TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Guitar Hero.

I have the GH3 bundle as well and the wireless "Kramer" guitar that it came with is the best one that I have personally used.

Is the bundle sold out of a lot of places? I got the game from Wal-Mart last night, but didn't notice any of the bundles. Thanks for all of your input, I'll probably return the single game tomorrow and get the bundle instead.

For the 360 crowd, download the "Holiday Mix". Steve Oumette does a rendition of "We Three Kings" that will definitely test your ability to HO/PO. It did help me prove to myself that when it comes to doing HOs up and down the scales ("Cult of Personality") I'm pretty good, but when it comes to jumping around ("My Name is Jonas") I pretty much suck.

I'm the exact opposite. I destroyed 'Jonas' to the tune of ***** and about a score of 200,000 but have a lot of trouble with that huge solo in 'Cult' (playing on Hard)

I can do hammer-ons decently, but the pull-offs give me grief. Or whichever one you call it that goes from low to high. Green-on-down is fine, but the opposite way I have trouble, and the zig-zag patterns kill me.

-----

I got the bundle at Best Buy for PS2 about 3 weeks ago and it was the last one they had at the time, but they had tons of 'em for 360 and Wii as well I believe.

I have the GH3 bundle as well and the wireless "Kramer" guitar that it came with is the best one that I have personally used.

Is the bundle sold out of a lot of places? I got the game from Wal-Mart last night, but didn't notice any of the bundles. Thanks for all of your input, I'll probably return the single game tomorrow and get the bundle instead.

Yeah, I work at a Wal*Mart, and we've received, generally speaking, way more of just the discs than we have the bundles.

I'm the exact opposite. I destroyed 'Jonas' to the tune of ***** and about a score of 200,000 but have a lot of trouble with that huge solo in 'Cult' (playing on Hard)

I can do hammer-ons decently, but the pull-offs give me grief. Or whichever one you call it that goes from low to high. Green-on-down is fine, but the opposite way I have trouble, and the zig-zag patterns kill me.

Hammer-on - low to high

Pull-off - high to low.

I'm the same way; I can only pull off for some reason - and that long solo is killing me in CoP. There's an achievement for getting 200k without using Star Power, and I can get about 185,000. I briefly jumped to Expert earlier today, and there weren't many more notes, but the fret jumping killed me,

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I have GH3 for the PS2. I'm running through it on expert, and this has been the first game in the series that has succeeded in killing me multiple times on the normal setlist. Cult of Personality ruined me three or four tries, and I haven't tackled Raining Blood yet.

Raining Blood kicks my ass on Hard since I still can't figure out a way to quickly strum those strings of really close together notes. And forget about One; it didn't seem too bad until you get to the solo about 2/3 of the way through.

I do pretty well on One....until the part you mentioned. I get about 80% through, and then....see ya.

I saw something that I thought was pretty cool while Christmas shopping this week: Guitar Hero I & II together for $60 (PS2). Since I only have III, I'm thinking about going back and picking it up just to 'expand my playlist' as it were.

51ps69qlbHL._SS500_.jpg

Raining Blood kicks my ass on Hard since I still can't figure out a way to quickly strum those strings of really close together notes. And forget about One; it didn't seem too bad until you get to the solo about 2/3 of the way through.

To get past that part, I used the "Mash Effect" I talked about earlier. Hit the two or 3 SP passages before the solo starts and then save it for the part (I assume you're talking about the quick PO section). Once you get into it. hit the blue, yellow, and red buttons as fast as you can and jam on the strum bar. That should at least get you somewhat into the solo. When you drop in to the red, hit your star power. It should give you just enough of a boost to get you through that part of the solo. Also works well for Solo A (I believe) of "Raining Blood".

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Ok, going back and playing that song some more, I think it's more beatable than Jordan. The biggest obstacle looks like getting through that opening tap solo.

I picked up the I+II Dual Pack at Best Buy yesterday. Pretty good deal if you're like me and you got the III guitar bundle and are already played out on most of the soundtrack.

