TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Astro101

Sharkboy sues Disney

The name isn't a registered trademark. In other words, it has the but not the ® and there's a big difference there.

As a non-registered trademark, he doesn't own exclusive rights to the name, but could sue if someone was trying to infringe on his idea. Kind of like how Vince has similar trademarks for real wrestler names like Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle. He can't make someone named Kurt Angle change their name, but if someone started wrestling with the pseudonym Kurt Angle, then there'd be a problem, because you could conceivably mistake one product with the next.

As for whether you can mistake a pro wrestler with a fictional superhero, I'm not sure.

Well Consdering Shark Boy is like a superhero, I think you could.

However, may Sharky got an advanced copy the some of the movie... and the kid that plays Shark Boy does alot of things that are Sharky does to get a crowd pop.

Well he has to make money somehow other than jobbing lol. I don't know if it's incorrect but it is a Dimension  Films, not sure if it is a branch of Disney or what but sounds like a mistake to me.

Yes, it's a branch of Disney.

huh, I just looked up pictures of the movie character, it sorta does look like Shark Boy's shirt

for comparison:

news_1761_1.jpg

movie Shark Boy

sharkboylink.jpg

wrestler Shark Boy

He definately has a case

Thanks for putting "movie Shark Boy" and "wrestler Shark Boy" under the respective pictures. They look so much alike that even I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart.

No wonder he is suing Disney.

huh, I just looked up pictures of the movie character, it sorta does look like Shark Boy's shirt

for comparison:

news_1761_1.jpg

movie Shark Boy

sharkboylink.jpg

wrestler Shark Boy

He definately has a case

Thanks for putting "movie Shark Boy" and "wrestler Shark Boy" under the respective pictures. They look so much alike that even I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart.

No wonder he is suing Disney.

I'm sorry, I felt like labeling them.

And for the record, the first time I heard the title, I thought of the wrestler, and considering he does get national exposure on TNA(or did), he should be able to get enough from them that he can significantly lighten his indies load

Does Shark Boy have the registration? The original post implies (saying "he trademarked it five years ago") that he registered, but JOTW's post above says that he didn't. I'm inclined to believe he's unregistered, in which case the suit isn't likely to shake out in his favor on the merits. Though they're both entertainment, movies and sports are just different areas and there's unlikely to be confusion. If Shark Boy had the name recognition of a Hulk Hogan or a Stone Cold, maybe, but not at the level he's at now.

Disney, otoh, is ridiculously risk-averse. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they bought him off.

- Ace, most definitely not a lawyer

According to the article in the Dayton Daily News, he didn't steal it from the Simpsons, but he was inspired by The Toadies song with "I Come From The Water" in the chorus. He wrestled originally as El Pirahna and changed it to Sharkboy shortly after. A follow up article also states that he has the name trademarked for both sport and entertainment purposes.

Somewhat Off Topic:

Out of nothing more than the sheer curiosity of seeing a 3-D movie, I went to see this movie this past weekend. This film is beyond horrible. Everything every character says is a pun of some sort (Lavagirl makes lava and heat jokes, Sharkboy makes water and fish jokes, etc.). I honestly don't see how even a child could find enjoyment in this film.

Anyways, back on topic. Unfortunately, unless Sharkboy (the wrestler) has some good connections with a powerful attourney, I dont know where he's going to find someone to fight Disney's army of lawyers. Good luck to him though.

Wrestler Sharkboy >>>>>> Movie Shark Boy

Out of nothing more than the sheer curiosity of seeing a 3-D movie,  I went to see this movie this past weekend.  This film is beyond horrible.  Everything every character says is a pun of some sort (Lavagirl makes lava and heat jokes, Sharkboy makes water and fish jokes, etc.).  I honestly don't see how even a child could find enjoyment in this film.

Really? The trailers make it seem pretty bad, but isn't it directed by the same guy who did Spy Kids? That was pretty good.

Really? The trailers make it seem pretty bad, but isn't it directed by the same guy who did Spy Kids? That was pretty good.

Robert Rodriguez, yes. Who also directed Sin City, El Mariachi/Desperado/Once Upon A Time in Mexico.

But this one was written by his son. Rodriguez wrote all the Spy Kids movies, though.

And you forget that Spy Kids 3 sucked dong, though. 2 was decent, but the first one was really good.

...what the fuck, Laz...

I hope the wrestler wins, because he's had the name longer.

Somewhat Off Topic:

Out of nothing more than the sheer curiosity of seeing a 3-D movie,  I went to see this movie this past weekend.  This film is beyond horrible.  Everything every character says is a pun of some sort (Lavagirl makes lava and heat jokes, Sharkboy makes water and fish jokes, etc.).  I honestly don't see how even a child could find enjoyment in this film.

Gayest. Movie. Ever.

My 10 year old brother, and my 5 year old sister loved it though.

God I hope Sharkboy wins. Then he gets exposure, money, and recognition for successfully suing Disney.

Holy CHAVE~! it's Laz!!

He's not going to win. Nobody takes wrestling seriously in the U.S, let alone a 30 year old wrestler dressed as a shark that considers himself a boy.