TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
krease

WWE hiring staff writer

With a good chunk of you saying how you could write better than the current writers, here's your chance to get "in"...

Job Title: Staff Writer

Qualified candidates should possess:

- BA/BS in Film, TV, Drama, Media Studies, Communications or equivalent

- Minimum of two years writing and/or TV production experience; professional TV staff experience in drama and comedy, a plus

- Willing to relocate to Stamford, CT

- Knowledge of WWE talent and story lines is required

- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment

- Flexible travel schedule

C'mon, someone here's gotta be qualified...

Son of a BITCH...if I had the two years experience.....

Son of a BITCH...if I had the college degree.....

Rando, you & me need to combine our powers like those two dudes who become Firestorm.

Guest Fook

This is new. I remember when prior knowledge of the product was discouraged.

Apply anyways, you never know what could happen.

I have. If you don't have everything they ask for, they don't even bother looking at you.

So order a fake BS in Television/Film off the internet and claim you worked as a script writer for the local news channel. Once you've done that you can write a movie script about your inflitration of WWE and call it 'Catch Me If You Can 2'.

That or turn it into an angle of a wrestler faking his wrestling school degree from the Shawn Michaels Wrestling Academy to get into the WWE and saying he was a 5 time 10th Street & Robinson Heavyweight Champion for Total Extreme Backyard Wrestling Entertainment™. Oddly enough, Shawn Michaels can't seem to remember this man as ever being his student and his lack of remembering said wrestler sparks a heated feud leading into Wrestlemania 22. It's not like WWE hasn't put out worse product.

They'll hire people who don't have knowledge of WWE storylines as long as they're willing to learn about the product, and I don't imagine depth of knowledge is a concern.

HR: So, what has been your experience in watching WWE programming?

Writer: I like Hulk Hogan and The Rock.

HR: Fantastic.

Actually, I think after the third consecutive gauntlet match where Benoit beats the entire Raw roster, we'd get a little sick of RRR as head booker. He's got a couple decent ideas, but he's more of a mark for Benoit than HHH is a mark for himself.

Also, trying to get HHH off the show wouldn't fly at all. It's not just that he's got political power; he's the top heel, he's as much of a draw as they have nowadays, and it would be retarded to just have him sit home and watch Raw on TV.

The only qualification i have.

I have all the qualifications. But the tension that would build listening to those morons each and every week would ruin my day. Plus we know what happens to people who asks questions when Stephanie comes up with one of her brillant ideas.

I quit news because of bs so no way I even apply to the bs of WWE writer. That's a living nightmare.

I have some TV production experience (and I fit all the other criteria), but its not two years worthand it has nothing to do with writing... I once dreamed about working in WWE's production department, but the shit that was 2002, 2003, and half of 2004 killed my love for the business. The fact that I'd actually have to watch and follow these dreadful shows is a major turnoff job-wise.

Guest Hass of Pain

I am qualified and I won't lie and say that I wouldn't take the the job as I have a feeling most of us who spend hours debating the direction of World Wrestling Entertainment would consider it a dream job, but I have a feeling that once you actually started it wouldn't be quite what you are expecting. Applying to WWE and planning on making Chris Benoit champ when you get there is a pipe dream. World Title changes are likely soley decided on by Vince McMahon, and Chris Benoit is so good that he doesn't need the title to stay over anyway.

Say what you will about them, but the McMahons have kept World Wrestling Entertainment alive and on the forefront where those like Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Jim Crockett, Bill Watts, Vern Gagne and Ted Turner have failed, and if McMahon wasn't incredible at what he did at the end of the day than American wrestling on a national level would pretty much be nonexistent at the present. For as much disrespect as McMahon gets and as much as his ideas are called stupid, you can't argue with the 21st Wrestlemania still regarded as an enormous event. With that said, as a writer, you don't tell Vince McMahon what to do, he tells you what he wants and you execute it. You could go in there and disagree and argue, but you're still an unproven nobody to McMahon's 25 year success story in wrestling and I doubt it's going to change anything.

