GreatWhiteNope

One and Only "ECW: One Night Stand" Thread

Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"

• Good
    • Mediocre
    • Bad

I think it's funny it says unforgettable RAW, as if all of them are.

As a wrestling fan, I almost need a break for a couple days after just watching tonight. I was drained the fuck out and I wasn't even there.

There's no way Vince can kill it now without major backlash from everyone.

He just produced a PPV that had fans chanting "Fuck You Smackdown", and a guy with a "WWE Sucks" sign on camera all night. A PPV that had Paul Heyman shooting on all kinds of fucking crazy shit.

Like I said...the box has been been opened and everyone who saw this PPV has been exposed. This was not WWE style with Hollywood writers and backstage politics. This was a fucking unbelivable crazy ass show.

Guest jumpingbombangel
I also feel as though the box has been opened. There were a lot of people at the bar tonight who have NEVER seen an ECW show before. They left wanting more. Seems to me as though the market is there. NO ONE cared about the Vengeance ad that ran.

I feel the same way and many others I talked to at the bar tonight did too. It's like, if this all goes away tommarrow and we're back to regular old WWE, Batista vs. HHH... I think people are gonna shit all over it. Fans clearly want ECW.

You'd think they would shit all over it, no?

But then there are still some very blind WWE apologists who still think tonight was a success clearly because it was bolstered by appearances by such prominent wrestling luminaries as Bradshaw and Edge.

God, I want to kick very blind WWE apologists in the balls, but there'd be no satisfaction because they wouldn't be able to discern if my acts were done out of anger, frustration, or because I was just "mad at HHH."

Anyone who bought the ECW PPV for the appearance of JBL needs to get their head checked.

Anyone who bought the ECW PPV for the appearance of JBL needs to get their head checked.

It's the same bullshit logic WWE uses that "People buy Wrestlemania for the main event draw" when in reality they could stick two jobbers in the main event and people would still buy it.

JR: Hey King, I heard about that ECW Pay Per View last night

King: Extremely Crappy Wrestling

JR: I also heard you get to host the Diva Search

King: That's more like it!

Oh Jesus, just thinking about that makes my head feel like it's going to explode. I think we've all been subject to such a subpar product for so many years by this point, that many of us have forgot what it's like to experience a truly great show, all the way through. After tonight, well, I don't know where I'm going with this.

Guest BrokenWings
What was the deal with that movie trailer anyway? Completely random.

I was the only one who thought they cut the feed after the shoot Heyman promo for mentioning Edge/Lita, HHH.

It went to the "Thank you for ordering. Please check out Vengeance." and cut to a Viewer's Choice movie commercial, and I honestly thought they cut the rest of the show.

It was ECW tonight, folks. Awesome/Tanaka was, by far, MOTN. Thank you, everyone involved.

I am going to check the Spoilers of RAW (because it airs on Wednesday nights here), and if they fuck it up, then I'm not watching. Simple as that, Ive got better things to do.

I think it's safe to say they are already writing JR and Lawler's scripts on RAW.

One scripts consists of "ECW show...trainwreck", and "Stone Cold's Court...unforgettable RAW." The other "DIVA Search."

If I may say something real quick-

Perhaps the "Devil's Reject" trailer was part of a deal to use Thunderkiss '65 later in the show.

We've got to make a list of everything crazy Joey Styles said.

Something to the extent of "This is ECW! Where wrestlers come to wrestle! Not like Monday Nights with all those bodybuilders!"

Well, if everyone is telling the truth that after seeing tonight's PPV that things in no uncertain way need to change (and i agree), then I challenge all of you to not buy any other PPVs of WWE (including summerslam), as well as tell your friends not to (and additionally make sure to buy the DVD of tonight's show in droves)until things change and/or ECW gets its own brand back regularly. Vince listens to money, just like any businessman does. Tonight's PPV occurred because people made the ECW dvd the #2 selling WWE of all time. Problem is, people say they want one thing and the hate the WWE product currently, but keep on buying the WWE PPVs and or/dvds just enough to make a profit to make it profitable to Vince and thus status quo stays the same.

