TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

CM Punk signs with the WWE

They should be signing guys either because "Hey, look what he can do for us" or "Hey, look what we can do for him" (or both), not "Hey, look what we can do to them". This just screams him getting let go in a years time because they "have nothing for him" or him quitting because he was tired of being thrown around the ring by Chris Masters. The best thing Punk can do is not listen to a thing they say and do all he can in the ring and out of the ring to get over with the fans.

Me and Rudo are checking out a 1Warrior Wrestling show in Oshawa, ON on the 26th and the ME is Joe vs Raven w/ Foley (~!) as guest ref.

We got the VIP package which includes a backstage meet and greet and photo session. I'm tempted to ask Joe about the rumours but I'm scared about the result of what could happen if I piss him off.

Card looks halfway decent too. American Dragon, Kid Kash, Gail Kim, The New Church, Chris Sabin and Team Canada are all working it.

Should be a farkin blast.

I can't imagine Samoa Joe doing anything stupid simply because a fan asked him if he was going to WWE since it's rumoured Johnny Ace has been told to sign him. He's a regular guy outside of the ring. Maybe if you smashed his rental car, but a simple question?

Joe's an awesome guy out of the ring. Met him at international showdown earlier this year. He offered me a Samoa handshake, but instead I petitioned to him for a Samoa Hug, he was happy to oblige. The man gives a good hug.

Also got to meet Punk at that event, good to have met him and proved him wrong at said event before he got signed. He's my favorite indy wrestler so I have a great feeling of ambivilance towards his signing. On the one hand I'm very happy for him, he's going to be making the bigger money now and getting to showcase and do what he loves on an international level. However, on the other hand it quite possibly means the end of the big/meaningful match scenario for Punk let alone actually getting a regular slot on events for all we know. I sincerly hope this works out for all the best for the Punker.

Yeah, I feel good for him. He gets to get paid the bare-minimum WWE guys get, bust his ass 3 or 4 nights of the week on a continuous basis throughout the year, get booked in stupid and occasionally humiliating angles, has to deal with a heavily politicized backstage area, get beat up in the ring by guys twice his size with half his talent, infront of crowds who don't give a shit about him no matter how hard he tries, has to listen to dumb-fuck writers who don't know his character or him and can't say anything back to them because they have the power to completely bury him, and his body and spirit will get broken down to the point to where "straight edge" will refer to getting his roids "straight" from "Edge" so he can have a chance to get pushed off of Velocity, and pain killers will be a way of life. And most of all, I feel good for him because in a year or two of putting up with all that shit he'll be back to where he began in the indys only with less enthusiasm and less fan support. Go Punk!

Yeah, I feel good for him.  He gets to get paid the bare-minimum WWE guys get, bust his ass 3 or 4 nights of the week on a continuous basis throughout the year, get booked in stupid and occasionally humiliating angles, has to deal with a heavily politicized backstage area, get beat up in the ring by guys twice his size with half his talent, infront of crowds who don't give a shit about him no matter how hard he tries, has to listen to dumb-fuck writers who don't know his character or him and can't say anything back to them because they have the power to completely bury him, and his body and spirit will get broken down to the point to where "straight edge" will refer to getting his roids "straight" from "Edge" so he can have a chance to get pushed off of Velocity, and pain killers will be a way of life.  And most of all, I feel good for him because in a year or two of putting up with all that shit he'll be back to where he began in the indys only with less enthusiasm and less fan support.  Go Punk!

He made his choice to sign with them, I doubt he's kicking himself over a guaranteed six figure income... yet. Who knows, maybe he'll be the guy to outwrestle Angle and win the invitational.

Or maybe he'll get thrown into the ring post by Brock Lesnar. Or face Shannon Moore in his debut and be forgotten about afterwards. Or maybe he'll run around naked.

I think my "maybes" are more of a likely maybe than yours'.

I doubt he'll be making "guaranteed" six figures either, maybe HTQ can clearify, but $75,000 is generally the rate for guys like him.

6 figures? Not a chance. There is no way CM Punk would have a down sized guarentee that big.

And RRR, you sure do have an uncanny way of making me feel like I want to kill myself...

I didn't want to post that, but there was way too much optimism in this thread :)

We had this discussion when Ultimo Dragon was signed, how come nothing was learned from that?

They can bring him in as Cousin Hardy and challenge Edge to protect his family name or be a former boyfriend of Lita, he was a chick magnet afterall.....

I doubt he'll be making "guaranteed" six figures either, maybe HTQ can clearify, but $75,000 is generally the rate for guys like him.

Even if a guy does get a $100,000 downside, it's not even certain he'll take that amount home. With a lower level salary comes lower level treatment, because there is no financial need to justify giving the guy a push, and that means little if any merchandise sold. Add to that road expenses, and a guy on a $100,00 downside is going to clear less than that. And with Punk coming in primarily because they want to keep him out of TNA's hands, there is nobody in power who is going to be looking out for Punk, because nobody in power was wanting to bring him in, and Punk is going to be lucky to clear $100,000 by much, if at all.

Maybe Mick Foley will try and do something with him. Mick did tell Vince that Punk was ready for the big times. So since Mick sees star potential in Punk, maybe he'll think up something to do to get Punk over.

Didn't they have a good feud in RoH? Either way I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping he'll do well, but won't feel bad if he doesn't. Besides, the truely talented will always find a way to shine.

Guest Brian

I think lower level guys make closer to $1000 a week in guarantee, at least in development they do.

Shortly after the rumors originally broke that WWE wanted Punk, I had read that HHH had taken an interest in him. Not because he wanted to make sure he didn't move up the card, but because they supposedly share the same passion for wrestling, so he wants to take him under his wing, similar to what he did with Randy Orton.

If this is true, as much as some of us dislike HHH, it could prove advantageous for Punk. If he has someone with that much power backstage looking out for him, then he is going to be well taken care of. Now, if only he can get a god-push similar to what Orton got.

Shortly after the rumors originally broke that WWE wanted Punk, I had read that HHH had taken an interest in him.  Not because he wanted to make sure he didn't move up the card, but because they supposedly share the same passion for wrestling, so he wants to take him under his wing, similar to what he did with Randy Orton. 

If this is true, as much as some of us dislike HHH, it could prove advantageous for Punk.  If he has someone with that much power backstage looking out for him, then he is going to be well taken care of.  Now, if only he can get a god-push similar to what Orton got.

Then when Punk gets the main event push, HHH will suddenly feel like Punk can't wrestle the WWE style or can't talk too good or some shit like that.

I know very little about CM Punk, although I am very interested in seeing him work. Just out of curiousity, though.... what is the deal with the Pepsi tattoo(s), exactly?

Guest Brian
The Tribe of OVW? All those other dropkick-crossbody machines seem to have the same tattoos as Orton.

You're giving Batista too much credit.