TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Caliban

Change of announcers needed on Raw

Hmm.

The combination of JR/Tazz sounded like the older announcing duos that I used to love - which is any combination of Monsoon, Vince, Heenan and Ventura. As a matter of fact, I remember liking the Lawler/Cole combination from the SD 1999-2000 era. If they can figure out a way to switch King and Tazz (both can't be drafted, and how do you trade for an announcer?) you instantly refresh the announcing situation.

Don't get me wrong. I like Michael Cole a lot more lately than when he first started. If you listen to his commentary with Tazz on the Chris Benoit DVD, he seems much looser and a little more knowledgeable. This is probably because he doesn't have someone in his headset prompting lines and telling him what to hype. But you have to admit that on regular broadcasts, some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth warrants the abuse.

And according to WW_'s rules, everyone is eligible for the draft, even announcers. BTW, I hate that they call them draft picks when they're really random lottery draws. No one gets to draft anyone; it's the luck of the draw (kayfabed, of course). This is starting to cause confusion with some people.

If they don't make a full change, at least a switch can happen. Maybe if Tazz announced with JR, because that was a great team during the Royal Rumble.

Guest Coffey

They've talked about the possibility of trades taking place during this draft. Why not switch things up by trading Jerry Lawler for Tazz?

Well, storyline wise, it can go either way. Bischoff's always disliked JR & Lawler, but Tazz is former ECW, so it all depends on what they want to play up more...

Dames

And according to WW_'s rules, everyone is eligible for the draft, even announcers. BTW, I hate that they call them draft picks when they're really random lottery draws. No one gets to draft anyone; it's the luck of the draw (kayfabed, of course). This is starting to cause confusion with some people.

I know that's how it worked last year but did they say it was random draw this year? Given the 1st 2 picks (shhh on SD's pick), I thought the GMs were actually getting to draft whoever they wanted this year.

I definitely think a switch of announcers is needed, and would keep things fresh. I agree that switching Tazz to RAW and Lawler to Smackdown would probably be the most logical. Maybe if they can't work something out with the draft, maybe they could run some kind of angle with Bischoff and Tazz at the ECW PPV this Sunday? Likely wouldn't happen, but who knows?

Some of you brought up bringing in someone like Mike Tenay or Joey Styles...let's face it, though...none of the four guys they have now are going anywhere.

Because Kevin Dunn is only going to hire pretty young men who barely know anything about wrestling.

Are you trying to insinuate something about Kevin Dunn here?

I don't think he's trying to inseminate anything.....

JR and Lawler could roam backstage pointlessly like the diva's doing interviews and whatnot. And Lawler can host the whore contests.

I didn't buy JR's forced enthusiasm for ECW last night.

I dont really have a problem with him, though.

Though I think Lawler's getting a little thin.

A LITTLE thin? Every time Lawler opens his mouth, I wish someone would beat the ever-loving shit out of him.

A LITTLE thin? Every time Lawler opens his mouth, I wish someone would beat the ever-loving shit out of him.

Well, Victoria did kick him in the balls just last week on Raw. It's just too bad that something like that doesn't happen more often.

Guest bort

I think they have to move Josh Matthews up to one of the big shows somtime soon, if they moved King to Smackdown for Tazz they could toss Matthews in there to create a 3 man team, or at least use him as like WCW used to use Tenay as a Cruiserweight expert.

I think that if Smackdown was a better show Cole wouldnt sound nearly as bad, when smackdown was rocking i thought the Cole/Tazz combo was money

I know that's how it worked last year but did they say it was random draw this year? Given the 1st 2 picks (shhh on SD's pick), I thought the GMs were actually getting to draft whoever they wanted this year.

Nope. If you listen to the broadcast, they constantly refer to it as the "luck of the draw". Otherwise, why would Bischoff have been so surprised and shocked about his first "pick"?

Plus, it kinda takes all the guesswork out of the picks. The GMs would simply pick the 5 biggest superstars, and fuck all the rest.