We've got to make a list of everything crazy Joey Styles said.

Something to the extent of "This is ECW! Where wrestlers come to wrestle! Not like Monday Nights with all those bodybuilders!"

The crowd where I was loved his quick one-liner about leaving a fake number, leaving through the back door, to a taxi cab for a one night stand.

WWE.com's Bastardized Version of Results:

ECW’s first event in nearly a half of a decade kicked off with a thunderous ovation for the voice of ECW, Joey Styles. Over the next three hours, the ECW fans on hand at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City managed to sustain their level of applause and excitement, and oftentimes, believe it or not, even exceeded it.

Best friends battled in the first match of One Night Stand when “Lionheart” Chris Jericho took on one half of the Impact Players – Lance Storm, with Dawn Marie. Not only are Jericho and Storm best friends, but they also competed together in the past as a tag team. At One Night Stand, however, they were on opposite ends of the ring.

Prior to the event, Storm mentioned to many that his One Night Stand match against Jericho would probably be his last. That said, Storm clearly used every ounce of athleticism in him to go out with a bang. What happened at the end of the physical encounter, however, left many people wondering if that was the way that Lance Storm actually wanted to end his successful career. Rather than the match’s decision coming as a result of one ECW star’s superior efforts, Justin Credible and Jason interfered on Storm’s behalf, hitting Jericho with a kendo stick. The impact was enough to cost Jericho the match. In the end, it was clear that Lance Storm had stolen a win from his best friend.

The Tajiri vs. Little Guido vs. Super Crazy match was so intense that color commentator Mick Foley was forced to let Joey Styles call the match on his own because the three ECW stars were executing moves so innovative that he didn’t know how to call them. At one point, the action spilled out to the crowd. With the entire Full Blooded Italian faction standing on the arena floor, Super Crazy climbed to the second floor balcony and executed a jaw-dropping moonsault. Shortly thereafter, Little Guido was eliminated from the match. After several more minutes of action, Super Crazy finally won the match after hitting a top-rope moonsault onto Tajiri.

Psicosis and Rey Mysterio have competed against each other more than 500 times. This encounter easily went down as one of the most anticipated. Prior to the match, Psicosis removed his mask as a sign of love and mutual respect for the ECW fans. When the bell finally rang, neither man showed any regard for his body. At one point, Mysterio even jumped into the crowd onto a Psicosis. In the end, it was Mysterio picking up the win with the West Coast Pop.

After the Psicosis/Rey Mysterio match, SmackDown! Superstars Kurt Angle and JBL verbally assaulted the ECW fans. Luckily, the return of Rob Van Dam to pay-per-view stopped Angle and JBL. RVD, with Bill Alfonso, interrupted JBL, saying that he was tired of having JBL and his image shoved down his throat every time he wants to watch wrestling.

RVD then continued to shoot from the heart, claiming he was going back to a time when his vocabulary was not limited to simply “whatever” or “cool.” Van Dam said that the time he spent in ECW was the best of his career. In fact, ECW was so important to RVD that not being able to compete at One Night Stand because of injury was worse than missing any overseas WWE event or even WrestleMania. RVD then went into how he planted the seed of One Night Stand into Mr. McMahon’s head. But before he could get into it anymore, Rhyno ran to the ring and Gored an unsuspecting Van Dam.

Immediately after the Gore, the lights at the Hammerstein Ballroom shut off, leaving the arena completely black. When the lights finally came back on, Sabu was standing in the middle of the ring. Rhyno and Sabu then competed in an unscheduled match.

