder for some reason. Dude, they're just video games. Don't give Sony any of your money if you don't like them instead of acting like some GameFAQ board schmuck.

Though I do agree that paying $300 for a portable system and $50 a game is completely ludicrous, regardless of how powerful it is. At most, portable systems should only retail for about $150 right out of the gate. The PSP will struggle a bit to start, buoyed by the tech-heads that need every new bit of technology that comes out, and once Sony drops the price (which should be within next summer if they're smart, or even this Christmas), people should be more comfortable plunking down the cash.

Yet, it's gimmicky shit you don't need, correct?

Gimmicky shit is fine as long as it doesn't get in my way of actually using the software. But right now the most widely-anticipated DS titles are the ones that use touchscreens and microphones as a gameplay crutch. Eventually the developers will get over that and either use it wisely or not use it at all.

The same abuse of technology came when FMVs first became available on the SegaCD, too. Remember the endless floods of titles that were just watching an FMV play while pressing buttons to keep it playing? The most fondly remembered SegaCD game, Sonic CD, barely used FMV at all. In fact, most of the time it looked like a Genesis game with more sprites and better sound.

And oh joy, a memory card for a

handheld.  Delicious.

Would you prefer the bulk of a built in burner or hard drive? If we're going to start using read-only media, we need to save our data to SOMETHING.

And yes, I prefer memory cards to on-cartridge saves because it allows me to rent something and keep my save. I don't know if you were as active in renting and playing things in the S/NES days as I was, but I hated renting Link To The Past from Blockbuster and then getting it back to find out that my Death Mountain save was rewritten by some guy on the 3rd dungeon who named his hero Fred.

Are there any plans for good movies to be on UMD?  I see crap like Resident Evil Apocalypse out now.  Oh, it's getting Charlie's Angels Full Throttle.  Hooray.

You're bitching about something not worth bitching about. First of all, you don't have to buy UMD movies, and I don't plan to because I have a DVD player and an HDTV and a portable DVD system so I don't need them.

But secondly, and the point you apparently missed, is that Sony isn't the only one doing that stunt.

It is, though.

The industry is stronger than ever.

For every Katamari there's at least 10 sequels, remakes, upgrades, retrofits, etc.

Well, I guess if they're examining themselves. As far as I know, Nintendo is the one most heavily the games of the 1980s and 1990s on modern system. The choices outside their bubble are much more vast.

Because of the crushing debt that I'll be facing come....oh, two months from now, when I'm finally done with school, I've determined not to purchase any further game system until a) I'm gainfully employed and b) the new next-gen systems come out, I'm supposing somewhere around this time or so next year. I'd have to agree with others here about the price of the PSP, especially since for the amount of money it'd cost to buy the system and even just a handful of games for it, I could just save the cash to put towards the PS3 or X-Box 2.

All of that said, I probably will wind up with a PSP at some point, because it has captured my interest.

Which is more than I can say for the DS. I'd probably only take one if it was given to me free - and even then, I'd probably just turn around and sell it on Ebay.

Here are a few reports from IGN about the launch of the PSP:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/598/598794p1.html

http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599156p1.html

http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599185p1.html

When I was in WalMart today, I actually thought about buying one for a second, since I got some cash to spend on whatever recently, but I remembered the deal about the dead pixels. Before I get one I want to make sure that all problems are dealt with.

While I was there, mainly just looking to see how many they had in stock (the case here was almost totally full, but Seneca, SC isn't really the biggest city) a mother and her 13 year old son was looking at them also. I believe it was his birthday, and she was going to buy him a gift, and he wanted a PSP. They didn't know the price of the PSP or anything, and a CSR was helping them out. He said the system itself is $250, and then you need to buy games, maybe a better memory card, and all of that stuff. She then said to her son "Good lord, by the time it's over we'll need to spend almost $400 before you can be up and going with this thing. You better think of something else you want."

Her son wasn't upset, he was just as shocked. I can see this being a huge problem all over the country though. There is a lot of money involved if you really want to get the best out of the PSP at this time.

.....acting like some GameFAQ board schmuck.