Has anyone else seen the custom songs people have made and put on Youtube? It seems like a hell of a lot of work and a lot of know how (of which I have none) but the finished results are pretty awesome.

So, two years late to the party but after loving Rock Band and doing well on Easy on songs like "Woman" by Wolfmother at a New Year's Eve party, I thought, "Yeah, I can do this!".

I really can't! I'm awful. But I'm learning, I guess. I went a step up to medium for Smoke on the Water and did awful. More practice should help though.

I used a mall gift card to buy the official Activision/RedOctane wireless guitar (there was another one that said you could use the optional cord to charge the batteries... probably would have been better but you know me and 3rd party software, or you don't because I've never brought up my lack of comfort with it before) and the GH 1+2 bundle which I justified as great savings since I couldn't find a PS2 version of GH2 or 3 that came with a guitar. They also had Fire Pro Returns for $20, so score!

I've heard people say Rock Band's guitar modes are eaiser and after playing both (though very few songs on the former), I can believe it. Even on easy, some songs - even early tracks - tend to be much faster than RBs, but I guess it makes sense since you're ONLY trying to master a fake guitar (because real guitars are for old people) instead of fake drums and real vocal pitch.

Question: I picked up the GHIII bundle for PS2, with the wireless controller. The whammy bar on it seems very unresponsive; no matter how much I press on it, very little actually happens. I tried calibrating it, and that didn't help, but I suppose it's possible I didn't do it right.

Do I just need to tinker with it a bit, or return it? Any advice is appreciated.

Can anyone tell me why hammer-ons are im-damn-possible in Guitar Hero I? They are clearly there, lit up, though not as bright as in III, but they don't fucking work. I almost broke my guitar today in frustration, slamming it several times against the couch until the body released from the neck and flew across the room.

Question: I picked up the GHIII bundle for PS2, with the wireless controller. The whammy bar on it seems very unresponsive; no matter how much I press on it, very little actually happens. I tried calibrating it, and that didn't help, but I suppose it's possible I didn't do it right.

Do I just need to tinker with it a bit, or return it? Any advice is appreciated.

I would say return it. I've heard of the whammy bar being messed up.

Can anyone tell me why hammer-ons are im-damn-possible in Guitar Hero I? They are clearly there, lit up, though not as bright as in III, but they don't fucking work. I almost broke my guitar today in frustration, slamming it several times against the couch until the body released from the neck and flew across the room.

I don't think they work in GH1, cause they made a joke about it in GHII.

They work, you just need to get the timing EXACTLY right to pull them off as the window for it is really, really small. I just strum every note.

Ugh, I am so, SO bad at "You Really Got Me" (on EASY no less) - it's weird, it;s the note pattern (red green red green yellow red green red green etc.) that I totally fail yet there's an almost similar note pattern in later songs I did great with. Practice, practice, practice...

Ugh, I am so, SO bad at "You Really Got Me" (on EASY no less) - it's weird, it;s the note pattern (red green red green yellow red green red green etc.) that I totally fail yet there's an almost similar note pattern in later songs I did great with. Practice, practice, practice...

Won't I get penalized for that though? There are some mechanics I'm not entirely sure of (maybe I'll take some training...), I don't even know what the hammer on's Jack speaks of are.

you don't get penalized for keeping a button held down for the next strum, if that's what you're talking about, if that color is next in line. For example you have green/red, red, green/red, red. Keep the red fret held down the entire time, only releasing the green fret in between.

I know that by having GH1 I'm kind of boned regarding HO/PO's, but then again if there's a better way to learn em I don't know.

But I can never remember which way to go. Is it green to orange or orange to green? I mean, if I see green red green do I have to hit green, then hit red, then release red?

Also, if it's red, green, red, do you have to hold both red and green, stum them, release red, then hit red again, always holding green?

okay let's see:

red (tap and then keep holding red)

red/green (still holding red, tap and then release green)

red (still holding red)

red/green (still holding red, tap and then release green)

red (release red after the note)

yellow (tap yellow)

you're holding red the entire time until you hit yellow....does that make sense?