Rhyno, the last ECW World Heavyweight Champion, looked to be in the best shape of his career. Unfortunately for Rhyno, however, his chiseled frame was not enough to stop the three-on-one attack of Sabu, RVD and Alfonso. Van Dam eventually slammed Rhyno with a steel chair, then placed him on top of a table. From there, Sabu, using another steel chair as a weapon, leg dropped Rhyno through the table. That proved to be enough for the pinfall victory.

As expected, Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero put on a wrestling clinic at One Night Stand. Both successful SmackDown! Superstars clearly gave it their all in an attempt to entertain the ECW fans. In the end, Guerrero had no choice – tap out or have his neck broken at the hands of a Benoit Crippler Crossface. Guerrero wisely tapped out.

In a match just signed for One Night Stand this past Friday, Mike Awesome took on Masato Tanaka. The incredible resilience of the Awesome and Tanaka caused the capacity crowd to shower the competitors with chants of “This match rules.” Highlighted by countless chair shots, broken tables, tornado DDTs and just complete carnage, the match ended when Awesome pinned Tanaka on the floor after delivering an Awesome Bomb through a table from inside the ring to the outside.

After the match, Mick Foley and Joey Styles, who berated Awesome for leaving ECW for WCW years ago, agreed that Awesome had to feel a great sense of redemption after WCW made him look like a fool with the “That 70’s Guy” persona.

Prior to the night’s main event, Paul Heyman took to the ring and thanked the people that made ECW possible. Heyman then focused his attention on the WWE crusaders in attendance, more specifically Eric Bischoff, Edge and JBL. Heyman took great pride in reminding him that he was in the audience at an ECW pay-per-view, not a WCW pay-per-view. He then focused his attention on Edge. Just after mocking the RAW Superstar by telling everybody to hide their wives, Heyman said he had one name for him – “Matt Freaking Hardy.” Finally, Heyman told JBL that the only reason he was WWE Champion for close to one year was because Triple H didn’t want to compete on SmackDown!

One Night Stand’s main event was easily the most violent and bloodiest encounter of the night. But before the match could officially get under way, the bWo and Kid Kash attempted to make their presence felt. When they finally cleared the ring, Bubba Ray and D-Von fought for their professional lives against Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman. All four competitors lost immense amounts of blood thanks to the use of chairs, ladders, tables and even cheese graders.

Believe it or not, the match became even more interesting when the Impact Players, complete with barbed wire, and Francine interfered. Francine promptly kicked Dreamer below the belt. But before any more damage could be done to Dreamer, Beulah ran to the ring and cleared Francine from the match. A bloody Dreamer and Beulah then shared an emotional embrace before executing a double DDT to the Dudleys.

Just when it looked like the Dudleys had no chance of winning, Spike Dudley ran to the ring. Spike did not come alone, though. – he brought lighter fluid. Not long after, Dreamer was powerbombed through a flaming table. Bubba quickly covered Dreamer for the win.

After the match, former ECW star Stone Cold Steve Austin invited the entire ECW locker room into the ring, including Tazz. Stone Cold then invited the WWE crusaders to the ring. An emotional ECW quickly cleaned house of the crusaders. With nobody left to save him, Eric Bischoff then fell victim to a 3D, Diving Headbutt from Benoit, 619 and a Stone Cold Stunner.

By the end of the night, it was clear that, even if for one night only, ECW was alive!

I love the HHH cover up thing from Heyman's promo.

The big lesson to be learned from this show simply won't be learned by the WWE or Vince McMahon. That is, fans want something different from what they've been getting for the past 5 years, they want variety, they want something real, they want a change of pace. There is a reason why he thinks his current style works and I see no reason why he'd change his mind now. If Vince McMahon, after a huge decline in ratings, earnings, and buyrates, hasn't learned that in the past 5 years, then he won't learn that from just one show. His brain can't compute that. He will write it off as a niche/nostalgic thing at best, and a "they paid to see what my WWE gusy would do" at most likely. Vince McMahon doesn't care about money, he cares about the pop. This could be good in that the Hammerstein ball room was hot all night, but then again he may (likely) write that off to being in a small venue with rabid fans.