"What game should I buy next" and "Rate my collection" indeed.

I'm going to hold out until Nintendo does the connectivity/add-on player deal for the Revolution before I buy a DS. As for the PSP if the thing does not self destruct from extended play then I might consider getting one but not at its current price.

There are better shooters then Metroid Prime, Halo for instance

Halo is a FPS. Prime uses the same perspective, but isn't that type of game. Prime's gameplay focus is on other elements. Halo is a "better shooter" by default.

I keep getting the inkling to dub Andrew the MikeSC of the Games folder for some reason. Dude, they're just video games. Don't give Sony any of your money if you don't like them instead of acting like some GameFAQ board schmuck.

Though I do agree that paying $300 for a portable system and $50 a game is completely ludicrous, regardless of how powerful it is.

If you read between the lines, I was saying the price being a deterrent is *flat out wrong* because around here people who you'd think would have the least to spend on a PSP *are* spending it. If that holds true many other places to a similar extent, the PSP is going to be a big seller regardless of price.

Oh, nice ignoring Anya flat out saying she wants the DS to fail. That's much more constructive than actually making discussion and contributing.

Funny, Mike himself has made far better contributions to this thread himself than she did.

"GameFAQs schmuck?" That's so off-base and such a low blow you should be ashamed of yourself for saying it.

The same abuse of technology came when FMVs first became available on the SegaCD, too.

That's as lousy a comparison as the Virtual Boy earlier.

And frankly, a "gimmick" that Nintendo was the first to heavily implement, analog sticks, we see on all the systems now.

Not that I think the DS' gimmicks are going to be as successful, but I applaud them for trying something new.

But right now the most widely-anticipated DS titles are the ones that use touchscreens and microphones as a gameplay crutch.

Well, not most of the ones I'm most anticipating. *shrug*

And yes, I prefer memory cards to on-cartridge saves because it allows me to rent something and keep my save. I don't know if you were as active in renting and playing things in the S/NES days as I was, but I hated renting Link To The Past from Blockbuster and then getting it back to find out that my Death Mountain save was rewritten by some guy on the 3rd dungeon who named his hero Fred.

Good news! You can't rent PSP games--yet. :P

Well, I guess if they're examining themselves.

Take a look at that PSP library. NFS, Wipeout, DS Chronicles, Twisted Metal, etc--hot damn, the innovation! At least Konami is doing something different with Acid.

If you want games that are providing something new on the PSP, that selection is, to use your own words, "bare fucking thin." I'll admit that plenty of the DS games that look interesting to me aren't innovative, but the updates the PSP are offering are to games that I personally don't care for anyway.

Innovation is overrated. I'd rather have the status quo.

Not only do I want DS to fail, I want Nintendo itself to go 3rd party like Sega had to. That would be good.

Because I don't like DS? Ok, whatever.

I'm only half-serious about the Nintendo hate anyway.

Because I don't like DS?

No.

Because of:

and:

Not only do I want DS to fail, I want Nintendo itself to go 3rd party like Sega had to. That would be good.

Like I said, you've been nothing more than a typical childish GameFAQs poster right here with comments like that.

Guest MikeSC
If PSP knocks Nintendo's handheld market share down to about 50% --- which is not a stretch to imagine --- that will put Nintendo in a world of trouble.

Considering they appeal to disparate markets, and we're hardly in an economic boom right now, where are all the buyers willing to fork out that much money for a handheld and 50 bucks for games going to come from?

If they insist on getting a handheld, they'll now have to choose a DS or a PSP. And if Nintendo doesn't maintain their stranglehold, they have a monumental problem on their hands, as their console isn't exactly making them a lot of money.

Yet, it's gimmicky shit you don't need, correct? And oh joy, a memory card for a handheld. Delicious.

Are there any plans for good movies to be on UMD? I see crap like Resident Evil Apocalypse out now. Oh, it's getting Charlie's Angels Full Throttle. Hooray.

Um, the DS is almost pure gimmickery.

Irrelevant, since neither system is close to being worth what they're charging for them.

-=Mike