TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

RAW Rating Drops Big Time

After doing a great 4.3 cable rating last week, Raw sunk in a big way last night, doing just a 3.6 cable rating, with a 5.3 share. The show did hours of 3.3 and 3.8, far below what last week's show did.

====

credit: Dave Scherer/PWInsider.com

Obviously, last week was so high because people thought Triple H would show up. This week, it started low because people thought Triple H wouldn't be there, but when the Flair-Batista deal started, it picked up because people realised Triple H would be there.

At least, that's how I'm guessing it will be explained internally.

24 Finale? But I can't imagine too many more people would have watched that than any other episode given the format of the show.

I was pretty interested in the 24 season finale, a show I've never seen but am familiair with most facets of. I heard a radio spot for it, and, despite worries of red white and blue everywhere at the end, thought it sounded very good.

Eh, I think Dave is fairly safe. The two big questions going into RAW on Monday were:

1) Edge and Lita

2) HHH's return.

Not to say that Batista isn't suckin massive ass as a champ because he is.

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

I know I turned the channel when that Viscera segment started....why waste TV time on crap like that?? I bet I wasn't the only one.

meh, the only match hyped was the Gold Rush title match. Other than that you had rehashed, Benjamin vs Hassan/Davari, mediocre Benoit v Tajiri and the 'funeral' which turned into a 20 minute promo and history lesson of ECW.

Although a title match should draw big, they haven't had a switch since HHH over Big Show in 2000. So the predictability of Edge winning was close to none thus, people lose interest.

Although I'm not a big HHH fan at all, this doesn't seem like it can be attributed to him. If anything, it makes all the jokes with 'Triple H thinking good ratings are because of him' true. I mean, RAW's been getting good ratings right? He says he's leaving, then people watch, to see what happens I guess, and what do you know, ,HHH isn't there. So they figure HHH won't be there next week either, and just don't watch.

Maybe HHH does have a bigger fanbase then we thought? (Although some finales and stuff probaly had to do with it too)

But once again, don't think it's HHH's fault. If the show had a good rating, and the overrun had a really low rating, then that could be said, but as it stands, it only makes HHH look better..

It is clear that big Dave isnt the focus of the show....too bad he is getting the Jericho treatment.

It is clear that big Dave isnt the focus of the show....too bad he is getting the Jericho treatment.

Batista hasn't won every match through massive interference and cheating, he doesn't have trouble beating guys like Maven and Ric Flair, and he had the upper hand over Triple H, at least once. Nothing comes close to Jericho's reign, except maybe JBL's, but he didn't have any credibility to begin with, so being booked to look weaker than every single person in the company didn't hurt him as much as it did Jericho.

Realistically, the entire drop can't be attributed or blamed on Triple H. There are undoubtedly some who people tune in or out over Triple H not being there, but a drop of this level cannot credibly be attributed to any one single factor.

I've been, at best, a casual fan since ECW folded.

But I've been genuinely interested in raw the last two months....granted, I always follow like a mark between Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania, but Raw has been intriguing, exctiing, interesting television over the past bit.

Fun fact: At about 855 pm, I said Edge wouldnt win, they wouldnt drop the title on free tv. At 1030, when I was drunk, i marked out, and my buddy's gf, who was over, took pics of me counting what I thought was 3 for Edge to win the title.

Therefore, alcohol equals markdom.

To my knowledge, they haven't dropped the title free TV since September 2003. I say 'to my knowledge' because I have a tendency to miss a lot of RAWs during MNF season. Goldberg's title run in particular is a big blur, because I was really hating RAW around that time.

To my knowledge, they haven't dropped the title free TV since September 2003. I say 'to my knowledge' because I have a tendency to miss a lot of RAWs during MNF season. Goldberg's title run in particular is a big blur, because I was really hating RAW around that time.

The WWE Title changed hands in 9/03, but the World Title has never changed hands on free TV.

To my knowledge, they haven't dropped the title free TV since September 2003.  I say 'to my knowledge' because I have a tendency to miss a lot of RAWs during MNF season.  Goldberg's title run in particular is a big blur, because I was really hating RAW around that time.

The WWE Title changed hands in 9/03, but the World Title has never changed hands on free TV.

I meant one of the 'world' titles (should have made that more clear), but you answered my doubts anyways.

Guest JMA

What they need to do is have Batista "injure" both Triple H AND Ric Flair, keeping them off Raw for about 5-6 months. That way he'd have taken out every member of his old team and would humble Triple H more than any wrestler ever has.

To my knowledge, they haven't dropped the title free TV since September 2003.  I say 'to my knowledge' because I have a tendency to miss a lot of RAWs during MNF season.  Goldberg's title run in particular is a big blur, because I was really hating RAW around that time.

The World Heavyweight title was vacated after the Triple Threat match last December... Of course, the belt went right back to you-know-wHHHo three weeks later, but I guess, technically, the title came off the champ.

I think it's just a combination of the show not being that interesting Monday night, with the title match really being the only thing worth watching, and the fact that there was so much good stuff on TV.

I know that I've been watching Raw pretty consistently since Batista started feuding with HHH, but I still found myself switching over to 24 and the Pistons/Heat game several times on Monday. It just seemed like whenever I turned on Raw, there was "nothing important" happening, and when I watched 24 or the basketball game, I didn't want to turn away.

It's because they have too much crappy segments. Kane is good in promos but he breathes too frigging loud and HHH returning after one week is a bit predictable. Don't give Lita the mic either, she sucks balls on the mic. Focus more around Batista and people will like it.

24 Finale. Pistons/Heat.

Game

Set

Match

What type of ratings do these shows get in comparison to MNF? I ask because I couldn't have told you that there was a basketball game or that it was the finale for 24 ... so while I do admit that both basketball & the show are popular, are they really popular enough to make a noticable dent in Raw's ratings?

The World Heavyweight title was vacated after the Triple Threat match last December... Of course, the belt went right back to you-know-wHHHo three weeks later, but I guess, technically, the title came off the champ.

HHH: "Vince-uhhh. I want to drop the title for three weeks."

Vince: "That's great Hunter. Gives someone else main event exposure and puts them in the upper card for the time being. Who're you going to put over?"

HHH *with a puzzled look on his face*: "No one. The title will be vacated till I get it back."

Vince: "What sense would that make?"

HHH: "That way I could call myself a ten time champ-uhhh."

*Spits water, poses, removes his penis from Vince's ass*

----

I think I read that's how it went down. Maybe on Observer.

As much as I'd like to blame HHH, I can't. I have to agree with everyone else, and say that the Pistons/Heat Game, and the Season finale of 24 are the reasons for the ratings drop.

Guest Brian
24 Finale. Pistons/Heat.

Game

Set

Match

What type of ratings do these shows get in comparison to MNF? I ask because I couldn't have told you that there was a basketball game or that it was the finale for 24 ... so while I do admit that both basketball & the show are popular, are they really popular enough to make a noticable dent in Raw's ratings?

Over time, MNF's impact on RAW has been slight anyways. It's always been overstated. Fault what they program; no excuses about it.