See, this is why they should get rid of the word "draft", because it implies choice.

Guest Fook

What I hate about Cole is his tendency to point out the complete fucking obvious.

Example:

Undertaker's music hits and he walks out.

Cole: "It's the Undertaker!"

The content of Matthew's announcing is very good, it's just his delivery makes him sound nerdy. Yes, even to wrestling fans. I still maintain that the greatest announce team in the history of this sport was Tazz/Matthews on Velocity. They knew no-one in management was listening, so they just let loose.

Guest jac52

I agree there is something lacking from JR these days everything he says is so scripted. They need to bring back Macho Man

I agree there is something lacking from JR these days everything he says is so scripted.    They need to bring back Macho Man

I thought JR just deteriorated himself and came up with lame terms over time like "Bah Gawd!" and "Damn yew, ya heartless son of a bitch! Ya proved yer point!" (you never know, though). I guess Vince came up with the idea for JR yelling, which is what Vince used to do on commentary whenever he thought the match finish was about to come. Not as bad as JR's yelling if a heel beats the hell out of a face, but still annoying.

If the Macho Man is brought back, all he'll do is shoot on Hogan the whole night and tell him to "Be a man" and challenge him again through another rap. I think we've heard enough of that boring bullshit.

What I hate about Cole is his tendency to point out the complete fucking obvious.

Example:

Undertaker's music hits and he walks out.

Cole:  "It's the Undertaker!"

I personally like when the really fucking obvious is happening and the announcers can't figure it out.

[somebody is out mouthing off, suddenly Jericho's music hits]

JR: What's going on? Who's this?

[Heel rushes out to sneak attack face and begins pounding the shit out of him]

JR: What's he doing here?

To his credit, Lawler actually some times calls JR on some of his more idiotic questions and statements.

Worst Case Scenario: Romero & Grisham.

I can top that. Three-person announce team. Romero. Grisham. And the announcing antichrist... Ivory~!

I thought Lita was the announcing antichrist...

How soon we have forgotten Ernest Miller...

Ernest Miller isn't even nearly as bad as Ivory was. Ivory was absolutely BRUTAL.

They should hire Stevie Ray to be a commentator. 'Cause Suckas Gotta Know.

From what I've heard, WWE only wants announcers that have a certain look. And they aren't really concerned about their actual talent and knowledge of the wrestling business.

Which is why lately they've hired people like Romero and Grisham, and before them Jonathan Coachman.

So I'm pretty sure this leaves out Mike Tenay and Scott Hudson.

WWE at one time wanted Joey Styles but he already has a cushy job outside the wrestling biz.

I think WWE should go for Joel Gertner and/or Cyrus as new announcers.

They should hire Stevie Ray to be a commentator. 'Cause Suckas Gotta Know.

I'll second the hiring of Straight Shootin' Stevie Ray . . . I'll never forget his exchange w/ Schiavone during WCW's version of a Royal Rumble in Australia

Schiavone: It's Ron Harris . . .

Stevie: He rolled into the ring.

Schiavone: He really did, he rumbled right in there.

Stevie: He rolled into the ring.

Schiavone: And now opening up in the corner.

Stevie: HE ROLLED INTO THE RING!!!

Schiavone: I KNOW!

Stevie: He's savin' his strength, he ROLLED into the ring!

Guest Quik

I just want to hear JR go "Mah Gawd Kang, listen to his flow!" during a Cena promo. "He's spittin' like a mad man, bah Gawd!

Worst Case Scenario: Romero & Grisham.

I can top that. Three-person announce team. Romero. Grisham. And the announcing antichrist... Ivory~!

I thought Lita was the announcing antichrist...

How soon we have forgotten Ernest Miller...

Ernest Miller isn't even nearly as bad as Ivory was. Ivory was absolutely BRUTAL.

Dude, Ernest Miller was fucking awesome. The way he would just laugh his way through an entire match. His constant HATING~! on Zach Gowen. The guy rocked! Ernest Miller on Velocity was gold.