That's why I don't think that the job would be any fun. I'd go in there with the mindset of pushing the cruiser division and giving a big push to Rob Conway, and instead would be met with a list of tasks to take care of on incredibly short notice before the next television taping that would like something like this:

Script a poem for Heidenreich.

Write a compelling storyline for the returning Mark Henry.

Write a storyline for Torrie Wilson and Dawn Marie that results in them fighting on the next pay-per-view.

A way to get Mark Jindrak over is needed. He can't particularly wrestle or talk, and his general presence illicits indifference from the crowd. Write it, and it better be good.

We're bringing wrestler X up from OVW way too soon, and he needs an over the top gimmick, what should it be?

I can't think of a worse job than having to write things that I know are going to flop before they even get off of the ground.

Guest news_gimmick

Wow, I don't think it could be put any better. There is a reason why so many great wrestling minds aren't in WWE right now, it's not what everything thinks it is. You basically are creative for the McMahons "ideas". You fill in the blanks for their broad ideas and see what works. I'll pass on this.

That's why I don't think that the job would be any fun. I'd go in there with the mindset of pushing the cruiser division and giving a big push to Rob Conway, and instead would be met with a list of tasks to take care of on incredibly short notice before the next television taping that would like something like this:

Script a poem for Heidenreich.

Write a compelling storyline for the returning Mark Henry.

Write a storyline for Torrie Wilson and Dawn Marie that results in them fighting on the next pay-per-view.

A way to get Mark Jindrak over is needed. He can't particularly wrestle or talk, and his general presence illicits indifference from the crowd. Write it, and it better be good.

We're bringing wrestler X up from OVW way too soon, and he needs an over the top gimmick, what should it be?

I can't think of a worse job than having to write things that I know are going to flop before they even get off of the ground.

Now see you view all those as stupid offerings. And yes the people involved are not on the talented side per se. But the true test and challenge in creating good soap opera/drama is to make something compelling with a guy that's not very compelling.

I mean it's easy to get Shawn Michaels or Chris Benoit into a good fued because they'll back up more or less the ringwork. I'd look at creating a compelling way to reintroduce Mark Henry or book Wilson/Marie part 77 as a challenge, like when Foley wrote how he viewed wrestling a Van Hammer as a challenge to make it into something good.

Guest news_gimmick

And another thing I think is that once you get your "compelling" storyline that you think is great and works, that doesn't mean that Big Steph approves of it. The amount of approval for what they want seems to be very strict, and no doubt can prove difficult to work within.

I wouldn't want the staff writer job...I would either want to be the creative dircector or the head writer of RAW or Smackdown....as a staff writer you just submit ideas to the head writer, and your suggestions...its his call if he accepts it or not....and gives it to Steph....

Actually, I think after the third consecutive gauntlet match where Benoit beats the entire Raw roster, we'd get a little sick of RRR as head booker. He's got a couple decent ideas, but he's more of a mark for Benoit than HHH is a mark for himself.

Also, trying to get HHH off the show wouldn't fly at all. It's not just that he's got political power; he's the top heel, he's as much of a draw as they have nowadays, and it would be retarded to just have him sit home and watch Raw on TV.

You OBVIOUSLY haven't read my Sho Funaki: Time Travelling Scientist from the Future storylines.

Taking someone who dominates television time off of television so other wrestlers can become stars = retarded?

- Minimum of two years writing and/or TV production experience; professional TV staff experience in drama and comedy, a plus

You guys know they're just looking for someone who's worked on network/cable sitcoms and shit again, right? Not to be a dick, but I doubt anyone here is qualified, and if you are, your sitcoms suck!

I can understand the "logic" of that, they want to see if you can continually produce new ideas and work under a scripted-television show format. But a wrestling show doesn't follow along the lines of a regular television show. A wrestling show has a different objective of a regular television show. A wrestling show is meant to make money, while a television show is meant to make people laugh/cry/scream. This is something that the WWE can't fully grasp, so I can't imagine how a writer would be able to "get it".