Well then I hope they fire Heyman and RVD, and those two build a number #2 promotion.

Given that Heyman doesn't have much money and RVD isn't a billionaire...they really can't do that. Sorry.

That said, I kinda hope this was a one time thing. It was cool and the show was a lot of fun at times, but I think this might get old real fast.

Oh yes, totally agree. Angles line was the funniest because he actually thought he had just owned the crowd.

And Barron - even if they took control of TNA. I dont care. I want those two to build a number 2 promotion.

Edited by Nice Guy Adam

I don't know if this has been brought up yet and I don't exactly feel like searching through 20 pages. There is a lot of people talking on the internet (that were there live and watched on ppv) that said JBL immediately went right after Meanie and stiffed the shit out of him, opening up his staples. Watching this live, I didn't notice anything as there was so much action going on. Anyone there live or watching notice this at all? I wonder what the beef is all about.

A couple of things I really missed tonight:

1. Judge Jeff Jones (who should have come out with awesome)

2. Tony Mamaluke being introduced as weighing "2041 fluid ounces"

3. I wish they had a clearer and longer view of Francine and especially Beulah (hair got in the way too much)

4. RAVEN

5. Also, WWE and ECW should have brawled in the ring, then tazz's music and everyone on both sides break up and step out of the ring except angle and TAz chokes out angle in the center of the ring (out on the floor was kind of weak for such little time considering how huge TAZ was to ECW)

I loved that the Dudleys won the flaming tables match because it wouldn't be an true ECW PPV if Dreamer won in the main event

The PPV was cool, and I honestly think that it will have changes on the WWE. Not huge by any stretch, but a couple changes that could turn the WWE to a wider audience like those at the PPV. Now a couple things did cross my mind...

Could Vince possibly sign Joey Styles. I mean sure Styles would have to drop the swearing, but he shills just as if not better than JR and he made some good wrestling calls throughout the night. I bet Vince loved the shoot comments rather than hating them. I really could see Styles as the replacement for JR or whoever as long as Styles would be up for the job.

The Awesome vs. Tanaka match was fun, but was JBL really amazed at them. I did notice that he seemed to be having fun and cheering when each man kicked or out, but was he enjoying the match or was he enjoying the fact that two ECW wrestlers were beating the crap out of each other doing what JBL and others calls garbage wrestling. I think his reaction could go either way. As for Awesome or Tanaka joining the cabinet...I doubt that just cause Awesome already had a run in the WWE and did nothing of note, and I don't see Tanaka as a WWE guy.

Now the Heyman and RVD shoots were awesome. The Heyman shoot was definitely in your face, but I think the RVD shoot had some subliminal messages. The big one being "Look WWE you fucked up with me, now I'm coming back from injury and you have one last chance to use me right." His comments about his vocabulary and his one comment after having Fonz state his TV title track record about "Now thats how you use RVD." I think that RVD's shoot was to put over ECW, but I think the bigger picture was that he was trying to show the WWE that they have one last chance with the "Whole Fucking Show."

Oh and on that note if RVD stays on Smackdown and Triple H isn't shipped over there in the draft I can honestly see RVD winning the gold after he returns from injury thanks to that shoot promo at the PPV.

The night as a whole was fantastic, and I believe WWE needs to pay attention but I think the emotion and excitement was there only because it was One Night Stand. Now if WWE went 360 and became more like ECW the emotion and excitement wouldn't be there after a while. So basically WWE needs to add little elements from One Night Stand and ECW's history as a whole if they want to stay fresh and open themselves up to audiences like the One Night Stand crowd.

Then again its 50/50. Things could stay the same. RVD comes back and gets shits on, WWE remains the HHH show and WWE stays what it is currently and entertains everyonce in awhile. Seriously I thinks its possible that RVD, Heyman, and ECW may have opened Vince's eyes or it could have been just another Sunday.